Juicing fast?

Options

Replies

• brittny0627
    brittny0627 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @Wetcoaster Thank you and I wasn't speaking about everyone! only @brianpperkins
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's funny how many people have dissected your flawed position ... well, that is pretty much everyone. You fail to answer simple questions such as why anyone should watch that flawed video when it flies in the face of science ... then concede to talking about others.

The latest laugh from you is your thanking a person agreeing with everyone besides you.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

It's funny how many people have dissected your flawed position ... well, that is pretty much everyone. You fail to answer simple questions such as why anyone should watch that flawed video when it flies in the face of science ... then concede to talking about others.

The latest laugh from you is your thanking a person agreeing with everyone besides you.

I dont agree with her though
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    @brittny0627 How about making a smoothie, instead of juicing or having just 1 serving because juicing removes necessary fiber & another issue with juicing/smoothies (which is why I suggested "a" smoothie, as in just 1 smoothie) is that, some foods aren't ideal; in large quantities. For instance spinach clots blood, therefore large quantities aren't ideal; for someone taking blood thinners. This is as bad, as drinking excessive amounts of water. If 1 doesn't consume everything in moderation, then good foods/drinks; become bad & thus 1 ruins their health, instead of preserving/improving it. Just remember, anything extreme; is bad!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

As I said to her ... "agreeing with everyone besides you" ... aka, not agreeing with her litany of logically flawed posts.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you watched the follow up, one of the guys fell back into his old eating habits as well as quit exercise which resulted in him gaining all the weight back ...due to a personal relationship problem if I am remembering right.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    NVM
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,412 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote:
    Since our bodies can't store protein in useable form
    :confused: Muscles aren't usable?

LOL. Not nutritionally. At least not under circumstances that a vegetarian like me is going to participate in. ;)

Bad phrasing, good catch. But I suspect you know what I meant.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

As I said to her ... "agreeing with everyone besides you" ... aka, not agreeing with her litany of logically flawed posts.

m8vw5404ekw9.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote:

LOL. Not nutritionally. At least not under circumstances that a vegetarian like me is going to participate in. ;)

But your body will break down muscle to get protein that it needs if there isn't enough available from what you're eating -- how is that "not usable nutritionally"? I'm not saying it's a good thing to have happen, but it does happen.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,412 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote:

But your body will break down muscle to get protein that it needs if there isn't enough available from what you're eating -- how is that "not usable nutritionally"? I'm not saying it's a good thing to have happen, but it does happen.

Frankly, I think you're splitting hairs about something I already admitted was imprecisely phrased, and that I think had a pretty clear intended meaning in context. Would you disagree that, as we lose weight, we improve our odds of retaining as much muscle as practical if we routinely eat enough protein?

My point was that juice fasts, as OP described them, were unlikely to provide adequate protein, and that regularly getting enough protein is likely a more healthful strategy.

If you're trying to educate readers about detailed nuances of protein utilization in the body, applause, I guess . . . but it seems a little reach-y in a thread about whether juice fasts are a good idea, or not, and why.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do juice both broccoli and brussel sprouts.

Yuck. Both are so delicious cooked and broccoli is delicious raw too. Why juice them and remove most of the fiber?

I strongly suspect juicing is for those who just won't eat vegetables in a normal way or like to believe woo.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Can't you juice beans?or meat for that matter. Tuna flakes in your vegetables blend... I can't imagine anything more yucky but... if the idea is to only "drink" rather than "eat" and the main issue is protein intake (ok and fiber), then one could juice anything. No?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    Can't you juice beans?or meat for that matter. Tuna flakes in your vegetables blend... I can't imagine anything more yucky but... if the idea is to only "drink" rather than "eat" and the main issue is protein intake (ok and fiber), then one could juice anything. No?

The point is that there are scammers (with books and juicers to sell) who have convinced people through junk science and outright lies that there is some health benefit to a "juice fast" or "juice cleanse". Their recipes are purely vegetable juices, on the ridiculous and scientifically false theory that it somehow "reboots" your metabolism. The truth is that no "cleanse" or "detox" does anything beneficial for the body and can actually be potentially harmful. Calories in < Calories out still applies, but juice fasting will teach you nothing about how to eat or nourish yourself properly. It doesn't "kickstart", "jumpstart" or "reboot" your metabolism, as nothing of the sort actually happens - your metabolism works 24 hours a day every day doing what it does and your liver and kidneys are constantly at work "detoxing" your body.

Basically what a juice cleanse/fast amounts to is a VLCD/starvation diet which is highly unbalanced nutritionally. I don't see how that can be considered healthy or beneficial in any way. It sounds more like a desperate move somebody with an eating disorder (and no knowledge whatsoever of basic physiology or nutrition concepts) would try because they've swallowed the bait of some snake oil salesman.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of the juicing, but some people prefer to judge and nit pick what people say rather then have a positive conversation.

99% of people gain their weight back. Stop using that as an argument to discredit a certain "diet".

I don't think the lack of protein is a huge problem. Most people think If they keep their proteins high during weight loss they'll be left with all this muscle they think they've built up underneath the fat for all these years...wrong. Unless you've been strength training while you've been gaining weight, you'll be surprised with how little muscle is actually there.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of the juicing, but some people prefer to judge and nit pick what people say rather then have a positive conversation.

99% of people gain their weight back. Stop using that as an argument to discredit a certain "diet".

I don't think the lack of protein is a huge problem. Most people think If they keep their proteins high during weight loss they'll be left with all this muscle they think they've built up underneath the fat for all these years...wrong. Unless you've been strength training while you've been gaining weight, you'll be surprised with how little muscle is actually there.

What?

You don't think cell repair is important?

Being overweight does mean you have more natural muscle because your bw acts as resistance, preserving as much LBM in defecit does involve resistance work alongside adequate protein

Also 99% ...totally made up

And I think you'll find that people on here will Buck the national average anyway because of their primary focus of food and fitness awareness
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Many vegetables contain protein.

Personally, I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them.

A juice fast is a way to reduce your calorie intake. It also forces you to increase your consumption of fruits and veggies.

It offers no health benefits, IMO, that you couldn't get from adding the equivalent amount of salad and whole fruits/veggies into your diet.

This always baffles me. If I eat a banana, an apple, a tablespoon of peanut butter, oatmeal, a glass of milk, berries, and a big bunch of kale I'm full and happy for a long while. Now blend them into a shake or juice them and I'm guaranteed to hit the kitchen 30 minutes later after my 500 calorie shake. If anything, I would use juices and shakes to gain weight if it was something I needed to do.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What?

You don't think cell repair is important?

Being overweight does mean you have more natural muscle because your bw acts as resistance, preserving as much LBM in defecit does involve resistance work alongside adequate protein

Also 99% ...totally made up

And I think you'll find that people on here will Buck the national average anyway because of their primary focus of food and fitness awareness [/quote]

For sure relax
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am relaxed thanks ...lying in bed

Just responded to inaccurate information :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I might need to print this out for some of my work colleagues. They keep on trying to push juicing fasts on me. :|

The idea of drinking cauliflower juice makes me gag. :s especially when the real thing sauteed with a dab of chili oil is soooo yummy.