Options

Replies

• Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mum23 wrote: »
    So this is random but do y'all have dinner rolls? Or is that an American thing?
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

we have biscuits that aren't cookies.
    custard creams, bourbons, digestives...loads.
    No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

Custard creams are like vanilla oreos, bourbons are similar to oreos but the chocolate biscuit isn't as strong, the cream is chocolate and they are rectangular, digestives are round, plain biscuits, lots of grains, great to dunk in tea!
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't even realize until now that biscuits of the non-cookie variety aren't a thing in the UK.

No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

fig roles, rich tea,malted milk, garibaldi, shortbread.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    English people who eat American bread says it tastes more like a pastry

American bread is much much sweeter than English bread. Our normal bread is like your sour dough.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I associate the word cookie with chocolate chip uneven textured delicious fellas. Often oversized (because 'murica). Biscuits are British and uniform and smooth and also delicious. Usually dunked in tea. Shortbread though, bet that's confusing too.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    And don't forget the argument about how to pronounce scone - is it "scon" to rhyme with gone or "scown " to rhyme with own. I'm a softy southerner (UK) so I say the second version. And I weigh 10 stone not 140 pounds on a good day.

I'm from the North, so it's 'Sconn' in these parts! I keep my little finger tucked in when drinking tea, too!
  • mum23
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    And don't forget the argument about how to pronounce scone - is it "scon" to rhyme with gone or "scown " to rhyme with own. I'm a softy southerner (UK) so I say the second version. And I weigh 10 stone not 140 pounds on a good day.

I'm from the North, so it's 'Sconn' in these parts! I keep my little finger tucked in when drinking tea, too!
    heathen!!

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I believe our digestives are their graham crackers (WTF cracker). At least that's what I can gather from cheesecake recipes as that's what they have as the base.
  • moya_bleh
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

Jelly? JELLY!!!???? I'll have you know that in the land of our Queen, such a substance is known as jam, sir!

In the UK:

Jam = Jelly
    Jelly = Jello

Fanny means a different body part over here, too! (Lowering the tone just a tad!!!!!)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Jetamu96 wrote: »

No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

1) Custard creams are like vanilla oreos, 2) bourbons are similar to oreos but the chocolate biscuit isn't as strong, the cream is chocolate and they are rectangular, 3) digestives are 4) round, plain biscuits, lots of grains, great to dunk in tea!

1) I can roll with that.
    2) Bourbon is an alcoholic beverage. Unless it's bourbon chicken, then it's a brown sugar (I think?) based sauce.
    3) "Digestives" sounds like a medicine/supplement if not a vague description of any non-fiber food.
    4) Sooo....crackers?
  • moya_bleh
    Options

heathen!!

Indeed. We call it breakfast, dinner and tea as well. Electricity is a novelty here!
  • mum23
    Options

heathen!!

Indeed. We call it breakfast, dinner and tea as well. Electricity is a novelty here!

breakfast, lunch and dinner...
    you have your bathroom on the ground floor along the way from the kitchen? :#
    Barnsley (for a while) lass

• FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lets not start talking about chocolate either....anybody in the UK tasted American chocolate? not good. :)
  • Carlos_421
    Options

No idea what those are.

Confused-MEME.jpg

fig roles, rich tea,malted milk, garibaldi, shortbread.

My best guesses:

fig roles - fig newtons but rounder
    rich tea - tea with milk in it
    malted milk - the inside of Whoppers
    garibaldi - don't call me names
    shortbread - a small fruit flavored cake, possibly with a firm frosting
  • ashleyrichey616
    ashleyrichey616 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

And jam first always. Heathens.

Oh dear, someone has really been treating you terribly on the biscuit end. Scones are much denser and even drier (and I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's just what it is) than biscuits (should be). A good biscuit should be flaky and full of layers (or at least 'pockets') that you can pull apart.
  • ParadiseLost91
    ParadiseLost91 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you all just used the metric system like the rest of us (go Europe!) we wouldn't even be having this discussion spinning out of control and turning into a scone-cookie-clotted cream discussion!

However, I quite like this thread. It reminds me of why I should book a plane to England soon.

Danish person here, LOVE scones with jam and clotted cream (jam goes first!). I have family in Suffolk and they have taught me the deliciousness of afternoon tea.
    Also my Danish friends look at me weird when I put milk in my tea (I've really taken that habit with me from England).

But seriously. I know American food is great (burgers, tex mex, barbecue etc), but you all have to try a proper English afternoon tea. You get the CUTEST little sandwiches, lovely tea (I'm loving Blue Bird tea which I order from England) and of course the scones with jam and clotted cream.

Ugh. Wish my country had amazing food!
    PS the metric system is the best *runs and hides*
  • moya_bleh
    Options

heathen!!

breakfast, lunch and dinner...
    you have your bathroom on the ground floor along the way from the kitchen? :#
    Barnsley (for a while) lass

Bathroom? Hole in't ground!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    My best guesses:

fig roles - fig newtons but rounder - yes!
    rich tea - tea with milk in it - like sugar cookies but without the sugar
    malted milk - the inside of Whoppers - no idea what they are!
    garibaldi - don't call me names - aka known as "squashed fly biscuits"
    shortbread - a small fruit flavored cake, possibly with a firm frosting - biscuit in a twix

• Carlos_421
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

Jelly? JELLY!!!???? I'll have you know that in the land of our Queen, such a substance is known as jam, sir!

In the UK:

Jam = Jelly
    Jelly = Jello

Fanny means a different body part over here, too! (Lowering the tone just a tad!!!!!)

Jam = thicker but smoother and easier to spread than jelly

00041800000456_full.jpg

Jelly = slightly more "watery" and chunky, harder to spread than jam

welchs-jelly.png

Jello = flavored gelatin served in hospitals

1-jello-mold-dreamalittlebigger.jpg
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    Oh dear, someone has really been treating you terribly on the biscuit end. Scones are much denser and even drier (and I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's just what it is) than biscuits (should be). A good biscuit should be flaky and full of layers (or at least 'pockets') that you can pull apart.

You mean it shouldn't break my foot if I drop it. Damnit.