Do you even kale?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nope. And for the record, one doesn't get "extra credit" once micro nutrients are met. Like above poster, give me spinach instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

He didn't say it did.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Kale's tasty! I have a big bag of frozen organic kale/spinach mix in the freezer for smoothies. My work cafeteria has a really tasty kale, chickpea salad. YUM.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't trust any food that has to be 'massaged' to be edible

Been eating kale for over 40 years, have no idea what that statement means. I have never massaged kale. I'm not even sure how one would go about it. :laugh:

For your reading enjoyment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/how-to-massage-kale_n_1601200.html

Interesting. Now if only I could get it to massage me.

You're a smart one, you are!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Kale is thyroid suppressive. Since I'm hypothyroid, the doctor advises me not to eat kale.

I think that's only when eaten raw, isn't it? Spinach is also if not cooked.

And broccoli.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are the new kale.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

I thought they were the old kale?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

Also yummy, and nutritious.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I do love me some brussel sprouts. Very filling also in my opinion so that's a big plus for them.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I do love me some brussel sprouts. Very filling also in my opinion so that's a big plus for them.

Yeah...broccoli, brussel sprouts...fill me up brother! Love em love em love em. Spinach...arugula...gimme gimme gimme.

Kale is still the devil.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Yeah...broccoli, brussel sprouts...fill me up brother! Love em love em love em. Spinach...arugula...gimme gimme gimme.

Kale is still the devil.

Meh, I can do with or without. I don't go out of way not to eat it but never buy it. I may be in something I order at a restaurant like 3 times per year. That's enough for me.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    And yes! Broccoli and spinach are staples. Arugula as well but not quite as often. My favorite veggie is cauliflower though :) Which I probably shouldn't admit on these boards....lol. I do like cauliflower as cauliflower though...not as pizza crusts so I think it's okay.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I love brussel sprouts; I never had them as a kid because my mom hates them. So, a few years ago I was at my parents' for valentines so I figured I'd make some for them (because surely if they had them roasted and made well they would also love them). My dad looked at me and said "love is not making your loved ones brussel sprouts".

Oh well.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Kale is still the devil.

Meh, I can do with or without. I don't go out of way not to eat it but never buy it. I may be in something I order at a restaurant like 3 times per year. That's enough for me.

Yes...that's probably a more accurate way to put it. I mean I'm not going to sit and pick it out of a dish or anything.

But I don't buy it for myself. I grew it in my garden a couple years ago when it was taking off as the new 'it' thing...but I still didn't care for it. Subbed it out for arugula last year.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Kale is fine....I use it chopped in salads. If growing, either ver young or after frost it loses bitterness. Baby kale is even better for salads.

That said, we much prefer the variety of Asian greens...plus as they are a staple at most Asian grocers they are a far less expensive than traditional NA veggies.

We go through tons of greens like choi, gai lan, choi sum, amaranth leaves, snow lea shoots, water spinach....plus the fun veggies like lotus root or luffa.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Tried it, hate it.
    Spinach is almost as nutrient rich, and tastes better.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think I'll be having some kale today since I forgot my other frozen vegetables.

Brussel sprouts though? The only thing more bitter than their taste would be my feelings after eating them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love roasted brussels sprouts so much. Lima beans too. Both things that I didn't like as a kid due to how they were cooked but I like them now. I used to swallow the lima beans whole just to get them off my plate and then my sister would tell on me for not chewing them :confused:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I love roasted brussels sprouts so much.

My 8 year old asks for roasted brussels sprouts every day!
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like Kale, but I LOVE Collard greens. I grew up eating both, and cooking both, but in the old fashioned Southern style. They taste awesome cooked for about an hour with some type of smoked meat, such as smoked turkey, or a good hickory smoked bacon. I hope and pray that they still retain their nutritional value lol. I think its so awesome that now these types of greens are popular, but it does drive the price up :(

The funny thing is Spinach is new to me, but the greens I am very familiar with. Try collards, they are even better than Kale :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Well the package I had tucked in the freezer didn't want to separate much. It looks like I'm kaling for 685g frozen today.