Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Oh! Pigs in blankets! Yours sound terrible if I'm honest, often made with hotdogs right? Ugh. Proper sausage wrapped in bacon, served with roast dinner. I am also a fan of the sausage roll, proper sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry.

Not a true hot dog. More like miniature not-quite-sausages-not-quite-hot-dogs. lol
    Served on a toothpick, of course.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Oh! Pigs in blankets! Yours sound terrible if I'm honest, often made with hotdogs right? Ugh. Proper sausage wrapped in bacon, served with roast dinner. I am also a fan of the sausage roll, proper sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry.

Not a true hot dog. More like miniature not-quite-sausages-not-quite-hot-dogs. lol

Pigs in blankets these days are just as often sausages wrapped in pancakes and served for breakfast.

Really, it's any sausage or similar wrapped in some kind of bread product. Too many variations for there to be a 'real' one at this point!
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pigs in a Blanket
    Funnel Cake: No equivalent -see above
    Corndogs: No equivalent - a hot dog on a stick encased in cornbread
    Fried Pickles: No equivalent, on my list to try when I come over the pond in May! - dill pickles (do you even have those?) sliced and deep fried in fish batter/cornmeal
    Bloomin' Onion: No idea what this is - an onion sliced to look like it's blooming and deep fried in cornmeal
    Cinnamon Rolls: Samesies - a swirling pastry seasoned with cinnamon and covered in rich, surgary icing.
    Root Beer: No equivalent, I think it may be available some places - scoop vanilla ice cream in it for a root beer float
    Ranch Dressing: I feel like we have this but I'm not a big dressings person. - that's because you haven't had ranch
    Hot Apple Cidar: Cider. Samesies. - meh, to me it's basically apple juice served hot (but not quite)

Take a stab at those! lol

ETA: Stuffing: We also have stuffing but I think yours may be more bread based, ours is more sausage meat based.

Chatting to neighbour, I'm probably way behind the curve on this conversation now!

ETA: I goofed up the quoting so this is how it is^^^
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Pigs in blankets these days are just as often sausages wrapped in pancakes and served for breakfast.

Really, it's any sausage or similar wrapped in some kind of bread product. Too many variations for there to be a 'real' one at this point!

True...though I'll maintain the "real" ones involve crescent rolls.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pigs in a Blanket
    Fried Pickles: No equivalent, on my list to try when I come over the pond in May! - dill pickles (do you even have those?) sliced and deep fried in fish batter/cornmeal
    Bloomin' Onion: No idea what this is - an onion sliced to look like it's blooming and deep fried in cornmeal
    Cinnamon Rolls: Samesies - a swirling pastry seasoned with cinnamon and covered in rich, surgary icing.
    Root Beer: No equivalent, I think it may be available some places - scoop vanilla ice cream in it for a root beer float
    Ranch Dressing: I feel like we have this but I'm not a big dressings person. - that's because you haven't had ranch
    Hot Apple Cidar: Cider. Samesies. - meh, to me it's basically apple juice served hot (but not quite)

ETA: Stuffing: We also have stuffing but I think yours may be more bread based, ours is more sausage meat based.

Chatting to neighbour, I'm probably way behind the curve on this conversation now!

Haha, I knew what they all were, that's why I said no equivalent, as in I know what it is but we don't have it here. Dill pickle I think is what we call gherkins, which I adore and that's why I want to try the fried pickles when I come over.

So your hot cider isn't actually cider? Pointless if no alcohol is involved. I prefer mulled cider to mulled wine.

I'm pretty sure I've had ranch, it's the default in the States after all and I've been a few times. Will make a conscious effort to try again.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My best guesses:

fig roles - fig newtons but rounder - yes!
    rich tea - tea with milk in it - like sugar cookies but without the sugar - then what's the point?
    malted milk - the inside of Whoppers - no idea what they are! - see below
    garibaldi - don't call me names - aka known as "squashed fly biscuits" - I don't want any flies in my biscuits, squashed or otherwise
    shortbread - a small fruit flavored cake, possibly with a firm frosting - biscuit in a twix - I like that. Didn't know it existed outside of the candy bar. lol

I give you Whoppers!!! You need them in your life. Quite crunchy and delicious.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Ah, maltesers!

Maltesers are INFINITELY superior to Whoppers.

Infinitely.

They've finally made their way into World Market over here and I about cried of joy. Maltesers are so good.

You Brits have so much yummy stuff.

And also....unsalted fries (chips??) seemed to be the norm. Loved that.

~Lyssa
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Argh, I can't fix the quote thingy, click show previous to see my response. Sigh.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    mum23 wrote: »
    So this is random but do y'all have dinner rolls? Or is that an American thing?
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

we have biscuits that aren't cookies.
    custard creams, bourbons, digestives...loads.
    No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

fig roles, rich tea,malted milk, garibaldi, shortbread.

You forgot the ginger nuts
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    katkins73 wrote: »
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

Best biscuit for dunking in tea. Love a ginger nut.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    katkins73 wrote: »

No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

Love ginger nuts. Don't contain any nuts but have tea-resistent dunk-ability.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's time to learn how to use google!
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    They aren't fancy biscuits. Now Viennese whirls, homemade or brandy snaps are a bit fancy.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Pigs in a Blanket

Haha, I knew what they all were, (oh, gotcha) that's why I said no equivalent, as in I know what it is but we don't have it here. Dill pickle I think is what we call gherkins, which I adore and that's why I want to try the fried pickles when I come over. Pickles and gherkins are basically the same concept. Dill is a certain "flavor" of pickle, if you will.

So your hot cider isn't actually cider? Pointless if no alcohol is involved. I prefer mulled cider to mulled wine.
    Nope. Not this kind, anyway.

I'm pretty sure I've had ranch, it's the default in the States after all and I've been a few times. Will make a conscious effort to try again.
    This time try dipping *crisps* in ranch chip dip. Also, any veggies you like.

• nikinuu
    nikinuu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Getting back to fried food I think you'll find we do fry things havn't you heard of the great English breakfast?!? Best hang over cure there is!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    nikinuu wrote: »
    Getting back to fried food I think you'll find we do fry things havn't you heard of the great English breakfast?!? Best hang over cure there is!

I grill most of the items contained in a "fry up". But that's not deep fried anyway. But you will see mention of the great many things we do fry earlier in the thread!
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread! Cream first and plenty of it! Anyone who says jam first is plain wrong!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    The UK use kgs more now
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    nikinuu wrote: »

I grill most of the items contained in a "fry up". But that's not deep fried anyway. But you will see mention of the great many things we do fry earlier in the thread!

Agree ....me too
    I'm loving this thread! Cream first and plenty of it! Anyone who says jam first is plain wrong!

Hell no...cream has to hit the roof of your mouth as you bite through to the strawberry jam and soft crumbly scone

It's basic science ;)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    FiNnY22 wrote: »
    Lets not start talking about chocolate either....anybody in the UK tasted American chocolate? not good. :)

My boss used to send his UK peer gifts of Hershey chocolate just to tease him. I agree UK (probably most of Europe) chocolate is so much better. Clotted cream is yummy. Hobnobs are amazing! If only I could get a decent ice tea! Seems like ice is almost as scarce as the crown jewels.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious! Our raid team (yeah, I play WoW) has an Australian, a gal from England, a gal who was from England but now lives in Canada, a couple of Canadians, and the rest of us are USers. I've heard of many, many things in this thread thanks to those lovely folks, but I gotta say... undercrackers was a new one. I *love* fries (chips) with malt vinegar on them, and the Cadbury Creme Egg is my favorite part of Easter. I've only seen Maltesers in the store once. But then, I live in Alaska and it can be hard to find worldly variety that isn't Korean/Mexican in nature. My ultimate weight-loss goal reward is a trip to Scotland. I hope by then we can afford it and that we can take a good month or so to travel around viewing Scotland & England both. I want to hit a lot of distilleries and pubs for an authentic food experience. I imagine I will need to go right back into a deficit when I return to undo the damage I plan to do while I'm there. :D

(PS, still begging the team to find a Scottish member because I absolutely adore the accents. I keep telling my husband he'd get a lot more action if only he'd learn how to talk like them. :P)