Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    White Lightning in the UK is cider and teenage regrets.

And getting the tallest one of your mates to go and buy a pack of 10 Embassy Regal.

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    2 single No6 and three single matches could be bought from Nellys sweetshop. And a bottle of Thunderbird from the offy next door.

I always was a classy bird :-/
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Mmm clotted cream, I would say it's as dense as butter. Really thick cream.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It is VERY strange that someone from the US would not know what a scone is.

Have you never been to Starbucks? What about any of the hundreds of other coffee and tea houses that you can find in a city of any size? They all have scones...sometimes a bit sweeter than an English scone, but essentially the same thing.

Starbucks scones arw NOTHING like a real English scone. NOTHING.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Starbucks scone: sweet and full of sugar.
    e5sxi5fzihuj.jpeg

English scone: not sweet at all until you add the cream and jam. More like what we in the US call a biscuit.
    qc4l873yyncm.jpeg

• Twincle1970
    Twincle1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone,

no no no, its all wrong, scone rhymes with gone if you say it 'proper' :D

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I don't actually EAT commercially made scones, but I see them just about everywhere. I was thinking about it, and in the last few days I have seen scones at:
    -Costco
    -college cafeteria
    -tiny college coffee stand
    -Fred Meyer (Kroger)
    -hospital cafeteria
    -local coffee house (Stumptown)
    -gas station

In the Pacific Northwest, you would have to be willfully trying to avoid them to not have any idea what they are.

I ate one yesterday, only because my mother made it and she insisted. Slightly sweet, but not very. My mother is most definitely NOT English.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Afternoon tea

afternoon-tea-london-soho-hotel-1.jpg

:bigsmile:

You so fancy :)
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Clotted cream is baked to give it that gooey constancy.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

Jelly? JELLY!!!???? I'll have you know that in the land of our Queen, such a substance is known as jam, sir!

In the UK:

Jam = Jelly
    Jelly = Jello

Fanny means a different body part over here, too! (Lowering the tone just a tad!!!!!)

Jam = thicker but smoother and easier to spread than jelly

00041800000456_full.jpg

Jelly = slightly more "watery" and chunky, harder to spread than jam

welchs-jelly.png

Jello = flavored gelatin served in hospitals

1-jello-mold-dreamalittlebigger.jpg

Jam (in the U.S.) has fruit solids in it. Jelly (in the U.S.) is made from fruit juice, no solids.

Not the Welch's Grape Jam that I buy...
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Twincle45 wrote: »
    Whats corn bread and corn mash?

Dunno about corn mash, what we call creamed corn, maybe?

Cornbread is a thick crumbly delicious bread made of corn meal, milk, eggs (I think), and probably a couple other things used to hold it together.
    It may or may not be made with added sugar to have either cornbread or "sweet cornbread."
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    torizia wrote: »
    I live in England but go to Texas regularly (and am very excited about going there for 3 months in early 2017, yay!)

Biscuits and gravy was one of my favourite discoveries, probably only paralleled by kolaches! Ironically, linked back to the title of the thread, I tend to put on around a stone whenever I visit...and I normally go for a fortnight (2 weeks!)

So many confusions around terminology on my first visit - as soon as I arrived I asked for a glass of squash and everybody started laughing as they thought I meant the vegetable (it's like a liquid version of crystal lite, very popular/common here). I did take a tin of spotted dick one year which I understand is regularly shown to guests as they find it tres amusant!

I need to remember to make them scones with jam on my next trip - I hadn't realised they weren't really a thing over there :)

Interesting tidbit, kolaches actually hail from Czech land.
    My wife grew up in Prague, OK (pronounced "prayg") which is named after the real Prague ("prog") and they shut the entire town down for a whole weekend every spring to hold a kolache festival.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I just want to go to that hotel rabbitjb posted a picture of (afternoon tea picture).
    Not because I think I would like afternoon tea. I just want to sit around and soak up all the posh.

That one is in Soho and also has a private cinema .. we went to see Elf before Christmas there .. cos Christmas traditions must be upheld and Elf is one of ours

I love afternoon tea in proper hotels - sandwiches in small strips with no crusts, bone china (know what it is now?), efficient, polite and reserved service .. get on with you and your 'have a nice days'

also your gravy looks horrible .. sorry .. wouldn't!

But if you ever tried it...:)
    I described our breakfast gravy to someone from Canada once on another forum (because I'm multifaceted) and she said that they have it but call it "white sauce."

It really is some amazing deliciousness. A thousand times more tasty than its bland appearance suggests.
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)

That's better than what the Canadians call it: Kraft Lunch (what if I eat it for breakfast???) and they put ketchup on it!! What???

ETA: and if it's a small round loaf of bread, it's a roll and they serve them at steak houses.
    Steakhouse: Rolls with/before your meal
    BBQ joint: Sweet Cornbread muffins with/before your meal
    Granny's Country Kitchen: Biscuits with/before your meal
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I don't actually EAT commercially made scones, but I see them just about everywhere. I was thinking about it, and in the last few days I have seen scones at:
    -Costco
    -college cafeteria
    -tiny college coffee stand
    -Fred Meyer (Kroger)
    -hospital cafeteria
    -local coffee house (Stumptown)
    -gas station

In the Pacific Northwest, you would have to be willfully trying to avoid them to not have any idea what they are.

I ate one yesterday, only because my mother made it and she insisted. Slightly sweet, but not very. My mother is most definitely NOT English.

I live over 2,000 miles away from the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure there are several things you see or eat on a regular basis that I'm not exposed to and vice versa.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Google is pretty awesome.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Google is pretty awesome.

Wait...Google isn't British...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I just want to go to that hotel rabbitjb posted a picture of (afternoon tea picture).
    Not because I think I would like afternoon tea. I just want to sit around and soak up all the posh.

That one is in Soho and also has a private cinema .. we went to see Elf before Christmas there .. cos Christmas traditions must be upheld and Elf is one of ours

I love afternoon tea in proper hotels - sandwiches in small strips with no crusts, bone china (know what it is now?), efficient, polite and reserved service .. get on with you and your 'have a nice days'

I described our breakfast gravy to someone from Canada once on another forum (because I'm multifaceted) and she said that they have it but call it "white sauce."

It really is some amazing deliciousness. A thousand times more tasty than its bland appearance suggests.

Don't implicate Canada in that sludge! I'm Canadian and we do not have that where I'm from (well, we have it without the sausage, but I've never seen it not called béchamel as it should be), which is good because it's disgusting. I will never understand. I tried it in the States and was just like "seriously guys? This is what you go on about?"
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Don't implicate Canada in that sludge! I'm Canadian and we do not have that where I'm from (well, we have it without the sausage, but I've never seen it not called béchamel as it should be), which is good because it's disgusting. I will never understand. I tried it in the States and was just like "seriously guys? This is what you go on about?"

But if you like bechamel (I don't know how to type the accent thing) and you like sausage...why not together?