The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I will be running again THIS month!

Love the determination, but keep listening to the nice PT person. They are there for you!
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Just missed my goal by one long run in January, so fired up to make my new, improved February goal of 50 miles.
  • 9voice9
    Options
    I'm not a good model for anyone (including myself!), but if you want, I'm on Garmin Connect too, with the same screen name. And I'll be happy to friend most anyone on MFP, so....
  • 9voice9
    Options
    87u8alechq4n.jpeg

I'm a terrible person, but I wanted to post what might be the ONLY time I'm ahead of @Stoshew71 on a leaderboard... :wink:
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp: In your excellent (and appreciated) reply to my question about speed work, you mentioned "I found a scientific coach last year". How did you look for that coach? Online resource, word of mouth, happy accident, or what?

Also appreciated the advice from you and from @Stoshew71 about easy runs and avoiding injury. I do find that too many long runs in a row, even at an easy pace, can make little aches and pains bigger in a hurry, so I work in days off as needed.
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a total newbie, but I'm going to try to hang with you guys this month! I walked/jogged 61 miles in January, so I'm trying for 70 miles in February!
    3 down - 67 miles to go!

My Garmin un is xelazitro ☺
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Alex729 welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start!

1---6.10. I think my shot is wearing off. Really getting to the point that I'm looking forward to seeing what surgery can do. :pensive:

6.10/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  106.14/2016
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @9voice9, HA! I did the same thing the *one* time I was ahead of Stan.
    @Alex729, Welcome! We love total newbies here because...after all...we all were total newbies at some point.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    87u8alechq4n.jpeg

I'm a terrible person, but I wanted to post what might be the ONLY time I'm ahead of @Stoshew71 on a leaderboard... :wink:

Nah, he's a good sport. :wink: its such a rare moment to be ahead of some of these folks.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I am in my mid 40's, so I like to think that i am still young.

Amen to that! Also in my mid 40's and, although I have to be smarter about it these days, I still like to think I can find a little more speed in my old(er) age. #haventpeakedyet

I'm in my mid 40's also... But I feel 70.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've been on and off running for about a year, really trying to focus on endurance. Based on a silly facebook post I made NYE, my friends have challenged me to 75 miles by March 31st. Since I only did 12 in January, my goal for February is 30 miles.

Cold and rainy here, but I got 1 mile in. My knees have been hurting so I've been doing 1 mile the past few days to work up to more after a week.

Also, I have an 80s themed 5k in April, so I want to be able to run the whole thing. My team is going as 80s female rock stars. Im going as either Joan Jett or Siouxsie (which may mean dyeing my hair black again, reliving my goth heyday!).

Anyway, thanks for the motivation and accountability!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Back from PT and he says roughly two weeks to start up a run/walk program is what he's thinking right now. From the way I presented last Thursday to today, he called it a best case scenario and has removed tendinopathy as a possibility. The improvement was truly that remarkable. I have a serious strength imbalance between my left and right glute that needs to be addressed. He added a few more exercises to my routine so hopefully when I see him on Thursday the improvements will have continued. All to say...I can see the light! I will be running again THIS month!

Woohoo
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Yup, started at 55 and got faster. Then there were several guys in the 55-59 age group who were happier about my 60th birthday than I was. :) And I was pretty happy, because it saved me 2 days of stress in Boston registration week.

@vandinem - Finding my coach was a happy accident from my point of view, and good marketing from the club's point of view. The Genesee Valley Harriers first caught my attention at the 2015 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green, where most of the field wears St. Patrick's Day themed green, but most of the runners ahead of me were wearing maroon and white. Then they had a booth at the 2015 Lilac 10K, and gave me a coupon for 3 free training sessions. (It turned out the coupon was a gimmick, they welcome visitors any time.) I got some free advice on how to run the Buffalo Marathon, and along about mile 14-16 I ran with a guy who remembered me from visiting practice and reminded me that Coach would say to run tangents in Delaware Park. Near the end of the race, I easily passed 3 runners at Niagara Square when I was almost out of gas . . . by running a good tangent when they didn't. The reminder helped. By the time I got to my third visit at practice, I figured I'd got enough free advice to be worth the annual dues. At that point, I had no clue how valuable the coaching would be. I've paid my second year of membership dues, and I've already got more than my money's worth with 11 months left in the year.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides

February total to date – 6.08

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – The training assignment was easy + 4 strides. My best guess is that I needed about 6 miles today, and I managed a route to start the strides at about five and a half miles. Roads were clear, temperature was falling from the upper 30s to the mid 30s during the run; just amazingly mild weather for February 1, and no snow!

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Garmin watchband is glued back together.. Apparently the glue will last a long time.. hmm Will have to wait and see! Otherwise I'll have to order a replacement band, which is pretty affordable.. but the wait for it in the post will be a killer lol

Meanwhile... I worked out how to set up a goal on Garmin Connect! :smiley:

3fo93ucgza21.jpg
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    2.1.16 - 7 m. TM. Rolling Hills Level 2. 9:09 pace.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I skimmed the thread and sent add requests on Garmin Connect. Im new to the thread, but have been running for awhile. You can also add me - Garmin Name is JohnONE29
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm in my mid 40's also... But I feel 70.
    3 years ago I literally felt half my age, then I started feeling 60. Now I'm working on just feeling my age, that would be awesome! lol!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks, I’m learning lots from everyone here, and that most of the time, it’s not a path of least resistance getting to our goals!

@7lenny7 Thanks for the encouragement!

@Virkati Great news!!
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought these puppies tonight.
    kgjd64fqrbx0.jpg

And logged the first miles of the year. First miles in a long while really.
    3 miles.

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February goal 80 miles

2/1 3.8: some of you may remember my story of adopting Lily the abandoned pup. She has done remarkably well.....most of the time, and now will even play chase/keep away with DH, of whom she was terrified for the first several months. Today she must have had some PTSD issues 'cause she fought me/the leash the whole way. Not only did I run today, but I got a GREAT upper body resistance workout!

Total 3.8

@7lenny7 are the women strong, the men goodlooking and the children above average in the Lake Wobegon run?
    @Virkati great news from the PT!

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png