Restaurants

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Many of us use our best guesses when eating out and then log that.

One meal isn't going to significantly set you back.

Depends how often that one meal comes up. I can maybe slip in once a week total until I start to rapidly gain and that's eating the most boring food on the menu. Go out of town for a weekend and have a beer? Forget about it! Progress is torpedoed!

OP indicates that she has prepared her meals at home for the last two weeks. Context is really key in responding to what people post here.
  • Many of us use our best guesses when eating out and then log that.

Depends how often that one meal comes up. I can maybe slip in once a week total until I start to rapidly gain and that's eating the most boring food on the menu. Go out of town for a weekend and have a beer? Forget about it! Progress is torpedoed!

OP indicates that she has prepared her meals at home for the last two weeks. Context is really key in responding to what people post here.

I just like to present the flip side of all the feel-good-isms. I used to be super excited about IIFYM, estimating eating out, etc but eventually I got hit in the face with reality. Eating out is near impossible now anywhere I actually want to go. Sushi? Nope. Chinese food? Nope. Mexican food? Nope. Chicken and salmon is pretty much all I'm allowed to exist on.
  • janejellyroll

I just like to present the flip side of all the feel-good-isms. I used to be super excited about IIFYM, estimating eating out, etc but eventually I got hit in the face with reality. Eating out is near impossible now anywhere I actually want to go. Sushi? Nope. Chinese food? Nope. Mexican food? Nope. Chicken and salmon is pretty much all I'm allowed to exist on.

Well, it seems you've decided to take this poster's question as an invitation to expel some of the bitterness inside. Now maybe we can get back on topic to *her* question?

You know, the person who has prepared her meals at home for the last two weeks and helpfully provided that information in her OP so that we wouldn't have to guess how often she has been eating out?

I would share with you that eating sushi, Chinese food, Mexican food, and beer is possible in a calorie deficit, but I think I remember how this goes. You think anyone who eats more than you is lying about what they're eating, right?
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2016

Well, it seems you've decided to take this poster's question as an invitation to expel some of the bitterness inside. Now maybe we can get back on topic to *her* question?

You know, the person who has prepared her meals at home for the last two weeks and helpfully provided that information in her OP so that we wouldn't have to guess how often she has been eating out?

I would share with you that eating sushi, Chinese food, Mexican food, and beer is possible in a calorie deficit, but I think I remember how this goes. You think anyone who eats more than you is lying about what they're eating, right?

Probably. If I don't see results on my bare bones intake I can't imagine how someone else is seeing results eating way more. It defies logic. And if it is possible say how. And say why I'm not. This site is supposed to be for helping people.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Depends... how closely does your husband pay attention to what you're doing?

(disclaimer: some people are going to throw rotten tomatoes at this, but if you need counter tactics against someone trying to "prove you wrong," this WORKS.)

First off, while husband is watching TV, in the shower, or otherwise distracted, you could eat a big pile of low cal vegetables like green beans, and a boiled egg for protein, before going out so your stomach isn't growling and driving you mad. Then, ok, yr already mostly full. So then act normal or whatever he thinks is normal, casually order some random thing... not like the worst ever (alfredo etc) but just some average thing, and since yr gonna be mostly full already, do lots of talking but just pick at the whatever, eat some tiny bites and mash it around on your plate a lot and he won't know the difference. If he remarks how much is left on your plate just say "oh I'm stuffed; I'll get a take home box" and box it up. Then of course you leave that fattening box in the fridge a day or two then throw it out. He'll think you ate it.

Yup, tomatoes (though I'll throw tasty cherry tomatoes, not rotten ones: I'm a fairly nice person.).

You're giving good weight loss advice, but (IMO) really crummy marital counseling. If one's spouse is sabotaging for real, there's a problem. Deceptive nonsense compounds the problem.

The advice others are giving - to enjoy the occasional evening out, and perhaps even eat a bit more than usual (up to or even a bit beyond maintenance calories) as long as it's infrequent - is also good weight loss advice, and not such bad marital advice, either.

OP, I also hope your spouse understands that improving your health will be a net positive for your family in the long run, and can be encouraged to support you in your goals.

It will absolutely not derail you to estimate your calories for one meal. It's a healthy-eating skill that's good to have in your toolkit, not just for restaurants, but also potlucks, dinner at other people's houses, etc. You don't want to skip those forever, right? I usually just look in the database & pick one of the entries on the higher-calorie side so if it's wrong I'm more likely to be over-estimating than under-estimating.

Even if you go over your calorie goal by (gasp!) a thousand calories, it's probably only a couple days delay in progress toward your ultimate goal (though you may see some water weight on the scale that makes the consequences look worse temporarily).

Deep breath . . . enjoy yourself!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Sorry, but: a salad with only vinegar on it? Do people really eat salads that way? :o

I like it that way better than with most dressings, honestly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    When I first started I would estimate (high) based on the ingredients in my restaurant meals and then add a couple tablespoons of olive oil or butter, since you have to assume there are some hidden calories. I'd err toward simpler foods and found that focusing on portions when at home helped me have a good idea of how much meat I was eating and so on. I'm sure I was off, but it didn't seem to affect my losses, and I'd go out at least once per week.

Now I'm lazier so tend to quick add a reasonable total based on what I ate. It gets easier as you have more experience.
  • mystery2decor
    mystery2decor Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2016
    I went to Denny's for our date night. I had decided not to log that meal. However, while sitting there (hubby went to bathroom) I looked at the app and most of Denny's meals were there. So, you might want to check with MFP, perhaps someone has already been there and the food is already in the data base. You never know.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016

Probably. If I don't see results on my bare bones intake I can't imagine how someone else is seeing results eating way more. It defies logic. And if it is possible say how. And say why I'm not. This site is supposed to be for helping people.

I think people have offered you suggestions. And you called them "nuts."

Good luck.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Enjoying one meal out reasonably is not going to set you back. Don't stress it. Log as best you can and move on. Enjoy your night. you only live once
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    OP as others have said, it is entirely possible to continue eating at restaurants and not set back the progress you are making. How often you do it and what method you choose to employ is up to you. There have been good tips here, but there are also quite a few in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat/p1

For what it's worth, I eat out at least one lunch/week for work - usually at a place like Panera, Qdoba, or a wrap place. I eat probably one sit down meal out with my family/week - mexican or Italian food. About once a month I have a night out with friends or a date night with my husband. It didn't stop me from losing weight and am now successfully maintaining.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Ideas:
    Find a similar meal at a chain restaurant and log that if you're going to an independent restaurant.
    Bank some calories starting a few days before or forgo eating as many exercise calories as you normally would until your night out if you want to order a higher cal meal.
    Order an appetizer as your entree. Add your light green salad or broth-based soup to make it more filling. (Steamed and seasoned peel & eat shrimp and a salad is one of my favorites.)

There are quite a few guides online to help you do mental comparisons to estimate your portions - palm of your hand or a deck of cards for 3-4oz of chicken, etc. Some people even get collapsible measuring cups to help with appropriate portion sizes and carry them in their bag.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Once again...this thread is not about you
  • stachesquatch
    stachesquatch Posts: 18 Member
    I eat out for most meals. I have mostly eaten out since graduating and going to work behind a desk for entirely too many hours a day. My schedule only allows for a couple dinners at home a week and it has been that way for years. Almost never get home before ten at night and I have to be out the door by 7 am the next morning. I've also lost 130lb. So you can lose weight and eat out. In fact, you can eat out often and lose a lot. Get rid of the idea that eating out is doom for diets. It simply isn't. There are tricks to it though. (some of this will likely repeat what others have said)

These are my rules:

*Look at the menu ahead of time.
    I know my restaurants fairly well, and they tend to know me too, so it's a little easier because I know the menus. But you can go online and look at what most places have. Chains tend to have nutrition facts. Pick something tasty that is within your calories for the day so you know what to order before you even go in. If the nutrition facts aren't available, no big deal! Most places have something fairly standard on the menu. A chicken sandwich, or grilled chicken, or a burger, or grilled salmon... Almost every restaurant has a grilled/baked/sauteed protein and veggie option. Whatever it is, just log the best most equivalent thing that you can find in myfitnesspal. It won't be exact, but it will be close enough most of the time.

*Log ahead of time.
    I like to log my meal in advance. It is just easier to stay on track that way. Half the time I don't want to hassle with changing my entry so, even though the 700+ calorie bacon burger with the 300+ calorie fries look good, I've already logged the turkey sandwich and caesar salad combo so... I'll just order what I logged. Plus it gets me psychologically ramped up for that turkey and salad. I logged it, I've been thinking about that lunch, and so that is what I'm hungry for.

*Adjust other meals to leave room for a meal out.
    I like to hover around 1800-1900 calories in a day. I expect to go through 850cal eating out at lunch and again at dinner. So I have a yogurt cup for breakfast. If I know that I have a big meal coming up, like a client lunch or some kind of dinner, I'll adjust one meal in favor of another. Sometimes I just want something so I adjust other parts of the same meal. I wanted the bacon mac n cheese for lunch today. So I logged what I know I'll have for dinner into mfp, then I logged the bacon mac n cheese from one of my favorite lunch spots, then I looked up items on their menu to find something to fit the rest of my lunch calories. It ended up being pimento bacon mac n cheese + a half shrimp po'boy sandwich. 880 calories total. I know it's not super healthy, but I made it fit my calories and I wanted it! You have the advantage of knowing when you're going out and (possibly?) where you're going, so plan a lighter breakfast and lunch for saturday. Perhaps plan a little extra exercise.

*Work with the waitstaff.
    Don't know how big the chicken really is? Ask your waiter/waitress. If it is counter service, ask at the counter, "hey how big is that?" The dinner special comes with two sides, but you only have enough calories for the entree and one side? "I want this entree and can you do me a huge favor and only bring one side please? I'm trying to cut back on what I eat." I find they usually resist at first, but be all smiles and be clear that you only want one side, and thank them for being awesome when they agree to only give you one side and they'll work with you in the future. If they insist on bringing two sides, don't make an issue of it, pick the grossest second side you can find on the menu. :smiley: I find mushrooms to be entirely inedible, so I feel nooooo temptation to eat any extras with mushrooms. Fungal spawn of the underworld... :p Oh! If I'm out drinking with the guys, I'll do things like ask for the fries to be brought on a separate plate. Then my fries go to the middle of the table for everyone else to share. The waitstaff is there to work with you, so work with them.

*Order smaller, don't order more boring
    I don't like boring food. I don't want to eat boiled chicken breast and broccoli for the rest of my life. So I order smaller portions of my favorite foods. It takes time but one does get used to the smaller portions. It is not weird at all to ask for less than what they offer. Most waitresses in the area know I'm the guy that is going to ask for half of this and half of that. As long as you're cool about it, they're cool. I will admit I have changed up some of what I eat. You mention ice cream. I haven't had ice cream in a long time. I switched out ice cream for frozen yogurt or sorbet. Those tend to be lower calorie and frankly are every bit as good, well, I find mango sorbet to be way better than any ice cream I've ever had, but I have always loved mangos. Generally though I'm not eliminating anything from my diet. I'm honing my tastes and reducing my volume of intake.

*Exile the offending food.
    There will be times when you can't get less of something. I have been to dozens of mexican restaurants. I used to ask for the fajitas, (skirt steak or chicken, cooked in a skillet on a bed of bell peppers -or cactus- and onion, served with a side of avocado!) but "please don't bring any rice or beans, I don't want them, I won't eat them, don't even bring them" They always bring them... every time... at every mexican/tex-mex restraurant... In this case it is easier to just scrape them onto one of the small plates you'll get with fajitas and shove them off into exile on the far end of the table. Or, maybe you order your food and find that the portion is way bigger than what you would have made at home. No worries! Cut it down to the size you would have made at home, take a couple of bites the 'suddenly' realize "oh gosh this is going to be too much for me to eat all at once, may I get a to-go box please?" banish the extra into the to-go box and eat the stuff you cut into your normal size portion. Out of sight out of mind. You can weigh the remainder when you get home and decide how to handle it from there.

*Don't freak out if you go over your count
    It happens. This isn't about being perfect, this is about staying with it for the long haul. Going over one time doesn't mean your diet is over. It just means you have to get back on the wagon at the next meal. That's all. When I follow these rules, the worst I'll typically go over is by a couple hundred calories, which I can walk or dance off fairly easily, or compensate for over the week.

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    [

Depends how often that one meal comes up. I can maybe slip in once a week total until I start to rapidly gain and that's eating the most boring food on the menu. Go out of town for a weekend and have a beer? Forget about it! Progress is torpedoed

Never had a taco salad? Chicken enchillada? I eat mexican food all the time, including having some occasional nachos, and I lost 110lbs last year.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I eat out for most meals. I have mostly eaten out since graduating and going to work behind a desk for entirely too many hours a day. My schedule only allows for a couple dinners at home a week and it has been that way for years. Almost never get home before ten at night and I have to be out the door by 7 am the next morning. I've also lost 130lb. So you can lose weight and eat out. In fact, you can eat out often and lose a lot. Get rid of the idea that eating out is doom for diets. It simply isn't. There are tricks to it though. (some of this will likely repeat what others have said)

These are my rules:

*Look at the menu ahead of time.
    I know my restaurants fairly well, and they tend to know me too, so it's a little easier because I know the menus. But you can go online and look at what most places have. Chains tend to have nutrition facts. Pick something tasty that is within your calories for the day so you know what to order before you even go in. If the nutrition facts aren't available, no big deal! Most places have something fairly standard on the menu. A chicken sandwich, or grilled chicken, or a burger, or grilled salmon... Almost every restaurant has a grilled/baked/sauteed protein and veggie option. Whatever it is, just log the best most equivalent thing that you can find in myfitnesspal. It won't be exact, but it will be close enough most of the time.

*Log ahead of time.
    I like to log my meal in advance. It is just easier to stay on track that way. Half the time I don't want to hassle with changing my entry so, even though the 700+ calorie bacon burger with the 300+ calorie fries look good, I've already logged the turkey sandwich and caesar salad combo so... I'll just order what I logged. Plus it gets me psychologically ramped up for that turkey and salad. I logged it, I've been thinking about that lunch, and so that is what I'm hungry for.

*Adjust other meals to leave room for a meal out.
    I like to hover around 1800-1900 calories in a day. I expect to go through 850cal eating out at lunch and again at dinner. So I have a yogurt cup for breakfast. If I know that I have a big meal coming up, like a client lunch or some kind of dinner, I'll adjust one meal in favor of another. Sometimes I just want something so I adjust other parts of the same meal. I wanted the bacon mac n cheese for lunch today. So I logged what I know I'll have for dinner into mfp, then I logged the bacon mac n cheese from one of my favorite lunch spots, then I looked up items on their menu to find something to fit the rest of my lunch calories. It ended up being pimento bacon mac n cheese + a half shrimp po'boy sandwich. 880 calories total. I know it's not super healthy, but I made it fit my calories and I wanted it! You have the advantage of knowing when you're going out and (possibly?) where you're going, so plan a lighter breakfast and lunch for saturday. Perhaps plan a little extra exercise.

*Work with the waitstaff.
    Don't know how big the chicken really is? Ask your waiter/waitress. If it is counter service, ask at the counter, "hey how big is that?" The dinner special comes with two sides, but you only have enough calories for the entree and one side? "I want this entree and can you do me a huge favor and only bring one side please? I'm trying to cut back on what I eat." I find they usually resist at first, but be all smiles and be clear that you only want one side, and thank them for being awesome when they agree to only give you one side and they'll work with you in the future. If they insist on bringing two sides, don't make an issue of it, pick the grossest second side you can find on the menu. :smiley: I find mushrooms to be entirely inedible, so I feel nooooo temptation to eat any extras with mushrooms. Fungal spawn of the underworld... :p Oh! If I'm out drinking with the guys, I'll do things like ask for the fries to be brought on a separate plate. Then my fries go to the middle of the table for everyone else to share. The waitstaff is there to work with you, so work with them.

*Order smaller, don't order more boring
    I don't like boring food. I don't want to eat boiled chicken breast and broccoli for the rest of my life. So I order smaller portions of my favorite foods. It takes time but one does get used to the smaller portions. It is not weird at all to ask for less than what they offer. Most waitresses in the area know I'm the guy that is going to ask for half of this and half of that. As long as you're cool about it, they're cool. I will admit I have changed up some of what I eat. You mention ice cream. I haven't had ice cream in a long time. I switched out ice cream for frozen yogurt or sorbet. Those tend to be lower calorie and frankly are every bit as good, well, I find mango sorbet to be way better than any ice cream I've ever had, but I have always loved mangos. Generally though I'm not eliminating anything from my diet. I'm honing my tastes and reducing my volume of intake.

*Exile the offending food.
    There will be times when you can't get less of something. I have been to dozens of mexican restaurants. I used to ask for the fajitas, (skirt steak or chicken, cooked in a skillet on a bed of bell peppers -or cactus- and onion, served with a side of avocado!) but "please don't bring any rice or beans, I don't want them, I won't eat them, don't even bring them" They always bring them... every time... at every mexican/tex-mex restraurant... In this case it is easier to just scrape them onto one of the small plates you'll get with fajitas and shove them off into exile on the far end of the table. Or, maybe you order your food and find that the portion is way bigger than what you would have made at home. No worries! Cut it down to the size you would have made at home, take a couple of bites the 'suddenly' realize "oh gosh this is going to be too much for me to eat all at once, may I get a to-go box please?" banish the extra into the to-go box and eat the stuff you cut into your normal size portion. Out of sight out of mind. You can weigh the remainder when you get home and decide how to handle it from there.

*Don't freak out if you go over your count
    It happens. This isn't about being perfect, this is about staying with it for the long haul. Going over one time doesn't mean your diet is over. It just means you have to get back on the wagon at the next meal. That's all. When I follow these rules, the worst I'll typically go over is by a couple hundred calories, which I can walk or dance off fairly easily, or compensate for over the week.

Just wanted to say this is great stuff - I love when people demonstrate that it is possible to work the weight loss into your lifestyle, and not the other way around.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    There is NOTHING wrong with eating out. Many restaurants have their nutrition available. I know when we go out with work friends we just look at the menu beforehand to plan out what we'll order. Go enjoy yourself.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited February 2016
    dorener wrote: »
    Now that I have been logging every last bite and preparing everything at home for 2 weeks and seeing results, I don't want to screw up. My husband made a comment about me "not enjoying anything" the other day and I emphasized that I am actually enjoying life so much more now and eating cake and ice cream does not equal enjoyment for everyone. So..

Eat a little less earlier in the day and enjoy yourself. Unless you think you can eat 3500 calories over your maintenance level, you won't even gain a true pound. (Yeah you'll gain some water weight temporarily. Ignore it an get back on track.) After eating at a deficit for months Im getting to the point of being really uncomfortable if I eat too much. I know it if I've had 800+ calories worth of food in one sitting. At that point it's a choice to keep eating or not.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    I coukd have written this EXACTLY!!! I've been doing this logging since Jan 9. So almost a month now. My husband says I'm no fun now. Really??? When was food my personally? Of course I enjoy going out to dinner. But my husband and I were going out all the time and eating out is not calorie friendly. He wants Togo to lunch. Dinner etc. well I finally agreed to go once in a while. So we went out the other night and I immediately asked the server for a take home box. It was only Longhorns. So I didn't feel silly doing so. If we were at a 5 star I may not have however. It worked I ordered salad dressing on the side and grilled shrimp and put half in the box. While my husband ate his steak. Potato etc. we have reservations on Valentine's and I plan to have s nice meal I'll log what I can to the best degree. Until I reach my goal I lower the portions of I go out. It will not affect my weight loss too much. I make sure I exercise everyday also. You should live your life yes. But I totally get where you are coming from. Other people sabotaging diet. You'll be fine as long as you don't go overboard. Do it for you
  • Susiepoop345
    Susiepoop345 Posts: 43 Member
    I use my Palm method for meats being roughly 4 oz if it fits in your palm.