Couch To 5K Starting June 6th, Join Please!

Options

Replies

• ertrauma
    ertrauma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP last week and began my C25K program this week! Doing the treadmill version only because you don't jog outside in Florida in 90 degree, 95% humidity weather...a sauna is much easier ;) Look forward to reading back through this topic when I have more time. And anyone out there on MFP looking for new friends for motivational exchanges, please, by all means send me a friend request! I REALLY want to run a 5K!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP last week and began my C25K program this week! Doing the treadmill version only because you don't jog outside in Florida in 90 degree, 95% humidity weather...a sauna is much easier ;) Look forward to reading back through this topic when I have more time. And anyone out there on MFP looking for new friends for motivational exchanges, please, by all means send me a friend request! I REALLY want to run a 5K!

I am running a 5K warrior dash in July...so, this is preparing me for it...I say, just sign up for one in the fall and go for it!!!
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I started Cto5k back in may, I completed 3 weeks, but then decided to take a rest from it. My legs would be fine while I was running, but the second I started walking, my legs would kill me. It got to the point where I couldn't even walk home from teh park after my runs. It's been a week and a half since I completed week 3, so I think tonight I might try it again. Instead of jumping back to week 3, I'm going to start up again with week 2 and see how I do. I'll prob go to the doctor if my legs are still hurting after today.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    My legs would be fine while I was running, but the second I started walking, my legs would kill me.

Do you get enough potassium and sodium in your diet!!
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tips/Tricks that I've found helpful:

1. Eat a light snack about 1 hour before running. It gives me enough energy to power through my workout.
    2. Get a jammin' play list. The more upbeat my music, the more energy I feel. Very helpful when I'm starting to fatigue.
    3. If I exercise in the morning, I find myself being a lot more consistent. That gets it out of the way early in the day before excuses
    time to set in. However, my job is often high-stress, so working out after I get off for the day is a good way to unwind (and I also don't snipe at my dear, wonderful boyfriend when I get home all cranky from the day...can we say endorphins, anyone?)
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I just finished W2D3 :) was kinda happy that I was able to run during some of my walks as well, my irregular workouts in the past months didn't go to a waste after all! Everyone is doing so good :) Keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Here's some suggested stretching exercises...It may help prevent injuries and feel good after a good, sweaty session.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

These are awesome! Thanks so much :)
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    So, I have done W1D1, and W1D2, but then I went and restarted because I had been "cheating". I would get short of breath, and then would fast walk the jog instead of really jogging. I decided this wasn't gonna get the job done.
    I have NEVER been a runner. Even when I was on the field hockey team in high school, I had the slowest mile, because I couldn't run the whole thing. The other girls would lap me... how lame is that!?

So anyway, I restarted, and I pushed myself. I was VERY proud of myself when I was able to jog every jog portion of W1D1. This will work. I know it. I just have to keep at it!!

So, my tips:
    As someone else said, SHOES! Definitely. I tried doing this in my "skate shoes", which are basically flat, and have no support. Boy did I ever regret that!!! Definitely use a tennis shoe built with support!
    Tip for myself, but feel free to take it.
    I talk to myself. When I'm running, I'm alone in my basement. So, I coach myself. "Keep going." "You can do this" "Push it"
    I find it really helpful!

Keep it up everyone!!! :]
    Good job! And great tips!

Thanks!!
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options

I 100% feel ya on the weather thing!! MD humidity is ridiculous!! And last week, we had 3 days of 100+ degree weather!!! I'll stay in my basement on the treadmill!
  • liveforfit
    liveforfit Posts: 39
    Options
    I just finished Week 2, Day 1 today. My leg was hurting for some reason, but I got through it. (:
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I see lots of people reporting pain in the legs...

How many of you do a good stretch before or after the program??
  • LJM930
    LJM930 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just finished C25K on Monday and I loved it!!! I have about 75 lbs to lose, so I didn't think I would be able to make it to all the way to week 9, but I did it. I highly recommend this program! It was one of the most empowering things I have ever done!
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 2 today and did 2.1 miles in 33 minutes - I tried jogging today but my jog is actually slower than my walk - I think I am just not a runner. I am entered in a 5K walk on September 11th and my goal is to finish in 45 minutes or less.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 2 today and did 2.1 miles in 33 minutes - I tried jogging today but my jog is actually slower than my walk - I think I am just not a runner. I am entered in a 5K walk on September 11th and my goal is to finish in 45 minutes or less.

You will get stronger and better...it's just the beginning, try not to get discouraged. You have to develop the muscles and the increased cardio endurance. The body does respond quickly

What are the main differences between W1 & W2 other than the extra 30 seconds of running? Does the 30 extra seconds make a huge difference? My 5K is in July.
  • KatheryneH13
    KatheryneH13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What are the main differences between W1 & W2 other than the extra 30 seconds of running? Does the 30 extra seconds make a huge difference? My 5K is in July.

W2D2 done!!

But to answer your question, the 30 seconds made a big difference for me. That could be because I've never jogged before. Other than jogging for 30 seconds more, you also walk for 2 minutes. It may be a different story for you though.
  • MelonieB
    MelonieB Posts: 5
    Options
    Started C25k on june 6th :) just now found this forum woot hows everyone doing on it ?
  • angie_roo
    angie_roo Posts: 55
    Options
    Staring today!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Took a week off because family was in town. Starting back up today. Going to repeat week 2.
  • madibabyxo
    madibabyxo Posts: 20
    Options
    W2D2 done! Welcome melonie & angie! :smile:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Aw man, I wish I saw this last week. DH (RebelBrew) and I started Monday and tonight is W1D2. I'm not really looking forward to it because it will be about 90 degrees outside but our daughter loves it....she gets to hang out in the stroller!