Too much protein?

Options

Replies

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I was mostly smh at some of the arguments in here. It's become apparent to me in this thread, after reading its entirely, and a few others, that some people are going to keep spouting bad advice no matter what evidence is shown to them. It frustrates me because it's patently untrue, and while it may work for some, can be dangerous for many others... but what gets me is just a wonder... what kind of bold faced bravado does one need when the masses are providing ample explanation and evidence that your position is not only wrong, but seemingly completely founded solely on personal opinion, to continue denying it and be completely unwilling to stop for just one moment and consider the fact that if, say 30 people are telling me I'm wrong, there might be a possibility that my position is worth examining.

I think it's usually referred to as 'extreme fanaticism' or 'cultism'.

At this point, I'm pretty sure its pure trolling. I don't believe that he is an athlete at any level, and I don't really believe that he has any particular feelings about anything related to nutrition or performance unless its food for attention and starting or sustaining an argument.

Please don't assume I'm not an athlete, it's embarrassing for you. I am an athlete who competes in local bike races. I'm not a pro, but to say I'm not an athlete is absurd.
  • OMP33
    Options
    I was mostly smh at some of the arguments in here. It's become apparent to me in this thread, after reading its entirely, and a few others, that some people are going to keep spouting bad advice no matter what evidence is shown to them. It frustrates me because it's patently untrue, and while it may work for some, can be dangerous for many others... but what gets me is just a wonder... what kind of bold faced bravado does one need when the masses are providing ample explanation and evidence that your position is not only wrong, but seemingly completely founded solely on personal opinion, to continue denying it and be completely unwilling to stop for just one moment and consider the fact that if, say 30 people are telling me I'm wrong, there might be a possibility that my position is worth examining.

At this point, I'm pretty sure its pure trolling. I don't believe that he is an athlete at any level, and I don't really believe that he has any particular feelings about anything related to nutrition or performance unless its food for attention and starting or sustaining an argument.

He's only 19 years old and apparently very convinced of what he believes in - even though it defies science and basic physiology. But I agree that it does seem to have degenerated to basic trolling/attention seeking at this point.

I have provided clear research with almost everything I say. I'm not trolling, but I will agree to say that each is own. I'm trying to help people see another point of view and to challenge the norm. Some things people put in their body is ridiculous and I want them to know that.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

I'd say around 120g of protein a day

Check here:

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Why? Because she wants to retain muscle mass while she loses weight.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

As a cyclist, I'm sure you do want it in your legs and glutes.

ETA, and you don't want any muscle in your upper body? Wanna struggle to open peanut butter jars?

Protip: Click on username, then click 'Ignore'. Just sayin'. Unfortunately, you'll still see the responses when somebody quotes them, but it's still an improvement.

OMG, I want to hug you! I didn't know I could do that. (I've never felt the overwhelming need to actually delete someone before, however.) I'm doing a big happy dance here. :D:D:D

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Meat is out of question. I'd rather not play russian roulette with my food, too many risks of getting cancer, high cholesterol, and heart disease.

Don't worry about cholesterol from food http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/nutrition-panel-calls-for-less-sugar-and-eases-cholesterol-and-fat-restrictions/

So you're saying dietary cholesterol doesn't raise or lower cholesterol levels..? Wow.

Quote: "Research is beginning to show that your genetic makeup – not diet – is the driving force behind cholesterol levels, says cardiologist Steven Nissen, MD.

The body creates cholesterol in amounts much larger than what you can eat, Dr. Nissen says. So avoiding foods that are high in cholesterol won’t affect your blood cholesterol levels very much." http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

"CONCLUSIONS: In typical diets replacing 60% of saturated fats by other fats and avoiding 60% of dietary cholesterol would reduce blood total cholesterol..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2125600/

that is from 1997.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

A this point, I'm pretty sure its pure trolling. I don't believe that he is an athlete at any level, and I don't really believe that he has any particular feelings about anything related to nutrition or performance unless its food for attention and starting or sustaining an argument.

I think it's more like "I'm going to pretend that science supports my decision to eat nothing but bread and pasta because that's what fits my feels."
  • OMP33
    Options
    Meat is out of question. I'd rather not play russian roulette with my food, too many risks of getting cancer, high cholesterol, and heart disease.

Don't worry about cholesterol from food http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/nutrition-panel-calls-for-less-sugar-and-eases-cholesterol-and-fat-restrictions/

So you're saying dietary cholesterol doesn't raise or lower cholesterol levels..? Wow.

Quote: "Research is beginning to show that your genetic makeup – not diet – is the driving force behind cholesterol levels, says cardiologist Steven Nissen, MD.

The body creates cholesterol in amounts much larger than what you can eat, Dr. Nissen says. So avoiding foods that are high in cholesterol won’t affect your blood cholesterol levels very much." http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

"CONCLUSIONS: In typical diets replacing 60% of saturated fats by other fats and avoiding 60% of dietary cholesterol would reduce blood total cholesterol..."

that is from 1997.

It doesn't matter. It was a study that was conducted and the conclusions came out to say that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol. Humans have not evolved in the past 20 years so the study remains the same as if it were conducted today.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

A this point, I'm pretty sure its pure trolling. I don't believe that he is an athlete at any level, and I don't really believe that he has any particular feelings about anything related to nutrition or performance unless its food for attention and starting or sustaining an argument.

I think it's more like "I'm going to pretend that science supports my decision to eat nothing but bread and pasta because that's what fits my feels."

Come on, he eats a lot of cereal, too...lol. ;)
  • OMP33
    Options

Come on, he eats a lot of cereal, too...lol. ;)

Quick and easy carb source! Not much else cheaper when I am a college student.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

What works for me might not work for you. What works for you might not work for me, so I'm not wrong, it's just that I'm the minority.

Assuming, just for the moment, that the way you eat really is helping you and you are competing (and doing well in those) at the level you say ...

If your whole point is "what works for me might not work for you, what works for you might not work for me?" then, why do you come in to a thread where the OP is asking if her protein intake is okay with (outdated/false) information that it is dangerous. If you came in and just said "eh, I only eat 50g and I'm doing great, but as long as you're feeling fine and achieving your goals" there would be a lot fewer people arguing with you.

Instead, you tell her that she's going to develop osteoporosis and have all sorts of problem. Or, at least, you imply that. A very different tune from the "it's just what works for me" that you're falling back on now.
  • Carlos_421
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What works for me might not work for you. What works for you might not work for me, so I'm not wrong, it's just that I'm the minority.

I mean you are alive, so I guess it is "working", but imagine what you could have achieved with proper nutrition.

I have proper nutrition for the kind of lifestyle I live. I need carbs for the energy during my intense workouts, I need moderate protein to recover, and I don't have a need for fat because I do not train for endurance, I interval train.

So now only endurance athletes need dietary fat???

So if you don't train for endurance, you don't need brain health, healthy hormone function (including testosterone production), skin, hair and nail health, or healthy joints?

b6488ee3.gif

You use energy from fat when endurance training while interval training depletes glycogen storages from carbs.

And you think that's all your body does with dietary fat??
    a3YdoAQ_700b.jpg
  • eeejer
    Options

that is from 1997.

It doesn't matter. It was a study that was conducted and the conclusions came out to say that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol. Humans have not evolved in the past 20 years so the study remains the same as if it were conducted today.
    You don't understand how science and research works. Go look for modern studies. Just finding a random scientific paper you did not read and posting a link to it is not convincing anyone, nor is it even an argument.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

that is from 1997.

Humans haven't evolved but a lot of conclusions reached 20 years ago have since been debunked with further research.
  • OMP33
    Options

that is from 1997.

You don't understand how science and research works. Go look for modern studies. Just finding a random scientific paper you did not read and posting a link to it is not convincing anyone, nor is it even an argument.

Layne is a goof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEkCK28Wwcw
  • eeejer
    Options

OK, so what. I never watched or read anything by him.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Another "source" from a vegan propaganda site. Color me surprised.
  • OMP33
    Options
    Another "source" from a vegan propaganda site. Color me surprised.

Every study saying that meat is not bad for you is probably written by someone who eats meat. So there's propaganda right there!
  • Carlos_421
    Options

that is from 1997.

Layne is a goof.

A poorly done response video by a foul mouthed twerp with apparent difficulties with reading comprehension hardly demonstrates anything.
  • OMP33
    Options

that is from 1997.

Layne is a goof.

A poorly done response video by a foul mouthed twerp with apparent difficulties with reading comprehension hardly demonstrates anything.

It's a video proving that Layne Norton is a load of nothing. Yeah, he has a PhD, but he also receives funds from the dairy, meat, and egg industry to make claims that meat isn't bad for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Omp I suggest you come back here in 20 years time, when you've realised you really don't know it all... We never stop learning, having an open mind will help you, having a closed mind has obviously only hindered you...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

that is from 1997.

Layne is a goof.

It's a video proving that Layne Norton is a load of nothing. Yeah, he has a PhD, but he also receives funds from the dairy, meat, and egg industry to make claims that meat isn't bad for you.

I like how you make things up.

This discussion has been closed.