Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    American here. Since using MFP, I automatically understand "chips" to mean "fries" in every conversation unless otherwise noted. It's inside my brain. :(
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I just want to go to that hotel rabbitjb posted a picture of (afternoon tea picture).
    Not because I think I would like afternoon tea. I just want to sit around and soak up all the posh.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I believe our digestives are their graham crackers (WTF cracker). At least that's what I can gather from cheesecake recipes as that's what they have as the base.

Something is different about them, no. I couldn't describe it, but I had tea twice a day at school when I was in England for it :) Or just breaks. I couldn't tell which, since there was tea and biscuits ;)

We have graham crackers and animal crackers, and I have no idea why either is called a cracker because they are sweet. They are each their own texture and taste, though, so they are hard to compare to other things. We should just call them cookies, too. We aren't picky on what constitutes a cookie like y'all are :grin:

Oh! Fig Newtons (rolls there) aren't cookies, exactly, over here. So maybe I do get it after all!

Carlos, try to guess what a jumper is. That one confused me with no context whatsoever. And 'half 10' or 'half 8', etc. I kept forgetting whether it was 7:30 (half till 8) or 8:30 (half after) that the UKers (and Irish) meant.

For gravies, I bet most Americans aren't even familiar with one of my favorites with a ham and biscuit breakfast: red eye gravy. So that'd be ham grease and fried coffee served on a biscuit, yes :grin: Try it sometime!

Yes, graham crackers and digestive biscuits are definitely different. The original graham crackers would have probably been very similar, but they've become sweeter with less whole-grain character over the years. We have something with a similar vibe to McVities Digestives here - BelVita Breakfast Biscuits. They're more whole wheat-y and less sweet than graham crackers.

BTW - I think grahams are called crackers because the guy who invented them (last name Graham) did so to create a 'health food' designed to suppress carnal desires and calling them cookies would definitely not fit that idea. As if it would ever work. Plus, they were not sweet to begin with - much more cracker-y, less cookie, um, -y.
  • Twincle1970
    Twincle1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Whats corn bread and corn mash?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

Jelly? JELLY!!!???? I'll have you know that in the land of our Queen, such a substance is known as jam, sir!

In the UK:

Jam = Jelly
    Jelly = Jello

Fanny means a different body part over here, too! (Lowering the tone just a tad!!!!!)

Jam = thicker but smoother and easier to spread than jelly

00041800000456_full.jpg

Jelly = slightly more "watery" and chunky, harder to spread than jam

welchs-jelly.png

Jello = flavored gelatin served in hospitals

1-jello-mold-dreamalittlebigger.jpg

Jam (in the U.S.) has fruit solids in it. Jelly (in the U.S.) is made from fruit juice, no solids.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I believe our digestives are their graham crackers (WTF cracker). At least that's what I can gather from cheesecake recipes as that's what they have as the base.

Something is different about them, no. I couldn't describe it, but I had tea twice a day at school when I was in England for it :) Or just breaks. I couldn't tell which, since there was tea and biscuits ;)

We have graham crackers and animal crackers, and I have no idea why either is called a cracker because they are sweet. They are each their own texture and taste, though, so they are hard to compare to other things. We should just call them cookies, too. We aren't picky on what constitutes a cookie like y'all are :grin:

Oh! Fig Newtons (rolls there) aren't cookies, exactly, over here. So maybe I do get it after all!

Carlos, try to guess what a jumper is. That one confused me with no context whatsoever. And 'half 10' or 'half 8', etc. I kept forgetting whether it was 7:30 (half till 8) or 8:30 (half after) that the UKers (and Irish) meant.

For gravies, I bet most Americans aren't even familiar with one of my favorites with a ham and biscuit breakfast: red eye gravy. So that'd be ham grease and fried coffee served on a biscuit, yes :grin: Try it sometime!

Yes, graham crackers and digestive biscuits are definitely different. The original graham crackers would have probably been very similar, but they've become sweeter with less whole-grain character over the years. We have something with a similar vibe to McVities Digestives here - BelVita Breakfast Biscuits. They're more whole wheat-y and less sweet than graham crackers.

BTW - I think grahams are called crackers because the guy who invented them (last name Graham) did so to create a 'health food' designed to suppress carnal desires and calling them cookies would definitely not fit that idea. As if it would ever work. Plus, they were not sweet to begin with - much more cracker-y, less cookie, um, -y.

We have Belvita here and I've tried them. They're harder than our digestives but I guess similar in flavour. I can add graham crackers to the try list then! For research purposes obviously..........
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    And what is mash?
    Sounds like thick heavy soup. Or grits.

Nah. That's where white lightenin' comes from.

Maybe over there...but over here, white lightning means a white dude streakin'.

Then you ain't from the south. White Lightnin' is moonshine! (distilled corn mash liquor, high alcohol content).

I surmise that 'clotted cream' is analogous to what we call 'whipped cream' or maybe more like whipped heavy cream. I love scones, but have never eaten them with jam or clotted cream - the scones in the US are usually already sweet by themselves.

Clotted cream is a different beast altogether. Hard to explain really. We just call whipped cream whipped cream. If it comes out of a can it's squirty cream!
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just to confuse even more....you can get savoury scones which you definitely would n't put jam and cream on..at least I would n't :|
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I live in England but go to Texas regularly (and am very excited about going there for 3 months in early 2017, yay!)

Biscuits and gravy was one of my favourite discoveries, probably only paralleled by kolaches! Ironically, linked back to the title of the thread, I tend to put on around a stone whenever I visit...and I normally go for a fortnight (2 weeks!)

So many confusions around terminology on my first visit - as soon as I arrived I asked for a glass of squash and everybody started laughing as they thought I meant the vegetable (it's like a liquid version of crystal lite, very popular/common here). I did take a tin of spotted dick one year which I understand is regularly shown to guests as they find it tres amusant!

I need to remember to make them scones with jam on my next trip - I hadn't realised they weren't really a thing over there :)
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    We live in the past. Don't mind us.

shhh...it's nicer here, we have bone china and scones too

I'm assuming bone china is china made of bone rather than porcelain?

Bone China has bone ash added to the China clay, that's what gives it the name.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just want to go to that hotel rabbitjb posted a picture of (afternoon tea picture).
    Not because I think I would like afternoon tea. I just want to sit around and soak up all the posh.

That one is in Soho and also has a private cinema .. we went to see Elf before Christmas there .. cos Christmas traditions must be upheld and Elf is one of ours

I love afternoon tea in proper hotels - sandwiches in small strips with no crusts, bone china (know what it is now?), efficient, polite and reserved service .. get on with you and your 'have a nice days'

also your gravy looks horrible .. sorry .. wouldn't!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    We live in the past. Don't mind us.

shhh...it's nicer here, we have bone china and scones too

Ooooh, scones. With clotted cream and jam and a nice cup of tea. Drool.

What is clotted cream? And yes, my google is broken as I am following the lead of so many who have come before me on MFP. Ask it here since search engines take waaaay tooooo much time.

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    Okay, scrolled up thread and found someone saying clotted cream=custard. nvm people I am learning how to read.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Okay, scrolled up thread and found someone saying clotted cream=custard. nvm people I am learning how to read.

it is not custard

it's a very, very, very thick cream .. thicker than whipped
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    In love with this thread! Firstly, get you're ice cream away from our scones, secondly you have to do jam first otherwise you can't fit enough cream on and thirdly, until you have had clotted cream you haven't eaten heaven in a pure fat spoonful! !
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    This is not a joke :)

what-british-english-people-say-vs-what-they-really-mean.png

Hahahahahahaha I love this. Its so true.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

it is not custard

Is this your way of saying I really must come over for dinner? English is the hardest language.

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    And what is mash?
    Sounds like thick heavy soup. Or grits.

Nah. That's where white lightenin' comes from.

Maybe over there...but over here, white lightning means a white dude streakin'.

Then you ain't from the south. White Lightnin' is moonshine! (distilled corn mash liquor, high alcohol content).

I surmise that 'clotted cream' is analogous to what we call 'whipped cream' or maybe more like whipped heavy cream. I love scones, but have never eaten them with jam or clotted cream - the scones in the US are usually already sweet by themselves.

white lighting=Burt Reynolds+bad movie=moonshine

• Sued0nim
    Options

it is not custard

Is this your way of saying I really must come over for dinner? English is the hardest language.

Come.. come .. I'll make you burgers
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    White Lightning in the UK is cider and teenage regrets.