Total: 3.5 miles

Excellent - keep it up!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hydeel6582 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. My story:...
    I've set a goal of 35 Miles for February and a 10lb weight loss

Welcome - you'll find lots of folks here with good ideas and great support! You've already done the hardest part: deciding to make a change, and asking for help.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    We had a big snow storm yesterday and into this morning. It shut down schools, businesses closed early, it even shut down the interstate in southern Minnesota. BUT...it did not shut down the Winter Warriors! One guy who lived a half mile away even came in on cross country skis.

Traffic being much better than expected due to so many going home early, I got to the running store way too early so I checked in and did a 2 mile out and back run on my own. With the group I decided to do the short loop of 3 miles, so ended up with 5 very hard miles. I imagine it wasn't too unlike running through sand. Where the wind drifted the snow, we'd have to run through snow up to the middle of my calf in a few places, but mostly it was about 4 to 5 inches. Social hour consisted of beer, donuts and good conversation.

On the way home, snow still coming down hard, I decided I wasn't quite read to be done. I let Kody out and we did the 2 mile loop around the neighborhood, dodging a few snowmobiles out enjoying the snow. Glad I had my headlamp on.

Halfway around I took my first tumble of the year. There was so much snow it was like falling on a bed, so no worries there. A bit after that Kody took a harder fall that was a bit more concerning. His back legs fell through a storm sewer grate. I try to avoid those because he could easily break a leg, but this was completely covered in snow. Thankfully I got him out with no ill effect and we continued on our way.

Once at home I blew out the driveway which now had about 9 inches of snow.

A perfect evening for running!! Rest day today, which is good because it's my wife's birthday so I'll need to pay attention to that.x6xfqiqr6umv.jpeg
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to train for a marathon in June but running into a lot of issues, mostly around overtraining. I'm having a hard time getting in enough mileage to properly train without overtraining, so I'm really not sure how to progress from here. I'm at the point where I'm training so much my weight loss has stalled and I really need that weight loss to help me improve my speed. Long story short, I need to rethink my approach to maximize results and minimize injury.

My January goal was 69 miles. I got 39 done.

For February, my goal is 45 miles. This allows me to get in a weekly long run and get in some shorter workouts too while allowing lots of space for cross training and weights.

exercise.png

@punkrockgoth I'm sorry to hear that your training has become so problematic! How much had you been running before your training plan began? If worse comes to worse, are you able to drop down to a half instead?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to train for a marathon in June but running into a lot of issues, mostly around overtraining. I'm having a hard time getting in enough mileage to properly train without overtraining, so I'm really not sure how to progress from here. I'm at the point where I'm training so much my weight loss has stalled and I really need that weight loss to help me improve my speed. Long story short, I need to rethink my approach to maximize results and minimize injury.

My January goal was 69 miles. I got 39 done.

For February, my goal is 45 miles. This allows me to get in a weekly long run and get in some shorter workouts too while allowing lots of space for cross training and weights.

Not sure what your plan calls for, but my biggest mental obstacle is always the temptation to run too fast. I believe that it's a large number of slow miles that does us the best good in maintaining good, injury-free running.

Maybe you can post your plan, and the gurus around here can help - or maybe point you to a good coach in your area. Is there a running group near you? or even a good running (shoes) store that can point you to local expertise?
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of adding the 3/12 DC Marathon to my planned schedule. Anyone do this one previously? I have done Marine Corps but not this one...? Looks fun! I loved Marine Corps.

Any thoughts? Anyone done this one before?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training

Last night's run (runs?) was, er, interesting. We had some crazy winter thunderstorms during the late afternoon, so I had resigned myself to doing speedwork on the treadmill. But when I left work, it appeared to be clearing up, so I decided to try and knock out a tempo run on the bike path. Well, the bike path was a muddy mess from the rain and had lots of slippery spots, so most of my tempo run wasn't very tempo. Then it started to lightening and thunder, so I opted to head back to my car. Got in 2.6 miles on the path before round number two of the storms hit, then went home and did some speed intervals on the treadmill for another 2.8. I think this is my first ever "not really tempo" tempo/speed interval run! It was kind of fun...
    exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 75 again. and try to get back up to 13 miles on weekend runs

1-personal training episode. so sore
    2-nothing, not feeling well
    3-slept in. still not feeling great

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

• treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm new and decided to join. I used to run a lot but haven't done much of it for a couple of years. I hope to do my first 5K at the end of April so I just started back with the C25K program. Today will only be W1D2 so I have a long way to go! This is the first time I've ever done winter running and my gear is not really up to par but I don't want to invest in anything new until I know I'm committed to it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    that's great news @Virkati
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles

I had 10 on the calendar for today, but when I woke up I knew that wasn't going to happen. Today is the awful, dreaded Day of Severe Lady Cramps, which meant my legs could barely move a 9:30 pace this morning, whereas a couple days ago 7:40s were easy peasy. I was planning to do 5 miles, but when I got to the turn to go home, I figured I had time to add 2-3 more and added on another little loop. I sort of regretted it because I was slow and I felt awful and it was raining a cold rain, but now I won't feel like I have to go do any more tonight. I can take a 2.5 mile loss on the week better than a 5 mile loss. Here's to hoping I don't feel like total poo tomorrow!
    omgoodness, ditto, i hear you. just miserable
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning It is actually 3 different Hills but all are on the East Side of our River Valley which has the Steeper Grade. We do most of our Trail Runs on the on the West Side of the River as it has lots of Long Rolling Hills that have great Trails crossing at different angles so it can be a short 3 to a long 25k depending on what sequence of trails we link together.
    @7lenny7 Glad to hear that Kody never got hurt. Definitely a Great Group of Winter Warriors that you run with. Laughed at the Mental Visual of the one member who came in on X-Country Skis to do a run. Yes Running in Deep Snow is like running on Sand - Maybe even harder due to the snow breaking out from under your toes at the last part of the push off. I find that the next day my Quads were really telling me that I had a good workout.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill

exercise.png

@lporter229, @michable, @Stoshew71, @7lenny7, @Elise4270 - #haventpeakedyet Love that hashtag! Guess I qualify as a youngster?!? (42)

@skippygirlsmom - Yay for pain free miles! And a big ol' woot for Hawaii!!
    @Stoshew71 - Yep...running gear stimulus package for sure!!
    @9voice9 - Ugh! Sorry to hear that. Glad you can get back for your race, though!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    @kellyjellybellyjelly HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Newbie welcomes to @CariTJR @teramae @pippishortstockings @itstime2016 @nhenryoliver @ShaeDetermined @treegirl97

@kristinegift: Yeah, they were saying 40MPH winds in our forecast too..think I’ll stick with the rest day today and maybe just take a walk
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    February Running Totals (miles)
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down

You know you're training for a marathon when warm up, speed work, and cool down add up to almost 10 miles and you don't expect it to be even the second longest mileage of the week.

Y'all marathon/ultra folks are CRAZY :p

Mo Feb 1: Iowa caucuses…Can’t.tear.myself.away. What did I say about “consistency” again? I did reset my training since it’s a new month to the “Sub 2:30:00 half marathon” plan..maybe I can pull a Peewee Herman and say “I meant to do that?”
    Tu Feb 2: On the board! 3.06 miles in the rain.

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    I love this one. It's a bit sexist, but still the spirit behind it is what matters :)

It's only sexist if you don't think women have balls... :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Although the plan is to rent snowshoes and head for some snowy mountain trails, that would make for interesting running conditions!

@_nikkiwolf_, Even better! They have snowshoe races here. I'd think that would be good crosstraining.
    That race serious sounds interesting. Are they all in one place? That might be nice, then you already know the location for race 2-4. And "Autumn Trail" conjurs up really pretty images of clear blue skies and falling leaves ;-)

They are all at the same park, on Wednesdays, every other week starting the last week of August. The first two routes are 4 miles, that last two routes are 5.5K. The start line is on my way home from work. It couldn't be more convenient for me. There's another trail series I'll be signing up for that runs 5 or 6 times during the summer on Tuesdays but they change parks every time.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    2/1.....................REST..................0.00
    2/2.......................6.50...................6.50
    2/3.......................5.00.................11.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile NIght Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100K (Pine Mountain, KY

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    Total: 13 miles

Did some good speed work today! 1 mile warm up to the track; 4x800m (at 5K pace) with 400m recovery jog between; 1 mile cool down. I really really hate running 800m repeats (they’re my least favorite repeat distance) so it was a real struggle for me to get out there today. Especially since it was 28 degrees out and 18 mph winds. I’m very glad I did though!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    I love this one. It's a bit sexist, but still the spirit behind it is what matters :)

It's only sexist if you don't think women have balls... :)

Yup..
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Just dropping by quickly because someone sent me this, and I had to share B)

gk4eu90ml5cs.png