The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    2/04: Off (bad held cold -_-), 45 min x-training
    2/05: 4 miles, easy, 8:40 pace
    2/06: 5 miles, 3 miles at race pace (averaged 7:43) with warm up/cool down + 55 min strength training + core
    Total: 22 miles

Today’s run was a nice pace run followed by strength training and some core work at the gym. 1 mile warm up; 3 miles at goal HM pace (7:50 - 7:48 - 7:31); 1 mile cool down. Ok so the last mile was a little faster than goal pace haha. 34 degrees out, but it was super sunny so I ran in a tank top for the pace portion; the sun felt so nice on my arms and shoulders!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sup everyone. Might as well join this. I'm kinda new to this (2 months?) since I thought I was too heavy to run. Now that I am at an acceptable size. I started running in december with one simple goal. To run a 5k without walking by New Years Eve. I did that 3 days before and felt like Rocky Balboa for some reason. Now I can't really stop. I'm up to 7k now and I want to hit 10k in the near future. Here is my strava if anyone uses it. I follow back if you follow me. It's nice to give kudos to people. https://www.strava.com/athletes/4409598

Also I want to see if I can do 100 km this month total. Not sure I can with my schedule as running before or during the lifting leg day(s) doesn't seems to blend too well. Oh well at least 60 and I'm happy

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sup everyone. Might as well join this. I'm kinda new to this (2 months?) since I thought I was too heavy to run. Now that I am at an acceptable size. I started running in december with one simple goal. To run a 5k without walking by New Years Eve. I did that 3 days before and felt like Rocky Balboa for some reason. Now I can't really stop. I'm up to 7k now and I want to hit 10k in the near future. Here is my strava if anyone uses it. I follow back if you follow me. It's nice to give kudos to people. https://www.strava.com/athletes/4409598

Also I want to see if I can do 100 km this month total. Not sure I can with my schedule as running before or during the lifting leg day(s) doesn't seems to blend too well. Oh well at least 60 and I'm happy

exercise.png

Funny, as I was reading your post, there was a commercial on TV playing Eye Of The Tiger. lol
    Welcome to our not so quiet corner on MFP.

Edited: I just started following you on strava.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Hydeel6582
    Hydeel6582 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Ok I think I've got it.... Only thing is I believe I have to scroll all the way to the end of the posts to write this message...
    Hydeel6582 wrote: »
    @Becky_44 Thanks for the tip. When I push the quote button it gives me strange options but no window to write in.. Anyway thanks for responding to me because you was someone I wanted to talk to. I have had problems with tingling and numbness in my left foot as well, I even stop to loosen my shoe lace but it doesn't help. If I keep running it sometimes goes away but it's very bothersome... I hope dome one here has done tips to help with that...
    [/quote]

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've just found out I've got anaemia and I've been prescribed iron tablets. Since I started running about 7 weeks ago I've only been able to run at 6am because if I leave it any later in the day I'm just way too tired. I'm usually asleep within minutes of putting my kids to bed at 7pm! Does anyone else have it and does it affect your running?

I was quite anemic when I started running and took iron daily. It has improved gradually over the past year. I'm eating more now, so I'm sure that's partly it, but I also think the improvements to my cardiovascular system have helped as well.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ok I think I've got it.... Only thing is I believe I have to scroll all the way to the end of the posts to write this message...
    @Becky_44 Thanks for the tip. When I push the quote button it gives me strange options but no window to write in.. Anyway thanks for responding to me because you was someone I wanted to talk to. I have had problems with tingling and numbness in my left foot as well, I even stop to loosen my shoe lace but it doesn't help. If I keep running it sometimes goes away but it's very bothersome... I hope dome one here has done tips to help with that...

[/quote]

Either before the first/start quote bracket, or after the last/end quote bracket. Bit what you did here worked! :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Race report? Ugh... I did something wrong. I'm gonna guess it was thinking that if I took bentyl (IBS med, that is a smooth muscle relaxer) I wouldn't have "right dam now poo surprise".. The heart is a smooth muscle, I had leg cramps a mile in that didn't let up until mile 9. My heart rate was that of a meere mortal, 120-140 instead of 165+. In my wonderful coordinated effort, at mile 3, to be cheery and join in thanking the road police, I looked over while rounding a corner and stuck my foot in the uneven surface and did a face plant, luckily my knee took the brunt of it. Which now looks like hamburger. I keep making DH look at it, cuz he thinks its gross. I took advil, so now I'll have bloddy poo... But, that's why I did this race. So I know what not to do for the half in March. Mission accomplished.

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  128.09/2016
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Race report? Ugh... I did something wrong. I'm gonna guess it was thinking that if I took bentyl (IBS med, that is a smooth muscle relaxer) I wouldn't have "right dam now poo surprise".. The heart is a smooth muscle, I had leg cramps a mile in that didn't let up until mile 9. My heart rate was that of a meere mortal, 120-140 instead of 165+. In my wonderful coordinated effort, at mile 3, to be cheery and join in thanking the road police, I looked over while rounding a corner and stuck my foot in the uneven surface and did a face plant, luckily my knee took the brunt of it. Which now looks like hamburger. I keep making DH look at it, cuz he thinks its gross. I took advil, so now I'll have bloddy poo... But, that's why I did this race. So I know what not to do for the half in March. Mission accomplished.

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

@Elise4270!!!!!!! Take good notes and repeat none of this mistakes in March! That race report reads like a comedy of errors! Hope the knee is ok and the legs aren't too awful from the cramps. I know I was super sore after having leg cramps for the last 9-10 miles of Philly.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I've just found out I've got anaemia and I've been prescribed iron tablets. Since I started running about 7 weeks ago I've only been able to run at 6am because if I leave it any later in the day I'm just way too tired. I'm usually asleep within minutes of putting my kids to bed at 7pm! Does anyone else have it and does it affect your running?

I was quite anemic when I started running and took iron daily. It has improved gradually over the past year. I'm eating more now, so I'm sure that's partly it, but I also think the improvements to my cardiovascular system have helped as well.

I'm not anemic, but being female, I do try to keep up on the iron supplements 2-3 times a week, but usually only in the summer. I use spatone pur iron water. No GI side effects. I'm usually just above anemic (pre running), last set of BW showed I was well above, (a year post supplements).
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @kristinegift thanks! It was rough. I really felt I had an awesome PR opportunity here. But, better I know now than for the HM. It's along the same route, so I'll be mindful of the holes.. Just one of those runs...
  • itstime2016
    itstime2016 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Activity Name Walk / Run Outside!
    Start: Sat Feb 6, 2016 2:00 pm
    Distance 3 miles
    Time: 46 min
    Avg HR 153
    Max HR 179
    Calories 426

Only ran for 10 min today, MD orders. Walked the rest. Felt good to be outside.
  • Becky_44
    Options
    Oh no! Way to plow through it all though! I really love your attitude and humor!

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

• Elise4270
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    Oh no! Way to plow through it all though! I really love your attitude and humor!

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move.

You have such a good attitude. You're going to do great on your half...and no falling in holes!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear about you falling and hope your knee is okay. Sounds like a rough day.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 what a race report! Well done finishing the race after such adversity! Laughing out loud at the panty liners first aid!

@ceciliaslater I hope your ankle gets sorted out by the orthopod!

@runner_girl83 Best of luck at the podiatrist! It will be awesome if you get your shoes and shins sorted out.

@WhatMeRunning congrats on the 5 km PR, and well done on those hills - I am amazed that you are thinking about doing them again tomorrow! I couldn’t back up like that.

@MobyCarp you are training like a machine! If you want to beat 3:15 at Boston, I’m sure you will!

19 km this morning @ 7:46 min/km; Av HR 134, max HR 144. It was cooler today than it has been because we have finally been getting some rain. Very overcast, with light showers.

Tried out my Nathan speed 2 hydration belt, and it was really good. The bottles each have a 300mL capacity, so I noticed the weight at first, but quickly adjusted. And of course, they get lighter as you drink them. I didn’t notice too much bounce. I had to adjust the belt a lot during the first 2km, because it kept sliding up. Just before the 2km mark, it seemed to settle in position and then didn’t move for the rest of the run. Maybe because I started to sweat a bit, and my tights weren’t so slippery. Also, the belt was getting a bit wet from the light rain. Will have to see what happens next week. Easy to get the bottles in and out, and easy to drink from on the run.

1 Feb 6.18 km
    2 Feb sick
    3 Feb sick
    4 Feb Rest
    5 Feb 11.13 km
    6 Feb 6.62 km
    7 Feb 19.00 km (long run)
    8 Feb Rest
    Total: 42.93 km / 165 km

exercise.png

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon
  • Becky_44
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Haha! Good move! Feminine pads were part of my First Aid kit when I did Daycare in my home. It was suggested by both the licensing agency and the paramedic who taught the CPR class back then. They are perfect for bandaging.
    Becky_44 wrote: »

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move. [/quote
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of reading to catch up on. Got LASIK procedure done yesterday so I've got a few days of absolute nothing to look forward to. On day two and already going stir crazy. I see my eye doctor Monday so I'm hoping he'll clear me to run on the treadmill at least, since weights and yoga are totally out for a week! Well here's my small week one victories with getting back in running shape :smile:

February Running Totals (km)
    2/1- 3.5 (3.5/30)
    2/2- 3.63 (7.13/30)
    2/3- 1.36 (8.49/30)
    2/4- 1.34 (9.83/30)
    2/5- Rest following surgery
    2/6- Rest following surgery
    2/7- Rest following surgery
    2/8-
    2/9-
    2/10-
    2/11-
    2/12-
    2/13-
    2/14-
    2/15-
    2/16-
    2/17-
    2/18-
    2/19-
    2/20-
    2/21-
    2/22-
    2/23-
    2/24-
    2/25-
    2/26-
    2/27-
    2/28-
    2/29-

Races
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash

• Hydeel6582
    Hydeel6582 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This week I walked jogged 7.75 Miles! Today I was able to do 3 Miles alternating 1.5 min of walking and 1.5 minutes of jogging. I'm working towards a 5K in July a 10K in August and a half marathon in December