Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I may be opening a can of worms here but swede and turnip are different. I think. I'm Scottish, grew up with turnip (neeps) and was elated when I saw both turnip and swede in a supermarket a few years ago south of the border!

I believe swede is rutabaga, isn't it?

Ooooh so that's what rutabaga is! See, more learning!

Is it? I recently found out arugula is rocket

I had a friend who lived here for years (Australian) who didn't realise we call capsicums peppers. She thought all menus that had a dish with peppers in was spicy!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.

Why...why is this not in my life??? I need it!!!!

Which bit? The crackling? Cos if you have kids you'd have to fight them for it

Also she's right on the roasties ...par boiled, shaken against lid to fluff and goose fat
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

A Cornish pastie is a thick pastry encasing diced meat (usually lamb), potatoes, carrots, swede and sometimes celery. Lots of pepper. You eat it hot out of the oven with tomato sauce (ketchup). They're extremely common!!
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

Some people know what a scone is, some don't. I'm not offended nor do I think all Americans are ignorant just because they've never noticed their existence before. Had I never been to America or watched too many Disney vlogs on Youtube I probably wouldn't know what funnel cake is, it's not a big deal.

As an aside. Those scones in Starbucks are a bastardisation of the real deal so not really a good comparative. Much like most foods adopted by another culture.

This is just some light hearted fun about the differences we all notice or come across. I've also lived overseas and experienced other differences (seriously UK, we need to adopt the New Zealand wonder of the roast dinner take away).

Yes a scone is slightly sour, just very very slightly, due to the presence of baking soda or bicarb and the self-raising flour. So they're sweet (the sweet ones, that is) but with a sort of sour neutral cakey taste. The savoury ones (cheese and chives eg) are savoury of course and you wouldn't add cream and jam to those!!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Until now I've never heard of a pasty. Well I have...but not in reference to food. Lol

Err, that's a pastie (spelling matters! ☺)

I think it's pronounced differently, not paste-y, but pasty with the a like in that. Unless you are from Cornwall too (or the West Country in general) when it's much longer.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »
    Until now I've never heard of a pasty. Well I have...but not in reference to food. Lol

Err, that's a pastie (spelling matters! ☺)

I think it's pronounced differently, not paste-y, but pasty with the a like in that. Unless you are from Cornwall too (or the West Country in general) when it's much longer.

No, I'm wrong, I think it is the same spelling, except I guess you don't often get just the one!
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.

Wait here while I go get a patent for Chicken Pot Pie Hot Pockets"...

It's usually beef. Lamb as a close runner up.

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).

I eat lamb a bunch (in the US). The UK definitely seems to be better with savory pies, though (I say while thinking specifically of the Bake-Off show).

We are very good at putting meat into pastry containers. Very very good. So now I want a pasty and a pie.

I would like it if there was a cultural exchange where we get all your sweet pies and you get all our savoury (with correct spelling, heh) ones.

Hello dearest British cousin, Australian here!!

Thank you for inventing meat in a pastry case, but we certainly have perfected the meat pie. The meat pie is our national dish and is heavenly, simply heavenly. Especially washed down with a strawberry milk. Followed by a vanilla slice.
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    I may be opening a can of worms here but swede and turnip are different. I think. I'm Scottish, grew up with turnip (neeps) and was elated when I saw both turnip and swede in a supermarket a few years ago south of the border!

I believe swede is rutabaga, isn't it?

Ooooh so that's what rutabaga is! See, more learning!

Is it? I recently found out arugula is rocket

I had a friend who lived here for years (Australian) who didn't realise we call capsicums peppers. She thought all menus that had a dish with peppers in was spicy!

Yes we often encounter a few problems in the UK - peppers, courgettes, aubergines, pants and especially THONGS!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.

Also she's right on the roasties ...par boiled, shaken against lid to fluff and goose fat

All of it. I need the all of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.

Hahaha oh Carlos, for most of us, bread isn't sweet. 'Murica.

Properly made American biscuits shouldn't be sweet at all.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I like to par boil mine to very almost cooked, so there's lots of fluffing for an extra crispy tater. I'm a bit well known for my roasties. I may even have a picture somewhere..............

9e47gt3zib76.jpg
  • gardensneeze
    Options

Have you ever had a proper roast with all the trimmings?
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Agree, and neither should cornbread. Cuz honey butter.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).

I eat lamb a bunch (in the US). The UK definitely seems to be better with savory pies, though (I say while thinking specifically of the Bake-Off show).

We are very good at putting meat into pastry containers. Very very good. So now I want a pasty and a pie.

I would like it if there was a cultural exchange where we get all your sweet pies and you get all our savoury (with correct spelling, heh) ones.

Thank you for inventing meat in a pastry case, but we certainly have perfected the meat pie. The meat pie is our national dish and is heavenly, simply heavenly. Especially washed down with a strawberry milk. Followed by a vanilla slice.

Once New Zealand dweller here! I understand the Antipodean adoption of the meat pie, I do and you do have some splendid pie shops but I still think we do them better! Can the Brits lay claim to the vanilla slice too?
  • gardensneeze
    Options

Once New Zealand dweller here! I understand the Antipodean adoption of the meat pie, I do and you do have some splendid pie shops but I still think we do them better! Can the Brits lay claim to the vanilla slice too?

Haha probably not seeing as I guess they're French in origin. I lived in the UK for two years (outside London) and I found British meat pies quite hard to find, usually in pubs as a sit down, knife and fork thing and the beef is usually quite (and I loathe this word) chunky, whereas ours is more mince with gravy (and found in every bakery and eaten with hands!!)

I worked in a restaurant in Cornwall right on the beach, it was tres casual and I used to laugh when I'd see people eating pizzas and sandwiches (crab, of course) with cutlery!!
  • gardensneeze
    Options

Oh PS as you know we're quite crude down here and we often refer to vanilla slices as snot blocks. Don't you call them custard slices over there?
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Haha probably not seeing as I guess they're French in origin. I lived in the UK for two years (outside London) and I found British meat pies quite hard to find, usually in pubs as a sit down, knife and fork thing and the beef is usually quite (and I loathe this word) chunky, whereas ours is more mince with gravy (and found in every bakery and eaten with hands!!)

I worked in a restaurant in Cornwall right on the beach, it was tres casual and I used to laugh when I'd see people eating pizzas and sandwiches (crab, of course) with cutlery!!

Damn the French and their sweet pastry concoctions. You're right though, we eat pies a bit differently. If you want a hot pie you'll struggle to just buy one to chow down on as you walk down the street. I'm from Edinburgh and when I was last there we had very Aussie/Kiwi pie shop, twas marvellous. But we still do a great pie and you can get mince pies here in the supermarket! Steak and ale pie though, or steak and stilton, is where it's at for me. Oh or chicken and tarragon!
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Oh PS as you know we're quite crude down here and we often refer to vanilla slices as snot blocks. Don't you call them custard slices over there?

I did not know that! We call them both really, depends how posh you're pretending to be.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Haha didn't see this but yeah, you're right. That's what I meant by "no sweeter than bread," aka not sweet. Lol
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Have you ever had a proper roast with all the trimmings?

Probably not if "proper" means "British." Lol