WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Chin up. You’ve got to believe that there are brighter days ahead for you and Charlie. Have faith. ((Hugs))

Beth: Love your suggestion about losing the passive language. Call me on it if you see me using any.

Carol: Does massage help your hips? I had therapeutic massage today and could not believe the pain in my hips. I sit too much, and as I read somewhere, sitting is the new smoking.

Michele: Hope the call with Bryan goes well.

Heather: I am a frequent commuter in and out of Grand Central Terminal. Never get tired of the beauty and the unimaginable hustle and bustle of that place. I hope one day you’ll cross the US by rail. We have some spectacular routes here in Colorado.

Sylvia: A webinar is usually a slide presentation with live narration. Be sure to test your computer volume before it starts. Sometimes, you will be offered the opportunity to write in questions and comments in a chat box. Ask if the webinar is being recorded. Sometimes it’s good to go back and review the content.

Chris in MA: Hang in. We’re here for you.

DJ: Awesome news about your labs. I’m trying real hard not to be jealous of you heading off on a cruise.

Sue: Happy belated birthday.

My report card for January:
    January Goals:
    > Benchmark my average daily step count, and increase by 20%. C Had hoped to have my FitBit Charge operating, but vendor sent me the wrong size. I am working on getting it replaced.
    > Eat mindfully. B-
    > Start a gratitude journal. A (found a terrific app)
    > Reach out to 3 friends. A
    > Get mammogram, physical, haircut and eye exam scheduled. B. Got mammogram and eye exam done.

February Goals:
    > Practice Reiki every day
    > Eat mindfully
    > Reach out to 3 friends
    > Get physical scheduled
    > Get tax workbook started
    > Keep gratitude journal going
  • Withasmile12
    Withasmile12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first post, and I'm so happy to have found this thread. I've used MFP to log food off and on for a couple of years. When I've been consistent, I've lost. So consistency is the name of the game for me!

Feb. goals:
    Log daily.
    Remain below calorie limit.
    Remain below sodium limit.
    Lose 10 pounds by Feb. 29.

:)

• CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    DJ and Katla If you live near a gymnastics school, you might be able to get some private lessons in falling. How to fall safely is about the first thing that gymnasts have to learn. I don't know for sure but it is worth a try.

Joyce C. diff. is such nasty stuff and hard to get rid of. I hope that you are successful soon.

Sue Happy belated birthday. And best wishes for many more healthy and birthdays to come.

Gardengirl- Welcome. I am a fairly new addition here, also. What a gorgeous picture.

Carol in NC- I just got new glasses that have 3 progressive settings (near, computer and far) and Transitions, anti-glare. They are much larger lenses than my old glasses and make me look very studious. I find that I sit straighter and am not nearly as tired after writing on the computer.

Betty Thank you for posting the link to the very interesting article about calories.

Recently, I have been learning about "portion distortion". It is no wonder that most of the world is getting fat or obese. Serving sizes have ballooned out of control over the last 20 years. The NIH published some fun PowerPoint quizzes that illustrate this so well:http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/eat-right/portion-distortion.htm

My goal for February: Log everyday.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Went to senior bowling, then stopped at CVS to get one of Loki's medicines. Home to have dinner, then ceramics, then mahjongg.

Welcome everyone new!

Chris - ((((HUGS))))

Terri - sending good thoughts for Payne

Sue in WA - happy belated birthday!

Pat - it was in the high 60's here today. Actually, this evening I didn't even wear a coat, just pants and a long sleeved blouse

janetr - that's a great job that autocorrect is doing!

Sylvia - I don't think Chrysler is the only one who insists on black carpeting, my Mazda has black carpeting. Not easy to clean, either.

Michele in NC

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TerriRichard – Looks great. I started my declutter challenge; trying to get the Marie Kondo book from library. I think it might be in; just need to call and find out if it is the one I asked for.

Sue in WA – HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Everybody falls ‘off the wagon’; but, if the next day you tell yourself that ‘I’m going to move on; and, with my support team (50+ ladies) … I WILL encourage me to do it today. Just need to take it one day at a time. I love frozen blueberries as a snack. No added sugar.

Katla – Riding horses brings back good memories. HS friend’s father stabled horses; and, we got to ride them every Saturday to help him keep them exercised when he had to tend to other chores on their farm. Brings to mind that my ‘across the street BF’s family would keep the donkey in their fenced in back yard. She had a cousin that would come down during the Christmas break and we’d try to ‘exclude’ her (we were mean sometimes at that age – 6th, 7th, 8th grades) … and she came over to ride him. He was a stubborn old mule of a donkey. We led her around the yard on it. He would walk the perimeter of the fence, we’d have to make him walk around it. We led her around once or twice and then we said, ‘ok, you can do this by yourself. He’d park his body under a particular shrub/tree and we he did that we ran off and left her; laid back on her back on the donkey’s back and she could not get him to move. BF’s Dad would come home at lunch and he heard her screams. We both got a whipping for leaving her and also got restricted. That was in the 50’s when other parents would whip someone’s child if they got into trouble doing something. I will remember that forever! We still laugh about it. Of course, we got our ‘come up-ance’. Payback is HELL!

Pat – try increasing your water a little more and try to up your exercise time. Might kick you off that plateau. Good that you did not gain …

Gardengirl – You’ve come to the right place. Very supportive. I don’t think I could have done it on my own. In fact, I am sure of it.

Janetr – Love the ‘crunches to cupcakes’ ditty. I’m trying to remember to proofread before I hit the ‘post’ sign; but, at least I have an hour to edit it. Insert foot into mouth sometimes. Could kick myself for putting my mouth ‘in motion’ before my brain is ‘in gear’. In the English language so many word sound alike or are spelled only slightly different; but, brings a whole new meaning to the sentence with auto correct. I try to find it; but, sometimes I hit post anyway.

I’m going to try to get some ‘sleep tonight’ now that I am on an antibiotic. Gee, called my MD who keeps my bipolar meds tweaked; asked for his nurse by name. She is no longer there; last day was the Thursday after I was there on Monday. She did not say anything about no longer going to be there. I would have thought she'd mention that she was 'retiring'. I was trying to explain to a new ‘girl’ that I needed for the Rxs he had written to be ‘faxed’ to my mail order pharmacy. First days must have been a real learning experience. She was supposed to have given him the message including that I had UTI and was not sleeping. Neither she nor he returned the call. He is a professor at the Mercer University Medical School and only sees patients on Mondays and Thursday. I guess I will have to call the office again. I can’t wait 10 working days for the forms to be sent to me; have the turnaround time and another 10 working days for it to be shipped and get to me. He changed my dosage on one because of the weight I had lost. I’m sure she was thrown to the sharks. “Sink or swim.”

Do y'all remember your 'first' job; or actually the start of your 'career or start up a business'?

That’s the way it was when I started working for my attorney/boss. He was the associate partner. I was told that I would be working for him and the Investigator. But, actually I would be boss’s secretary. The 2 senior partners were there, too; all week preparing for a trial in Atlanta. I was told ‘do this now’ - here is the way we set up our files and it had better be where any of us/secretaries or our respective bosses could answer questions without missing a beat or ever having to look for something somewhere else. I had been offered a job that AM; and, told that firm that I had another job interview that day and I thought it was only fair to go to it before giving them my answer.

I called my Dad (also an attorney) about the interviews and he told me that ‘if’ I really wanted to learn the law; that if offered the 2nd job; I should take it. It also paid $100 more per week than any other law firm in town. Everybody in town knew that he could be a 'tyrant' about working for him. They called me the next day and told me that ‘if’ I wanted the job … I had it. I think I had the advantage because I had worked for my Dad most all my teenage years and after my 2nd son was born. All I needed to do was take the rest of the week to find a daycare center. Loved the excitement of the job. A week later they settled and received his first $1M fee; they threw a last minute party for the entire legal family. It was a SPREAD – Champagne and caviar -neither had I ever had (but once before) during my days in art school) and it really wasn't the 'real' stuff. Nobody else had ever won a fee that large in town. It was 40% of the award to the client. I got drunk on champagne. He also threw a private party at his home, too. He gave the other 2 secretaries a bonus; and, I was just drunk enough to have no shame; and, told him that I thought he needed to give me a bonus, too; because I spent 8 or more hours a day for a week on my feet at the copier; making packages for all the different attorneys involved on both sides.

They were both 6’ or taller and I had my arms around what I thought were their waists … actually I had my hands on both of their butts, rubbing them. Everybody was 'laughing' ... I just thought everybody as having a 'large time'. Senior bosses wife was sitting right behind us; throwing daggers with her eyes. My boss just stood over in the corner with the secretaries and laughed. The next day he called me into his office. Bad hang-over and he said they had decided that I had worked as hard as anybody and deserved the bonus I had asked for. He asked me if I wanted it then (check) or ‘if’ I wanted a weekly raise. I asked if I could 'think' about it; he knew I had a bad hangover. I then went back after lunch and told him I had made my decision and I wanted the raise. He looked at me and smiles and said, ‘good choice’. It ended up being another big raise, too. I was thrilled that he had told me that I was ‘a good smart cookie’ and they knew they would have me up and running in no time.

His secretary was a ‘b****’. The other secretary sort of helped run interference. Not long after that he decided that he would ‘fire’ everybody; but, me and my boss and the Investigator. I was then supposed to take on doing the books; I had absolutely no experience. I went back to my office and cried; then I typed out a resignation letter and handed it to my boss. He asked me ‘what’s this’; and I told him. He told me to close the doors and sit down. Said that it wasn’t unusual for his secretary to act like she was an attorney, too. She’d back-talk him all the time. He had just gotten very tired of it – and this was a reactionary move fired her for insubordination. She’d go home and sulk for a day or two and be back and he’d get over it. It wasn’t the first time and it would not be the last. I just needed to keep my head down and do my work. When he was in the office he’d open the doors; one to my office and one to his. Whenever his secretary ‘summoned’ me to her desk; I would walk about the other way.

He came I and told me that as long as the doors were open, I could walk through his office. He'd walk through my office (the dungeon) any time. He'd scare me to death. Like he was sneaking up on me. One day she was particularly on my case. I didn’t do a damn thing ‘right’. She wanted to show him ‘who was “boss” of the secretaries. Pecking order. I took her yelling at me – almost wet my pants from being called on the carpet by her in front of him. She had run off several new secretaries. When she felt like she had reprimanded me properly and long enough. He called me into his office. I just knew he was going to fire me.

He turned around and pulled out a file folder and handed the carbon copy of a one (1) sentence letter she had signed his name on it and sent out. He told me to read it. From the date on down to the /xx (meaning that someone else had actually signed it in his absence). I looked up at him and he called her in. He asked me ‘what was wrong with that letter’? I did not know if he really wanted me to tell him. “Go ahead, Lenora, tell us what you have found." I told him that there were 7 typos in it, including his name. She did not yell at me again (for a long time). By the time she felt safe enough to do so; I felt safe enough to challenge her. I told her that I was my boss’s secretary and he had the say-so as to whether or not I stayed or got fired (not her).

Have any of you ever typed on a ‘mag card’. It was about the first thing closest to a computer; but, with no screen. I could not grasp the concept because I am a ‘visual’ person. He ended up getting a RadioShack computer for the office; and sent the other partner’s secretary to a week-long school. His secretary had no use for learning a computer. The other secretary would teach me how to use it. One day he needed something that was on the computer and she did not know how to work it. I went right to it – she never knew the other secretary was teaching me how to use it. WOW! They really have improved over the years.

Lenora (still aching; but, tomorrow is another day …)!
  • CheriGee2
    CheriGee2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
    :)Cheri Gee, In the middle of the night, I had to push the dogs over because one of my feet kept falling out of bed and when I disturb the dogs, Bernie, the cat starts wandering around the bed and then thinks he should sleep on top of me.

Lordy, I didn't even see the cat. Well, good on you. We (DH and I) have two canine boys who share our full size bed. Many times we have very little room for us. I'm the one who will send the boys to the floor, but my soft-hearted DH says, "Cheri, just leave them alone, they're tired." How can you argue with that?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • CheriGee2
    Options
    IT's another Long one ... AHhhhh ... "Shoot-a-Monkey"

Eleanora and Gee – Welcome to this thread, y’all posted on January and Barbiecat gives us a ling to follow each end of the month. Make sure you go to it, bookmark if clicking on the outline of a star so it will turn yellow and then you will click on the gray star between a bell and a gear. You should see those posts that were made in January after you post. A lot of us will post a ‘smiley face’ or a ‘period’ and then, that should take you back to the next post after yours. Either way, I think it will go back to you last post … and the thread is actually ongoing, even though you do need to follow the post to make sure you are now posting on February 1, 2016. Very supported about just about anything, not just dieting and we are becoming a large thread; sometimes if you ‘miss a day’, you might find it a little overwhelming. I suggest that you not ‘think’ you HAVE to read all of them. Some of us do, some us just start where we left off. Usually if someone posts something in the ‘thread’ you will sort of have an idea what the story line is. Pip34’s husband had a really bad bicycle wreck and he is just now getting back to ‘riding’ and ‘walking’ … maybe a little running thrown in. We are like a big family. Welcome again.

Another thing that some of do is open up a word processing app and click them down to being side-by-side. I use “Microsoft Outlook 2013’s Word program.

<3<3 Thank you for the info on new February link. Was able to follow this and am here. I agree, you all do post a LOT, so I'll try to keep up as I really want to be a part of this group. I see everyone is setting goals for the month. That's a wonderful idea, and will have to give this some thought. I'll post my goals later. Thanks for the help! Cheri Gee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    DJ congratulations on being off diabetes meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CheriGee2
    Options
    It was a really busy day, my husband's 73rd birthday. He told me he was turning the numbers around and was now 37. Since I'm 70 y.o., that would make me a cougar, wouldn't it? Well since he'll be aging 10 years each year, he'll catch up with me real fast. Food wise did wonderful until it came time to order dessert. Baked whitefish and roasted veggies, as well as a large salad and small bowl of soup. Then dessert: an ice cream hot fudge sundae. Three scoops of ice cream, hot fudge, a cherry and whipped cream. I ate 2/3s of the ice cream, all of the hot fudge. Time to pay the piper and put this in the food diary, I almost fell over. It put me over my goals by a bunch. Next time I go out to eat, I'll prepare mentally and leave dessert alone. Now it's time for me to decide my February goals. Hope you all had a good day and be good to yourself. Cheri Gee
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Joyce – so glad to hear from you, you are in our hearts… Please take care – while none of us are your mom there are a whole group of virtual hugs headed your way!!!! It sounds like you need someone to sit both your and charlie’s docs down and say really? This is not working – find something else to get us back on our feet!!!

Mindy – it’s a day late but sending good thoughts!!!

Heather – I use my computer for work, so back ups are critical, and after some research I found Carbonite, it is a service that every time you are hooked up to the internet, it backs up all files on your computer. Once it is set up you never have to do anything – it works in the background and is great ! It cost $55 a year and so far in 3 years I have had to pull everything from the back up to a new or repaired compute a few times, and everytime they answered the phone (even in the middle of the night) and walked me through all I needed. I can not say enough good about them.

Sapphires4me- thanks, Levi is an English springer spaniel, a rescue, but came with papers and everything! I have never heard of French spaniels…

Chris – sending good thoughts

Cheri Gee – I think that the logging is doing it’s job when it helps you realize where the calories are and then you come up with a way to handle them – smaller portions, other food choices, avoidance, extra exercise… there are as many techniques as there are people, but understanding and finding a way that works is the long term solution.

Financial challenges – so a few years ago when I lost my job one of the “stop gap” things I did was send email to almost everyone on my email list – with a short paragraph telling that I had been laid off, and while I looked for work was willing to do anything to make a bit of money to pay my bills, I would babysit, dog walk, wait for the repair guy, weed, tutor, cook, anything legal… just give me a call or email, And please pass this email on to all your friends - And I did some crazy things – but for about 6 months I made all my bills and house payment doing a bunch of little things, it did mean keeping a very detailed calendar, but it worked. And a few of those things I still get called for, and if I can fit it in, I do them – a bit more spending money… I don’t know if it would work for anyone else but most folks respond to someone willing to do anything to help themselves; also I did the low income programs for electricity, telephone, looked into the food stamps (did not qualify).. but try everything!

So a busy day, Levi and I walk one of 2 routes in the morning both about 3 miles, but this morning it was cold (for us ) about 36 and he was not having any of this just 3 mile walking stuff he pulled and barked at me where we usually turn and we did just under 5 miles instead… Gardening at a clients for 3 hours and a ton of sewing… Trying to get ahead as Thursday is being spent with other things, and Friday has gotten crazy! So tomorrow is sewing sewing sewing and working on the cooking for super bowl. I agreed to cook dinner for 50, a baked penne pasta and homemade garlic bread – it is a catering gig – the guests bring a salad, dessert or appetizer, so I just have to do the main dish…

Kim from N. California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Quick post before I prepare myself for yoga. :)

Katla - my teacher is beyond wonderful. Apart from being lovely and kind to us old ladies she is funny and utterly dedicated. We do a bit of meditation work and some chanting of mantras and other things. She doesn't do it in a religious way, but more as a way of getting our minds to calm and focus. We have a couple of very Christian ladies in the group who would take exception to a religious overtone. I so appreciate her. <3

Sue in WA - I'm with Barbie. I can't imagine anyone cooking me a cake or a fattening breakfast. !!!!!!!!!!!!! If they did, I would measure an appropriate portion and just eat that. If it were a child I would eat a tiny bit and make lots of happy noises. :laugh: Most people know what a fanatic I am about my healthy lifestyle. In fact I find the opposite, in that they think I can't eat anything. In fact, because I do so much exercise, I have a healthy appetite.
    In life as well as diet I find that most problems are caused by not having good boundaries. As I've got older my boundaries have got stronger as I've worked on them. I used to be a mushy mess. :* Nowdays there are not a lot of things that I cave in to. I learnt a lot about firm boundaries from my DDIL , who is one of the clearest people I know. It certainly makes life a lot simpler and calmer.
    I know one or two others are working on their boundaries on this thread. I know Margaret is. <3 There are some wonderful books out there on the subject.
    As for your DH - my husband has published three books in The Winfreth Trilogy. He is now writing the fourth. :laugh: :ohwell: The second one is THE WIDE EMBRACE. The first one was set in our area, around Winchester, the second is set on the Thames around Reading.

Kim - you certainly seem to be enjoying life much more at the moment. I think you are another one who is working on their boundaries. :flowerforyou:

Must rush. Love to all.
    Heather UK
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,788 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I have the stomach bug neutral: .. woke up at 11:30 last night and unfortunatly was on the pot most of the night. also got sick once..
    I am taking the day off from work. and reschedule my kidney dr appt..
  • GenieBeanieChiliBeanie
    Options
    Wow = this looks like a really active group - cool! I'm 5'11" started at 170. have been as low as 145 but I looked like death warmed over so my goal is 155. Please Friend me!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    heather love the idea of being clear about boundaries, i think it is going to be my word for the month :)CLEAR
    Busy week in our house but i am focusing on having the scale move in a lower direction!

Sending positive thoughts to those with financial and health issues.

Karen from ny
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri- Your cupboards look fantastic. I married a perfectionist/neat-nik, so organization has never been an issue. As the slob of our marriage, I do have a couple of drawers that are some what cluttered. But after being married to Tim for 26 years, they are pretty neat for junk drawers.
    Lenora- Funny story about your first work experience! Is this the same "boss" that you have been working for recently? I have been a childcare provider for 21 years, it became my default job after I decided to "stay home" with my kids. My first job was in when I was 15 and I worked in a local hardware store. I knew VERY little about hardware/paint at that time in my life. First day they had me cleaning and I burnt myself on a lightbulb. I was a clumsy/awkward teen. They kept me on and I learned a lot. I have a lot of fun memories of that job. AFter that, I spent about ten years in the restaurant business. I still have nightmares about those days. *shiver*
    CheriGee2- LOL! Love the cougar reference! You go girl!
    Kim- love your paragraph re: what you had to do to make ends meet at a tough time in your life. I would be the same. I run my own home daycare, now, but there have been times when I have unexpectedly had a vacancy and had to get creative to make up for the financial loss, because I wasn't able to fill the spot right away. My daughter did the same thing when she was 12. She was a girl scout and found out that they were planning a trip to Europe. She wanted to go, but we didn't have the $$ to send her, so I told her if she earned her own $$, she could go. She had two years to earn. She put out flyers, let friends and family know, and was busy as a bee for two years (as the chauffeur, that kept me busy also). She made it and earned about $800 spending money, to boot!

Well, I walked outside this morning, as usual, and I could smell skunk as I was finishing my walk and heading into my house! I guess the warmer than normal temps have tempted the semi-hibernators from their winter slumber? Anyway, I was walking around the house toward the side door and darned if a skunk didn't run out of the bushes at my feet! I backed up fast and far. He sprayed. I don't think he got me, but the smell sits like a blanket around my house! Blech! It is a foggy day with no breeze (it figures!) which is unusual for being lakeside. So I am sure this lovely smell will be around for a day or two. I will probably have "ghost fumes" in my nose FOREVER!! Blah.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,788 Member
    Options
    KJL~my little guy stuck his head under my car about 4 months ago and got sprayed, my husband brought him back in and let him off leash and said he was going for a walk.. and left me to find an antidote and wash the dog and everything he rolled on.. to say I was P.O ed was an understatment..
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This is me cleaning at the studio. Funny.cyhm4h1m7dev.jpeg
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, that is me cleaning, period!