Replies

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _47885462_creamtea.jpg

So if the custard (is that custard?) is on top it's cornish but if the jam is on top it's devon? lol
    It's getting crazy up in here!!!

It's clotted cream. Yum.

Clotted is such an...appetizing word...

My thoughts exactly! And, what about that other British specialty "spotted dick?" Yum!?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    It is VERY strange that someone from the US would not know what a scone is.

Have you never been to Starbucks? What about any of the hundreds of other coffee and tea houses that you can find in a city of any size? They all have scones...sometimes a bit sweeter than an English scone, but essentially the same thing.

I don't think it's that strange...
    Sure, I'd heard of them but never had one.

I don't like starbucks. If I go, it's through the drive through to get something for my wife. If I go inside it's straight to the counter to get a gift card and back out.

And since I prefer home brewed coffee and don't like tea, you won't find me in coffee shops or frufru tea joints.

Maybe I've even seen one but unless someone said "oh look, scones" I would think to myself "oh look, fancy pastries. Where's the chocolate?"
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    What is this?

United Kingdom 101?

People didn't know mash was mashed potato?

If we're talking about weird foods, what is up with biscuits in the U.S.? Putting gravy on them?

16-Biscuits-and-Gravy.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    007Aggie wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    If we're talking about weird foods, what is up with biscuits in the U.S.? Putting gravy on them?

Best with sausage gravy. Mmmm.

Gravy is just a savory cream sauce. Biscuits are buttery bread. You've never dipped a breadstick in a creamy sauce before?

Adding sausage to the gravy...
    biscuitsgravy.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Josh_LoL wrote: »
    A stone is 14 lbs. I think it's only used here in the UK

Welcome. Glad you came. Lol
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Josh_LoL wrote: »
    A stone is 14 lbs. I think it's only used here in the UK

I think it's also used in Australia by older people.

I am basing this on the fact my mum says stones.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's a weight measurement used in the UK.

This.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1 stone = 14 lbs
    + This.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Helloooo evening crowd!!! Welcome to our multicultural conversation!!!
    giphy.gif
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I often lose stones by throwing them at my neighbors windows .

Just kidding. Its UK measurement. Stone -14 lb :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I believe our digestives are their graham crackers (WTF cracker). At least that's what I can gather from cheesecake recipes as that's what they have as the base.

Something is different about them, no. I couldn't describe it, but I had tea twice a day at school when I was in England for it :) Or just breaks. I couldn't tell which, since there was tea and biscuits ;)

We have graham crackers and animal crackers, and I have no idea why either is called a cracker because they are sweet. They are each their own texture and taste, though, so they are hard to compare to other things. We should just call them cookies, too. We aren't picky on what constitutes a cookie like y'all are :grin:

Oh! Fig Newtons (rolls there) aren't cookies, exactly, over here. So maybe I do get it after all!

Carlos, try to guess what a jumper is. That one confused me with no context whatsoever. And 'half 10' or 'half 8', etc. I kept forgetting whether it was 7:30 (half till 8) or 8:30 (half after) that the UKers (and Irish) meant.

For gravies, I bet most Americans aren't even familiar with one of my favorites with a ham and biscuit breakfast: red eye gravy. So that'd be ham grease and fried coffee served on a biscuit, yes :grin: Try it sometime!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    1Uirw.png?fb
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I believe our digestives are their graham crackers (WTF cracker). At least that's what I can gather from cheesecake recipes as that's what they have as the base.

Something is different about them, no. I couldn't describe it, but I had tea twice a day at school when I was in England for it :) Or just breaks. I couldn't tell which, since there was tea and biscuits ;)

We have graham crackers and animal crackers, and I have no idea why either is called a cracker because they are sweet. They are each their own texture and taste, though, so they are hard to compare to other things. We should just call them cookies, too. We aren't picky on what constitutes a cookie like y'all are :grin:

Oh! Fig Newtons (rolls there) aren't cookies, exactly, over here. So maybe I do get it after all!

Carlos, try to guess what a jumper is. That one confused me with no context whatsoever. And 'half 10' or 'half 8', etc. I kept forgetting whether it was 7:30 (half till 8) or 8:30 (half after) that the UKers (and Irish) meant.

For gravies, I bet most Americans aren't even familiar with one of my favorites with a ham and biscuit breakfast: red eye gravy. So that'd be ham grease and fried coffee served on a biscuit, yes :grin: Try it sometime!

Is it a skirt version of overalls or is it something more like "bangers?" Lol
  • jennifer_417
    Options

A jumper is a sweater, no?
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options

Here or there? lol
    It's basically skirt overalls here.

GJMPRNVY-230-T.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    Options

Here or there? lol

Lol, over there. I believe they call a jumper what we would call a sweater.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Here or there? lol

Wait, are you here and not there? I can't keep up. Lol
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just a sweater. But it was one I'd never heard before when it came up, lol. "I might need a what now?"
  • jennifer_417
    Options

Here or there? lol

Wait, are you here and not there? I can't keep up. Lol

I'm here. Are you there? Lol!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    And what is mash?
    Sounds like thick heavy soup. Or grits.

Nah. That's where white lightenin' comes from.

Maybe over there...but over here, white lightning means a white dude streakin'.

Then you ain't from the south. White Lightnin' is moonshine! (distilled corn mash liquor, high alcohol content).

I surmise that 'clotted cream' is analogous to what we call 'whipped cream' or maybe more like whipped heavy cream. I love scones, but have never eaten them with jam or clotted cream - the scones in the US are usually already sweet by themselves.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Double post.