Stone????WHAT!?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good recipe for english roasted potatoes? They sound delicious.
    ETA-I JFG it but there are a lot of recipes came up!

Maris piper potatoes
    Parr-boil in salted water for 5-10 mins
    Drain, shake vigorously against lid of pan until bashed up
    Put into roasting tray around meat joint that has already been cooking and coat in juices
    There will not be enough space put the rest in roasting tray that has piping hot goose fat (or duck fat)
    Baste occasionally
    Roast for up to an hour
    :)

I am delighted it is Sunday
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    for a consistent recipe we all have an Aunt Bessie...

Ugh. You cannot, in all conscience, call THOSE roast potatoes. They are disgusting.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hehehe I've got used to them at home (I can't do proper spuds), but oh boy do I notice the difference when my brother or a carer cooks for me!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tw22ve8qm29s.jpg

This is the usual turnip here. Are you referring to another vegetable? (I expect there are various colors, but the most common ones are white with some purple of the outside.)

@lemurcat12: Do you get black turnips from your local CSA farm?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    As was said, everyone does roasties differently. I am nearly the same but a little different to rabbit.

Peel spuds, you need a floury one like Maris Piper or King Edward (I'm sure there are equivalents for you)
    Boil until nearly cooked (see, I do mine longer than rabbit) strain and bash against the strainer as per rabbit
    Let go cold ideally but not totally necessary
    I never put mine in with the meat
    Add goose or duck fat to a roasting tray and put in oven to go hot
    Add potatoes
    Turn occasionally
    I prefer to do them at a slightly lower temperature for longer, I find it makes a better tatty. But whatever temperature you have the meat at is fine (190 for a ball park). A good hour or so, they're done when they're done.

Aunt Bessies potatoes are dreadful. I did find though, that Iceland do a goose fat frozen potato that is pretty darn good!

And you lot made me do this today:

fwrd1qwb4lol.jpg

Now excuse me while I do a beast of a workout to make those damn scones fit...........
  • Stuart107
    Stuart107 Posts: 17 Member
    (190 for a ball park).

That's 190C so 375F!
  • PaulThomp23
    PaulThomp23 Posts: 38 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    We live in the past. Don't mind us.

shhh...it's nicer here, we have bone china and scones too

I'm assuming bone china is china made of bone rather than porcelain?

And I have to admit...I've never known what a scone is but I've always imagined it's a distant relative to an ice cream cone.

A scone is like a sweetened, less doughy version of the biscuits you dip into gravy.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Just to throw a spanner in the proverbials, there's a Stone of Scone too (don't try to eat this one!)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Can someone recommend a good recipe for english roasted potatoes? They sound delicious.
    ETA-I JFG it but there are a lot of recipes came up!

Part of the British tradition is that everybody's mum makes the best roasties. Every one of them does it differently too. Fortunately, for a consistent recipe we all have an Aunt Bessie...

Nobody makes gravy like mama.

And we all have an aunt Martha. She's a chain smoker with a little stubble on her chin and wants "some suga."
  • amethyst1973
    amethyst1973 Posts: 25 Member
    This has made me laugh. Loving the expanations.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tw22ve8qm29s.jpg

This is the usual turnip here. Are you referring to another vegetable? (I expect there are various colors, but the most common ones are white with some purple of the outside.)

@lemurcat12: Do you get black turnips from your local CSA farm?

I haven't. They also don't send enough turnips for me in general -- I love turnips. The green market probably has them, as they have every color of everything, but I haven't noticed those. Did get black radishes once.

I'm going to have to try the roasties method some time--sounds decadent but delicious. I have a whole duck in the freezer waiting to be cooked, so a source of duck fat.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Thanks for the recipes Rabbitjb and Vintage Feline. I see roast taties in the near future. Just need to find the goose or duck fat. If my grocery doesn't carry it maybe World Market of Trader Joe's?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    And thanks to this thread, I have now started binge watching the Great British Bake Off.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Thanks for the recipes Rabbitjb and Vintage Feline. I see roast taties in the near future. Just need to find the goose or duck fat. If my grocery doesn't carry it maybe World Market of Trader Joe's?

I was going to suggest somewhere like Trader Joe's. If you have a local butcher they may be able to help too. Beef dripping makes a good roast potato too but if all else fails you can get a reasonably good result with vegetable oil. And don't be shy with it either, you're not actually going to consume much of the fat but you need enough to get everything coated and sizzling.
  • Luvlybubly
    Luvlybubly Posts: 87 Member
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious.

A scone with ice cream would be terrible, the texture of a scone is quite uniquely suited to jam and clotted cream. I'm not a cream fan generally but clotted? Give me a spoon!

I had a deep fried Creme Egg once in Dundee, it was so grossly gooey :) I've also had deep fried pizza and deep fried macaroni pie from a chip shop in Alness. The pie is fab but the pizza is just greasy.

As for scones...butter then jam! Clotted cream is rank

I'm English, now living in Scotland

• violet0ann
    violet0ann Posts: 72 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg
    Dam it, i wanna be good but this made me want a cream tea :(
    FYI honey instead of jam is rather interesting too.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited August 2016
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I'd like to lose 4 stone, but I'll settle for 56lb :p

Or 25.4 Kg if you're metric.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Josh_LoL wrote: »
    A stone is 14 lbs. I think it's only used here in the UK

I think it's also used in Australia by older people.

I am basing this on the fact my mum says stones.

Australia is actually very English.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    And a Pound a monetary unit used in the U.K.