My Diet is Better Than Yours (TV Show)

Replies

• Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    I just finished watching the last episode. doesn't the amount lost for some of them seem crazy? The one guy losing 50 lbs in 6 weeks? 8 lbs average per week and 16 lbs in the first week?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Those are fairly typical loss rates for morbidly obese people on The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    I like the show but I don't think it's better than Biggest Loser or Extreme Weight Loss... plus the concept is deceptive. It's not just about the diet but exercise and as some of the trainers pointed out, people didn't lose as much when they weren't working out hard or at their target heart rates. Because of all the variables, I think the only thing it's good for is to show what diets absolutely have no chance of working. The Wellness Smackdown was one, but I think it would be good for someone already thin and healthy who wanted to improve their lifestyle generally, but not for someone trying to lose 100 pounds... the clean momma plan was also terrible. You're not going to lose that kind of wait doing a couple of lunges while you grocery shop. She needed the new guy to step up the intensity. The guy on the Wild Diet lost the most, but I can't get on board with butter in my coffee lol. Plus, he recommends ordering family style to make dining out fun. If you've ever been to Maggianos, you know that family style is more about gluttony than fun lol.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    I love this show for pure entertainment, not to use as a reference for my personal weightloss. Some of the "diets" are kind of funny be the trainers seem to be full of it haha but other seem to be legit

I kind of have a crush on the trainer who is with the No Diet plan guy. Dem cheekbones!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Those are fairly typical loss rates for morbidly obese people on The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss.

They might be typical for those shows but is it real? From the way other reality shows are as far from reality as it gets, I'd doubt it. Maybe every "week" is actually 4 weeks worth of footage or something.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    It's a great money making and entertainment scheme.

As nutrition information and weight loss? Not so much.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited January 2016

They might be typical for those shows but is it real? From the way other reality shows are as far from reality as it gets, I'd doubt it. Maybe every "week" is actually 4 weeks worth of footage or something.

I don't know if a week is a week on this show. On BL it's like 10 days. So it's deceptive but not 4x as long. On EWL 90 days is 90 days, and they usually lose 80-100 lbs. in those, so around a pound a day. On this show some lose 0 or 1 lb. in a week, and under 5 is common. And it feels low budget, so I doubt they dragged it out longer than the 14 weeks or whatever they claim. So a week feels likely to me.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Like a lot of weight loss shows, the draw for me are the weigh-ins and the transformations. The method(s), not so much. And the lame challenges (teams or not) are never a draw for me.

The taskercize lady's social ineptitude was really grating, but she did give a tip that I thought was pretty valuable at the restaurant, reminding her client that you can always order more off the menu later after having your starter. The client was ready to order a bunch of things right off the bat as if the food and the restaurant that serves it are going somewhere. I struggle with that mentality, of eyes being bigger than stomach and the irrational notion of "get it all now or never." This mentality is especially easy to fall into in a restaurant where there is a bit of social pressure to not dilly-dally or be indecisive.

The guy who has been living in his clients yard is also grating, I don't know how his client can stand him, he's such a wienie and never says anything insightful though he seems to believe he's really profound.

The host is pretty nice to look at.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    I've been watching this show and kind of liking it! I'm not much into reality tv and have a few complaints about it- but I really like that they are living their lives during the filming. They aren't at any camp, they are at home, going to work and juggling family life, so it adds that real-life weight-loss challenge aspect. This next week is their last week with their trainer and then then have to do the rest by themselves- so another good lesson in self-motivation and not just glossy "reality tv" where they have a trainer and help all the time.

The definite quacks (taskercize lady and detox juice lady) are gone now, and the trainers left have some good tips- especially the "no diet" guy who teaches lessons on setting up your bedroom for better sleep, drinking water, making healthy choices in the grocery store, etc. He's a bit quirky, but I see what he's doing and it's working for the guy. The Wild diet guy is very paleo sounding and the contestant is a bigger guy so that's the one who lost like 50 lbs in 6 weeks.

I also like the superfoods swap woman- very much focusing on enjoying food still but making smart swaps and portion control. Just common sense stuff.

I'll keep watching. Just wish it made some changes, like actually showing why they picked the diet and what choices they had to pick from.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Sounds like it should be titled "My woo is derpier than your woo".

ercaface wrote: »
    Quacks!!!! Both ladies were quacks! 'Taskercizing'?? Are you kidding me? And cleanses and resets and massaging fat!!! I seriously yelled at the TV. A lot.

How about Prancercise instead?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

This video is even funnier with Pearl Jam's "Even Flow" playing over it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    The guy who has been living in his clients yard is also grating, I don't know how his client can stand him, he's such a wienie and never says anything insightful though he seems to believe he's really profound.

Like! lol! He definitely think he is profound!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Like a lot of weight loss shows, the draw for me are the weigh-ins and the transformations. The method(s), not so much. And the lame challenges (teams or not) are never a draw for me.

The taskercize lady's social ineptitude was really grating, but she did give a tip that I thought was pretty valuable at the restaurant, reminding her client that you can always order more off the menu later after having your starter. The client was ready to order a bunch of things right off the bat as if the food and the restaurant that serves it are going somewhere. I struggle with that mentality, of eyes being bigger than stomach and the irrational notion of "get it all now or never." This mentality is especially easy to fall into in a restaurant where there is a bit of social pressure to not dilly-dally or be indecisive.

Yes, but he's a terrible speaker. It's obvious that he's reading from a prompter.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    I'll keep watching. Just wish it made some changes, like actually showing why they picked the diet and what choices they had to pick from.
    Yes, I wondered about this also and wondered IF the trainers have to pay for their diet to be sponsored, because after all it is free marketing for them and you know just being on they show they are going to make tons of money because consumers also can see if these plans, may be good for them. I personally would not ever buy any of the books, way passed that but find a lot of the information useful for me.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    I like it for entertainment. Like any other reality show I watch I know it's about 5% "real". I wish someone would just point out that the diets that are working are because of CICO. The wild diet guy, obviously eats a lot more protein, fat, and vegetables so likely gets full easily/longer to consume less calories. The superfood swap; swapping out macaroni for cauliflower = less calories. Instead they try to make it look like the wild diet is some sorcery no one understands and the superfood swap is because of some magical foods.

As crazy and unlikable as the taskercise lady is, her client was exercising at least more than before and eating better and was losing 1 lb per week which is normal.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    As crazy and unlikable as the taskercise lady is, her client was exercising at least more than before and eating better and was losing 1 lb per week which is normal.
    and she was definitely not doing enough exercise to lose 10 pounds a week! lol! She would have to be doing some serious exercise to lose that much in a week at her size.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, but he's a terrible speaker. It's obvious that he's reading from a prompter.
    True.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    After all the hoopla, I turned it on last night (OnDemand). I only lasted a few minutes. The only redeeming thing is the wild man diet guy (whatever it's called) is super soft on the eyes. <3