Too much protein?

Options

Replies

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You know that the WHO has placed meat in the same Cancer causing category as tobacco right?
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Another "source" from a vegan propaganda site. Color me surprised.

Every study saying that meat is not bad for you is probably written by someone who eats meat. So there's propaganda right there!

My sister's partner is a competition cyclist here in the UK and he had managed to change my attitude towards them and their training slowing my car journeys down at the weekends. But you sir are rapidly sending me the other way back the other way. Please be quiet and stop derailing every thread you get involved in with your baseless theories and debunked science. /Rant mode off
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tomw86 wrote: »

Every study saying that meat is not bad for you is probably written by someone who eats meat. So there's propaganda right there!

My sister's partner is a competition cyclist here in the UK and he had managed to change my attitude towards them and their training slowing my car journeys down at the weekends. But you sir are rapidly sending me the other way back the other way. Please be quiet and stop derailing every thread you get involved in with your baseless theories and debunked science. /Rant mode off

Its not debunked if there's still research and studies behind it.
  • OMP33
    Options
    Omp I suggest you come back here in 20 years time, when you've realised you really don't know it all... We never stop learning, having an open mind will help you, having a closed mind has obviously only hindered you...

The WHO says processed/red meat causes cancer. In 20 years I think meat consumption will be lower. When the scientists back in the day said that a new study says that smoking causes cancer, do you think people really wanted to believe that it does then? Same thing applies.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    You know that the WHO has placed meat in the same Cancer causing category as tobacco right?

1444417227-giphy.gif
  • OMP33
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

1444417227-giphy.gif

Lol ;)
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Omp I suggest you come back here in 20 years time, when you've realised you really don't know it all... We never stop learning, having an open mind will help you, having a closed mind has obviously only hindered you...

The WHO says processed/red meat causes cancer. In 20 years I think meat consumption will be lower. When the scientists back in the day said that a new study says that smoking causes cancer, do you think people really wanted to believe that it does then? Same thing applies.

9. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/
  • OMP33
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

9. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.

It's still a carcinogenic. Why play Russian roulette with your food?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that.

Don't forget the rigor that goes into the review process for academic journals. It's not like I can say "I like meat so this is what I'm going to say about eating it." It's the popular media that skews things for headlines (like WHO placing meat in the same cancer causing category as tobacco ... that's not at all what the metanalysis study said about meat.) And those who are just out to prove their point do for propaganda. It would really behoove you to learn the difference.

Maybe in college ...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

The WHO said eating processed/red meat every day increases your risk of colorectal cancer 16%. So since a person's typical risk for colorectal cancer is 6%, eating processed or red meat every day makes your risk of colorectal cancer 7%.

Smoking every day increases your risk of lung cancer 2000%. So it increases your risk from 2% to 40%.

Poor OP just wanted to know if she was eating too much protein, and the simple answer was no.
  • OMP33
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that.

Don't forget the rigor that goes into the review process for academic journals. It's not like I can say "I like meat so this is what I'm going to say about eating it." It's the popular media that skews things for headlines (like WHO placing meat in the same cancer causing category as tobacco ... that's not at all what the metanalysis study said about meat.) And those who are just out to prove their point do for propaganda. It would really behoove you to learn the difference.

Maybe in college ...

"All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that."

And my research points in the opposite direction of yours. But ofcourse, they will never say meat is bad for you because meat eaters are on the panel of they obviously don't want to cut out their meat!
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

The correct terminology is 'it is still a carcinogen' if you are going to be an obtuse muppet then at least do it properly.

And why play Russian roulette with my food? Because it's fun, it's tasty and every so often someone irrelevant gets removed from the genepool.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

EPIC-Oxford: Cancer Mortality (2015)

In the 2015 paper from EPIC-Oxford (19), there was no difference in all cancer mortality between vegetarians (including vegans) and regular meat-eaters (0.93, 0.82-1.05). Vegetarians had lower rates of death from pancreatic (0.48, 0.28-0.82) and lymphatic (0.50, 0.32-0.79), but not colorectal, lung, breast, or ovary cancers.

After excluding participants who changed diet categories during the study, vegetarians had a lower risk of all cancer (0.82, 0.72-0.94), and similar findings as above for the other cancers.

Vegans suffered from 67 deaths from cancer, with a rate not significantly different from regular meat-eaters (1.14, 0.88-1.47). www.veganhealth.org/articles/cancer

And that is from a vegan site.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Maybe in college ...

IIRC, someone did the math and the increased risk of cancer from consuming larger quantities of processed meats was about 1%.

@OMP33 have you taken a course on evaluating the validity and rigor of studies? There are many studies which are highly touted and then later proven to be false for a multitude of reasons including conflicts of interest or bias clouding the outcome, but it can also occur related to newer methods of testing being developed, increased requirements for testing, changing a study parameters can also influence outcome (self-report versus a more tightly control method of data collection). You may find that a study from the late 90s is less relevant than you think once taken into context against newer studies.
  • OMP33
    Options

EPIC-Oxford: Cancer Mortality (2015)

In the 2015 paper from EPIC-Oxford (19), there was no difference in all cancer mortality between vegetarians (including vegans) and regular meat-eaters (0.93, 0.82-1.05). Vegetarians had lower rates of death from pancreatic (0.48, 0.28-0.82) and lymphatic (0.50, 0.32-0.79), but not colorectal, lung, breast, or ovary cancers.

After excluding participants who changed diet categories during the study, vegetarians had a lower risk of all cancer (0.82, 0.72-0.94), and similar findings as above for the other cancers.

Vegans suffered from 67 deaths from cancer, with a rate not significantly different from regular meat-eaters (1.14, 0.88-1.47). www.veganhealth.org/articles/cancer

And that is from a vegan site.

I'm not arguing that vegans still die from cancer because there are genetic factors involved, but "After excluding participants who changed diet categories during the study, vegetarians had a lower risk of all cancer (0.82, 0.72-0.94), and similar findings as above for the other cancers" is what I wanted to see.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

If you're worried about colorectal cancer, then why are you a vegatarian? According to a study that YOU posted

RESULTS:

The standardized incidence ratio for all malignant neoplasms for all participants was 72% (95% CI: 69%, 75%). The standardized incidence ratios for colorectal cancer were 84% (95% CI: 73%, 95%) among nonvegetarians and 102% (95% CI: 80%, 129%) among vegetarians. In a comparison of vegetarians with meat eaters and after adjustment for age, sex, and smoking, the incidence rate ratio for all malignant neoplasms was 0.89 (95% CI: 0.80, 1.00). The incidence rate ratio for colorectal cancer in vegetarians compared with meat eaters was 1.39 (95% CI: 1.01, 1.91)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279082
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Processed meat is in the same category as tobacco because the cause and effect relationship is equally established, but the effect size isn't nearly as high. The average person's base chance of getting colorectal cancer at some point during their life is about 6%. Eating 50 grams of bacon every day would increase that chance to 7%.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Maybe in college ...

"All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that."

And my research points in the opposite direction of yours. But ofcourse, they will never say meat is bad for you because meat eaters are on the panel of they obviously don't want to cut out their meat!

Maybe in college ...

"Your" research is pulling up blog articles and studies over a decade old. What I'm referring to is the academic reports of scientific studies done in the last few years. Like I said, learn the difference between propoganda, popular media, and actual rigorous scientific research.

(edited for clarity)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Processed meat is in the same category as tobacco because the cause and effect relationship is equally established, but the effect size isn't nearly as high. The average person's base chance of getting colorectal cancer at some point during their life is about 6%. Eating 50 grams of bacon every day would increase that chance to 7%.

I'll take 100 grams of bacon instead and live with the elevation to 7.000001%. :D Because bacon.
  • OMP33
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

"Your" research is pulling up articles and studies over a decade old. What I'm referring to is the academic reports of scientific studies done in the last few years. Like I said, learn the difference between propoganda, popular media, and actual rigorous scientific research.

Humans have not evolved in the last 20 years so the research still holds validity. Second, haven't you realized that most studies are conducted by people who eat meat? That's propaganda for you right there.
This discussion has been closed.