The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I fly to Medford OR tomorrow to visit my daughter for a week and she has a new rescue dog. She's been working with him for the last couple of months getting him to trust people and she says she thinks he'd like to run with me! Yay! I've been wanting a run buddy for quite awhile so this will give me a chance to see if I really do want one or if I just think I want one.

Don't let just a few runs with an untrained pup make your mind up wholly on the running buddy thing. When we first adopted Woogie the Worst Running Partner Ever, he was leash trained but still pulling your arm out of the socket every 3 minutes (and he's a rather largish 70 pounder, so out of the socket it went!) He had to be trained to walk like a gentleman on a face collar first, and then we had to get him to socialize nicely with other dogs (still a work in progress, but so, so, much better). Now, I take him out for a run about once a week (he goes for a daily walk, but running is an entirely different skill) and he does very nicely if I don't count all the stops and starts! He stays at heel or just slightly ahead of me and to the side. I only get tripped once every 2-3 miles now. ;) He actually does better on long runs (5 miles) at the park than through the neighborhood. I think he feels like it's his responsibility to leave his calling card around his turf, lol. Anyway, all that to say, it takes some time to make a good running partner, especially out of a rescue dog, but I've so enjoyed working with him. He was a major part of my moving from walking to running--just trying to keep up with him!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For anyone within striking distance of southern Wisconsin, on June 4-5 they have the Kettle 100 Ultra, which is a pretty grueling 100 mile trail race, but they offer a variety of other distances as well. One of the things they do every year is have a 38 mile Fun Run at night. Since it will fit in nicely after my May race and before my October race, I'm pretty sure I am going to sign up for it. And since there seem to be quite a few runners here in that general area, it might be fun to meet some of you...

Plus, you get a cool shirt that says "My Idea Of A Fun Run is 38 Miles... At Night. What's Yours?"
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 I would except i have a small problem. I'm getting married on the 4th :wink:
    the dirt devils sounds rather hard core too. i might stick with the hank aaron and the ice age trails this time around :)
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    @moyer566 ... are you doing the Ice Age Ultra in Greenbush?
  • MorningGhost14
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nevermind.... my mistake... the Ice Age Ultra is in LaGrange, WI in May... it's the Glacial Trail Ultra that's in Greenbush in October...
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ffheqblmqwvq.jpg
    Raptor is his name and I love that he feels safe and secure and it shows! @5BeautifulDays Thanks for the input! I have pretty low expectations already because he is a rescue that was clearly abused in his former life. And considering I've been so sick the last few weeks I didn't expect much from myself either. I'm looking more at whether I prefer the company or if I really do like going solo. Honestly I think I *think* I want a buddy more than I actually do. Mostly because of the lifestyle change that would require. I'm very single and have a cat that is pretty low maintenance. Having a dog would change my lifestyle significantly and I'm not sure I'm ready to make that change yet.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Worst 4 mile run in a long time. My right shin felt like it was on fire for the first two miles. Was taking it slow anyway, as that's what my training plan called for today. Still finished just shy of 11 min/mile (not counting the pause at the halfway mark to try to "stretch" my shin--this is why shin pain sucks. You can't just stretch it like a calf muscle or something. You have to just fiddle around for a few minutes and figure out what releases the pain. For me, that was standing on my right tip-toes for about 30 seconds, then bouncing up and down on my right foot. IDK...). It's funny how my horrible runs these days are as fast as, or faster than, my ok runs from 6 months ago. Guess my training is paying off at least a little.

I'm slowly chipping away at that 10 miles I missed last Sunday (when I cut my run short). Actually did an extra 0.1 miles today (4.1!!). So, I'm now at 42.6 miles/145.1 miles for the month. If I add a half mile here and there or maybe an extra super short run (think 1-2 miles), I may be able to make my target for the month. :smile:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 TBH those distances might be a bit much fore me. we'll see.
    there are two races with the silver striders that use the drumlin and have 5k and a HM
    a race that uses it starting in cottage grove

and there is always the hank aaron 5k

I might work on improving distances but I think I will work on speed. which i know comes from more miles but the miles won't be the focus. did that make sense?
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk ( well it all counts :) )
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k
    9/1 - 7k
    10/1 5k intervals
    12/1 - 2k walk

32.5/80

exercise.png

Also, is anyone able to help me with my speed question please?

I am looking for some advice please from you lovely experts. If my standard pace that I can do for 7k is 7-7.5kph and I am trying to do 400m intervals to improve my speed:
    What speed should I be doing these at for the "quick" part? (Tried 9kph today - struggled more than expected)
    What speed should I be recovering at between quick intervals , a 6kph walk or 7-7.5kph?
    How long should recovery be? 200m?

I am doing it on the treadmill so can control the distances and speeds easily. Thanks in advance :blush:

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @Amandajs232 - I've not done much speedwork since I was running track in high school, but I've done quite a bit of reading on the topic. What I've gathered is that 400m repeats are usually done with a recovery of 200m between each effort. Your effort in the 400m should be hard, but sustainable over the number of repeats you're doing (you don't want to run a 2:00 interval the first time and then trail off to running a 4:00 interval on the last one.). I've seen suggestions that your intervals should be slightly faster than your 5K race pace. As for the 200m recovery, add a minute or so to your interval pace.

Over time, you can increase the pace of your intervals as you improve (that's the point, after all!).

Maybe someone else will have better info. :)
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    @moyer566 ... I think it makes sense, but I know nothing about working on speed...lol. I am such a basic neanderthal runner.... I only look at my Garmin to see how far I have run and to figure out how late I will be getting to work if I throw another mile or two in. You should probably ask some of the real runners here about speed stuff. When people ask me technical running questions, I am exposed as a running fraud... lol..
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    6.15 km easy. 7:22 min/km; Av HR 130, max HR 148.

Woohoo! Almost halfway. I am on track!

1 Jan 13.4 km
    2 Jan Rest
    3 Jan 6.3 km
    4 Jan 5.4 km
    5 Jan Rest
    6 Jan 8.3 km
    7 Jan 5.3 km
    8 Jan Rest
    9 Jan 15.3 km
    10 Jan Rest
    11 Jan 6.1 km
    12 Jan 8.3 km
    13 Jan 6.15 km

Total: 74.55 / 150 km

All my training is slow and easy because increasing mileage for my first marathon in July.

exercise.png

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 LOL!

Hmm, quite today... Where'd all our newbies go?

May have scared them with the nailing shoes topic... j/k :lol:
    Love coming back here and having a laugh though.. This place is the best!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    1st Jan - 3.1miles (Parkrun)
    2nd Jan - 4.5miles
    5th Jan - 2.75miles
    8th Jan - 3.25miles
    10th Jan - 4.00miles
    12th Jan - 2.1miles

MTD - 19.7/50miles

Upcoming races:
    31st Jan - Hyde Park 10km
    27th Feb - Richmond Park 10km
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 i wouldn't worry about it. I need this shirt. i_love_running_turtle_t_shirts-r5b6060dbd17e460fab4fe4d2ab8c9281_8nhmw_512.jpg

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 LOL!

Hmm, quite today... Where'd all our newbies go?

No way I'm ever nailing a pair of shoes. Sounds very uncomfortable.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    With all this discussion I had to do it. I put screws in my shoes. It doesn't seem to work too well, though. I cant' lift them off the floor now. I must have done something wrong.
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Lol! @7lenny7
    You clearly did it wrong. You should have waited until you were on the treadmill.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Maybe a few of the screws are loose?
  • MorningGhost14
    Options

Actually, we were planning on screwing our shoes. We would only nail them if the first few screwings were satisfying and left us wanting more.