Friend requests without messages: Creepy or nah?

Options

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Not having a message is no more "creepy" than a laundry list of REQUIREMENTS that must be fulfilled before a friend request will be accepted, , , just sayin'.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I generally accept with or without a message. However if I see that you haven't logged on in a month or so I will delete you.

• risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Not having a message is no more "creepy" than a laundry list of REQUIREMENTS that must be fulfilled before a friend request will be accepted, , , just sayin'.

Good point.
  • MelissaJane90xo
    MelissaJane90xo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. We're all here for the same reason and I can use all the help I can get some days :joy:
  • MelissaJane90xo
    MelissaJane90xo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Gustaaf85 wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me. We're all here for the same reason and I can use all the help I can get some days :joy:

You clearly have not been on here long, :lol:

I've been here for 18 months - you learn to figure out which ones are here for sexy time chat pretty quickly :wink:
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    tuckerrj wrote: »

exactly! those are the ones that bother me the worst, like you see someone interesting and then you go to their page to see about adding them, and they have their life story written in the about me section along with "explain to me in a message why you're doing this and this on this site and i might accept you..."

and they always have some variation of "if you're not eating x calories daily, don't add me, if you're not lifting x weights daily, don't add me, if you're not into running backwards during the full moon while carrying a rucksack full of apples, don't add me"

its like nah, no thanks. i'm just here to get a few likes on my statuses for motivation.

lol you had me at "rucksack full of apples on a full moon." I will now gladly accept your FR, your challenge is complete. :D
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I accept most but not collectors, and purge my list frequently. If you do not log in for long periods of time, or do not interact with me in any shape or form, off you go.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't think its creepy. I cant read most of the messages on my phone anyway and then I forget about them or have too many by the time I'm at the laptop.
    A message or no message doesn't stop people from being creepy so personally it makes no difference to me. Anyone can add me here, its just about community support, the messages sometimes are when it gets creepy!
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Apparently the new trend is to send a weird PM and then follow that up with a friend request. This has happened a few times it's weird because the messages are just weird, today's didn't even make any sense.

Like @Bonny132 the collectors creep me out and I purge often too. I'll sometimes accept and delete pretty quick once I've been able to determine if I'll just be annoyed either by the friends they keep or the writings on their walls.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Apparently the new trend is to send a weird PM and then follow that up with a friend request. This has happened a few times it's weird because the messages are just weird, today's didn't even make any sense.

Like @Bonny132 the collectors creep me out and I purge often too. I'll sometimes accept and delete pretty quick once I've been able to determine if I'll just be annoyed either by the friends they keep or the writings on their walls.

What are the collectors? Oh...and I'm deleting my message I was going to send you after I was finished proof reading. I suppose we could just be friends instead? :)
  • JSurita3
    JSurita3 Posts: 10,177 Member
    Options
    I used to accept just about anyone with or without messages but I've been jaded for numerous reasons. I also no longer send FR because rejection sucks.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »

What are the collectors? Oh...and I'm deleting my message I was going to send you after I was finished proof reading. I suppose we could just be friends instead? :)

The collectors...the people with like over 500 friends usually. Some have like 3,000 friends...why do you need that many??!?

And I like getting messages just not weird ones that make no sense
  • blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don't know if requests with a message actually weed out the folks with questionable intentions. So I don't think it matters that much.

It was quite a while back, but I'll never forget reading in a thread a poster who bragged that she routinely sent out friend requests to people she didn't like. For the purposes of reading the profile information, the food diary and the personal conversations held on the feed. Then she'd go off to chuckle about it elsewhere, with other people on her friend list, who shared a dislike for the same person.

Seriously, you never know. And who needs the treachery?

I'm happy conversing openly on the forums and groups. I don't keep a friend list or accept any requests. If I have specific questions or comments for someone on a thread that are too personal or derail-ish for the discussion, I PM.

^^^thats ridiculous! That someone would be that low to make fun of people like that..low self esteem or some serious issues
    ...crazy

I'm new to the community aspect, and was just wondering about this. I have several FR and have accepted all but one, but now I am re-thinking this. I'm here to be accountable for my health and have fun while doing it, but don't need drama or creeps or friend collecting. I do, however enjoy the company of like minded people and giving/getting support. I like the idea of a message with them telling me how they saw me and why they wanted to send me a FR. I've gotten myself into..let's say..uncomfortable situations before, and I'm not interested in that kind of drama. I hoped this would be a safe place, but apparently...it's the same as anywhere else..lol.
    I'm glad you posted this! It was timely for me, and opened my eyes.
    Everyone is different, and I usually don't send FR, but if I do, I'll send the message for common courtesy as to why I'm interested in friending. Thanks for the informative post!
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I don't mind..don't consider it creepy
  • mistym3193
    mistym3193 Posts: 7,641 Member
    Options
    I don't care. If they are creepy I can get rid of them later. lol
  • blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How do you find people's profiles?
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    How do you find people's profiles?

Click on the pick, then on the pic on the windows recently opened.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »

The collectors...the people with like over 500 friends usually. Some have like 3,000 friends...why do you need that many??!?

And I like getting messages just not weird ones that make no sense

No kidding! 3000?? I mean that's like a small town! I have 20 friends right now. 500 seems high too. I don't think I've met 500 people in my entire lifetime, that I'd consider "friends". lol

• Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Depends, have they completed a profile? If so, then I don't think its creepy. If no profile, no pic, then without the message you have no clue, so would say "no" or creepy if you want to use that word.