Stone????WHAT!?

Replies

• gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    As a Yorkshirewoman, I'm drooling at those puds in that photo.

And as for the non-food pasties - my husband had never come across those before (he's led a very sheltered life) and was extremely confused when reading an article about burlesque dancers. He wondered what on earth they were doing with those meat and potato goodies.

Yes it's really weird seeing the word pasties and thinking about nipples! It still gets me every time.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    These picture don't hurt me cuz my phone is calorie free.
    I could get behind eating a snot block with a tall cup of hot black coffee.

Haha that tall cup of black coffee in Australia is called a long black. Not to be confused with a short black, which is a shot of espresso.

And you all know the flat white, yes?

Enlighten me

Flat white is a white coffee in Australia and NZ. It's a shot of espresso (we don't do brewed here really at all) with steamed milk making up the rest of it. It's a really basic coffee but it seems to have taken the world by storm (or so we have been led to believe), since British cafés started adopting the name and Starbucks has even put it on the menu, which is really weird because Australia is the one market Starbucks couldn't get into (we kind of look down on Starbucks :wink: )

sa79x3mlv091.jpg

I do miss my NZ coffee. I was even trained by Lavazza while I was living there so I'm always disappointed with coffee here. I live in an area with about a thousand coffee shops and none of them make a really really good coffee. Actually, that's a lie, apparently one does but I haven't tried it yet, must sort that out.
  • gardensneeze
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.

Why...why is this not in my life??? I need it!!!!

Which bit? The crackling? Cos if you have kids you'd have to fight them for it

Also she's right on the roasties ...par boiled, shaken against lid to fluff and goose fat

I like to par boil mine to very almost cooked, so there's lots of fluffing for an extra crispy tater. I'm a bit well known for my roasties. I may even have a picture somewhere..............

9e47gt3zib76.jpg

Just in case y'all missed it. A roast, made by me (admittedly lacking Yorkshire pudding but they are more of an English thing but I have adopted them). That's carrot and swede mash FYI.

Looks delish
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.

Also she's right on the roasties ...par boiled, shaken against lid to fluff and goose fat

I like to par boil mine to very almost cooked, so there's lots of fluffing for an extra crispy tater. I'm a bit well known for my roasties. I may even have a picture somewhere..............

9e47gt3zib76.jpg

Just in case y'all missed it. A roast, made by me (admittedly lacking Yorkshire pudding but they are more of an English thing but I have adopted them). That's carrot and swede mash FYI.

Mmmmm. Not deliberately excluded! Didn't mean to 'dis your dish. Looks delish.
  • gardensneeze

Haha that tall cup of black coffee in Australia is called a long black. Not to be confused with a short black, which is a shot of espresso.

Enlighten me

Flat white is a white coffee in Australia and NZ. It's a shot of espresso (we don't do brewed here really at all) with steamed milk making up the rest of it. It's a really basic coffee but it seems to have taken the world by storm (or so we have been led to believe), since British cafés started adopting the name and Starbucks has even put it on the menu, which is really weird because Australia is the one market Starbucks couldn't get into (we kind of look down on Starbucks :wink: )

sa79x3mlv091.jpg

I do miss my NZ coffee. I was even trained by Lavazza while I was living there so I'm always disappointed with coffee here. I live in an area with about a thousand coffee shops and none of them make a really really good coffee. Actually, that's a lie, apparently one does but I haven't tried it yet, must sort that out.

That's so funny that you say that, because I was talking the other day about how almost every Aussie and Kiwi is a Lavazza-trained barista, no matter whether you're a lawyer, accountant, tradie or banker. We've all either worked in cafés or they come in and do corporate team building days.

I understand you miss the coffee, but you get the world's best tea and that is also right up there!! One of the summers I lived in the UK, a research paper came out which the country went crazy over, it was a scientific research paper on the perfect cup of tea. It was front page for days.
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Seriously, I wake up to the news that Alan Rickman is dead and now I've depressed myself further by reading a thread extolling the virtues of scones and British biscuits.

Living the ex-pat life in Australia, I can only get proper British biscuits* and crisps when they're slightly stale (but still delicious) from the British Sweetie Shop... and although Australians profess to do Cream Teas... they put squirty cream on the scones.**

Colour me disappointed.

*Apart from Hobnobs and Dark Chocolate Digestives, which Coles, in their infinite wisdom, sell.
    **Well they do in the cafes in the two states I've lived. I'm prepared to be pointed to proper cream teas down under.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Enlighten me

sa79x3mlv091.jpg

That's so funny that you say that, because I was talking the other day about how almost every Aussie and Kiwi is a Lavazza-trained barista, no matter whether you're a lawyer, accountant, tradie or banker. We've all either worked in cafés or they come in and do corporate team building days.

I understand you miss the coffee, but you get the world's best tea and that is also right up there!! One of the summers I lived in the UK, a research paper came out which the country went crazy over, it was a scientific research paper on the perfect cup of tea. It was front page for days.

Sounds about right. I think I see a tea making related meme on my FB newsfeed at least bi-weekly. The sheer selection of tea we have is quite brilliant, if you like tea, which I do. I also like coffee.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Enlighten me

sa79x3mlv091.jpg

Ha! Before I read all the way down to where you mentioned it I thought "oh, so poor man's Starbucks" lol
  • gardensneeze
    Seriously, I wake up to the news that Alan Rickman is dead and now I've depressed myself further by reading a thread extolling the virtues of scones and British biscuits.

Living the ex-pat life in Australia, I can only get proper British biscuits* and crisps when they're slightly stale (but still delicious) from the British Sweetie Shop... and although Australians profess to do Cream Teas... they put squirty cream on the scones.**

Colour me disappointed.

*Apart from Hobnobs and Dark Chocolate Digestives, which Coles, in their infinite wisdom, sell.
    **Well they do in the cafes in the two states I've lived. I'm prepared to be pointed to proper cream teas down under.

We DO do cream teas! But we call them Devonshire teas and whilst we don't have clotted cream (God help us) we usually do them with whipped double cream, not squirty whipped cream, that's tacky! Which state are you in? I find around Victoria and southern NSW in the quaint towns you find them, but they're a bit rarer in the cities unless you go to a place like Hopetoun Tea Rooms in Melbourne or an afternoon high tea at one of the hotels. We usually do them at home one a year on Mothers Day.

What are "proper crisps" haha, we LOVE our S&Vs which of course came from the British Isles. You can also find nice shortbread here and I've even seen Jaffa Cakes on the supermarket aisles occasionally in Melbourne.

I do bet you miss Monster Munch! Pickled onion flavour, mmmmm.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.

Hahaha oh Carlos, for most of us, bread isn't sweet. 'Murica.

Properly made American biscuits shouldn't be sweet at all.

Agree, and neither should cornbread. Cuz honey butter.

That's very much a regional thing, though. Southern cornbread isn't sweet, but in the northern states it's more common to find sweet cornbread (I second the sentiment about honey butter, though!).

It's like barbecue/BBQ, which is very regional (Cooking hamburgers and hot dogs on an outdoor grill isn't BBQ, by the way - that's "grilling"! BBQ is meat cooked low and slow over charcoal and wood, sometimes called "smoking"). Different parts of the country have very different ideas about what BBQ is (and what kind of sauce, whether the meat is even sauced at all, etc.). Go to Texas, the eastern/western Carolinas, Alabama, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis and Santa Maria (CA), and what they call 'BBQ' will be an entirely different thing in every place. The only common denominator is that it's all delicious!

As for biscuits and gravy, I can't stand most of the bland gravy they serve in restaurants. When I was a kid, my dad (a good ol' southern boy) made sausage gravy the right way - cook sausage links in a cast iron pan, then cut it up into small chunks and leave all the sausage and grease in the pan; add the flour, water and LOTS of black pepper to it and cook until done. Thick, chunky, greasy sausage gravy goodness, served over fresh-baked biscuits and fried/scrambled eggs! And for those of you in the UK, 'biscuits' aren't anywhere near the same thing - as close as I can reckon, they're more like what you'd call pasties - a flaky, fluffy, lightly crusty pastry (not sweet, not savory).
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    And what is mash?
    Sounds like thick heavy soup. Or grits.

Nah. That's where white lightenin' comes from.

Maybe over there...but over here, white lightning means a white dude streakin'.

Honey chile, you just ain't right.
    White lightnin' = "mighty darn pleasin' pappy's corn squeezins"
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member

All of it. I need the all of it.

Have you ever had a proper roast with all the trimmings?

Probably not if "proper" means "British." Lol

Brits often use the word proper to describe things that are both proper and 'proper', and there is a difference!!

Roast beef (or lamb, pork or chicken), with roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, real gravy and boiled/roasted veg including usually carrots and brussel sprouts. Usually eaten on a Sunday afternoon/evening in homes and pubs, and a national institution.

uxbusoje22ou.jpg
    The first time I had Yorkshire pudding I was a little shocked....that's not pudding, but it was delicious
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2016

Enlighten me

Some of us Seppos** look down on Starbucks too, lol! :) I can't stand their coffee, it's bitter and burnt tasting to me. I have friends who love it and when I meet them there for coffee, I have to drown it in cream and Splenda to make it even halfway palatable. I don't like their other overly sweet, high-calorie and high-priced coffee beverages either.

** = I'm sure gardensneeze gets the reference, but non-Aussies will probably have to Google "Seppo" for the meaning! :)
  • Carlos_421
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.

Hahaha oh Carlos, for most of us, bread isn't sweet. 'Murica.

Properly made American biscuits shouldn't be sweet at all.

Agree, and neither should cornbread. Cuz honey butter.

That's very much a regional thing, though. Southern cornbread isn't sweet, but in the northern states it's more common to find sweet cornbread (I second the sentiment about honey butter, though!).

It's like barbecue/BBQ, which is very regional (Cooking hamburgers and hot dogs on an outdoor grill isn't BBQ, by the way - that's "grilling"! BBQ is meat cooked low and slow over charcoal and wood, sometimes called "smoking"). Different parts of the country have very different ideas about what BBQ is (and what kind of sauce, whether the meat is even sauced at all, etc.). Go to Texas, the eastern/western Carolinas, Alabama, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis and Santa Maria (CA), and what they call 'BBQ' will be an entirely different thing in every place. The only common denominator is that it's all delicious!

As for biscuits and gravy, I can't stand most of the bland gravy they serve in restaurants. When I was a kid, my dad (a good ol' southern boy) made sausage gravy the right way - cook sausage links in a cast iron pan, then cut it up into small chunks and leave all the sausage and grease in the pan; add the flour, water and LOTS of black pepper to it and cook until done. Thick, chunky, greasy sausage gravy goodness, served over fresh-baked biscuits and fried/scrambled eggs! And for those of you in the UK, 'biscuits' aren't anywhere near the same thing - as close as I can reckon, they're more like what you'd call pasties - a flaky, fluffy, lightly crusty pastry (not sweet, not savory).

Use milk instead of water and then you're doing it right.
  • Carlos_421
    threadmad wrote: »
    And what is mash?

We clearly grew up with different fathers.
  • AnvilHead
    And what is mash?

Long live the Possum!
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016

Enlighten me

Some of us Seppos** look down on Starbucks too, lol! :) I can't stand their coffee, it's bitter and burnt tasting to me. I have friends who love it and when I meet them there for coffee, I have to drown it in cream and Splenda to make it even halfway palatable. I don't like their other overly sweet, high-calorie and high-priced coffee beverages either.

** = I'm sure gardensneeze gets the reference, but non-Aussies will probably have to Google "Seppo" for the meaning! :)

I stand in solidarity with you on this issue.

Except if I'm gonna be called slang terms for "Yankee" I'd rather be called a gringo.

ETA I won't pretend to have already known what a seppo was. I had to google it. (Hey look! I know how!)
  • AnvilHead

Enlighten me

Except if I'm gonna be called slang terms for "Yankee" I'd rather be called a gringo.

ETA I won't pretend to have already known what a seppo was. I had to google it. (Hey look! I know how!)

Aussies have a very irreverent, rough-and-tumble sense of humor which I absolutely love, so "Seppo" doesn't bother me a bit. :) I don't mind "gringo" either, though. Funny thing is, a lot of people in other countries who use "Yanks" or "Yankees" to refer to Americans don't realize that a lot of southerners would probably take strong exception to it, lol!
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016

Enlighten me

Aussies have a very irreverent, rough-and-tumble sense of humor which I absolutely love, so "Seppo" doesn't bother me a bit. :) I don't mind "gringo" either, though. Funny thing is, a lot of people in other countries who use "Yanks" or "Yankees" to refer to Americans don't realize that a lot of southerners would probably take strong exception to it, lol!

Oh I don't mind it either.
    And definitely. I'll take yank from a Brit, seppo from an Aussie or gringo.
    But ain't no American gonna call me a Yankee!! Lol
    Mom's a Yankee though. Me and Dad, not so much. Lol
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    And what is mash?

Long live the Possum!

I just knew somebody would remember that!