auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    a
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Take them for a walk one at a time.

Yep! Excuses are easy to find when you look for them.

100% this!
    Coley88 wrote: »
    mkwrose wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    your dogs would probably appreciate going on a walk or run with you.

my dogs get excited when they see me put my shoes on.....
    My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

I know it's not your question, but a couple of times per week? Dogs should be walked a few times per day for getting rid of waste, getting rid of energy and staying in contact with other dogs in the neighbourhood. And honestly, if your dogs don't listen to you then they need better training, both for staying in their place while you work out and when you go for a walk. Poor beasts.

The OP has said that she has a big back yard where the dogs go a lot each day and play and do their business. We personally do not take our two doggies on ANY walks. They are much more content to run free and play in the fenced back yard. Plus they are nervous nellies on walks and won't do their business anyway.

Thank you. By a "couple times per week" is average of 3-4, depending on weather. We do laps around our huge backyard together, as well as all around our 3 story home. I'm sorry, but I personally feel that during the summer if it is too hot for me to go on a walk barefoot, than it is too hot for them as well. Burning their soft pads on paws is more neglect to me. On the same page, since they both have light coats, if it's too cold for me outside during the winter, it's too cold for them to go on a walk as well, especially during snowy/icy conditions.

In addition to the exercise we do together around the yard/home, they also visit with my grandmother and her two dogs, as well as my mother in law and her two dogs, multiple times as week.

I would bet they get more exercise, as well as love and attention, than most of the dogs from the owners that are bashing. If we lived in an apartment, I think it would be different, however, we live in a spacious 3 story house(which they chase each other around in addition to thto laps that the three of us do together), a huge backyard, and visit two other homes and yards frequently.

I am sorry, but these are all excuses. So you can only walk the dogs when it is a certain temperature out, and wont walk them by yourself/one by one?

No one is bashing. They are simply stating that dogs are a commitment that require daily exercise.

I have a OLD (14 y/o) golden retriever who is blind, has severe arthritis and limited mobility. The vet flat out told me a walk, daily, was the best thing I could do for her to keep her joints from stiffening up. Vet also told me the fact that we walk her every day (even though we also have a large back yard) is one of the reasons she has lived so long even with the medical problems.

Actually, we recently had quite the canvassing ad campaign by the RSPCA which basically said "If you can't walk barefoot, neither can your dog" after a spate of dogs being treated for burnt pads. I don't live in snow, so can't comment, but the hot pavement thing is totally legit.

They make socks/booties for this exact reason.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14055-1384375098-4.gif
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You should probably train them properly then...
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The only help that my girl gives me is begging (and getting) some of the calories that I get.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    a

100% this!

My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

I know it's not your question, but a couple of times per week? Dogs should be walked a few times per day for getting rid of waste, getting rid of energy and staying in contact with other dogs in the neighbourhood. And honestly, if your dogs don't listen to you then they need better training, both for staying in their place while you work out and when you go for a walk. Poor beasts.

The OP has said that she has a big back yard where the dogs go a lot each day and play and do their business. We personally do not take our two doggies on ANY walks. They are much more content to run free and play in the fenced back yard. Plus they are nervous nellies on walks and won't do their business anyway.

Thank you. By a "couple times per week" is average of 3-4, depending on weather. We do laps around our huge backyard together, as well as all around our 3 story home. I'm sorry, but I personally feel that during the summer if it is too hot for me to go on a walk barefoot, than it is too hot for them as well. Burning their soft pads on paws is more neglect to me. On the same page, since they both have light coats, if it's too cold for me outside during the winter, it's too cold for them to go on a walk as well, especially during snowy/icy conditions.

In addition to the exercise we do together around the yard/home, they also visit with my grandmother and her two dogs, as well as my mother in law and her two dogs, multiple times as week.

I would bet they get more exercise, as well as love and attention, than most of the dogs from the owners that are bashing. If we lived in an apartment, I think it would be different, however, we live in a spacious 3 story house(which they chase each other around in addition to thto laps that the three of us do together), a huge backyard, and visit two other homes and yards frequently.

I am sorry, but these are all excuses. So you can only walk the dogs when it is a certain temperature out, and wont walk them by yourself/one by one?

No one is bashing. They are simply stating that dogs are a commitment that require daily exercise.

I have a OLD (14 y/o) golden retriever who is blind, has severe arthritis and limited mobility. The vet flat out told me a walk, daily, was the best thing I could do for her to keep her joints from stiffening up. Vet also told me the fact that we walk her every day (even though we also have a large back yard) is one of the reasons she has lived so long even with the medical problems.

Actually, we recently had quite the canvassing ad campaign by the RSPCA which basically said "If you can't walk barefoot, neither can your dog" after a spate of dogs being treated for burnt pads. I don't live in snow, so can't comment, but the hot pavement thing is totally legit.

ETA: or walk them somewhere that has no pavement.

I wouldn't go so far as make my dogs wear booties lol But we do drive to the beach or park most days anyway, hot or cold.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    a

100% this!

I wouldn't go so far as make my dogs wear booties lol But we do drive to the beach or park most days anyway, hot or cold.

In the winter we have to have the dog wear booties, but only when she is visiting my parents. We bring her every time we visit (they only live 30 minutes away), but they live in the city. The salt burns her paws and then she licks and licks until she gets hot spots. She loves visiting them though so we just cant say no (somehow she always knows). We've tries just washing her paws after but the booties are easier. Took her a bit to get used to them, but now she is fine.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    a

100% this!

In the winter we have to have the dog wear booties, but only when she is visiting my parents. We bring her every time we visit (they only live 30 minutes away), but they live in the city. The salt burns her paws and then she licks and licks until she gets hot spots. She loves visiting them though so we just cant say no (somehow she always knows). We've tries just washing her paws after but the booties are easier. Took her a bit to get used to them, but now she is fine.

Aah ok. We don't get snow here, so don't have to worry about that.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    This was my view doing crunches the other day! wa1qv1b6cl3c.jpg

Lol I've had this one! Or when I'm doing push ups/ chataranga I gets kisses
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Although we don't get much extreme weather, I use Musher's Secret if the gritters/salters have been out (mainly because dog shoes look like thigh-high boots on Diva's little legs)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UCKP0A?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    a

100% this!

My husky and I both hated the South Florida summers, and so I walked him in the AM as the sun was coming up and at night as it was going down.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    She quite likes snow actually https://youtu.be/kxoputFVO0Y
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    a

100% this!

Walking later or earlier in the day also work. Took my dog late at night sometimes.

No one is bashing you. Only pointing out the commitment dogs take. Also again it's not all about exercise.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Although we don't get much extreme weather, I use Musher's Secret if the gritters/salters have been out (mainly because dog shoes look like thigh-high boots on Diva's little legs)

This is amazing and I will need to look into some on American Amazon. I have yet to find booties that stay on my chihuahuas' tiny feet.
  • Christine_72
    Options

This is amazing and I will need to look into some on American Amazon. I have yet to find booties that stay on my chihuahuas' tiny feet.

OMG, the cuteness :heart: I'm thinking tiny cloth dolls shoes :lol:
  • kariplz
    kariplz Posts: 41 Member
    Options

you should look into a gentle leader for her, best thing I ever got for my 90 lbs Rottweiler.

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they'd have to be very tiny; and due to the perkiness of the paws I am pretty sure they'd slip off anyway. The one is bigger because he's a Pom mix, but his feet are pure skinny chi feet.
    I'll share my exercise buddies real fast...4pwmjkqcceox.jpg
    2uyq9vsx91cz.jpg

Just kidding. They actually run around with us too; one even did a trail race with me last summer.
    gywshguxinjx.jpg
    wf6sg7nnz6ad.jpg
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Has anyone got any tips on training your dog to go jogging with you?

Been thinking about getting Norman out with me for a while. Might just tire him out enough to stop bugging my parents dog all the time even after a big walk together.

03amcuiov5mc.jpeg
    d7vrst7tzppw.jpeg
    zpnh4yuas3pb.jpeg
    7ord7xuobl4d.jpeg
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    a

100% this!

We were also told by the vet that exercise in any temps above 25C (77F) can start to cause heat problems for dogs.
    So when it's 30 C at 5 AM, yeah my 64 kgs dogs don't get a walk that day.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I go sprinting with my younger, fast girl. But she's easy and I just leash her up and go! At first I just picked up the pace while walking until we were running full-out, and now I can say, "Run!" and that means the sprints :) She slows down when I slow down, etc. It wasn't hard because she always wanted to run anyway.

Now she's not as into the sprinting anymore, though, lol. She doesn't want to do all of them that fast, but I added a 'lap' of sniffing everything slowly, so we're both very happy with our routine. We can't go as fast in the snow, but we do still run in it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    There are special walking harnesses that prevent pulling.