The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well tonight's run just sucked b@!!$. My legs were fine, my breathing was fine, but I just felt funky, almost low blood sugarish but-not-quite funky. Ugh. Hopefully the next one will be better. Stopped at 3 miles and barely managed that. Suuhhuuhhhuuuhhhuuuhhhckked. :s

1/2 6.5 miles
    1/3 3.5 miles
    1/7 4.0 miles
    1/10 4.0 miles
    1/13 5.0 miles
    1/14 3.0 miles
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

exercise.png

I don't really know how to find my last post. I'm trying to do this and it is great to hear everyone's posts. I see so much of myself as a 20 something, 30 something, young mom etc. I am slow, but steady. I also spin. The kind of 30 something competitive me would be intimidated by a lot of you speedier people, but now I know we are all a community. Love reading, hearing of victories, setbacks, reactions to setbacks etc. Thanks for all your stories.
    Welcome! This place is great and there are runners of all ages, abilities and experience here. So have no fears.:smile:

The best advice I can give for finding your last post is trying to remember what day it was and an approximate time frame. Then I just go back a page at a time until I think I'm in the right area and start scanning. I hope someone else knows an easier way!

I am usually 2-3 pages back because we get so many posts on here now, and then I do CTRL+F and search my name. You can also search your name using the little magnifying glass at the end of the page #s on the webpage or the "Search" function on the app with the thread open.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/8 - scheduled rest day
    1/9 - 16.48 warm up + Winter Warrior Half
    1/10 - 7.46 easy
    1/11 - 10.07 easy
    1/12 - 8.39 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/13 - 8.02 easy and snowy
    1/14 - 8.70 warm up, speed work, cool down

January to date total - 117.83

Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - Speed work at the indoor track. Convention is a 2 mile warm up before and 2 mile cool down after; I shorted the cool down to 1 mile to save an extra mile for Saturday. The core speed work was 4 x 400 at R, with 400 recovery; 2 miles at T, took 400 m recovery; 6 x 200 at I, start one every 1:30.

I apparently miscounted laps running T, and did 17 laps instead of the 16 that would be 2 miles. An extra 200 m at T won't kill me. The R was hard, it was hard to hold T for 2 miles after running R, and then the short 200 m intervals at I felt very natural, all coming in right about where they should. Go figure.

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day. Saturday is the schedule long run, specified as 10-13 miles with hills. I agreed to do a run around Irondequoit Bay with a friend on Saturday. It has the hills, but he says it will be closer to 14 miles. Hence, cutting the cool down short so I'll be close to the weekly mileage target.

I'm probably the most boring runner on this thread. No pot, no bourbon, no screwing my shoes (though I do wear trail shoes when there is snow on the roads), just running. And somehow surviving my 3rd week of running 6 days. I'm going to appreciate that rest day tomorrow.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Foward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    After 3 total days of rest (with lots of post-marathon hobbling around), I was finally feeling ok this morning (similar level of soreness to the day after a speedwork session or long run), so after feeling good on my bike ride & swim, I decided to try out a slower recovery run tonight in my most cushy shoes. My legs cooperated, but I'll take another (running) rest day tomorrow before trying a longer run on Saturday.

1/3 - 10 miles (5 speedwork, 5 slow)
    1/4 - 7 miles
    1/6 - 3 miles (@ MP)
    1/9 - 2 miles (pre race tuneup)
    1/10 - 26.5 miles (Disney marathon in 3:29:08)
    1/14 - 3 miles

Total: 51.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 128.5 miles

@_nikkiwolf_ - Now that I've had a few days, not too upset. Things I could have better controlled would have only covered about 8-10 minutes (weight/pacing), but the weather definitely wasn't something I could do anything about

@ddmom0811 - Thanks. You definitely understand the impact of humidity... training in it can only get you so far.

@mobycarp - Every marathon has been a good learning experience (as Disney was my 4th). Just need to trust myself more when my pace says one thing, but my heart rate says another (as I don't think you ever can fully trust your body when the adrenaline is pumping). I've always been a bit of a data junkie, and going by my watch/heart rate hasn't (yet) led me astray in a race.

@whatmerunning - The first 2 hours felt pretty comfortable (even going at 90% of my max HR)... it was the last 90 minutes that were the mentally toughest.

@lporter229 - Thanks. Although it got a touch less humid by the 3rd hour, it was still pretty icky.

@stoshew71 - I'm currently scheduled for Pittsburgh in May, but have been tempted to sign up for the A1A next month, as I think my fitness is close. Given the weather I saw for RC, I think a 3:25 is in the bag for you if you can find a cooler flatter race in the next month or three.

@kristinegift - Definitely resting quite a bit. Finally got in my first run today (Thursday), although I did a few bike rides & swims as they aren't as tough on my joints.

@snha - I definitely didn't think I'd ever be able to run one when I started (especially at 260lb)... still, 3 years later, with 100lb off me, I've done four and am definitely continuing to push myself.

@rune1990 - Thanks - Treadmills always seem to destroy my shins & calves but sometimes that is all the weather will allow you to do.

@5BeautifulDays - I hope the weather is a bit less ugly for the Princess race. Have a bunch of friends doing it, including one guy/girl couple who are both dressing up.

@GBrady43068 - Thanks. Good luck with your HM!

@skippygirlsmom - Being up front at a 3:30 pace, the crowds weren't that bad for trying to PR (outside of the weather) as I had plenty of space and only had at most 1 person waiting for pictures (as I passed them) had I been in it for the pics. From the pics I saw of the middle of the pack, it gets a very crowded and much harder to run the tangents, and you have to wait for long lines for photos. I may try to BQ there next spring if I can't find a good fall marathon for it. Congrads on States! With Skip's speed, she probably could avoid most of the crowds and get some great photos!

@nezyrumrunner - Congrads on getting through the Dopey. Not sure I'd want to try that as I can't sacrifice times in races and would be dead by the marathon. Given the winning times were also 15 minutes slower this year than last, I'd hate to think of what the northerners thought of this race (as I didn't stick around after finishing). Despite living in FL, I still just can't get used to the humidity.

@9voice9 - Took up running 3 years ago. Did my first marathon in May 2014 (as this was my 4th). Given how much marathons can hurt (physically and mentally) when you go out too fast (as each 10 seconds you do the first half too fast hurts you by 30 in the 2nd half), I mainly just focus and overthink the race to avoid inflicting too much pain on my body.

@juliet3455 - Finally took off the shirt at mile 20. I know there were small children around, but at that point, I didn't have too much to lose nor that many spectators to scare (as it was still pretty early).
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 -41 mile bike ride
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day - first day of rest since Thanksgiving Holiday streak started.
    Jan 4 - rest day
    Jan 5 - 5.25 miles
    Jan 6 - 3.3 miles
    Jan 7-11 - Sick :(
    Jan 12 - 4.1 miles — finally!!! Felt so great.
    Jan 13 - strength training + 1 mile on treadmill
    Jan 14 - 5.2 miles

exercise.png

Ran after work again today, instead of my 4:30am run. I could get used to this! However, it will be way to hot after a couple months for me to think about it. But, it's a nice little change. Going to be way under goal this month, but that's okay. I learned a lot during my holiday streak and even while I was sick. I studied the Chi running videos when I was sick and when I could finally run again, I felt like I was doing it right.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @Amandajs232 I have resistance (read: cowardice) to running outside as well. I'm always scouting out the road to check conditions (snow covering ice lately). One day I will run outside.
    The ever so slight sound of snowfall, along with the insulating nature of it blocking out normal neighborhood noise makes snowfall runs truly great. You don't want to miss out on it.
    @WhatMeRunning You describe it perfectly, I love those evenings. And then hoping into the hot tub while the snow flakes continue to fall. Man I need a hot tub!

And a second pair of shoes. So I can run outside, in the snow ya know.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Oooh, Las Vegas RnR 11/13/16: am already signed up.....@ohhim likely is, too.

It is a week after my full Ironman, so I may step down to the 10K, but my usual buddies I meet there each year (including a former winner) have already expressed interest in running it again.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @KatEmmaMarie wow - you are doing great!

@kristinegift and @Elise4270 : I am just chiming in on the aches and niggles of long distance running. Who doesn’t love talking about that? So, I have never had any toe, shin, hamstring or ITB issues, but I have found that I dorsiflex excessively with my right foot, so I have been concentrating hard for the last 6 months or so on relaxing that off as I run. I also have a dodgy right knee that starts to act up with increasing volume, medially and posteriorly. I think it could be my medial meniscus.
    My right hip flexor usually flares up when my volume increases, and I did relate that to my right glute not being active enough. Now I do this thing where rather than thinking about driving my leg forward (which would activate my hip flexor), I concentrate on pulling my leg back (hence activating my glute). It seems to help; however, I am not doing speed work or the kind of distances you are putting in, @kristinegift.

Interestingly (to me, anyway), all my niggles are on my right side, and sometimes when I run, I try to tell my right leg to do the same as my left leg, because my left leg never has any problems.

All my aches and niggles are quiet right now, because my mileage is not huge, and my hope is that by increasing mileage gradually, and doing all easy running, my niggles will not notice, and I will be able to run this marathon in July.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »

@kristinegift and @Elise4270 : I am just chiming in on the aches and niggles of long distance running. Who doesn’t love talking about that? So, I have never had any toe, shin, hamstring or ITB issues, but I have found that I dorsiflex excessively with my right foot, so I have been concentrating hard for the last 6 months or so on relaxing that off as I run. I also have a dodgy right knee that starts to act up with increasing volume, medially and posteriorly. I think it could be my medial meniscus.
    My right hip flexor usually flares up when my volume increases, and I did relate that to my right glute not being active enough. Now I do this thing where rather than thinking about driving my leg forward (which would activate my hip flexor), I concentrate on pulling my leg back (hence activating my glute). It seems to help; however, I am not doing speed work or the kind of distances you are putting in, @kristinegift.

Interestingly (to me, anyway), all my niggles are on my right side, and sometimes when I run, I try to tell my right leg to do the same as my left leg, because my left leg never has any problems.

All my aches and niggles are quiet right now, because my mileage is not huge, and my hope is that by increasing mileage gradually, and doing all easy running, my niggles will not notice, and I will be able to run this marathon in July.

Mine are left. That has to be a muscle imbalance issue. I find myself telling my left to just do the same as the right. I may have to tape up my left foot, around mile 3 I've been getting some stinging on the bottom of my foot. I assume it planter faciatis? Again, I'm sure it because my left side has gone rogue. About a year ago I couldn't engage my left glute. My training plan has speed work schedules every other week, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had planned on running 3 miles yesterday, but only made it 2. Just flat out could not breathe. :( But 2 bad miles is still better than no miles at all, so I will take it.

29/45 completed
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    01/04 2.74 mi
    01/06 3.13 mi
    01/09 5.00 mi
    01/11 2.63 mi
    01/13 3.53 mi
    TOTAL 17.03 mi
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-Rest day
    2-Flare/rest day
    3-13.13mi The first six had me convinced i was going to turn around. the rest was nice.
    4-rest day
    5-pain day :(
    6-3.23 mi. it looked slow but i ran fartlek-esque, but still had to avoid ice flows.
    7-6.46 mi it was fun. I pushed hard. I'm glad my heart monitor works again.
    8-rest day
    9-4.75 mi on treadmill.
    10-rest day
    11-too cold and icey. -7 is just too cold even for me
    12-slept in after walking the dogs. too icey now with a fresh coating of snow over it. hoping to get in an hour at the gym
    13-3.7mi on treadmill. got to my third fastest speed. hoping to keep improving. and yoga
    14-5.28mi
    15-yoga

exercise.png

race tomorrow. too short, my slow will show :wink:

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    michable wrote: »

@michable I've had issues with my right and left sides. I have pretty wonky hips that tend to come out of alignment, and so that puts weird strains on different parts of my body until I get them back in place. I've had issues with tendinitis in my left knee, ITB problems with my right knee, hip flexor issues on both sides (always v. temporary), extensor strain in the big toe of my right AND left feet, an achy Achilles on the left, a hamstring strain on my right and my right glute tends to be sleepier than the left. I'm trying to get in the habit of regular core and stability work to keep things aligned and working properly so that when I am hitting 50 and 60+ mile weeks, I don't break myself because something wasn't firing properly or something wasn't in line with the rest of me! Luckily, I'm only having a couple of these issues; I haven't had hip flexor or knee problems since high school/early college, the heel/Achilles has healed up, and I know how to fix everything else.

I'll have to try thinking about pulling my leg back rather than pushing it forward, see if that helps. Sometimes when I know my glute is being lazy, I clench my cheeks together and that seems to help get it going again.

I hope all your aches and niggles remain quiet and you can get through training without any problems! I've never quite managed it; I did really well last fall but then I did yoga 2 weeks out from my marathon and strained my hamstring. I was so mad! I've sworn off yoga entirely, lol.
  • JrReds3806
    JrReds3806 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just getting started here. I ran 1/2 mile last night. Felt excellent and so glad to be back to it after my knee injury. Looking forward to continuing injury-free this time. :smiley:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Newbie welcome to @JrReds3806

@7lenny7: Did an extra T-shirt for the morning’s run tucked in over the 2nd wicking layer and I think that’s going to be the answer. MUCH warmer in the stomach area…to the point that I had to unzip the coat by run’s end (it was quite warm this morning though for December..around 42 degrees)
    @KatEmmaMarie: Congrats on hitting halfway mark to goal!
    @MMillard77: Actually it’s not a “start”, it’s 1/3 of the way there from where I’m sitting…WTG!
    @CrimsonWhite: I think we all have “that run” every now and then. Next time will be better.

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here.
    6.59 cold night miles, slow, around 12:40/mile.
    Jan 2: REST DAY
    Jan 3: First “official” training day for the HM and first snowfall of the year (on a run day at least). 3.51 miles. Some fast intervals mixed in with slower paced runs. 12:10 average pace, fastest split was mile 2 (11:29).
    Jan 4: Wimped out 
    Jan 5: Ice in my ‘stache at the end of the run…that’s new. 3.2 miles this morning
    Jan 6: Went an extra .5 before I took my first (brief) walk break. 5.05 miles avg. pace around 12:11
    Jan 7: REST DAY. Plan on some walking and weights.
    Jan 8: Wimped out 
    Jan 9: Beautiful running weather..50 degrees this morning in Central Ohio! Easy 6.2 miles but every step SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKED! 12:08 average pace. A little over 1/3 of the way to month’s goal. #betterrunnexttime #ohwellatleastIdidit
    Jan 10: Sick..no run
    Jan 11: Feeling slightly better..we’ll see if I feel up to a run after work. UPDATE: Decided I might be pushing it since it was still pretty cold (around 3 degrees with wind chill) so I’m going to give it one more day
    Jan 12: Big snowfall so I couldn’t do run in the morning (needed to leave a lot earlier for morning commute), planning on run tonight. EDIT: Finally got back out there. I didn’t really do winter running last year and this was the first truly cold day (actual in the teens, single digits with wind chill). I’m not sure if it’s all a “mental thing” but it felt a LOT harder..not just the “man it’s cold, I want to go get warm” part of it (that faded away after the first half mile or so once I started to get feeling back in my fingers) but it was harder to keep a good pace. I’ve decided I’ll need to add a ski mask to my winter running apparel. My “slow” pace is usually somewhere around the high 11s to low 12/mile and it was around a 13:30 tonight..and at times it felt like it was a “hard” pace. Is this a common thing for first-time winter runners? Forgot to turn off my wi-fi connectivity so I think when I ran past the Burger King I grabbed their wi-fi for a sec because suddenly a billion Facebook notifications came in and froze up my RunKeeper so my run was cut shorter than I wanted. (I was doing an interval program and had no idea how to make it restart at a specific point.) I guess I’ll remember tomorrow 3.92 miles
    Jan 13: Single digit temps this morning, hoping to get the run in tonight. EDIT: Much warmer at night. Slow 3.05 miles, avg pace 12:14 but NO walking…at all. 
    Jan 14: Plan calls for 8 miles tonight…and a fast interval of 9 min pace for 2 of that I think..gulp. Glad it’s in the 40s, another night run coming….EDIT: Wimped out, just couldn’t find any motivation.
    Jan. 15: Got out there and tried to do some pace pushing as penance for yesterday but my legs weren’t having it. My “fast” was only in the low 11s..bleah. It’s done but it didn’t feel like a “good” run (but I guess it’s better than a non-run). 4.02 miles..officially just past halfway to goal.

exercise.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Ok... I want to know right now which one of you got me sick... sore throat, chest congestion, itching burning eyes... You know you who you are... Do you have any idea what kind of pain in the *kitten* it's going to be tomorrow morning doing my long run? Thank you very much... No... it's ok, I love all of you...

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ok... I want to know right now which one of you got me sick... sore throat, chest congestion, itching burning eyes... You know you who you are... Do you have any idea what kind of pain in the *kitten* it's going to be tomorrow morning doing my long run? Thank you very much... No... it's ok, I love all of you...

Sorry, that was probably me. If it makes you feel any better, I went to a retirement party for my husband's boss last night and somebody poured waaay too much wine down my throat. Tonight's run isn't going to be very pretty either.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7
    1/13 6.2 miles - 99.9
    1/14 10 miles - 109.9
    1/15 5.75 miles - 115.65

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 3.5 miles on treadmill
    1/2 - Nada :|
    1/3 - 3.75 miles on treadmill + weights
    1/4 - First day back to office / school...had to stay home to get kids moving and ready.
    1/5 - 4 miles on treadmill + 4.65 miles on stationary bike
    1/6 - 4.5 miles on indoor track followed by an extended stretching session.
    1/7 - Sick / rest day - not sick enough to stay home for the day, but didn't want to push it for a run :/
    1/8 - Another sick / rest day.
    1/9 - 4.1 miles on treadmill
    1/10 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    1/11 - 4 miles on treadmill
    1/12 - Life got in the way - sick children, work issues, etc. - Ick!
    1/13 - Woke up with a head like concrete...stupid sinuses! Hoping to feel better enough to squeeze in a rare late afternoon run today.
    1/13 - 3.25 miles outdoors...woo hoo! Early evening run. Had to watch out for refreeze on sidewalks and streets, but enjoyed it.
    1/14 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class). My feet are not thanking me for two runs in under 12 hours. Plus, the person next to me must have eaten a poo sandwich before class...blech!! :sweat:
    1/15 - VJ the greyhound woke me up 3x in the night to go out, two kids and myself coughing all night and one kid with high fever this morning = another morning of no run. UGH! I am getting cranky...so going to miss my goal this month!