The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm a winter worrier, I'm a beast, ima mess you up trail, I'm strong, I'm trained... Head in the game... :smiley:

This ^^^ reminded me of this... which might fit you just as well... lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqoIHZpWUU

Empowering. Think I'll build a play list around this song, hunt the CD for the auto, . Makes me wanna buck up and slap down some miles.. Thanks buddy ol' pal o' mine. :wink: Nice having someone that can relate a bit. I don't care what Stan said about you, you're alright by me. LOL!

Hey now! That was supposed to be our little secret! LOL
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Downloaded a new app to test out the other day called "Pear". Reason I was looking into it was it has workouts and tracking for obstacle course training and was recommended by the Warrior Dash folks. It had a build in heart zone calibration workout that I figured I would try this morning. I got up to the lactate threshold effort and sometime around the point the app should have told me to slow down and tell me my zones it crashed my phone. nothing was working right and it took until I got back home just to reset the phone. I may try it once again but that is not a very good first experience with the app. Using Google Pedometer it looks like my route was around 3.25 miles. I'm not sure what my time was though because of all that mess.

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/12 - 3.25 miles

24.1 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 LOL!

Hmm, quite today... Where'd all our newbies go?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7

exercise.png

@Stoshew71 Killing it! You're going to be well over 200 by the end of the month at this rate!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,401 Member
    Options
    @runtimer - you are welcome! Glad it is still working for you :)
    @kristinegift - Love the deal on the shoes! You definitely need to plan for a running puppy when you are at the right point in your life. We were puppieless for the first time in many years and after having dogs that everyone else in the family picked/adopted I decided to get the breed I wanted and I wanted a dog that could run with me! Have to say if you all don't encourage me to run - he does! :)
    @Elise4270 - we are having similar days/moments... hate my job right now and it is crazy busy. I am so frustrated and all I want to do is get out for a run which I know will set my head in a better place.
    @MorningGhost14 - I know the song was meant for @Elise4270 but I am going to take it and add it to my playlist for my run. Exactly what I needed too :)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have rejoined the land of the living! I'm feeling human enough that I think I'm gonna try a short t-mill run a little later while the laundry is going. I'm going to have to start back very slowly due to the coughing issues I'm still having, but I'm super excited to be able to get started again. I'll post this month's amended mileage goal after I rework the training plan.

I fly to Medford OR tomorrow to visit my daughter for a week and she has a new rescue dog. She's been working with him for the last couple of months getting him to trust people and she says she thinks he'd like to run with me! Yay! I've been wanting a run buddy for quite awhile so this will give me a chance to see if I really do want one or if I just think I want one.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

@Stoshew71 Killing it! You're going to be well over 200 by the end of the month at this rate!
    I was thinking the same thing. you wasted no time getting back at it! Nice job!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Virkati so jealous, i spent two summers in oregon. i loved it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift thanks, I'm physically better. (Emotionally on the verge of a temper tantrum). Total score on the shoes! That's what life is about!

I'll catch up with everyone later. Just going through a "life's not fair"/beat up/pouting moment. Run focus, run focus, run focus...I'm a winter worrier, I'm a beast, ima mess you up trail, I'm strong, I'm trained... Head in the game... :smiley:

You go girl!!!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Hey now! That was supposed to be our little secret! LOL
    Damn... I had this feeling something was up....
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 I visited in June last year and I really liked it too. My daughter spent the first 9 years in WA and where she is now in Medford is very similar to where we used to live. It's also a LOT like Lansing MI and she felt very at home there too so I'm pretty sure she's never going to leave! I'm looking forward to the higher humidity levels there. I'm in Denver and it's dry and cold. I am hoping the higher humidity will help me to get over this bug and maybe make running a little easier on my lungs. I looked at the weather, and for the entire time I'm there, it's only supposed to be sunny for one day. The rest of the time it should be rainy. So, if that doesn't turn me into a rain-runner, nothing will lol!
  • mbaker566
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Virkati what's nice about PNW rain is it is usually more showery. at least that's what i found when i was in WA. so it's kinda nice to run or hike in.

i didn't get to spend time in denver when we flew in. We did go to Boulder and can understand what you said about the air

i get to visit oregon sometimes this year on my honeymoon from OR or WA to san diego. I'm hoping to sneak out for a few runs. maybe over by columbia gorge or bandon beach in oregon

dogs are great for running. they can be very motivating. my dog is my preferred running partner
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    @tweekedgirl: Wow…you will CRUSH the goal this month. Great job..
    @kristinegift: Nice get on the Sauconys. If I had that kind of Ninja shopping skills I might not be running in cheap *** L.A. Gear.

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here.
    6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).
    Jan 4: Wimped out 
    Jan 5: Ice in my ‘stache at the end of the run…that’s new. 3.2 miles this morning
    Jan 6: Went an extra .5 before I took my first (brief) walk break. 5.05 miles avg. pace around 12:11
    Jan 7: REST DAY. Plan on some walking and weights.
    Jan 8: Wimped out 
    Jan 9: Beautiful running weather..50 degrees this morning in Central Ohio! Easy 6.2 miles but every step SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKED! 12:08 average pace. A little over 1/3 of the way to month’s goal. #betterrunnexttime #ohwellatleastIdidit
    Jan 10: Sick..no run
    Jan 11: Feeling slightly better..we’ll see if I feel up to a run after work. UPDATE: Decided I might be pushing it since it was still pretty cold (around 3 degrees with wind chill) so I’m going to give it one more day
    Jan 12: Big snowfall so I couldn’t do run in the morning (needed to leave a lot earlier for morning commute), planning on run tonight.

exercise.png
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I can't keep up with where my last post was. So.

32 / 120 mi
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    While I am a sociable person, I haven't been all that compelled to do any group running. I think that's about to change as I found the right fit of like-minded individuals. The local Marathon Sports store hosts a Winter Warriors evening run every Tuesday from January through March. There is a nominal fee but it includes a couple of shirts, including this great one:

11008272_952308551459794_883582892_n.jpg

The store is pretty cool as well. They offer free lockers during store hours for any runners to use when they run around the nearby Minneapolis Chain of Lakes, dogs are welcome in their store and they even have a changing area and hydration station during summer weekends.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    While I am a sociable person, I haven't been all that compelled to do any group running. I think that's about to change as I found the right fit of like-minded individuals. The local Marathon Sports store hosts a Winter Warriors evening run every Tuesday from January through March. There is a nominal fee but it includes a couple of shirts, including this great one:

The store is pretty cool as well. They offer free lockers during store hours for any runners to use when they run around the nearby Minneapolis Chain of Lakes, dogs are welcome in their store and they even have a changing area and hydration station during summer weekends.

that shirt is awesome and your running store sounds pretty awesome too
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day and feeling fairly sore from yesterday's PT (and maybe Monday's run?)
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    1/9 3.5 @ 12:22 (3 at 11:26, plus .5 at a walk) loping around the neighborhood with St. Woolos the Barbarian, aka The Poopinest Dog in the East, aka Woogie the Worst Running Partner Ever. It's a good thing he's cute!
    (30/30 for the week)

1/10 Rest Day/Family Day
    1/11 10.75 at 11:46 around the park trails. My heart was light, but my legs felt every centimeter of the last two miles. "Gently rolling terrain" feels a lot like "stinking big hills" after 100 minutes or so...
    1/12 3.25 @ 11:27 on the treadmill. Plus strength training.
    (14/30 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 14: Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    March 6: Reston 10-miler, Reston, VA
    March 12: Lucky Leprechaun 5K, Reston, VA

exercise.png

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Jan (15 days to HM): 5.80 miles
    02-Jan (14 days to HM): 10.01 miles
    03-Jan (13 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    04-Jan (12 days to HM): 5.21 miles
    05-Jan (11 days to HM): 4.00 miles
    06-Jan (10 days to HM): 3.57 miles
    07-Jan (9 days to HM): 4.42 miles
    08-Jan (8 days to HM): 3.09 miles
    09-Jan (7 days to HM): 11.82 miles
    10-Jan (6 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    11-Jan (5 days to HM): 3.36 miles
    12-Jan (4 days to HM): 3.39 miles
    13-Jan (3 days to HM):
    14-Jan (2 days to HM):
    15-Jan (1 days to HM):
    16-Jan (Museum of Aviation HM):
    17-Jan: <Life Day>
    18-Jan:
    19-Jan:
    20-Jan:
    21-Jan:
    22-Jan:
    23-Jan:
    24-Jan: <Life Day>
    25-Jan:
    26-Jan:
    27-Jan:
    28-Jan:
    29-Jan:
    30-Jan:
    31-Jan: <Life Day>

Upcoming Races:
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins, GA
    06-Feb: Al Toll Memorial 5K (15K?), Macon, GA
    27-Feb: Cantrell Center 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA

Might put in a few more steps walking later - depends on life.

@7lenny7 - Love the shirt!
    @Virkati - Glad to hear you're doing better!
    @Elise4270 - remember, this too shall pass (no Gandalf jokes, please).

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I would join just for this shirt ha ha. Back in my "youth" I joined a dart club to get a cool jacket. Never threw a dart in my life. Crazy, they let me drink and throw darts at a board right next to the front door. I put more holes in that door than the board :smile: