Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    How did the American version stray so far from the English version of so many words?
    Cookie=biscuit
    Stone=14 lbs
    trunk=boot
    suspenders=braces
    Windbreaker=windcheater

I used to work in a ski clothing store. An English couple came in looking for a light jacket and almost fell over laughing when I asked them if they wanted a windbreaker.

Pause. Rewind.
    You use "boot" to refer to something other than footwear?

Haha!

Trash = rubbish
    Faucet = tap
    Pants = undercrackers
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that the 'Nice' biscuits are completely mis-named and are in fact utterly vile. Tunnocks caramel wafers on the other hand are the food of the Gods.

I once had a hilarious conversation with a couple of guys working in Home Depot (like B&Q, but all the appliances are waaay bigger) as I tried to explain that I wanted a bath plug. Blank looks all round. After various mimes and a bit of head-scratching, it eventually dawned on me I should have been asking for a tub-stopper.

I'm Yorkshire born, but living in the US (and yes, it's breakfast, dinner and tea).

IME people at Home Depot lack the ability to recognize the description of any product unless you can say exactly what's on the label.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    How did the American version stray so far from the English version of so many words?
    Cookie=biscuit
    Stone=14 lbs
    trunk=boot
    suspenders=braces
    Windbreaker=windcheater

I used to work in a ski clothing store. An English couple came in looking for a light jacket and almost fell over laughing when I asked them if they wanted a windbreaker.

Pause. Rewind.
    You use "boot" to refer to something other than footwear?

Haha!

Trash = rubbish
    Faucet = tap
    Pants = undercrackers

If we say rubbish we mean trash but no one says it seriously unless you want to sound extra high and mighty in an argument (I.e. "Oh, that's a bunch of rubbish. That could never happen.")

We'll use faucet and tap interchangeably but tap usually refers specifically to alcoholic uses of the device or to "tap water" (water from the faucet as opposed to bottled).

I have never heard undercrackers before in my life but I'm sure I'll use it now.
    Makes me think of firecrackers in someone's shorts. Lol
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is hysterical...great lunchtime read! I am living in America having been raised in Canada by British-born parents. Tradition remains as I bought the tartan tin of shortbread for Christmas! :)
    Backing up to the comment about the "measurment system"....it was not the Brits that have saddled the US with the archaic system still in use here. You notice that pretty much the rest of the world has managed to sychronize with an easily understandable base 10 system. Even as a child, I realized you didn't have to know how to convert every inch to centimeters...just start measuring in centimeters. I realize it was much more difficult for the adults to change their "internal visual" knowlege of measuring, but it could just as easily happened here as everywhere else. Not quite sure how the "stone" hung on?
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    This is hysterical...great lunchtime read! I am living in America having been raised in Canada by British-born parents. Tradition remains as I bought the tartan tin of shortbread for Christmas! :)
    Backing up to the comment about the "measurment system"....it was not the Brits that have saddled the US with the archaic system still in use here. You notice that pretty much the rest of the world has managed to sychronize with an easily understandable base 10 system. Even as a child, I realized you didn't have to know how to convert every inch to centimeters...just start measuring in centimeters. I realize it was much more difficult for the adults to change their "internal visual" knowlege of measuring, but it could just as easily happened here as everywhere else. Not quite sure how the "stone" hung on?

What if we like our pounds, gallons and inches?

I wouldn't be surprised if American football and the auto industry had a hand in staving off the metric system.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I can use cm or inches, miles but not km, meters but not yards

I'm fine with pints and ml but don't like litres

I like ounces for baking but measure food for logging in grammes

I weigh myself in stones, but convert to pounds in my head to log weight on MFP

• Twincle1970
    Twincle1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    gosh this thread escalated quickly, i posted at work, got home now there's 6 pages :o So walking down the sidewalk pavement, pondering the soccer football scores and I felt hungry. So tonight I'll have stir fry with eggplant aubergine and zucchini courgette. Time to get a new pair of sneakers trainers too, off down the highway motorway now, catch you later. its cold here in the fall Autumn B)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Twincle45 wrote: »
    gosh this thread escalated quickly, i posted at work, got home now there's 6 pages :o So walking down the sidewalk pavement, pondering the soccer football scores and I felt hungry. So tonight I'll have stir fry with eggplant aubergine and zucchini courgette. Time to get a new pair of sneakers trainers too, off down the highway motorway now, catch you later. its cold here in the fall Autumn B)

Do you know how many years I lived here before I realised what 'arugula' was? I kept seeing it on menus, but had absolutely no flippin' idea if it was animal, vegetable or mineral.

I noticed recently that Pret a Manger is now in the US. Quite fancy strolling in there and asking for their crayfish and rocket sandwich just to see what I'd end up with.

And the looks on people's faces here when I was asked what sport I played at school and I replied that I played defence in hockey. How the heck was I supposed to know everyone thought it meant I strapped on my skates and barged into people at high speed, rather than running around on a field and swearing at my opponents?
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pigs in a Blanket
    Funnel Cake
    Corndogs
    Fried Pickles
    Bloomin' Onion
    Cinnamon Rolls
    Root Beer
    Ranch Dressing
    Hot Apple Cidar

Take a stab at those! lol

ETA: Stuffing
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Pigs in blankets will never replace our beloved sausage rolls.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

What if the blanket is bacon?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options

Only if the bacon is then wrapped in buttery, flaky goodness.

Where exactly is the funnel in a funnel cake?
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

What about Toad in the hole?
    wum8tmfmk9y8.jpg
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

So if the custard (is that custard?) is on top it's cornish but if the jam is on top it's devon? lol
    It's getting crazy up in here!!!

It's clotted cream. Yum.

Clotted is such an...appetizing word...

Exactly my thought.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

The funnel is not in the cake. The cake is in the funnel. That is, until you squeeze the batter out of the funnel into a deep frier to get THIS!

88cbd2d4b86cefa8_funnel-cake.preview.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Options

What about Toad in the hole?
    wum8tmfmk9y8.jpg

Those pigs are in really big blankets. And I like it.

Note: Pigs in a Blanket are all subpar if the blanket is not Pillsbury Crescent Roll.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options

The funnel is not in the cake. The cake is in the funnel. That is, until you squeeze the batter out of the funnel into a deep frier to get THIS!

88cbd2d4b86cefa8_funnel-cake.preview.jpg

Now I'm hungry...
  • VintageFeline
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pigs in a Blanket
    Funnel Cake: No equivalent
    Corndogs: No equivalent
    Fried Pickles: No equivalent, on my list to try when I come over the pond in May!
    Bloomin' Onion: No idea what this is
    Cinnamon Rolls: Samesies
    Root Beer: No equivalent, I think it may be available some places
    Ranch Dressing: I feel like we have this but I'm not a big dressings person.
    Hot Apple Cidar: Cider. Samesies.

Take a stab at those! lol

ETA: Stuffing: We also have stuffing but I think yours may be more bread based, ours is more sausage meat based.

Chatting to neighbour, I'm probably way behind the curve on this conversation now!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Oh! Pigs in blankets! Yours sound terrible if I'm honest, often made with hotdogs right? Ugh. Proper sausage wrapped in bacon, served with roast dinner. I am also a fan of the sausage roll, proper sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh! Pigs in blankets! Yours sound terrible if I'm honest, often made with hotdogs right? Ugh. Proper sausage wrapped in bacon, served with roast dinner. I am also a fan of the sausage roll, proper sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry.

Yes, Yes and thrice Yes!