Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I may be opening a can of worms here but swede and turnip are different. I think. I'm Scottish, grew up with turnip (neeps) and was elated when I saw both turnip and swede in a supermarket a few years ago south of the border!

I believe swede is rutabaga, isn't it?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.

Wait here while I go get a patent for Chicken Pot Pie Hot Pockets"...

It's usually beef. Lamb as a close runner up.

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).

I eat lamb pretty regularly, it's delicious. Get a cheaper roasting cut, marinade in an anchovy/garlic/rosemary/lemon paste and roast for hours, mmmmmmmmm. We just do roast meats really well I think. Pork and crackling is another favourite.

That sounds crazy good!! I'm gonna have to try that.
    As a dude who's cooking prowess is limited to grilling, stir fry and Tex-mex, I'm not sure I've ever seen lemon paste. Is that something I can get here?

(Oh yeah, I should probably just google it... :D:po:) )

ETA just realized I misread it. Not lemon paste. All-of-the-above paste. Got it.

And now you're gonna have to tell me about pork and crackling. :#
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).

I eat lamb a bunch (in the US). The UK definitely seems to be better with savory pies, though (I say while thinking specifically of the Bake-Off show).

We are very good at putting meat into pastry containers. Very very good. So now I want a pasty and a pie.

I would like it if there was a cultural exchange where we get all your sweet pies and you get all our savoury (with correct spelling, heh) ones.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I eat lamb pretty regularly, it's delicious. Get a cheaper roasting cut, marinade in an anchovy/garlic/rosemary/lemon paste and roast for hours, mmmmmmmmm. We just do roast meats really well I think. Pork and crackling is another favourite.

As a dude who's cooking prowess is limited to grilling, stir fry and Tex-mex, I'm not sure I've ever seen lemon paste. Is that something I can get here?

No no, not lemon paste, all those ingredients blended/mortar and pestled into a paste to apply to the lamb! You can Google the recipe though. Very easy. Just whack it in the oven and forget. I generally use shoulder I think.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I may be opening a can of worms here but swede and turnip are different. I think. I'm Scottish, grew up with turnip (neeps) and was elated when I saw both turnip and swede in a supermarket a few years ago south of the border!

Ooooh so that's what rutabaga is! See, more learning!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    White Lightning in the UK is cider and teenage regrets.

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)

That's better than what the Canadians call it: Kraft Lunch (what if I eat it for breakfast???) and they put ketchup on it!! What???

ETA: and if it's a small round loaf of bread, it's a roll and they serve them at steak houses.
    Steakhouse: Rolls with/before your meal
    BBQ joint: Sweet Cornbread muffins with/before your meal
    Granny's Country Kitchen: Biscuits with/before your meal

It is called Kraft DINNER in Canada.

Is someone making fun of Kraft Dinner!? Someone is going to get stabbed!!!!

I LOVE Kraft dinner!!! I just call it Kraft macaroni and cheese! Lol
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

It's *always* beef in a proper Cornish pasty, skirt, I think. You can get all sorts of flavours these days (beef and Stilton, swoon! Or chicken and chorizo) but a proper oggy is always beef.

Is pie dough really a thing? Do you not use the word pastry?

Until now I've never heard of a pasty. Well I have...but not in reference to food. Lol

I have to say though, they sound awesome!
  • VintageFeline
    Options

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)

That's better than what the Canadians call it: Kraft Lunch (what if I eat it for breakfast???) and they put ketchup on it!! What???

ETA: and if it's a small round loaf of bread, it's a roll and they serve them at steak houses.

This is just boxed pasta and powdered sauce that you add milk to right? We used to have it here but haven't seen it in years. I even looked the other day following on from this conversation because I remember having it as a kid. I didn't know macaroni cheese could be made any other way as a child!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

giphy.gif

They still put ketchup on it.

I think Canadians put ketchup on KD about as often as Americans do on their boxed mac & cheese, which is to say that some do and others don't. It's definitely not expected or anything.

I love ketchup deeply but I just can't imagine how anyone ever looked at a bowl of Kraft and thought to put ketchup on it.
    Oh well...I put ketchup on great northern beans so who am I to judge?
  • Carlos_421
    Options

No no, not lemon paste, all those ingredients blended/mortar and pestled into a paste to apply to the lamb! You can Google the recipe though. Very easy. Just whack it in the oven and forget. I generally use shoulder I think.

If you think I'm not gonna try that....you have a 75% chance of being right but only because I'm bad at following through. Lol
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options

This is just boxed pasta and powdered sauce that you add milk to right? We used to have it here but haven't seen it in years. I even looked the other day following on from this conversation because I remember having it as a kid. I didn't know macaroni cheese could be made any other way as a child!

That's the stuff!!! I was the same way as a kid. When my grandma brought her homemade stuff to Christmas dinner I was leery of it because I thought she was trying to copy the "real" Mac and cheese. Lol

ETA done properly (read: if you grew up lower middle class) it's eaten with boiled hot dogs which where sliced and eaten with ketchup.
    Wait!!! That's how the ketchup thing started!! It accidentally got on the Mac and cheese because of the hot dog!!! Just like Reese cups!!!
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    And what is mash?
    Sounds like thick heavy soup. Or grits.

Nah. That's where white lightenin' comes from.

Maybe over there...but over here, white lightning means a white dude streakin'.

Then you ain't from the south. White Lightnin' is moonshine! (distilled corn mash liquor, high alcohol content).

I surmise that 'clotted cream' is analogous to what we call 'whipped cream' or maybe more like whipped heavy cream. I love scones, but have never eaten them with jam or clotted cream - the scones in the US are usually already sweet by themselves.

Ooh no no no, clotted cream is heavy cream with a clotted crust on top. Australian here! But lived in the UK for 2 years including 3 months in St Ives, Cornwall. We don't get clotted cream in Oz but my god, what a revelation!

We do have cream teas here for afternoon tea or brunch except we call them Devonshire teas and we use double cream instead of clotted.

I have to say, that description of gravy as a cream sauce with sausages in it made my skin crawl.
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    Twincle45 wrote: »
    Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone,

no no no, its all wrong, scone rhymes with gone if you say it 'proper' :D

But that depends on how you say "gone"!!!

I would say scone rhymes with con. And I'm from Melbourne, Australia and we do the proper British thing here!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Ya know historically miners took pasties down the mine with main course baked into one end and pudding in the other

Cos they were that awesome :)
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.

Hahaha oh Carlos, for most of us, bread isn't sweet. 'Murica.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cracklings are chicharonnes, right? AKA pork rinds?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Ooooh so that's what rutabaga is! See, more learning!

Is it? I recently found out arugula is rocket
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.

Why...why is this not in my life??? I need it!!!!
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

As an Aussie I find we're stuck right between the UK and the USA in terms of culture and heritage. We get the best of both! Comedians, television, music (UK produces the best of all of those), politics, movies, pop culture .... our language is a mash up of both.

I can shout you a drink (British)
    I can queue for a movie ticket (British)
    I say awesome a lot (American)
    Everyone is mate! (British)

But at the end of the day, we're all bonza cobbers and sheilas here!