Vegruary anyone?

Options

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I say congratulations and good luck! I've always wanted to go vegan. I hate that I am the cause of animals losing their lives. Unfortunately I was raised on meat, meat, meat. Then butter, cheese, etc.etc.etc...and I love it. But it seriously upsets me when I think about it. I've switched to pasture raised, grain free, certified humane. I pay a few more dollars a pound or a few more dollars for a dozen eggs. I've totally given up milk and butter. Small steps. One day I'll get there. I've thrown out all my leather shoes, belts, purses, etc years ago.

Best of luck to you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can see wanting to be vegan for ethical reasons but not being sure if one could do it, so trying it for a less overwhelming period of time than forever to convince yourself you can cut it.

Personally, I'd probably start by going vegetarian if I weren't already and just try to phase in as many vegan meals as possible, and definitely research how to do a good, balanced vegan diet that includes all the nutrients you need (including understanding how to get protein and figuring out what should be supplemented, like B12). There are good groups and other vegans around here who can give you good advice if you want to take advantage of it. Good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I say congratulations and good luck! I've always wanted to go vegan. I hate that I am the cause of animals losing their lives. Unfortunately I was raised on meat, meat, meat. Then butter, cheese, etc.etc.etc...and I love it. But it seriously upsets me when I think about it. I've switched to pasture raised, grain free, certified humane. I pay a few more dollars a pound or a few more dollars for a dozen eggs. I've totally given up milk and butter. Small steps. One day I'll get there. I've thrown out all my leather shoes, belts, purses, etc years ago.

Best of luck to you!

I do have to say that generally, most vegans didn't hate the taste of meat itself. Those of us in the States have been exposed to similar types of foods. I used to love cheese - love it. ALL kinds of cheese. I thought giving that up would be the hardest part of going vegan. But, turned out not to be. One day, I decided that was it. Next day, I was vegan. Have been for 6+ years.

I think it's great you're taking the steps you are!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Congrats on wanting to give it a try. I switched to all grain/plant based (vegan) a sort while back and loving it. You can add me as a friend if you would like. My diary is open, there is also tons of info and great documentaries out there you can watch and maybe that will help you commit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Why do this if only for a month? And if you couldn't commit to Jan, what makes you think you can commit to feb?

Dare I ask why this was flagged?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Why do this if only for a month? And if you couldn't commit to Jan, what makes you think you can commit to feb?

Dare I ask why this was flagged?

Because more people lack understanding of the flagging system than have a grip on it.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Wow. So much negativity in this thread!
    Yo, vegans: Eating vegan is not the same as practicing vegan lifestyle. Why the negative nastiness here? No one has to think, believe, or even eat the same way you do in order to do one or the other. You don't get to determine what's better for anyone else, nor are you allowed to dictate how they feel or what they believe.

Angel- Give it a shot and see if it works for you! Some people can go without any animal products in their diets, and some can't. :) (I tried to eat vegan and got very sick- turns out I can't digest soy at all. Who knew?)
  • veganbaum
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yo, vegans: Eating vegan is not the same as practicing vegan lifestyle. Why the negative nastiness here? No one has to think, believe, or even eat the same way you do in order to do one or the other. You don't get to determine what's better for anyone else, nor are you allowed to dictate how they feel or what they believe.

Angel- Give it a shot and see if it works for you! Some people can go without any animal products in their diets, and some can't. :) (I tried to eat vegan and got very sick- turns out I can't digest soy at all. Who knew?)

Why are you directing your comment to vegans? I think the more "negative" comments are coming from non-vegans. At least, I'm pretty sure they're non-vegans, could be wrong. You read enough vegan threads, and you'll see that most of the comments come from non-vegans.

And, technically, the term vegan was specifically coined to separate it from vegetarianism and to carry with it an ethical standpoint. Hence the comments about lifestyle. Otherwise, the term plant-based diet tends to be used.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yes I am not vegan. It would be impossible as I am on a med made with mouse proteins that has saved my life and the only reason I haven't had my large and part of my small intestine removed. Also my body can handle only bananas, apple sauce, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pureed cooked carrots and squash for fruits and vegetables. Also can't eat nuts, seeds and legumes and am low residue, low fibre so yeah basically I'd be living on white bread, white pasta, white rice and my few safe veggies and fruit so not possible.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

Why are you directing your comment to vegans? I think the more "negative" comments are coming from non-vegans. At least, I'm pretty sure they're non-vegans, could be wrong. You read enough vegan threads, and you'll see that most of the comments come from non-vegans.

And, technically, the term vegan was specifically coined to separate it from vegetarianism and to carry with it an ethical standpoint. Hence the comments about lifestyle. Otherwise, the term plant-based diet tends to be used.

We are phasing out foods with palm oil because my daughter, for being only 8 years old, did quite a bit of research on it and what damage it does to animal habitats. She got to the point where she began refusing to eat things with palm oil, and it's in everydamnthing. I can't turn down a well researched ethical stance. If she didn't like cheese so much, I'd imagine she'd one day be vegan. :laugh:
  • veganbaum
    Options

We are phasing out foods with palm oil because my daughter, for being only 8 years old, did quite a bit of research on it and what damage it does to animal habitats. She got to the point where she began refusing to eat things with palm oil, and it's in everydamnthing. I can't turn down a well researched ethical stance. If she didn't like cheese so much, I'd imagine she'd one day be vegan. :laugh:

That's amazing that at 8 years old she took it upon herself to do that. Yes, the destruction that palm oil harvesting causes is appalling. It seems that over the past few years it HAS been added to everything. A friend of mine has started making her own vegan butter, since the commercial brands have palm oil. I don't love butter enough to do that.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Yes I am not vegan. It would be impossible as I am on a med made with mouse proteins that has saved my life and the only reason I haven't had my large and part of my small intestine removed. Also my body can handle only bananas, apple sauce, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pureed cooked carrots and squash for fruits and vegetables. Also can't eat nuts, seeds and legumes and am low residue, low fibre so yeah basically I'd be living on white bread, white pasta, white rice and my few safe veggies and fruit so not possible.

I don't think your posts were "negative" (though they seem a bit defensive). So, you weren't really a poster I was referring to when responding to the PP and her comment to the "vegans."
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Good for her! The palm oil trade it terrible :(
  • PrizePopple
    Options

That's amazing that at 8 years old she took it upon herself to do that. Yes, the destruction that palm oil harvesting causes is appalling. It seems that over the past few years it HAS been added to everything. A friend of mine has started making her own vegan butter, since the commercial brands have palm oil. I don't love butter enough to do that.

Don't ever mention sea otters or river otters in front of her, or she will go on quite the emotional rant about what humans have done to them. She's currently debating on what endangered animal to "adopt" next.

I just saw that my Milano cookies have palm oil, as does the Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon I used in our dinner. *sigh*
  • veganbaum
    Options

Don't ever mention sea otters or river otters in front of her, or she will go on quite the emotional rant about what humans have done to them. She's currently debating on what endangered animal to "adopt" next.

I just saw that my Milano cookies have palm oil, as does the Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon I used in our dinner. *sigh*

Good for her. And it's nice you support her.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

The dolphins! Oh, the dolphins.

And I'm not making fun. I'm a bleeding heart and sometimes I'm surprised I'm not vegan.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

Good for her. And it's nice you support her.

Her first solo animal adoption was matched price-wise by my husband. <3

kkenseth wrote: »

The dolphins! Oh, the dolphins.

And I'm not making fun. I'm a bleeding heart and sometimes I'm surprised I'm not vegan.

I think she's leaning towards whales a bit after looking into whaling practices, but the whole tuna and dolphin net fishing thing sketches her out hard, so it might not take much to convince her to adopt dolphins. :P
  • alyurete
    alyurete Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Any reduction in animal products is beneficial :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So uh, that soap you like to make ... it's going to be vegan as well, right? And your crocheting is going to be strictly acrylic yarn?
    Lol um ok. I only ever made glycerin soap, and I use acrylic yarn! How did you know? Are you following me? Lol I couldn't afford the uh wool anyways and never used it. But thanks.