Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

It's not a biscuit it's a cake ... Well it's not really a cake but it's not a biscuit ...it's a cakey biscuit

And a biscuit is a cookie anyway

Why on earth you'd cover it in gravy is beyond me

No no no no...y'all may have invented the language but he with the tastiest food makes the rules.

A cookie is a cookie. A biscuit is a heavy, savory bread, excellent with butter, jam or gravy.

And the gravy isn't a meat gravy. It's milk, flour and bacon grease simmered until thick. And it's delicious (especially if you mix ground sausage into it).

So the Indians and Italians and Asians right?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

And jam first always. Heathens.

Ok...do Americans just call them English muffins or they totally different things? Or are English muffins even a thing in England?

English%20Muffins.jpg

Totally different. We call them English muffins now too (because of your American muffin invasion some time back). English muffins are bread. Scones are more cake.

So totally different texture or just sweeter?

And admit it, you're glad the American blueberry muffin made it across the water.
    (Now you just need southern sweet cornbread muffins).

Totally different texture. An English muffin is quite a light, bready texture. A scone is denser and cake like with a distinct flouryness. Not dissimilar to an American biscuit really in texture but again, I think more floury. It's been a while since I had one of y'all's biscuits.

Gotcha.

And well played. :wink:

B)
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Everyone is talking about deep-fried food and I feel like I've missed out xD The most inventive thing i've found was a place that turns chocolate bars into milkshakes!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    So this is random but do y'all have dinner rolls? Or is that an American thing?
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

Not really. That's just a small white bread roll right? I mean, we have rolls but we don't specifically call them dinner rolls.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am now going to find this clotted cream and deep fried crème egg you speak of.... Oh, wait, I'm here to lose weight, not gain it! One bite won't hurt, will it? ;-)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    English people who eat American bread says it tastes more like a pastry
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Jetamu96 wrote: »
    Lol who got scone from STONE?

The british are taking over! :D We have a tendency to do that (sorry)

Yeah but be nice or we Americans will take our toys and go home! lol
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    mum23 wrote: »
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious.

A scone with ice cream would be terrible, the texture of a scone is quite uniquely suited to jam and clotted cream. I'm not a cream fan generally but clotted? Give me a spoon!

I had a deep fried Creme Egg once in Dundee, it was so grossly gooey :) I've also had deep fried pizza and deep fried macaroni pie from a chip shop in Alness. The pie is fab but the pizza is just greasy.

As for scones...butter then jam! Clotted cream is rank

I am ashamed that these aren't commonplace in the US.

you don't have crème eggs????

Those show up at Easter. But I've never had a deep fried pizza or deep fried macaroni.
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ah the great Scottish macaroni pie. I forget they exist I've been away so long.

black pudding supper!! I NEED one
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Can you leave your accents pliz
  • mum23
    Options
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

we have biscuits that aren't cookies.
    custard creams, bourbons, digestives...loads.

• Carlos_421
    Options
    those are muffins.
    American wording for fancy fairy cakes with loads of topping has confused us all.

If an American muffin has topping it's a cupcake. lol
    (that's just my own argument. everyone in the world disagrees with me)

Nope different recipes

A cupcake is a Madeira or Victoria sponge style recipe eg equal butter, flour, sugar and half eggs (8oz, 8oz, 8oz, 4 eggs) beaten and a muffin recipe isn't that it's like 9oz flour, 4oz sugar, 1 egg and flavourings and you can't over stir it

So...you bake? lol
    I just would've said that the difference is people won't look at you funny if you eat a muffin for breakfast. lol
  • VintageFeline
    Options

No no, WHITE pudding supper. And if in Edinburgh, smothered in chippy sauce. Mmmmmm.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Got it.

It's not a biscuit it's a cake ... Well it's not really a cake but it's not a biscuit ...it's a cakey biscuit

And a biscuit is a cookie anyway

Why on earth you'd cover it in gravy is beyond me

No no no no...y'all may have invented the language but he with the tastiest food makes the rules.

A cookie is a cookie. A biscuit is a heavy, savory bread, excellent with butter, jam or gravy.

And the gravy isn't a meat gravy. It's milk, flour and bacon grease simmered until thick. And it's delicious (especially if you mix ground sausage into it).

So the Indians and Italians and Asians right?

Oh goodness no. I hate curry and soy sauce. Italian food is good though.
    I'd still give the trophy to the southern US because BBQ and Tex-Mex.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Real scones are not sweet! At least not until you put the cream and jam on them (in that order).

www.igourmet.com/clotted-cream.asp
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options

We're always nice! That's something every british person has been called at least once! xD Gotta love stereotypes
  • mum23
    Options

No no, WHITE pudding supper. And if in Edinburgh, smothered in chippy sauce. Mmmmmm.

straight up, just salt and vinegar!!!

• Carlos_421
    Options

Can you leave your accents pliz

For deep fried pizza we'll trade either a Kentucky twang or a Texas draw.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

we have biscuits that aren't cookies.
    custard creams, bourbons, digestives...loads.
    No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How did the American version stray so far from the English version of so many words?
    Cookie=biscuit
    Stone=14 lbs
    trunk=boot
    suspenders=braces
    Windbreaker=windcheater

I used to work in a ski clothing store. An English couple came in looking for a light jacket and almost fell over laughing when I asked them if they wanted a windbreaker.