WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mary. I sent in my join request for the Biggest Loser Challenge.

Mia in MI
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Dr Katiebug- My Chevy Spark has a big round cutout in the door area, so my 32 oz water bottle fits in there. You need to search for a car that your new water bottle fits in.... (heehee) You are right about the drama in that show. I need to not let those affect me so.
    Becca

I can just hear my DH now. Me: Sweetie, I need a new car. My water bottle doesn't fit in this one. He: can women not lose weight without spending money?

I like that suggestion, though. My car does have a cup holder in the door that might hold it better. But that's where I keep my tiny umbrella. It fits perfectly there.

Weigh-in this morning. Down 2.2. Still a few pounds to go from my recent low back in August, but I'll take it.

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Mary and Mia, I'm on Biggest Loser Challenge too now. Chances are slim we'll all be on the same team but you never know...
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    IT at work thinks they finally updated my computer for the new year, so I'm going into everybody's chart to sync the proper information, and correcting the ones that are still wrong. So, no time to read or offer a decent post. I keep you all in my hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Kimses- yay! I got a BL partner. I hope you enjoy it like I did. It just helped me to stay focused on my goals. The challenges and camaraderie really helped as well.

Margaret - I am so sorry to hear about your tire! That was a very uplifting story about the little girl and her ear ring! Thank you for sharing it.

[b Pip[/b] - my prayers are with Bullwinkle during his surgery. And a very Happy Birthday to Yogi!

CarolNC - prayers for your preop appointment this afternoon! I hope your husband agrees with you about your sons living arrangements. Have fun on your date tonight!
    Joyce - you're not the only one that put on a few extra pounds over the holidays. I gained 6 pounds back myself. I kind of started getting serious yesterday and lost 1 pound. Together we can do this. I joined The BLC group and that helped me prior to Christmas. I posted the link to that group earlier and you have until Sunday evening to join if you would like to.

Miriam - I am so sorry to hear about your cat! I hope you can find a way to keep that going on it! I think we all need to get back on track! Well maybe not all of us. There are some really dedicated women on here! I guess that is why we are here for their inspiration and motivation! Have fun with your grandkids tonight!

Carol/peach] - I agree with you sometimes it is hard to get outside! I went to take my puppy for a walk and all of a sudden got a very very cold breeze in my face and thought yep this is far enough! And turned around and walked back.

Allison- I am with you! Sometimes the calories in what we eat are unbelievable! My DH brought me home some wheat wraps that are very healthy for your body and the calories are 180. I told him that was way too high! However, they are large size if I eat a half of one with chicken fajita meat and veggies it would make for a great lunch. I would be getting the benefit of the fiber. I was watching something on TV yesterday about throwing the baby out with the water as far as wheat and bread is concerned. You just have to find the one that does not contain sugars.

Good morning ladies! Welcome to the new ladies that are on here that I have not had a chance to respond to. I am in the process now I'm doing my exercise. I will talk at you later! Have a great day!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Becca -
    Annr wrote: »
    One thing that got me down was watching "Biggest Loser" and seeing their beginning weight, (which their weights are about the same as mine around 230-40). They look with such disgust at their bodies, and feel like total failures. I sometimes think that maybe I should feel like that when I look at mine.

Definitely keep the fact that they film for drama firmly in your mind. I once took a class from one of the early contestants. He told us that he was actually a very cheerful man even when he was fat. The producers made him frown and look unhappy for his before pictures. They also scripted one of the more dramatic “private” moments he had on the show to make it more poignant.

I’ve struggled with the idea of loving myself as I am while wanting to change. I’m finally figuring out that loving myself as I am is not the same as saying I’m content to stay as I am. I’m working to be the best possible version of myself. Liking who I am now on this step of the journey doesn’t mean I cannot improve and continue to like who I am as I progress.

Mia in MI

January goals:
    Plan and log food in advance
    All changes to the above plan will be logged
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Mia in MI
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kimses - here is a link that you will find on the BLC group site. Look at all the threads on there and highlight the ones that you would like to see on a daily basis. I am sharing one of the links that I find most motivating with you.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10258493/fitspiration-tips-tricks-motivation-innovation-imagination-fitness-health-inspiration#latest

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Penny and Mia - yay! Kimses is also on that challenge with us. I left a link above from that site that I really enjoy looking at.

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Carol
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Margaret ~ What did you do when your tire went flat? I have a fear of this happening while I am on I-75 going to see my mom.

I know you are in GA, but I get a smile when I am driving on I75 and think of you driving on I75. We are many miles apart, but still driving on the same highway.

Pip- Sending best wishes to Bullwinkle for an easy surgery and recovery. Love the flower over her ear.

Mia in MI

January goals:
    Plan and log food in advance
    All changes to the above plan will be logged
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Mia in MI

• DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody! Hope all is well with everybody and their "program" - whatever it may be!

Donna in Wild, Wonderful WV

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: I admire your organization skills, but I am a slob. I can't picture myself using an app to organize chores. Maybe I should think about it. :flowerforyou:

Michele: This is brilliant! I hope Bryan responds in a positive way. "I sent Bryan an email thanking him for his honesty to me in his email and saying that while we can't change the past, perhaps his therapist can help us with the future and would he be open to a Skype session? I also mentioned that I'd worked with therapists in the past and whenever there was a family problem, they always wanted to speak to the entire family. Now I leave the ball in his court."

Becca: You are an amazing and positive woman in the process of becoming the self you are meant to be. Don't beat yourself up over past mistakes. :heart: :heart: :heart: I agree with Dr. Katie that the Biggest Loser is all about the drama. It is about TV ratings, not good health. Why else would they send people home who are working hard AND succeeding, but not the one who lost the most pounds during a particular week? :mad:

Sylvia: (((hugs))) I will keep your son and his family in my prayers. :heart:

Pip: I hope the vet is able to get rid of the lump and Bullwinkle comes home a happier, more comfortable dog. :flowerforyou: If Bullwinkle was a person, I'd wonder whether the lump is a goiter.

Robin: Welcome. You have found a good place for encouragement. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Does your DD know about MFP? I shared the site with My DD but she wasn't interested in changing her lifestyle or eating habits at that point. :ohwell:

felasou: Welcome! You've found a good place for encouragement. Stop by here as often as you need for a dose of advice, humor & friendship. Here's the best advice I have: 1. Log every bite and swallow. 2. Move more. :flowerforyou:

Grits: Great advice on puppy training! I agree with every word. :flowerforyou:

I'm determined to go to yoga this morning. I will not be able to do everything, but I will be able to do some things & I really like my fellow students. This is important to me. Yoga and MFP in combination have made my life happier and improved my health.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good evening all!
    I'm back from my trip to Portsmouth. Lovely to see my friend. I did confess to her that I'm not very keen to see my difficult friend. She agrees she is very, very difficult, but doesn't want the group to disintegrate. I do have a breathing space, thank goodness.
    I got the waitress to take a photo, but I'm waiting for it to come over to my tablet.
    I had mussels and didn't drink the broth or eat the bread and then I had a starter portion of scallops with haggis. Haggis is very fattening, but I love it. >:) I had a small glass of wine. My friend had a large one followed by a small one. :ohwell:
    Went back to her place for a cup of tea. Then got the train home. :D
    Pleased I went.

I set the alarm this morning so I could do my exercises before I went. o:)

For those of you struggling with excess poundage - please do not go on any kind of crash diet programme. The only diet that works is one you can stick to for the rest of your life. It took me 18 months to lose 57 pounds, but I have kept it off for over two years. The secret - I enjoy my food. I move a lot. I log - always, every day except Christmas Day. This is for life.

Heather UK

Photo is here. Very blurry and yellow, but I do look happy!

z1ba1cbiuydq.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Yesterday afternoon the doctor's office called to say that yes, indeed, I do have arthritis in both hips and my lower back. (Like I didn't know that!?) They called in a prescription for an anti inflammatory. (Meloxicam) I started taking it this morning, but there's no joy yet. I was hoping to hear choirs of angels singing as soon as I took it, but instead it just upset my tummy a little. I took it with a banana and a cup of tea (it said with food) so maybe that wasn't enough food to do the trick. Still, I'm hopeful that it will relieve some of the pain so I can get moving again. We will see how it goes. I did 35 minutes on the treadmill this morning anyway, plus some of the weight machines.

It's a little warmer today, but still rainy. Tomorrow it's supposed to turn icy again. Ah, the joys of winter. Still, we've been luck so far this season, so I'm not going to complain.

I’m on pins and needles today waiting to hear something about my son. I hope he gets good news and has found a doctor that he can get along with and can help him.

Mary, my trouble with bread is that it is pretty high in sodium. Sometimes the wheat breads are worse than the white. It’s a struggle, because I love bread. I sometimes get those Hawaiian rolls because they are lower than most and they are small, so I can control the portions pretty easily. Also, they freeze well, so I can just take out one or two at a time. I wish they made them in whole wheat, though.

Katla! You are a slob too!? No wonder I like you so much. I try to change once in a while, but it doesn’t last long. I’m in a decluttering mode at the moment, which will last a couple of weeks. I tried the shiny sink thing once, and it lasted two days.

Pip, hugs to Bullwinkle! I have to say, your dogs look like the most mellow dogs I’ve ever seen. Mine seldom stand still long enough for a good photo. Somebody is always blurry.

Janet, I know what you mean by wanting to hide in the crowd. When I was young and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said “invisible”. Even into high school. That was my first impulse. Becoming fat seemed to do that for me, because people never really noticed me. Sure, they would look at me, and sometimes laugh or make remarks, but it felt like they weren’t seeing the real me. They didn’t try to talk to me or get to know me. It was the next best thing to being invisible.

Miriam, hugs to your poor kitty! I didn’t know that cats had to wear the cones too. It never occurred to me. I know my dogs hate it.

Joyce, I’m not far behind you. I’m still 12 pounds from going over the Onederland limit. I thought I had lost a couple pounds but yesterday it came roaring back.

Well, I have to go make something out of mud. Have a great day.

Sylvia
  • jeanniehedrick7
    jeanniehedrick7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, reading through all the posts this seems like a wonderful group for motivation. My December goals were all related to setting myself up for success in 2016. I researched and decided on a health plan to follow. I signed up at a local health club. I actually faced the scale and actually stepped on it to see where my starting point was. (Been avoiding the scale for years!). Sooo January is off to good start, I have lost 7 pounds since January 1st. I feel a bit better, more energy, and happier. Can't wait to see how I feel in a few months.
  • jeanniehedrick7
    jeanniehedrick7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, reading through all the posts this seems like a wonderful group for motivation. My December goals were all related to setting myself up for success in 2016. I researched and decided on a health plan to follow. I signed up at a local health club. I actually faced the scale and actually stepped on it to see where my starting point was. (Been avoiding the scale for years!). Sooo January is off to good start, I have lost 7 pounds since January 1st. I feel a bit better, more energy, and happier. Can't wait to see how I feel in a few months.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Katla - I hope you are able to go to yoga. Even if you can't do the moves the socializing will be good for you.

Heather - i'm glad that you were able to enjoy your time with your friend. You look extremely happy and fabulously fit! Thank you for sharing your photo.

Sylvia - you're right about the sodium amount in bread as well. It might be a good idea to bake your own. If you know a family owned bakery you could always request them to make you a special loaf. I know my DH tries to get The best bread that will fit in with my diet. He has joined forces with me. I can't get him to log into MFP but he does eat what I do and tries to stay away from his treats.

Jeannie - welcome! You have made great progress since 1 January. There is a lot of motivation and support on this thread.

Strong lifts workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

I feel really strong doing the squats at 120 pounds. My form is almost perfect all the way through. I will probably start adding pounds next week. For the BP my arm strength is still weak. Especially my right arm. I may do a deload next week. The BR is fair, I would not say that it is easy yet. I am not sure if I will increase weight on this or deload next week.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    . Well it looks like we r gonna sell the bug and get another retirement car
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    . Well it looks like we r gonna sell the bug and get another retirement car

What kind of car does that mean?