WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Lateral machine- 26.15min, 3220str, 52fl, lvl7, latw8, 144mhr, 2.76mi = 231c
    Other- physical therapy stretches at gym- 25min, 85mhr, 8 diff stretches 3 sets of 10ea = 42c
    Total cal 273
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    In spite of a minus 20 windchill here in Iowa, I did my hour in my hot tub which sits in a drafty old barn. I did mostly arm stuff since my hips are still achy from whatever made them so painful yesterday, but did manage some kicking (100 reps). And yes, the acute pain from yesterday is gone. Just a deep ache.

I am so thrilled to have all the bios!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Had yoga this morning and I loved it and the company, as always. My friend came back for coffee. The only problem is that it only burns off 236 calories, according to MFP, so this afternoon I went on the rower and bike and burnt off 380. A girl's gotta eat! :bigsmile:
    I watched a holiday property programme while I was doing it. :D

Yesterday was my alcohol free day. I must say I didn't miss it, after I had got over that 6pm slump. We have both been very good since the New Year and have been sticking to our 14 units a week limit. I'm pleased as I was beginning to feel it was running away with me. Now I feel I am back in control. o:)

The olive oil present I ordered well before Christmas still hasn't arrived, so I am asking for my money back. Useless lot.

Still haven't rung the mobile phone company, but I now know that I can do it for free from my home phone. I have checked all my bills, dates etc, so I am ready to go. (Can't ring from my mobile as our reception is #×+@ and there is no email facility. Can't even get into my own account as the codes they send me don't work. Utter #÷××÷@+*. )
    I promise you all I will do it tomorrow. PROMISE.

Expecting some new in ear headphones today. I use them on the train to drown out talk, so the ear pieces need to fit tightly. These have several different ear buds you can try. Also expecting a new book out on Velasquez, for you art lovers.

I'm in the process of deciding on a new roasting pan and rack. My old one must be 35 years old and looks it. :laugh: I want a high rack so that I can get veg underneath. There are sooooooo many choices at sooooooo many different prices. Tending towards a cheaper one. Then I must throw the old one away. Yes. :*;)

Love to all. Heather UK

• pipcd34
    Options
    Thx janetr- I will be happy when this shoulder stretching will b done. Because I don't burn much while doing those stretches I get ancy cuz my calorie burn isn't what I am used to. My shoulder is able to extend better and I know it's due to the combination of physical therapy at the hospital and what I do on my own, still 5 lbs over my goal weight or 8 lbs over depending on how u look at it. I had been 3 l- 4 lbs infer my goal weight for the longest time. I know it'll come off in time, I just have to remind myself what's more important, full use of the shoulder or burning more calories to get back down.

Kirby had a great day yesterday, it was his first day back, and riding on his new bike.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Type to ya later peeps
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I stopped by facebook this morning and have some pictures to share that I enjoyed. The first is for those who don't get to see the northern lights in addition to those who do.

m4i9wrzy97md.jpg

The second is for morning cartoon fans.

c1fws6saqchb.jpg

The last is for those of us with food issues:

irnqxj5xhicn.jpg

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Just popping in quick to say hi!

Joyce in SD – I think you need to try a higher resolution picture. When I go to your profile page I can see your picture but it’s a bit grainy. Do you have a picture that was taken with a camera/phone that is higher resolution than the one you used? Maybe try that. (Joyce in Indiana – I think yours just needs to be cropped to remove some of the space above your head.)

Had another 7AM meeting for work so I did not get in my morning exercise. I will exercise this evening. I will exercise this evening. I will exercise this evening. Just repeating that out loud so that you will all hold me to it.

Linda in Iowa where is it current 4⁰ F with a -15 wind chill
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Miriam - thanks for the laugh!

Pip - yay! I bet Kirby is super psyched about that!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    celtikgirl wrote: »
    Good evening! I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to keep up with all the posts and it will take me a year to learn names, locations, etc. I'm Sharon, too, (or is that three or four?) which might be confusing, so feel free to stick with my screen name if it helps. I live in Maryland, north and west of all the big cities and trouble. I've been here for almost 30 years, so I suppose this is home now.

I'm officially jealous of Betty ROC, who lives 300 miles closer to my daughter, the grands, my sister and a few more pieces of the family. If I thought I could find a job up there, I'd trade places with you! I grew up in Rochester and the western suburbs.

I dragged my tail to the gym tonight after work. Endurance might have dropped off since I gave myself a holiday break, but pace is still there (pitiful as it is) so my 5k time is still one hour. Hope to get that down some over the next couple of months.

Sharon
    , it sounds like you live in a beautiful area. Would love to explore that part of the country some more. Ahh, jobs and Rochester...the reason we do not have a boom town even though we have lots of amenities. If you haven't visited for a while you would still be amazed at the changes downtown, though. It seems half the original office buildings have turned into apartments, part of the Inner Loop is getting filled in, there is a grocery store in the East End. The new thing apparently is photonics so if you know anything about that you just might find something to do. Also, the University of Rochester is now officially the largest employer, not Kodak. And there is always Wegman's!

I think I won't be able to decide on where to live or snowbird for a couple of years -- waiting to see if there will be a chance for grandchildren. If I had any that would change everything for me...I would want to spend as much time as possible with them.

Betty
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Katla - thanks for sharing the inspiration! And the northern lights were beautiful!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm kind of spinning my wheels this morning. My friend who works out at the Y with me was gone this morning, so I decided to go walk at the indoor track on campus instead. The public hours are supposed to be from 9-11AM, so I killed some time. Went to Aldi's, Kroger and Walmart first. When I got to the track, the place was packed with students. So I left. They may have changed the schedule with the new semester, so I'll have to check on that.

So at Walmart I bought some inserts for my shoes called "little hotties". They are supposed to keep your feet warm. My toes were cold all day yesterday and didn't warm up till bedtime last night, so I thought I'd give it a try. The concrete floor in the studio just never warms up. I've been wearing the new insoles for an hour now, and so far my feet are still cold. Boo hoo.

When I was at Kroger I asked the man stocking the frozen foods to show me where to find the stuff that is low sodium. Hee Hee! He was puzzled. Low sodium? What's that? I knew they didn't have anything, but thought if they get enough requests for that kind of stuff, it might someday happen. I'd love to have some kind of prepared food that I can keep in the freezer and microwave at lunch time, but it has to be healthy stuff. That's not likely to happen. The stocker said it has to have lots of salt to keep it fresh. Not true.

Lacey's mom...I think Lacy is just about the prettiest name for a puppy I've ever heard. Please post more pictures. She's a doll!

About Freecycle... I have used it a lot in the past, both to find stuff and to get rid of stuff. I got a 10' long glass case/counter and a lockable jewelry case for my gallery off freecycle. And we got rid of a sofa bed, a big gas canister for welding, and a Culligan water softener setup. I love freecycle.

Well, I have stuff to do today, so I'd better get to it. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Terri, good for you on saying something to that very rude mom.

Kay, glad you got the offer but smart idea to turn it down. I mean, ya can’t let working get in the way of retirement activities!!!

Mia, that is too funny about the dates. My BD is the 24th and DD’s is the 27th and DH gets those mixed up.

Mary, I do have one friend that might be able to go on the cruise with me but if not I do know someone that will be on the cruise. One of the ladies from The Women of the Moose and her husband will be on it, so I could probably bum with them some. I think the worse part if I did end up going alone would be going to meals alone. At least they do seat you with other people.

Terri, that is terrible about your DS’s phone. I’m glad your DH didn’t get hurt trying to apprehend the crooks. You never know about people these days.

Lisa, I wouldn’t mind being struck by the lottery, either!!!

Donna, you can’t just tell this group that you got a puppy and leave it at that!!! nono.gif We want details!!! What kind? How old? What’s the name? When do we get a picture?? Come on, girl, spill the beans. (later) Thanks for the pic. She’s a beautiful girl.

Janetr, great picture. Glad you are having nice weather.

CarolNC, so glad the surgery went well but really sorry that it was painful and stressful. I agree that it shouldn’t hurt!! Grrrrr

Sylvia, good advice for all, “Keep Dancing”.

MicheleNC, I love your description if Vince did the meals. LOL This cruise goes to the Dominican Republic and a couple of islands in the Bahamas. It’s a 7 day. The only times I have missed logging in to MFP were the two cruises I’ve been on since I started. I hate being so faithful about it and starting back at zero. It is just so expensive to use the internet on the cruise, not to mention slow.

Barbie, thanks for the info o the graphics. I use freesmilies but could never figure out how to post from glitter graphics. 1139721pyvy9wuo6w.gif

Suzanne, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us about yourself and sign each post with the name you want to be called. A location is nice to, general or specific.

Mindy, what a wonderful day you had. Way to Go!!! You will be seeing a huge change in no time. Keep up the great work. I’m giggling about your “purging” your DH’s things when packing for a move.

Miriam, cute comic on Reiki. LOL

Heather, sorry you never got your olive oil. I’m sure you’ll find the right roasting pan. It is ridiculous at the choices there are in things these days. Sometimes it’s almost overwhelming.

Pip, I’m so proud of you for doing what you need to for the long term. Glad Kirby had a good day!

Katla, great, great pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I stayed up late watching the ball game last night. My team didn’t win but it was a great game. Then I didn’t sleep well once I finally got to sleep. For the first time since starting, I didn’t do my moving while watching the morning news, but I do have line dance this afternoon. In fact I need to get moving or wont be able to get out of here by 12:40.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    In Chilly Myrtle Beach, SCsmiley-gen125.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Lisa – best of luck with the powerball. I will be buying mine either tonight or tomorrow (but only 2, I know my odds also). // I make eggs in the microwave often. As long as they are cooked through without being overcooked, they are good. I like to add some portabella mushroom and/or onion. Let me know how it goes for you!

Janetr – Hooray for sunshine. Feel free to share.

Elaine – So sorry about all your falls and broken bones. I hope getting in better shape will help with all of that trouble. Hugs ! !

Michele – I am certain that if something happens to me, DS and DH would eat every meal at : #1 Pizza Hut #2 McDonalds #3 Wendy’s #4 Burger King #5 Culver’s. I could honestly go my entire life never again eating from one of those places. Oh, let’s not forget Taco Bell. I’m not sure which number that would rank, but it is up there (and would be the only fast food place on my list if I had a list).

Katla – I am not the least bit happy that he chased down the phone by himself; much too dangerous in Milwaukee, unlike Winona MN where he grew-up. No one at that location knew anything about the phone (not a surprise at all). The only problem with turning off service to the phone is it will no longer “ping” on GPS. Luckily DS locks his phone, so it has not been used yet best as we can tell. DH went to Verizon, told them to remove service from the phone, and we will hope to find a replacement on Craigslist today (a co-worker does this with every phone, so I will trust her knowledge and experience, and only meet in well-lit public location). I suspect these teenagers don’t understand all of this. After speaking to 3 different officers on the phone yesterday, and getting transferred to departments that did me no good, I finally spoke to someone who listened and answered my questions. He said with the phone locked it will not get used. The Officer at the school took the report (and is a “real” police officer). If the person who stole it takes it to ANY cell service provider, it will be flagged as stolen, and the provider is required by law to call the police so we will get it back. So there is hope (assuming the cell service provider who sees it next follows the law).

Sylvia – Thanks for the reminder. I’m going to dance to “Grease” right now ! ! !

I just got a call from another department within the Police in my town. She asked nice questions, offered nice solutions, and assured me she will be doing her best. She said we will probably work together to re-activate the phone to get it to ping, and the police will go get it. That sure will be nice ! ! !

DH and I can remember our Anniversary and how many years because we got married in Vegas right after the National Bowling Tournament, and DS was born a few months later. I’m not sure how we will remember if he ever bowls Nationals with a different team.

Mindy – Congrats on completing the hilly circle of 1.3 miles. This is a marathon, so don’t over-worry about how fast you walk; that should come eventually.

Almost time for lunch around here.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • janetr7476
    Options
    DJ - it's much colder here than the normal temps for January. There is snow on the mountain close by. But I'll take 65°, much warmer than Oklahoma City :)
    .vj17y3713d8a.jpg
  • janetr7476
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Terri wrote - Janetr– Hooray for sunshine. Feel free to share.

Terri - Come on down, we have a couple extra beds. :)

Janetr okc
  • kacdragon
    kacdragon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies... I just found your board and enjoyed reading the positive encouragement from so many. My name is Kim. I'm 58 and married. I'm a museum curator and love my job. It can be very physical, and I need to be strong. But I tore up a knee many years ago and the pounds slow crept up until I was almost 100 pounds overweight without really paying attention. This did not help the knees

I lost 18 pounds last year, so I made a dent. I eat better, despite having seven still living in my home (me, DH, son & GF, 2 grandsons, & foster son). The muscles around my knees are stronger. I can walk further, but I have a long way to go in all areas of my life

This year I think my goals are simple and achievable. I won't focus on the scales. This is about NSVs. By 01 Jan 2017, I will eat healthy and moderately. I will walk 10,000 steps 5 days a week. I will bicycle for an hour @ 14-16 MPH so I can ride with my husband. I will be able to do a 5K with 3 of my grandchildren (ages 7 & 8). I will start weightlifting again (something I did in my 20s, 30s & 40s).

By focusing on doing these things, the weight will come down and I will be healthier... I hope that all of you achieve your goals as well so that we can live happy, productive, energetic lives!
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    betty my dd will be up your way for college in the fall (Geneseo) and will probably visit Rochester on the weekends -- cause they have the nearest Chipotle!! I do hope the hi-tech industry starts to make a difference for upstate NY. DH went to SUNY Utica when it was a much better economy than now.

"Exercise is the underutilized anti-depressant"....soo true :D

I am back at my pre-holiday weight and am finally feeling better, hooray. Karen from NY