Options

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

So if the custard (is that custard?) is on top it's cornish but if the jam is on top it's devon? lol
    It's getting crazy up in here!!!

Custard? No no no no no ... 'tis clotted cream!

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

So if the custard (is that custard?) is on top it's cornish but if the jam is on top it's devon? lol

It's clotted cream. Yum.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

I'm tellin' y'all...these things need ice cream on 'em.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The English screwed it up for us in America. Wished we would have used the metric system for measurements. It would have been so much easier in calculations. The only things they want in more pounds in the UK is money. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

3rd down at the 25 meter line...

Nope, just doesn't do it for me.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    And don't forget the argument about how to pronounce scone - is it "scon" to rhyme with gone or "scown " to rhyme with own. I'm a softy southerner (UK) so I say the second version. And I weigh 10 stone not 140 pounds on a good day.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious.

A scone with ice cream would be terrible, the texture of a scone is quite uniquely suited to jam and clotted cream. I'm not a cream fan generally but clotted? Give me a spoon!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The English screwed it up for us in America. Wished we would have used the metric system for measurements. It would have been so much easier in calculations. The only things they want in more pounds in the UK is money. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

3rd down at the 25 meter line...

Nope, just doesn't do it for me.
    Hard to break habits. Lol, the ball is a centimeter short of a first. Yeah, not the same kind of relevance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Jam first of course, so you can properly spread it. Oh you people, I want a cream tea now! Must source clotted cream.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

I'm tellin' y'all...these things need ice cream on 'em.

Peasant *sniff*
    And don't forget the argument about how to pronounce scone - is it "scon" to rhyme with gone or "scown " to rhyme with own. I'm a softy southerner (UK) so I say the second version. And I weigh 10 stone not 140 pounds on a good day.

It rhymes with " scon" otherwise the "what's the fastest cake in the world?" joke doesn't work
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

It's clotted cream. Yum.

Clotted is such an...appetizing word...

Agreed. Sounds dreadful, tastes dreamy.
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

It's not a biscuit it's a cake ... Well it's not really a cake but it's not a biscuit ...it's a cakey biscuit

And a biscuit is a cookie anyway

Why on earth you'd cover it in gravy is beyond me
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Cream first then Jam! And a huge mug of sweet tea to go with it!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Also don't come over all y'all on us...you know we have a soft spot for that kind of thing
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

And jam first always. Heathens.

Ok...do Americans just call them English muffins or they totally different things? Or are English muffins even a thing in England?

English%20Muffins.jpg
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    jam then cream or it just gets messy!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Got it.

Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious.

A scone with ice cream would be terrible, the texture of a scone is quite uniquely suited to jam and clotted cream. I'm not a cream fan generally but clotted? Give me a spoon!

I knew I liked Scotland.
    How about Oreos? Deep fried Oreos are like manna from heaven.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

And jam first always. Heathens.

Ok...do Americans just call them English muffins or they totally different things? Or are English muffins even a thing in England?

English%20Muffins.jpg

Totally different. We call them English muffins now too (because of your American muffin invasion some time back). English muffins are bread. Scones are more cake.