• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ahh the great muffin invasion....
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    those are muffins.
    American wording for fancy fairy cakes with loads of topping has confused us all.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

It's not a biscuit it's a cake ... Well it's not really a cake but it's not a biscuit ...it's a cakey biscuit

And a biscuit is a cookie anyway

Why on earth you'd cover it in gravy is beyond me

No no no no...y'all may have invented the language but he with the tastiest food makes the rules.

A cookie is a cookie. A biscuit is a heavy, savory bread, excellent with butter, jam or gravy.

And the gravy isn't a meat gravy. It's milk, flour and bacon grease simmered until thick. And it's delicious (especially if you mix ground sausage into it).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious.

A scone with ice cream would be terrible, the texture of a scone is quite uniquely suited to jam and clotted cream. I'm not a cream fan generally but clotted? Give me a spoon!

I knew I liked Scotland.
    How about Oreos? Deep fried Oreos are like manna from heaven.

I did know of a local chippy (fish and chip shop) that would fry any cocolate bar you wanted, so I imagine there is somewhere doing Oreos. Been a while since I've been up there and we're relatively new to Oreos over here.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Also don't come over all y'all on us...you know we have a soft spot for that kind of thing

You think that wasn't premeditated? ;)
    If you've got a little southern charm, you've gotta work it. lol
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love the old English measurements. They actually meant something. Did you know one inch is three corn kernels side to side?
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had a deep fried chocolate bar or oreo! Is that bad? xD
    P.S. The y'all thing is pretty adorable :P
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

And jam first always. Heathens.

Ok...do Americans just call them English muffins or they totally different things? Or are English muffins even a thing in England?

English%20Muffins.jpg

Totally different. We call them English muffins now too (because of your American muffin invasion some time back). English muffins are bread. Scones are more cake.

So totally different texture or just sweeter?

And admit it, you're glad the American blueberry muffin made it across the water.
    (Now you just need southern sweet cornbread muffins).
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Got it.

Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious.

A scone with ice cream would be terrible, the texture of a scone is quite uniquely suited to jam and clotted cream. I'm not a cream fan generally but clotted? Give me a spoon!

I had a deep fried Creme Egg once in Dundee, it was so grossly gooey :) I've also had deep fried pizza and deep fried macaroni pie from a chip shop in Alness. The pie is fab but the pizza is just greasy.

As for scones...butter then jam! Clotted cream is rank
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    mum23 wrote: »
    those are muffins.
    American wording for fancy fairy cakes with loads of topping has confused us all.

If an American muffin has topping it's a cupcake. lol
    (that's just my own argument. everyone in the world disagrees with me)
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lol who got scone from STONE?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    Got it.

I had a deep fried Creme Egg once in Dundee, it was so grossly gooey :) I've also had deep fried pizza and deep fried macaroni pie from a chip shop in Alness. The pie is fab but the pizza is just greasy.

I bloody love deep fried pizza.

And you don't like clotted cream?! We can't be friends.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Got it.

I am ashamed that these aren't commonplace in the US.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

Ok...do Americans just call them English muffins or they totally different things? Or are English muffins even a thing in England?

English%20Muffins.jpg

Totally different. We call them English muffins now too (because of your American muffin invasion some time back). English muffins are bread. Scones are more cake.

And admit it, you're glad the American blueberry muffin made it across the water.

Totally different texture. An English muffin is quite a light, bready texture. A scone is denser and cake like with a distinct flouryness. Not dissimilar to an American biscuit really in texture but again, I think more floury. It's been a while since I had one of y'all's biscuits.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lol who got scone from STONE?

The british are taking over! :D We have a tendency to do that (sorry)
  • Carlos_421
    Options

English%20Muffins.jpg

Totally different texture. An English muffin is quite a light, bready texture. A scone is denser and cake like with a distinct flouryness. Not dissimilar to an American biscuit really in texture but again, I think more floury. It's been a while since I had one of y'all's biscuits.

Gotcha.

And well played. :wink:
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Ah the great Scottish macaroni pie. I forget they exist I've been away so long.
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Got it.

I am ashamed that these aren't commonplace in the US.

you don't have crème eggs????

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mum23 wrote: »
    those are muffins.

If an American muffin has topping it's a cupcake. lol
    (that's just my own argument. everyone in the world disagrees with me)

Nope different recipes

A cupcake is a Madeira or Victoria sponge style recipe eg equal butter, flour, sugar and half eggs (8oz, 8oz, 8oz, 4 eggs) beaten and a muffin recipe isn't that it's like 9oz flour, 4oz sugar, 1 egg and flavourings and you can't over stir it
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    So this is random but do y'all have dinner rolls? Or is that an American thing?
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.