I personally prefer the definitions of exercise intensity as the following:
    Light exercise: you can easily hold a conversation during it
    moderate: it's possible but hard to talk while doing
    intense: if I tried talking right now I'd literally die
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting my conversions confused here but 2 miles, 7 days a week should easily be more than those guidelines.

The guidlines would be about that as long as it was on top of sedentary, yes, since moderately active is the guideline and is roughly the equivelant 7500 steps per day at a minimum. Unfortuntely, the guidelines have been watered down over the years. Here is a link to the current recommendations by the ACSM for weight loss/maintenance: https://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/acsm-in-the-news/2011/08/01/acsm-position-stand-on-physical-activity-and-weight-loss-now-available

ETA: AHA and ACSM are in agreement and here is the AHA recommendations: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp you can see that they recommend more exercise for cardio-vascular health.

You can find a definition of intensity levels from the cdc here: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/pdf/PA_Intensity_table_2_1.pdf

Jogging is concidered vigorous by the CDC?

Yes, pretty sad. They are defining exercise levels to meet to the terrible condition many in the US are in.

"Jogging" is a word most runners don't like to use because it reminds them of the 70's where people got dressed up in polyester track suits with towels around their neck and basically ran at a walking pace. I think that's a tad overblown but a slow run is basically jogging under another name.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I personally prefer the definitions of exercise intensity as the following:
    Light exercise: you can easily hold a conversation during it
    moderate: it's possible but hard to talk while doing
    intense: if I tried talking right now I'd literally die

Yeah, the percieved scale is roughly equivelant to 70%+ for intense and about 40-60% for moderate so it works.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/a-weight-loss-manifesto?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__

"No reputable doctor or metabolism expert would ever suggest that exercise alone can stop obesity. It must be paired with a simple, healthful diet that focuses on a reduction of low-hanging calories—the high-fat and high-sugar ones. It's just that exercise has been undervalued, and diet overexposed. Consider diet's dismal track record. Why are we so intent on repeating past failures?"

CI<CO that's the key for weight loss but exercise grants a lot more benefits than simply losing weight, in fact, for overall health exercise will give more than diet for quality of life but the biggest reason people exercise is for vanity i.e. to look better. That's a shame but people are far more motivated by looks than long term health but that's just the way we are.

Exercise to look better is the main reason people exercise? Of all the people I have exercised with that seems to be more of an added perk than a main reason. They exercise to feel better, for overall health, to be able to compete in sports, keep up with their kids/grandkids, or even for the endorphin rush. I am sure there are some people that exercise to look better, but I don't know any of them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bono6612 wrote: »
    cico.

weight is gained or lost in the kitchen

fitness happens in the gym

to massively oversimplify it.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!

not sure who is burning 1500 calories off on one run…...

You can get there if your run is in the 15 mile range.

I severely doubt it! it might just be true for a very overweight, very big guy doing this uphill but it's not going to happen for the average woman. Over 5km I burn about 170kcal, 10k 320, 20 kilometers 640 maybe? thus 15 miles would be 800, that's half of what you mention.

I'm curious how are you measuring that and how much do you weigh, and are you running or walking? Even a person at only 150 would be burning over 300 net calories on a 5K run and about 400 to 450 on a treadmill calorie meter -- I know that from experience as it was about 425 when I was 151. At 100 lbs you would still have a net burn of 65 calories per mile or 200 for a 5k and that's net calories, you would get more from a calulator or treadmill meter. This calculator here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/94.shtml will put you at 245 per 5K at 100 pounds.

170 seems very low so you might want to recalculate and see what you come up with.

ETA oh and for an average woman it would be more like 300 to 400 calories per 5k.

I was curious about this so I logged a 5k (slightly more) on my Fitbit. I'm 153 today.

xkawutvq0o2w.png
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Sorry, I can't see your screen shot, can you give me the run down in text?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/a-weight-loss-manifesto?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__

"No reputable doctor or metabolism expert would ever suggest that exercise alone can stop obesity. It must be paired with a simple, healthful diet that focuses on a reduction of low-hanging calories—the high-fat and high-sugar ones. It's just that exercise has been undervalued, and diet overexposed. Consider diet's dismal track record. Why are we so intent on repeating past failures?"

CI<CO that's the key for weight loss but exercise grants a lot more benefits than simply losing weight, in fact, for overall health exercise will give more than diet for quality of life but the biggest reason people exercise is for vanity i.e. to look better. That's a shame but people are far more motivated by looks than long term health but that's just the way we are.

Exercise to look better is the main reason people exercise? Of all the people I have exercised with that seems to be more of an added perk than a main reason. They exercise to feel better, for overall health, to be able to compete in sports, keep up with their kids/grandkids, or even for the endorphin rush. I am sure there are some people that exercise to look better, but I don't know any of them.

I meant to say one of the biggest, and yes, it certainly is one big reason as the asthetics culture is huge even if, as for me, it's just a fringe benefit those who exercise regularly are the most satisfied with their appearance. As for endorphin rush, I've never had it and I don't know any who have actually claimed to have had it either so I'm not even sure it exists as advertised. Perhaps there is something to it if you run for a long time, kinda of like hitting your head against the wall and stopping. ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

34 minutes, 3.2 miles, 326 calories
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    100% calorie deficit for weight loss
    100% exercise for body comp and overall health…

not necessary to do both

100% calorie deficit can be achieved by exercise!

not if you then go out and over eat

Isn't that obvious? If you overeat you are no longer in a deficit. I was just pointing out that one can achieve a calorie deficit by exercising.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

34 minutes, 3.2 miles, 326 calories

Thanks, it looks like the fitbit is more accurate than the treadmill meter I used, which is pretty much my experience. Although, it would likely be a little higher for me based on sex.