Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    He said the first two statements of yours that he bolded, which were:
    give your digestive system a break
    And
    it immediately flushes you with more nutrients than you could ever eat in a day

Those are total hogwash.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Opposite ! Those are the opinions, of which, I was referring.
    I do appreciate the useful opinions on the topic, objective or not, to the others.

So the opinions of the majority (against juice fasting) aren't "useful"?

Not sure if serious....trolling or don't science.
  • brittny0627
    brittny0627 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    if that was what he was referring to then I apologize because there is nothing bolded on my iPad and responded to a different response of mine.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    He said the first two statements of yours that he bolded, which were:
    give your digestive system a break
    And
    it immediately flushes you with more nutrients than you could ever eat in a day

Those are total hogwash.

And your digestive system doesn't "need a break." That's like saying your lungs and your heart need one.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    100% of study participants who gave their heart and lungs a break found they never gained any weight ever again.

You might be on to something here, @snickerscharlie...
  • brittny0627
    Options
    I agree his motives may be questionable. I would like to think doctors do not tend to endorse things they think are dangerous, however that could definitely be the case. There are other doctors who support juicing without ulterior motives, I was just pulling one up. I can also say that my father is a Physican and we have discussed it many times and he does not oppose or believe that it is dangerous for me. Im just saying that its totally different nutrition wise than water fasting or the cayenne lemonade or something like that, and that I have found it beneficial. I do appreciate everyones constructive criticism.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This really isn't a debate. Many people have different opinions on the topic and I'm just expressing my experience. There's a ton of medical information for both sides of the argument and I've read through a lot of it. I'm basing it on my experience and my opinions. I'm not alone in my experience nor positive feelings towards short term juicing in general. There are options from both medical professionals and nutritionists against and for juice fasting. I don't believe in extended fasting but I'm firm in my belief of shorter term juice fasting. We could pull up and quote stats from both sides all day but there's no need. I'm speaking from my experience. You should check out some of the things others who have done it have to say (both positive and negative).

Heres an MD

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/woodson-merrell-md/juice-cleanses_b_4549641.html

Here's a skeptics who tried a pre made 3 day (which I dont support) opinion on it. Read her last few paragraphs.

I actually think it is all it's cracked up to be. I'm doing my second one now on day 3. Did one last year I think I did 8-10 days or something. I lost 9 lbs (nod I'm not a big girl) and I felt Better. It made me stop eating all the junk food I started eating. If you want to lose a few and get healthy it's a good idea. If you don't want to lose weight you can drink more than the usual juice amount!! :)

If it worked so well, why do you have to do another one?
    mkakids wrote: »
    Many vegetables contain protein.

How could you meet protein needs for 10 days using vegetable juice?

Hahaha
    Wellll lol great question and I can answer it easily. Since I did the 8 or whatever day juice fast last year I've maybe put like 2 lbs on. I'm not doing it to lose weight this time. Only doing 5 days. I'm doing it this time because as a new attorney, I've been going to way too many after work, whiskey filled, steak house dinners. I've managed to maintain but I'm not in the same healthy eating mindset I used to be in. Sooo juice fasting really helps change that mentally and give your digestive system a break. Plus, it immediately flushes you with more nutrients than you could ever eat in a day. That's why!

And to the other question......
    Tons of fruit and veggies have protein as well as healthy fats, and I don't just mean avocados. Plus some people have a handful of almonds or whatever nut while juicing.

The first two things in bold are misstatements. The last, in context, fails miserably. Your final sentence requires breaking the "juice fast" thereby undermining the concept.

What misstatements do you speak of? "First two things" meaning my personal experience and life? What would my motive be for commenting initially, if Its BS. You're incorrect, I spoke about my life. Let's hear about your PERSONAL nutrition goals so I can refute them as well! Aside from that, every persons body obviously react differently. If someone finds themselves reacting negatively due to lack of protein (like a weight lifter used to high levels more or whoever) during the beginning days, many juicing regimens/recommendations from advocates say to have a handful of nuts. I've never had to so I can't speak on that besides what I've read about it. I personally did not create the juicing concept just giving my experience. thanks

Please read the entire sentence before trying to argue against it. Failure to do so only serves to further erode your already intellectually weak position.

• brittny0627
    Options
    Once again, I did read the sentence and do not have bold letters of any kind displayed on my iPad. Therefore I reasonably went to the "first 2 statements" in the message you replied to. Let us not fail to notice you have yet to contributed in any manner to this conversation. Your opinion on my intellect in stating MY opinions is totally irrelevant and meaningless. Not constructive in anyway!

• brittny0627
    Options
    Not trolling! And I may have only one person who agrees in this, but there are many people who agree. Im not sure why it seems as though i am the only person who has this opinion. There have been no scientific studies that have taken place on short term juice fasting. So there is no science to turn to besides the way our bodies and digestive systems work and whether or not it benefits us. Then we are back to the same debate as before. Many agree, and many disagree. It should ok for me to have a different opinion based on my experience. @Wetcoaster

• brianpperkins
    Options
    Once again, I did read the sentence and do not have bold letters of any kind displayed on my iPad. Therefore I reasonably went to the "first 2 statements" in the message you replied to. Let us not fail to notice you have yet to contributed in any manner to this conversation. Your opinion on my intellect in stating MY opinions is totally irrelevant and meaningless. Not constructive in anyway!

I didn't say a thing about your intellect. I commented on the strength of the flawed position you're taking. Quite simply any "juice fast" is at best a waste of time and at worst dangerous. While some vegetables do contain protein, it is not in comparable levels to things like meat and not many of the "juice fast" plans include juicing beans, broccoli, or brussels sprouts ... in fact I've never seen those included in a single plan. Stating that the digestive tract needs a "break" is laughable, even more so when you then continue to push things through it for digestion which again negates the entire concept.

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    100% of study participants who gave their heart and lungs a break found they never gained any weight ever again.

You might be on to something here, @snickerscharlie...

Think we can market it?
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Plenty of doctors have endorsed things that are weakly supported or well-established to be ineffective or even dangerous, whether through ignorance (medical school actually isn't all that nutrition-intensive, and few doctors have the time or inclination to keep up with all the latest research outside their own specialty once they're in practice) or for more malicious/greedy reasons. Like selling bogus diet tricks to those who assume that nothing a doctor recommends could be wrong.

Certainly any medical professional supporting juice "cleanses" (or in fact *any* type of "cleanse") is either in ignorance of the (total lack of) science behind it or, much more likely, stands to benefit in some way from people deciding to juice fast. This is really, really settled science.

We know how the gut works- it doesn't need "rests" for anyone who isn't suffering from a hospitalization-worthy intestinal blockage.

We know that taking in massive amounts of juice does not provide any health benefits beyond what would normally be associated with drinking some juice (ie, some vitamins and minerals that would be similarly available if the person ate the whole fruit or vegetable in question, plus they'd get some fiber in the bargain).

We know that consuming nothing but sugary liquids spikes your blood sugar and consuming no protein, fat, or fiber for days is not good for you.

We know that you can't sustain an all-juice diet very long and that people who crash diet (and that's what a juice fast is) see short term weight loss but do not keep it off for very long, and do not tend to change their regular eating habits afterward.

You're right that this isn't a debate- this is really basic nutrition and a&P 101 stuff.

It's a lot easier to make money telling people that there's a sexy, quick, exotic solution to their weight loss problems than telling them the truth: that it's a matter of eating fewer calories than you burn until you're a normal weight, and then eating the same number of calories you burn, forever. Full stop. That's unsexy and intimidating despite being completely true. Little wonder some doctors suggest crazy diets like juice "cleanses". It makes patients happy, it sells books, it gets you daytime talk shows.

Look at all the pseudoscientific nonsense Dr. Oz promotes. One doctor recommending something- especially one doctor recommending something he sells in a public forum as a panacea- is not evidence of something's effectiveness, it's evidence that doctor is, in the less generous interpretation, willing to say things that aren't true for money, and in the more generous interpretation, hasn't bothered to do any research.

Your own posts speak to what's wrong with juice fasts- you say you lost weight, but you put some back on. You say it changed your eating habits and mindset for the better- but you're back in the same patterns now, enough to feel like you need to repeat the fast.

You can claim it changed you, but the results speak for themselves- it didn't create a permanent change. You *didn't* change your mindset. You may have felt good at some points on the cleanse- hunger sometimes morphs in to a kind of euphoria- and you may have thought more carefully about your food while you were still in the virtuous-feeling afterglow of your week of self-imposed hunger, but within a short time, you were back to overeating steak dinners and drinking whiskey in amounts that caused more weight gain. You didn't learn anything about what's actually good for your body, and you didn't change your daily behavior, so despite your insistence that it "changed" you, you're back to the cleanse. Why would you need to repeat something that changed your behavior for the better? If last year you'd done no cleanse at all but simply started eating at a moderate deficit and kept it up, you'd be down now instead of up "about two pounds," and never have to worry about starving yourself on juice again.
  • brittny0627
    Options
    this is a great video to watch on the topic even as non believers. As it isn't just preaching juicing to you its an experiment and its interesting either way! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaxa7rxEbyk
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    this is a great video to watch on the topic even as non believers. As it isn't just preaching juicing to you its an experiment and its interesting either way! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaxa7rxEbyk

Jason Vale's Juice Tube as a source fails to counter peer reviewed science. Honestly, it fails to pass any reasonable source vetting.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Plenty of doctors have endorsed things that are weakly supported or well-established to be ineffective or even dangerous, whether through ignorance (medical school actually isn't all that nutrition-intensive, and few doctors have the time or inclination to keep up with all the latest research outside their own specialty once they're in practice) or for more malicious/greedy reasons. Like selling bogus diet tricks to those who assume that nothing a doctor recommends could be wrong.

Certainly any medical professional supporting juice "cleanses" (or in fact *any* type of "cleanse") is either in ignorance of the (total lack of) science behind it or, much more likely, stands to benefit in some way from people deciding to juice fast. This is really, really settled science.

We know how the gut works- it doesn't need "rests" for anyone who isn't suffering from a hospitalization-worthy intestinal blockage.

We know that taking in massive amounts of juice does not provide any health benefits beyond what would normally be associated with drinking some juice (ie, some vitamins and minerals that would be similarly available if the person ate the whole fruit or vegetable in question, plus they'd get some fiber in the bargain).

We know that consuming nothing but sugary liquids spikes your blood sugar and consuming no protein, fat, or fiber for days is not good for you.

We know that you can't sustain an all-juice diet very long and that people who crash diet (and that's what a juice fast is) see short term weight loss but do not keep it off for very long, and do not tend to change their regular eating habits afterward.

You're right that this isn't a debate- this is really basic nutrition and a&P 101 stuff.

It's a lot easier to make money telling people that there's a sexy, quick, exotic solution to their weight loss problems than telling them the truth: that it's a matter of eating fewer calories than you burn until you're a normal weight, and then eating the same number of calories you burn, forever. Full stop. That's unsexy and intimidating despite being completely true. Little wonder some doctors suggest crazy diets like juice "cleanses". It makes patients happy, it sells books, it gets you daytime talk shows.

Look at all the pseudoscientific nonsense Dr. Oz promotes. One doctor recommending something- especially one doctor recommending something he sells in a public forum as a panacea- is not evidence of something's effectiveness, it's evidence that doctor is, in the less generous interpretation, willing to say things that aren't true for money, and in the more generous interpretation, hasn't bothered to do any research.

Your own posts speak to what's wrong with juice fasts- you say you lost weight, but you put some back on. You say it changed your eating habits and mindset for the better- but you're back in the same patterns now, enough to feel like you need to repeat the fast.

You can claim it changed you, but the results speak for themselves- it didn't create a permanent change. You *didn't* change your mindset. You may have felt good at some points on the cleanse- hunger sometimes morphs in to a kind of euphoria- and you may have thought more carefully about your food while you were still in the virtuous-feeling afterglow of your week of self-imposed hunger, but within a short time, you were back to overeating steak dinners and drinking whiskey in amounts that caused more weight gain. You didn't learn anything about what's actually good for your body, and you didn't change your daily behavior, so despite your insistence that it "changed" you, you're back to the cleanse. Why would you need to repeat something that changed your behavior for the better? If last year you'd done no cleanse at all but simply started eating at a moderate deficit and kept it up, you'd be down now instead of up "about two pounds," and never have to worry about starving yourself on juice again.

You I like.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    A closer look at Jason Vale ... the source that the new attorney chose to back her position. He is selling juicers and juicing books ... he has a youtube channel dedicated to juicing ... he has a pseudo-documentary called "Super Juice Me" ... in other words he epitomizes every example of what to look for in a woo peddler.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    This really isn't a debate. Many people have different opinions on the topic and I'm just expressing my experience. There's a ton of medical information for both sides of the argument and I've read through a lot of it. I'm basing it on my experience and my opinions. I'm not alone in my experience nor positive feelings towards short term juicing in general. There are options from both medical professionals and nutritionists against and for juice fasting. I don't believe in extended fasting but I'm firm in my belief of shorter term juice fasting. We could pull up and quote stats from both sides all day but there's no need. I'm speaking from my experience. You should check out some of the things others who have done it have to say (both positive and negative).

Heres an MD

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/woodson-merrell-md/juice-cleanses_b_4549641.html

Here's a skeptics who tried a pre made 3 day (which I dont support) opinion on it. Read her last few paragraphs.

I actually think it is all it's cracked up to be. I'm doing my second one now on day 3. Did one last year I think I did 8-10 days or something. I lost 9 lbs (nod I'm not a big girl) and I felt Better. It made me stop eating all the junk food I started eating. If you want to lose a few and get healthy it's a good idea. If you don't want to lose weight you can drink more than the usual juice amount!! :)

If it worked so well, why do you have to do another one?
    mkakids wrote: »
    Many vegetables contain protein.

How could you meet protein needs for 10 days using vegetable juice?

Hahaha
    Wellll lol great question and I can answer it easily. Since I did the 8 or whatever day juice fast last year I've maybe put like 2 lbs on. I'm not doing it to lose weight this time. Only doing 5 days. I'm doing it this time because as a new attorney, I've been going to way too many after work, whiskey filled, steak house dinners. I've managed to maintain but I'm not in the same healthy eating mindset I used to be in. Sooo juice fasting really helps change that mentally and give your digestive system a break. Plus, it immediately flushes you with more nutrients than you could ever eat in a day. That's why!

And to the other question......
    Tons of fruit and veggies have protein as well as healthy fats, and I don't just mean avocados. Plus some people have a handful of almonds or whatever nut while juicing.

The first two things in bold are misstatements. The last, in context, fails miserably. Your final sentence requires breaking the "juice fast" thereby undermining the concept.

What misstatements do you speak of? "First two things" meaning my personal experience and life? What would my motive be for commenting initially, if Its BS. You're incorrect, I spoke about my life. Let's hear about your PERSONAL nutrition goals so I can refute them as well! Aside from that, every persons body obviously react differently. If someone finds themselves reacting negatively due to lack of protein (like a weight lifter used to high levels more or whoever) during the beginning days, many juicing regimens/recommendations from advocates say to have a handful of nuts. I've never had to so I can't speak on that besides what I've read about it. I personally did not create the juicing concept just giving my experience. thanks

As a vegetarian (for 41 years, even), I feel like I know quite a bit about vegetable/fruit sources of protein.

A "handful of nuts" - with my large-ish hands - is going to be somewhere between one & two ounces, and run around 6-8g of protein, 12g tops . . . which can be a nice addition to a day that includes a variety of other good protein sources, but it isn't much on its own.

The most "juice-able" vegetable & fruit sources of protein tend to have only a few grams per 100g of the food, at best (100g broccoli or guava have about 3g protein each, for example - and these are among the better sources). Fruit and vegetables don't typically provide complete proteins (in terms of essential amino acid complement), either.

Since our bodies can't store protein in useable form, I prefer to get an adequate amount daily. At my size I prefer to get minimally 75g/day in order to stay strong and healthy, and 100g is preferable. I'm going to have a tough time doing that on fruits & veggies I can juice, plus a handful of nuts . . . unless I start juicing soybeans or something, which is not usually what folks have in mind.

For healthy people, a short juice fast probably won't do major harm, but I can't see it as something that's going to help me achieve my health and fitness goals.
  • brittny0627
    Options
    i don't think i posted the link properly or it didn't let me but try watching Super Juice Me documentary on youtube. Its an experiment with 28 people not a juice preaching type of thing. Its fascinating no matter your stance.

@brianpperkins I agree it isn't comparable! However, thats why I would only do it for a short term. I do juice both broccoli and brussel sprouts. Sidenote, I am not one of the people who watched fat sick nearly dead and sprinted to jump on that wagon I hate that and this doc isn't like that. I don't follow someones particular guidelines. I do 80 percent greens of any kind and 20 fruit, 16 ounces 6 times a day or more if Im hungry. Lol just telling you the way I do it.

Check out the documentary, I haven't seen it in a while but I think in this experiment they included beans or something.
  • brittny0627
    Options
    Lol everyone I simply said its fascinating because it is an experiment that we can watch unfold. Unlike joe cross. Yes he sells items but that is besides my point of the experiment being far more broad and fascinating. I am not in court, I didn't say this is foundation or demonstrative evidence lol. I don't see how being a new attorney plays any role in stating that I find a Docu interesting.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    i don't think i posted the link properly or it didn't let me but try watching Super Juice Me documentary on youtube. Its an experiment with 28 people not a juice preaching type of thing. Its fascinating no matter your stance.

@brianpperkins I agree it isn't comparable! However, thats why I would only do it for a short term. I do juice both broccoli and brussel sprouts. Sidenote, I am not one of the people who watched fat sick nearly dead and sprinted to jump on that wagon I hate that and this doc isn't like that. I don't follow someones particular guidelines. I do 80 percent greens of any kind and 20 fruit, 16 ounces 6 times a day or more if Im hungry. Lol just telling you the way I do it.

Check out the documentary, I haven't seen it in a while but I think in this experiment they included beans or something.
    What logical reason is there for me to check out a "documentary" (a stretch in this case) that is based on a position that violates science?

The only thing you've said in this thread that I agree with is that this isn't a debate. A debate requires two or more viable positions that can be discussed using fact and logic. Juicing cannot be defended using those in the face of actual science which partially explains the ridiculous sources you're encouraging others to watch.