Stone????WHAT!?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

What is your problem? This thread was 100% goofing around, having fun and talking about cultural foods.
    Then you came in all uptight with your nose in the air and messed it up. Get over yourself.

Let's see I can google jumpers and get search results about sweaters or I can engage in a fun, enlightening and enjoyable conversation with some really cool, fun people. I choose the latter.

Brits, did I offend any of you for not knowing some things about your culture or have you enjoyed this lighthearted thread as much as I have?

Not in the least bit offended. I'm only offended when one of you asks if Scotland is in England.............. :p (It's not, by the way).
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    PPS. Bowie and Rickman in one week. We truly are a nation in mourning right now. My heart aches.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

I use an Irish soda bread recipe to make the best mock cheddar Bay biscuits ever.
    And I agree with you about the muffin VA cupcake

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Biscuits (the US version) and scones are actually quite similar. Sweet scones are like biscuits with fruit and sugar in the dough. Savoury scones are like biscuits with cheese and herbs/spices in the dough.

And jam first always. Heathens.

Ok...do Americans just call them English muffins or they totally different things? Or are English muffins even a thing in England?

English%20Muffins.jpg

You really should watch "The Great British Bake Off"... Best corny British humor. They make the distinction between biscuits (hard all the way) and cookies (crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle). All my European baking education in 6 seasons
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    6wbpQGp.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

I use an Irish soda bread recipe to make the best mock cheddar Bay biscuits ever.
    And I agree with you about the muffin VA cupcake

Mm mm...cheddar bay biscuits...nom nom nom...
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Many Americans have, in fact, watched a movie or two. Some of us have read books, including the classics. Lots of these are required reading in public high school. Our children know about Harry Potter. We understand about jumpers and trainers and chips and crisps.

Some of us are even capable of using Google if we forget how many pounds are in a stone. :)

Among my friends, there is great sadness right now about Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Our cultures are connected; there is more understanding than misunderstanding...really!

What is your problem? This thread was 100% goofing around, having fun and talking about cultural foods.
    Then you came in all uptight with your nose in the air and messed it up. Get over yourself.

Let's see I can google jumpers and get search results about sweaters or I can engage in a fun, enlightening and enjoyable conversation with some really cool, fun people. I choose the latter.

Brits, did I offend any of you for not knowing some things about your culture or have you enjoyed this lighthearted thread as much as I have?

Not at all. We'd still like to discuss the tea thing in Boston though...someone made a mess in the harbour.

Well we ordered coffee and y'all got it wrong...
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.

Yup, this.

God I love a pasty. Very much a thing. Now I want one, haven't had one in ages! I've even made my own, very simple and very tasty.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Wait here while I go get a patent for Chicken Pot Pie Hot Pockets"...
  • VintageFeline
    Options

It's usually beef. Lamb as a close runner up.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).
  • VintageFeline
    Options

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).

I eat lamb pretty regularly, it's delicious. Get a cheaper roasting cut, marinade in an anchovy/garlic/rosemary/lemon paste and roast for hours, mmmmmmmmm. We just do roast meats really well I think. Pork and crackling is another favourite.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Dear English Cousins,

Oh, don't apologize for me and the jumper thing, lol! The 'school' I went to was Oxford for goodness sake. They enjoyed discussions like this just fine, and we all had lots of laughs :)

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options

It's *always* beef in a proper Cornish pasty, skirt, I think. You can get all sorts of flavours these days (beef and Stilton, swoon! Or chicken and chorizo) but a proper oggy is always beef.

Is pie dough really a thing? Do you not use the word pastry?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    White Lightning in the UK is cider and teenage regrets.

It's so true. My brand was White Star (I assume it was a knock off), plus Richmond Menthol Superkings. Yuck!

Someone earlier said they need to find a way to make mac and cheese sound fancy... In the UK it's called macaroni cheese ;)

Scone is of course pronounced to rhyme with cone, the meal order is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but more importantly, what's the correct term for a bread roll? Roll, barm, barmcake, cob, scuffler? (Obvs roll)

That's better than what the Canadians call it: Kraft Lunch (what if I eat it for breakfast???) and they put ketchup on it!! What???

ETA: and if it's a small round loaf of bread, it's a roll and they serve them at steak houses.
    Steakhouse: Rolls with/before your meal
    BBQ joint: Sweet Cornbread muffins with/before your meal
    Granny's Country Kitchen: Biscuits with/before your meal

It is called Kraft DINNER in Canada.

giphy.gif

They still put ketchup on it.

I think Canadians put ketchup on KD about as often as Americans do on their boxed mac & cheese, which is to say that some do and others don't. It's definitely not expected or anything.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.[/quote]

Wait here while I go get a patent for Chicken Pot Pie Hot Pockets"...[/quote]

Carrot??? Blasphemy!!! Shortcrust pastry; skirt, cubed; potato, sliced; onion. Some have turnip (which is what we Cornish call swede - the rest of you have it the wrong way around. Pastry can be side or top crimped, depending on how your mum taught you. Miners were usually too hungry to care whether or not the pastry was dirty. The only true pasty is a Cornish pssty; accept no substitutes.

• VintageFeline
    Options
    I may be opening a can of worms here but swede and turnip are different. I think. I'm Scottish, grew up with turnip (neeps) and was elated when I saw both turnip and swede in a supermarket a few years ago south of the border!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I eat lamb a bunch (in the US). The UK definitely seems to be better with savory pies, though (I say while thinking specifically of the Bake-Off show).