When I see this in the GYM it ticks me off ??? lol

Options

Replies

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    edsmax wrote: »
    It drives me crazy when I see people texting/ talking on cell while doing cardio. Also, people reading paperback books while doing cardio! Really??

What's wrong with multitasking, if 1; is able to? They might have busy lives & this might be, the only time that they have available; to do such things. Also some people might just be doing it, while warming up, waiting for some reason and/or they have a disability, that prevents them; from doing it more intensive. I squat at home, while in a tilted laid down position; on my Total Gym Fit. Since my arms aren't exercising, I'll watch a show or read an article/thread on my phone; for a half hour.
  • texxaskid77
    texxaskid77 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cool people only
    Add me---- when you get a sec
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    edsmax wrote: »
    It drives me crazy when I see people texting/ talking on cell while doing cardio. Also, people reading paperback books while doing cardio! Really??

What's wrong with multitasking, if 1; is able to? They might have busy lives & this might be, the only time that they have available; to do such things. Also some people might just be doing it, while warming up, waiting for some reason and/or they have a disability, that prevents them; from doing it more intensive. I squat at home, while in a tilted laid down position; on my Total Gym Fit. Since my arms aren't exercising, I'll watch a show or read an article/thread on my phone; for a half hour.

My girlfriend never had time for the gym one semester of college so she'd walk up hill on the treadmill and get her reading done at the same time. She'd work up a good sweat over about an hour and got her work done.

Personally, I dislike the judgement of others I'm seeing on this post. No one knows what others are going through or their schedules. Girls with makeup may be coming straight from work to the gym, etc.

This is why people are always posting about being afraid to come to the gym because they don't want to be judged- because people won't stop judging them.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    schughes48 wrote: »
    Women who come in with full makeup and new workout clothes and stand around and do nothing

lol makeup was one of my complaints too, but for the most part, the ladies at my gym who do this also work their *kitten* off. i wouldn't mind so much if they were coming in already done up (been there) but i've legit seen ladies touch up their makeup right before they get started. like. why? don't you sweat?!

I put it on, just to go outside & shovel snow. I also did it with a pink snow shovel, that was only half as wide, as most of the typical 1's & thus it took me twice as long to do but that's fine because it was pink & therefore more feminine!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Cool people only
    Add me---- when you get a sec

Don't know what to do..."cool" seems a lot like "clean," and I've almost added OP like 6 times but instead I'm just having an internal debate about the meaning of cool.
  • texxaskid77
    texxaskid77 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok well when you figure it out, Add me! Thanks
  • StacyJanJ
    StacyJanJ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    - people who just stand in the way when I'm doing walking lunges with a heavy barbell on my shoulders. They can move to the side much more easily than I can, and that aisle I use is meant FOR lunges. Please just step aside for safety and courtesy!
    - People who take super long rests on the equipment people are waiting for and just text and talk without consideration of others
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    jenmar22 wrote: »
    This isn't something that bothers me as much as it makes me curious... Maybe someone can shed some light....

I've never understood why people hike their treadmills/ellipticals up to an extremely high incline or fast speed and then hug the top of the treadmill/elliptical for dear life. It just seems like you're not getting the full cardio effect bc your body isn't doing all the work to maintain the movement (you're basically holding yourself up). And certainly the calorie count on the machine won't be accurate. Why not just put the machine at a setting you can manage without holding onto the top? Is the purpose of this, like leg conditioning or something?

It doesn't really concern me, to each their own. But I'm just curious bc I see so many people do it... Can anyone explain?

Its a good thing it doesn't concern you .....because its not your business why one decides to hang onto a machine. Who knows and who cares.
    Again, this is the reason new comers are afraid of gyms.
    Again, this is why we see 183736 " I'm afriad to go to the gym " posts
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just hate it when someone is hanging out for 5 minutes before starting their run.... or their walking snail slow on the treadmill for over an hour and I just want to get my run on and all the other machines are taken. (5 treadmills where i work out, you almost got to arm wrestle for them.)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I just hate it when someone is hanging out for 5 minutes before starting their run.... or their walking snail slow on the treadmill for over an hour and I just want to get my run on and all the other machines are taken. (5 treadmills where i work out, you almost got to arm wrestle for them.)

Wow
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Ok well when you figure it out, Add me! Thanks

Desperation is so 2013
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It ticks me off when I break a nail deadlifting...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    When do we turn this into a makeup tips thread?
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had someone, thee times, jump in front of me when I was obviously getting ready to get on a machine.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    When do we turn this into a makeup tips thread?

We are waiting for @JoRocka She'll set us straight
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ...still waiting for @JoRocka and still don't know what cool is.

• MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    ...still waiting for @JoRocka and still don't know what cool is.

Decide what cool is yourself, that's what I do because otherwise, I know I am not; other's version of it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    It ticks me off when I break a nail deadlifting...

I know, right???
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,271 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    This isn't something that bothers me as much as it makes me curious... Maybe someone can shed some light....

I've never understood why people hike their treadmills/ellipticals up to an extremely high incline or fast speed and then hug the top of the treadmill/elliptical for dear life. It just seems like you're not getting the full cardio effect bc your body isn't doing all the work to maintain the movement (you're basically holding yourself up). And certainly the calorie count on the machine won't be accurate. Why not just put the machine at a setting you can manage without holding onto the top? Is the purpose of this, like leg conditioning or something?

It doesn't really concern me, to each their own. But I'm just curious bc I see so many people do it... Can anyone explain?

Its a good thing it doesn't concern you .....because its not your business why one decides to hang onto a machine. Who knows and who cares.
    Again, this is the reason new comers are afraid of gyms.
    Again, this is why we see 183736 " I'm afriad to go to the gym " posts

Thanks for taking the time to type that up and argue w/ a stranger on the internet.

See this part where I said "it doesn't really concern me" and "to each their own" and that "I'm just curious." I'm honestly...Just Curious.
    It doesn't really concern me, to each their own. But I'm just curious bc I see so many people do it...

I thought maybe there's some purpose to it that I don't understand. I find it useful to learn about others' strategies in the gym...especially when it comes to cardio.

Didn't mean any judgy intention by it, and I tried to phrase the question as kindly as I could (maybe it didn't come across that way...internet tone can be a b*tch to get across).

I guess curiosity really does kill the cat?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    People who scream out like they are dying when they lift. It's not that serious...

I dated a few girls like this though. Maybe it's just a character trait.