Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• nikinuu
    nikinuu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not sweet, no.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nikinuu wrote: »

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Okay, scrolled up thread and found someone saying clotted cream=custard. nvm people I am learning how to read.

it is not custard

it's a very, very, very thick cream .. thicker than whipped

Yes ...

Terrapin, think kind of in between whipped cream and butter but leaning more to the whipped cream side. It never gets hard in the refrigerator, but it's more solid than whipped cream. Clotted cream is never whipped at all. Usually it's less sweet than whipped cream in the U.S., too.

I love clotted cream. I was introduced to it when I was a little kid by a family friend who'd emigrated from Trinidad, if I remember correctly. I remember her spooning it out of a can and it just looked awful to me - yellowish and kind of gloppy. The stuff I see these days is much more visually appealing. Tastes the same, though!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Okay, scrolled up thread and found someone saying clotted cream=custard. nvm people I am learning how to read.

it is not custard

Yes ...

Terrapin, think kind of in between whipped cream and butter but leaning more to the whipped cream side. It never gets hard in the refrigerator, but it's more solid than whipped cream. Clotted cream is never whipped at all. Usually it's less sweet than whipped cream in the U.S., too.

I love clotted cream. I was introduced to it when I was a little kid by a family friend who'd emigrated from Trinidad, if I remember correctly. I remember her spooning it out of a can and it just looked awful to me - yellowish and kind of gloppy. The stuff I see these days is much more visually appealing. Tastes the same, though!

I'm thinking I could get behind this.

It almost sounds like a soft cream cheese.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I just want to go to that hotel rabbitjb posted a picture of (afternoon tea picture).
    Not because I think I would like afternoon tea. I just want to sit around and soak up all the posh.

That one is in Soho and also has a private cinema .. we went to see Elf before Christmas there .. cos Christmas traditions must be upheld and Elf is one of ours

I love afternoon tea in proper hotels - sandwiches in small strips with no crusts, bone china (know what it is now?), efficient, polite and reserved service .. get on with you and your 'have a nice days'

also your gravy looks horrible .. sorry .. wouldn't!

But if you ever tried it...:)
    I described our breakfast gravy to someone from Canada once on another forum (because I'm multifaceted) and she said that they have it but call it "white sauce."

It really is some amazing deliciousness. A thousand times more tasty than its bland appearance suggests.

Don't implicate Canada in that sludge! I'm Canadian and we do not have that where I'm from (well, we have it without the sausage, but I've never seen it not called béchamel as it should be), which is good because it's disgusting. I will never understand. I tried it in the States and was just like "seriously guys? This is what you go on about?"

But if you like bechamel (I don't know how to type the accent thing) and you like sausage...why not together?

Well, first, béchamel isn't normally glopped onto bread products by cupfuls, second, I really only use it as a base to add flavour to (not sausage, because it's plenty rich enough as it is without adding meat to...it's one of the classic French mother sauces though so I'll make it occasionally as a base), third, sausage is not high on my list of meat products worth eating, and fourth, I also like hot sauce and sugar cookies but I don't eat them together.

I think biscuits and gravy pretty much tastes and looks like a pile of paste. Some Southern cooking is excellent (although I wish, um, y'all would lay off the lard/shortening and the stuff from cans), but this one just baffles me totally.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I don't actually EAT commercially made scones, but I see them just about everywhere. I was thinking about it, and in the last few days I have seen scones at:
    -Costco
    -college cafeteria
    -tiny college coffee stand
    -Fred Meyer (Kroger)
    -hospital cafeteria
    -local coffee house (Stumptown)
    -gas station

In the Pacific Northwest, you would have to be willfully trying to avoid them to not have any idea what they are.

I ate one yesterday, only because my mother made it and she insisted. Slightly sweet, but not very. My mother is most definitely NOT English.

I live over 2,000 miles away from the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure there are several things you see or eat on a regular basis that I'm not exposed to and vice versa.

You still have Starbucks, and Dunkin Donuts...aren't there scones at DD?

Even if you live in a part of the US where cafe culture is lacking, there are still scones all around you.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

it is not custard

Yes ...

In texture, that's a lot closer to what it's like than whipped cream, although in flavour I'd say it's kind of partway between whipped cream and straight up butter. I like it the once a year or so my mother and I do high tea somewhere but I'd say it's definitely a sometimes food, in the immortal words of Cookie Monster.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I often feel like one of the few Americans that does not like biscuits and gravy. The late night dinner in college has the B&G Special, everyone got that...I got scrambled eggs.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    White Lightning in the UK is cider and teenage regrets.

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)

That's better than what the Canadians call it: Kraft Lunch (what if I eat it for breakfast???) and they put ketchup on it!! What???

ETA: and if it's a small round loaf of bread, it's a roll and they serve them at steak houses.
    Steakhouse: Rolls with/before your meal
    BBQ joint: Sweet Cornbread muffins with/before your meal
    Granny's Country Kitchen: Biscuits with/before your meal

It is called Kraft DINNER in Canada.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)

That's better than what the Canadians call it: Kraft Lunch (what if I eat it for breakfast???) and they put ketchup on it!! What???

ETA: and if it's a small round loaf of bread, it's a roll and they serve them at steak houses.

That's what the Barenaked Ladies call it in the song "If I Had a Million Dollars" :)
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I just want to go to that hotel rabbitjb posted a picture of (afternoon tea picture).
    Not because I think I would like afternoon tea. I just want to sit around and soak up all the posh.

That one is in Soho and also has a private cinema .. we went to see Elf before Christmas there .. cos Christmas traditions must be upheld and Elf is one of ours

I love afternoon tea in proper hotels - sandwiches in small strips with no crusts, bone china (know what it is now?), efficient, polite and reserved service .. get on with you and your 'have a nice days'

also your gravy looks horrible .. sorry .. wouldn't!

But if you ever tried it...:)
    I described our breakfast gravy to someone from Canada once on another forum (because I'm multifaceted) and she said that they have it but call it "white sauce."

It really is some amazing deliciousness. A thousand times more tasty than its bland appearance suggests.

Don't implicate Canada in that sludge! I'm Canadian and we do not have that where I'm from (well, we have it without the sausage, but I've never seen it not called béchamel as it should be), which is good because it's disgusting. I will never understand. I tried it in the States and was just like "seriously guys? This is what you go on about?"

But if you like bechamel (I don't know how to type the accent thing) and you like sausage...why not together?

Well, first, béchamel isn't normally glopped onto bread products by cupfuls, second, I really only use it as a base to add flavour to (not sausage, because it's plenty rich enough as it is without adding meat to...it's one of the classic French mother sauces though so I'll make it occasionally as a base), third, sausage is not high on my list of meat products worth eating, and fourth, I also like hot sauce and sugar cookies but I don't eat them together.

I think biscuits and gravy pretty much tastes and looks like a pile of paste. Some Southern cooking is excellent (although I wish, um, y'all would lay off the lard/shortening and the stuff from cans), but this one just baffles me totally.

Fair enough, to each his own.

The bold: you mean you don't like potted meat or vienna sausages? lol
  • Carlos_421
    Options

it is not custard

Yes ...

In texture, that's a lot closer to what it's like than whipped cream, although in flavour I'd say it's kind of partway between whipped cream and straight up butter. I like it the once a year or so my mother and I do high tea somewhere but I'd say it's definitely a sometimes food, in the immortal words of Cookie Monster.

Then yeah, that's something I could probably get behind.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Is someone making fun of Kraft Dinner!? Someone is going to get stabbed!!!!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I don't actually EAT commercially made scones, but I see them just about everywhere. I was thinking about it, and in the last few days I have seen scones at:
    -Costco
    -college cafeteria
    -tiny college coffee stand
    -Fred Meyer (Kroger)
    -hospital cafeteria
    -local coffee house (Stumptown)
    -gas station

In the Pacific Northwest, you would have to be willfully trying to avoid them to not have any idea what they are.

I ate one yesterday, only because my mother made it and she insisted. Slightly sweet, but not very. My mother is most definitely NOT English.

I live over 2,000 miles away from the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure there are several things you see or eat on a regular basis that I'm not exposed to and vice versa.

You still have Starbucks, and Dunkin Donuts...aren't there scones at DD?

Even if you live in a part of the US where cafe culture is lacking, there are still scones all around you.

We covered that already.
    As for DD, if I go there (not often at all), I'm getting a mixed dozen from the drive through.

Why does it bother you so much that I didn't know what a scone was (though I had heard of them).

I also didn't know what Gyros were until a couple years ago even though I see signs all over for "So and So's Chili and Gyros."
  • Carlos_421
    Options

giphy.gif

They still put ketchup on it.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

What is your problem? This thread was 100% goofing around, having fun and talking about cultural foods.
    Then you came in all uptight with your nose in the air and messed it up. Get over yourself.

Let's see I can google jumpers and get search results about sweaters or I can engage in a fun, enlightening and enjoyable conversation with some really cool, fun people. I choose the latter.

Brits, did I offend any of you for not knowing some things about your culture or have you enjoyed this lighthearted thread as much as I have?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

What is your problem? This thread was 100% goofing around, having fun and talking about cultural foods.
    Then you came in all uptight with your nose in the air and messed it up. Get over yourself.

Let's see I can google jumpers and get search results about sweaters or I can engage in a fun, enlightening and enjoyable conversation with some really cool, fun people. I choose the latter.

Brits, did I offend any of you for not knowing some things about your culture or have you enjoyed this lighthearted thread as much as I have?

Not at all. We'd still like to discuss the tea thing in Boston though...someone made a mess in the harbour.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Some people know what a scone is, some don't. I'm not offended nor do I think all Americans are ignorant just because they've never noticed their existence before. Had I never been to America or watched too many Disney vlogs on Youtube I probably wouldn't know what funnel cake is, it's not a big deal.

As an aside. Those scones in Starbucks are a bastardisation of the real deal so not really a good comparative. Much like most foods adopted by another culture.

This is just some light hearted fun about the differences we all notice or come across. I've also lived overseas and experienced other differences (seriously UK, we need to adopt the New Zealand wonder of the roast dinner take away).