Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 115lbs, been on this site for over 1,000 days and recently beat a cancer scare, was told last week to give up, apparently at 55 I am to old. Yeah right, I am just warming up
  • LycheePea
    LycheePea Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    An acquaintance of mine keeps insisting that I should go low carb. I've tried it before for 2 months and I was hungry all the time while I wasn't losing weight any faster. It might work for certain other people and I completely respect that but he basically implied that non-low carb diets don't work.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    LycheePea wrote: »
    An acquaintance of mine keeps insisting that I should go low carb. I've tried it before for 2 months and I was hungry all the time while I wasn't losing weight any faster. It might work for certain other people and I completely respect that but he basically implied that non-low carb diets don't work.

You too?? I thought I was somehow odd for feeling very hungry on low carb when people kept saying you are supposed to feel less hungry.
  • myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    wow people always have a desire to give advices and teach others how to live :D
    The most annoying advices usually come from people who don't have any experience or deep knowledge about weight loss/nutrition/sports, but they feel like they know better anyways
    Also I hate when naturally thin or skinny people are giving rude advices to "fatties"
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people assume you don't work hard because you are thin ;) hardly anyone is "naturally" thin
  • LycheePea
    LycheePea Posts: 8 Member
    Options

You too?? I thought I was somehow odd for feeling very hungry on low carb when people kept saying you are supposed to feel less hungry.

Great to hear I'm not alone. Some potatoes, bread or legumes are guaranteed to fill me. To be fair, I don't eat meat, fish or eggs so there weren't many filling low-carb options left for me.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oprah telling me to join Weight Watchers with her because bread.
    Every time I see one of her ww commercials it irritates me.

All I can think about is that time she did a liquid diet and lost a lot and revealed it on a show. She gained it right back. Then she ran a lot and lost. Then gained it all back. Then this and then that and then and then...

I don't think of her as someone knowledgeable to advise me on losing weight for life with whatever her next trick is lol

(I know ww works for some)
  • AmazonMayan
    Options
    Not really annoying advice but when people assume because you've lost a lot of weight, you must have had "weight loss" surgery.

I hate this too and it comes across as rude to me. I think some mean well and are curious. I feel like it discounts the hard work that goes into losing weight no matter how it's accomplished.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Oprah telling me to join Weight Watchers with her because bread.
    Every time I see one of her ww commercials it irritates me.

All I can think about is that time she did a liquid diet and lost a lot and revealed it on a show. She gained it right back. Then she ran a lot and lost. Then gained it all back. Then this and then that and then and then...

I don't think of her as someone knowledgeable to advise me on losing weight for life with whatever her next trick is lol

(I know ww works for some)

All I can think of every time I see her bread commercial is that dating video with the girl who loved cats. "I just love bread. I want to hug all of it. I want to put little bows on the bags."
  • karalissa
    karalissa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The most annoying advice ?? Well you should use more self control between meals and stop the " snacking nibbles". Or -- Here's my all time favorite -- Just stop eating all the things you love and eat " more healthy"...
    Talk about getting my blood pressure up in a knot and then some.

• faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I wish Oprah the best of luck this time but I have to agree with you @AmazonMayan. Whatever you choose to do has to be an individual and sustainable life change not a fad. (That is until virgin mermaids are discovered anyway!) ;)

• ChangeMyBMI
    ChangeMyBMI Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my all time favorite "advice": you can't be a vegetarian - you will get scurvy
  • chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    elbrujo53 wrote: »
    "Don't get too skinny!" (after losing over 200 pounds)

Ha Ha Ha.. And after that, "you need to gain some weight since you look too old now..."

I get this too - looking old for my age because I lost weight - comments coming from ones closest to me. Don't know how to respond to those yet..
  • AmazonMayan
    Options
    my all time favorite "advice": you can't be a vegetarian - you will get scurvy

Um

I wouldn't know how to respond to that :D I'd have to just walk away lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    chromilo wrote: »

Ha Ha Ha.. And after that, "you need to gain some weight since you look too old now..."

I get this too - looking old for my age because I lost weight - comments coming from ones closest to me. Don't know how to respond to those yet..

I look 5 years older, to be fair. Kinda sucks.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    So-called MFP "friend" who would peruse my food diary daily and then advise me what I was doing wrong. I usually eat a little something light before a workout or I can get really dizzy and lightheaded. She said I should never eat anything before working out because I wouldn't burn any fat that way. That I should just keep going and the dizziness would pass. Right. I'd love to just pass out and fall off the treadmill. :p

Before I had the chance, this person "unfriended" ME for not listening to her advice! Blessing in disguise!

I was just told a few days ago that I'm wrong for not eating before working out in the morning because if I did eat I would burn more calories.

It doesn't matter what you do, someone will tell you that you are wrong.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Anyone pushing a weight loss gimmick. If you have an acquaintance selling herbalife or something, it seems to be some kind of crime if you're fat and won't buy into it.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mostly my friends and family are very supportive but an ex-boyfriend always told me that what I was doing wrong was that I was eating several MEALS a day. He said he only ever had one MEAL and 2 or 3 snacks. Thing is... his "snacks" included sizable bowls of chocolatey cereal whereas my big-looking meals were mainly vegetables with some protein. He periodically gained weight and then cut back to about 1000kcal for a few weeks to lose the kilos and at some point re-gained them. He was also of the firm opinion that if something was home-cooked, it was healthy, no matter how high in fat, carb or whatever it was.

Today at work though... two colleagues saw me eating my healthy balanced lunch box of carrot salad with chicken, apple slices, a little cheese and some dried cranberries. One of them is a PE teacher and the other one pretty regularly runs half-marathons. They commented how tasty my lunch looked and whether I was trying to lose weight. I saw no reason not to tell them that yes, I was trying to eat more healthily. Then SHE started telling me that whenever she gains a little or tries to feed herself up for a run, she just eats plain low-fat quark and I should totally try that. And HE told me that the best way to lose weight was to only snack on raw veg for dinner and not eat after 7pm. Hey, folks. I know that I'm overweight and you aren't but I didn't ask for your advice. And your ways may work for you but they would not work for me. If you want to nibble on carrot sticks, go right ahead but I want a full meal in the evening and it's never stopped me from losing weight. Not counting calories does that.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    Anyone pushing a weight loss gimmick. If you have an acquaintance selling herbalife or something, it seems to be some kind of crime if you're fat and won't buy into it.

or if you are losing weight already and won't buy into it so they can use your success to further promote themselves/their "business". Ugh, no.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    chromilo wrote: »

I look 5 years older, to be fair. Kinda sucks.

after losing 20something pounds, and being pretty healthy, obese and overweight women kept saying to me "yeah, i'd like to lose some weight. but not as much as you." or "i don't want to look like you though".....Umm, gee thanks, I don't want to look like you either? :pensive: