Why do you hate Dr. Oz?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @JanetYellen why do you ignore his own admissions in front of Congress?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Congress? This was many, many years ago. I have been watching for 2 years. Never seen him selling.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    What does he sell @CooCooPuff
    I should have said endorsed or recommend, but I remember seeing a commercial for a future episode about the benefits of raspberry ketone.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Congress? This was many, many years ago. I have been watching for 2 years. Never seen him selling.

You mean 2014? Are you a cat? 7 of your years to one human year?
  • brianpperkins
    Options

That was two years ago. You have an interesting definition of "many, many years".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Peddling woo? What does he peddle? I have not seen him selling anything.
    The show also has guests like Dr. Weil, Dr. Rosen, and Dr. Furhman. And I learn a bit from them.

In the past two years, I know he has not try to sell anything. (as long as I have been watching).

He doesn't "sell" the products himself - but he gets paid handsomely to endorse them on his show. He peddles the woo that they're effective and will "melt the fat right off your body", etc. when he knows it's all lies and that none of the derp he's spouting is supported by science. He admitted as much in front of the Senate Panel.

Furhman is another quack woo merchant. Not surprising that he's a Dr. Oz guest and his books are endorsed by the great Mehmet. Another crackpot pseudoscientist with books and products to sell. Here's an article which discusses his dietary approaches, and it's pretty easy to see that he's "out there" on much of what he believes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was in the checkout line today and found his face on a 'publication' saying you could lose 14lb in 5 days with his fat blasting diet. Attention grabbing, load of crap. So no, he is still adding to all the misinformation that keeps people confused and spending money to support the diet industry.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I was in the checkout line today and found his face on a 'publication' saying you could lose 14lb in 5 days with his fat blasting diet. Attention grabbing, load of crap.

His website is currently peddling "10lbs in 10 days!"
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I figured he had a year "heads up" before meeting in front of congress. Anyway, it's in the past. He stopped, right?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Janet, why do you like this guy so much?
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The sad fact is that many people, just like the op are sucked into believing the rubbish this guy spouts. There needs to be more awareness of how to determine if a study is a decent evidence based, peer reviewed study or just some poppycock that has been vomited into paper to con and mislead unsuspecting consumers
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I figured he had a year "heads up" before meeting in front of congress. Anyway, it's in the past. He stopped, right?
    Considering what's been posted on this thread, not really.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

He stopped because he was dragged in front of congress. Not because he realized the errors of his ways and stopped out of the goodness of his heart.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

He only stopped if you ignore the claims on his shows, website, and magazine covers. If you pay heed to what he spews, no ... he hasn't.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Cults of personality need followers. Oz has plenty of those.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who regularly scours various medical news services for topics that may be of interest to a general audience, the vast majority comprise items that I find fascinating or useful as a physician, but would be crushingly dull to pretty much everyone else. Real, actual medical science is often made up of studies that add little bits to the accumulated body of knowledge already out there, or explore some small treatment effect. The bigger and splashier the supposed finding, the more rigorous the study must be to justify it. Most of the big claims turn out to be baseless garbage.

What you don’t do is just report the garbage anyway. (Or, at least, I sure as hell try not to.) You don’t promulgate nonsense you know to be based on shoddy science. You don’t decide that the demand for ratings trumps your obligation to properly inform your audience.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/25/doctor-why-quack-tv-docs-like-dr-oz-and-dr-phil-need-to-go.html
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Janet, why do you like this guy so much?

I was wondering the same thing!! OP, are you working on commission?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

That was two years ago. You have an interesting definition of "many, many years".

many + many = 2 years duh
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    He does not sell it directly, but all the raspberry ketones, milk thistle, and all the rest are endorsed by him, and he benefits financially from them. He uses his credentials as a doctor to encourage people to trust him and his guests who have their own woo.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options

You have an interesting definition of "two"--that was a year and a half ago. Not that long.
This discussion has been closed.