Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I associate the word cookie with chocolate chip uneven textured delicious fellas. Often oversized (because 'murica). Biscuits are British and uniform and smooth and also delicious. Usually dunked in tea. Shortbread though, bet that's confusing too.

You have a firm grasp of reality.

When I think British "biscuits" in terms of cookies, I think of what we call butter cookies (IMO good for little more than dipping in coffee).
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This is not a joke :)

what-british-english-people-say-vs-what-they-really-mean.png

Haha!!! That's hilarious!!
    "Not bad" does mean "pretty good" to me though.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Jetamu96 wrote: »
    mum23 wrote: »
    So this is random but do y'all have dinner rolls? Or is that an American thing?
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

we have biscuits that aren't cookies.
    custard creams, bourbons, digestives...loads.
    No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

1) Custard creams are like vanilla oreos, 2) bourbons are similar to oreos but the chocolate biscuit isn't as strong, the cream is chocolate and they are rectangular, 3) digestives are 4) round, plain biscuits, lots of grains, great to dunk in tea!

1) I can roll with that.
    2) Bourbon is an alcoholic beverage. Unless it's bourbon chicken, then it's a brown sugar (I think?) based sauce.
    3) "Digestives" sounds like a medicine/supplement if not a vague description of any non-fiber food.
    4) Sooo....crackers?

This thread is by far one of my favorites. From what I have figured out American crackers are crisps? Unless I have been reading it wrong all the time and crisps are potato chips? So confusing. We still have relatives in England, but I can't keep up even after spending time with them.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This thread is by far one of my favorites. From what I have figured out American crackers are crisps? Unless I have been reading it wrong all the time and crisps are potato chips? So confusing. We still have relatives in England, but I can't keep up even after spending time with them.[/quote]

What you call "crackers" we call..erm...Ritz biscuits. I don't think you have an equivalent of our crackers. Maybe "water biscuits"?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Crisps (UK) are chips (US)
    Crackers (UK) are for cheese, and quite possibly Branston and should be made by Carr's or Jacob's
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Crisps in the UK are chips. Crackers in the UK are always savoury, usually just a vehicle for cheese consumption.
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My best guesses:

fig roles - fig newtons but rounder - yes!
    rich tea - tea with milk in it - like sugar cookies but without the sugar - then what's the point?
    malted milk - the inside of Whoppers - no idea what they are! - see below
    garibaldi - don't call me names - aka known as "squashed fly biscuits" - I don't want any flies in my biscuits, squashed or otherwise
    shortbread - a small fruit flavored cake, possibly with a firm frosting - biscuit in a twix - I like that. Didn't know it existed outside of the candy bar. lol

I give you Whoppers!!! You need them in your life. Quite crunchy and delicious.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sheesh

0uisyzn1wdui.jpg
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    My best guesses:

rich tea - tea with milk in it - like sugar cookies but without the sugar - then what's the point?
    garibaldi - don't call me names - aka known as "squashed fly biscuits" - I don't want any flies in my biscuits, squashed or otherwise
    shortbread - a small fruit flavored cake, possibly with a firm frosting - biscuit in a twix - I like that. Didn't know it existed outside of the candy bar. lol

maxresdefault.jpg

Ah, maltesers!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Crisps in the UK are chips. Crackers in the UK are always savoury, usually just a vehicle for cheese consumption.

Correct.
    Chips in the US are thinly sliced and fried potato circles (crisps in the UK)
    Fries in the US are long-cut fried potatoes (chips in the UK)
    Hashbrowns in the US are (essentially) diced and fried potatoes (don't know if y'all do this but you should) and properly eaten with ketchup
    Crackers in the US are savory and fall into two categories:
    1) Ritz style - more flavor and great with cheese, summer sausage and preferably both
    2) Saltines - less flavor, lighter and maybe even slightly more dry. Great with soups.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Good shortbread is nothing like that in a Twix, it must be noted. Twix biscuit is too crunchy and not crumbly and buttery enough.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    How did the American version stray so far from the English version of so many words?
    Cookie=biscuit
    Stone=14 lbs
    trunk=boot
    suspenders=braces
    Windbreaker=windcheater

I used to work in a ski clothing store. An English couple came in looking for a light jacket and almost fell over laughing when I asked them if they wanted a windbreaker.

This made me laugh. To me a windbreaker is a set of posts joined together with some kind of material (canvas or polypropeleyne) usually erected by over enthusiastic dad's wielding a mallet and used to:
    1: Mark out YOUR patch of beach (and stop the sand blowing over you)
    2: Mark out YOUR patch of the campsite outside your tent or caravan (and stop the gas blowing out on your camp stove.

The suspenders thing is very curious.

Carry on :)

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    Good shortbread is nothing like that in a Twix, it must be noted. Twix biscuit is too crunchy and not crumbly and buttery enough.

How true. And must feature tartan somewhere on the tin.

• Carlos_421
    Options
    Sheesh

0uisyzn1wdui.jpg

Looks like a fancy pantsy assortment of cookies you would buy in a pretty box to take to Grandma for Christmas.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    My best guesses:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ah, maltesers!

The inside (malted milk) in powder form can be added to a milkshake (which is then no longer called a milkshake, but a...wait for it..."malt").
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sheesh

0uisyzn1wdui.jpg

Looks like a fancy pantsy assortment of cookies you would buy in a pretty box to take to Grandma for Christmas.

Now you are beginning to understand what it means to be British.

It's like being fancy pants for life, but with extra rules ;)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that the 'Nice' biscuits are completely mis-named and are in fact utterly vile. Tunnocks caramel wafers on the other hand are the food of the Gods.

I once had a hilarious conversation with a couple of guys working in Home Depot (like B&Q, but all the appliances are waaay bigger) as I tried to explain that I wanted a bath plug. Blank looks all round. After various mimes and a bit of head-scratching, it eventually dawned on me I should have been asking for a tub-stopper.

I'm Yorkshire born, but living in the US (and yes, it's breakfast, dinner and tea).
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Those are basic biscuits though, fancy pants biscuits are far ...posher
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    My best guesses:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ah, maltesers!

The inside (malted milk) in powder form can be added to a milkshake (which is then no longer called a milkshake, but a...wait for it..."malt").

Ah, Horlicks!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    How did the American version stray so far from the English version of so many words?
    Cookie=biscuit
    Stone=14 lbs
    trunk=boot
    suspenders=braces
    Windbreaker=windcheater

I used to work in a ski clothing store. An English couple came in looking for a light jacket and almost fell over laughing when I asked them if they wanted a windbreaker.

Pause. Rewind.
    You use "boot" to refer to something other than footwear?