The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    First run of the month so I have a lot of ground to make up already. It was my first official trail run and was HARD! I will definitely need to do more if this. It was a half marathon but we missed a turn do 11.5 miles.

2/6 11.5 miles
    Total 11.5 miles
    Goal 150 miles
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.1 km
    Feb 6 - 5.2 km and a PB at parkrun. Nearly under 30 minutes!

Total 9 km
    Goal 45 km
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5.1 miles this morning, 16.6 out of 60 this month. My best ever run, but I am soooooo hungry now!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays thanks for the response, it's good to hear it does get better. Did you suffer from tiredness? And if you did how long did it take for the tablets to kick in?
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @annekka fantastic job on completing your first HM! Don't worry, I'm sure you were trained and ready, but heat and humidity can mess with the best preparation, and add a lot to your time.

@kateparry84 congrats on your best run ever!

@7lenny7 I'm glad your hamstring feels better!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl Congrats! Your baby is adorable! And welcome back :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to jump in anyways. My goal for February is 100 miles. So far 21 down, 79 left to go.
    I must admit, the awesomeness in this group is a bit intimidating! But also inspiring :)
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As a newbie I'm finding it hard to keep up with the conversations! Lots of interesting points though. @ka97 if you are in intimidated, imagine me with my tiny target?!

Anyhow, easy run with the kids, combo of paths and trails was a nice change.
    exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Hope the knee is doing OK today!

@Wendy1Fl - Congrats on the future running partner! Good to have you back!

@JohnONE29 - Way to break through the slog on that one!

@7lenny7 - You are killing it in training! You're going to crush that full.

@Oberon21 - Congrats on the trail experience! Those trail miles are definitely harder! Which makes me wonder why some swear that they are easier. :lol:

@Orphia - Congrats on the PR!!

@kateparry84 - Way to go on the distance, and good to hear it was a great experience!

Hopefully I didn't miss anybody. :smile:

I was still feeling pretty beat up when I went to bed last night so I predetermined I would rest today instead of doing back to back long runs this weekend. I'm itching to get out and run today though. I'm just not sure yet if I jumped the gun on declaring a rest day or if my mind thinks it is more of a badass than my body.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to jump in anyways. My goal for February is 100 miles. So far 21 down, 79 left to go.
    I must admit, the awesomeness in this group is a bit intimidating! But also inspiring :)

Welcome! Don't be intimidated. We're all a little goofy.. Wait, maybe that's just me...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @mobycarp @rune1990 and @7lenny7 thanks!

@WhatMeRunning I must admit the hypochondriac me is concerned that ist more than superficial. I can not bend it.. Yet. I'd hoped to walk today. Think I'll be lazy. Would be great if it were broke and I didn't have to go to work! Ha-ha!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    10k today... 25.5 miles out of a target of 76.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR

Great run today! Did the first 6 with a buddy because she needed some motivation to get out and do her recovery run. Then I continued on for 12 on my own. Listened to part of my backlog of Dear Hank and John podcasts for 6 miles, then music for the last 6. Kept a really solid, even pace for 15 miles (averaged almost exactly 1 min slower than race pace), then picked it up a little for the last 3. Overall, felt good except for cranky, chilly knees. I'd been looking forward to this run all week, so I'm glad it went well. Now for a bit of a cutback week... phew!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    Oh no! Way to plow through it all though! I really love your attitude and humor!
    Race report? Ugh... I did something wrong. I'm gonna guess it was thinking that if I took bentyl (IBS med, that is a smooth muscle relaxer) I wouldn't have "right dam now poo surprise".. The heart is a smooth muscle, I had leg cramps a mile in that didn't let up until mile 9. My heart rate was that of a meere mortal, 120-140 instead of 165+. In my wonderful coordinated effort, at mile 3, to be cheery and join in thanking the road police, I looked over while rounding a corner and stuck my foot in the uneven surface and did a face plant, luckily my knee took the brunt of it. Which now looks like hamburger. I keep making DH look at it, cuz he thinks its gross. I took advil, so now I'll have bloddy poo... But, that's why I did this race. So I know what not to do for the half in March. Mission accomplished.

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  128.09/2016

Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move.

@elise4270 I'm sorry things didn't go as planned, I can't image running that far while cramping. Ouch on the knee! Heal up soon!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've just found out I've got anaemia and I've been prescribed iron tablets. Since I started running about 7 weeks ago I've only been able to run at 6am because if I leave it any later in the day I'm just way too tired. I'm usually asleep within minutes of putting my kids to bed at 7pm! Does anyone else have it and does it affect your running?

Yes.. For some years now. I take ferro-grad with vitamin c to help with absorption. If I forget to take my tablets i get rundown. Once my B12 got really low because my anaemia was a bit out of control.. My body started using up b12 stores. Next time you get a blood test if they haven't checked already, ask them to check b12. Eat plenty of vit c foods when you take your iron supplement and avoid dairy for a while before and after as dairy makes it harder for he body to absorb iron.

Iron deficiency can affect your energy in huge ways.. Causes headaches and the fatigue can be out of control. You should feel better in a little while though! :smile:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Ran the Daytona Beach HM today. It was fun! A little cold, but that's better than hot. It starts with a run around the speedway. I'm not into racing myself, but it was a really cool experience. Some crazy people went WAY up on the turns (the road goes way up practically a 90 degree angle!) So the race is supposed to leave the speedway and go down to the beach, on the beach a short way, then back. But they announced before it started that the beach was closed (couldn't hear why but people thought it was because of the rain and no sand to run on). I went with a 2:20 pacer - who was awesome. She did a great job. Mile 3-6 I pulled ahead because I was just feeling good and then we had to go over a bridge. WTH! I heard there were no hills. Even though I was still running the group came up on me then. So after the hill I passed them and was ahead for a long time, until it was time to go back over the bridge. Then they passed me going up and I wondered if I'd ever catch them. But I did! And passed them again. By the end there were only a few of us left but I finished maybe 30 seconds in front of the group.
    No bathroom issues (plagued me last HM) and felt great the whole way. But at the end I started FREEZING. I had a change of clothes which I changed into but in a freezing cold bathroom and I could not get warm. I tried to eat the pancakes which I had been looking forward to but I could not. Went to my car, and blasted the heat all the way home! I'm embarrassed to say :blush: my car said the outside temp was 47, and I had the heat blasting to 80 all the way from Daytona to home (45 minutes), lol.

Anyway, I finished in 2:18:57 (net time). A PR!
    When I was looking for the results I noticed the website says that it is one of the top 7 scenic races. If anyone has a chance to run it next year, I recommend it. :smiley:

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - PR 2:18:57!!!

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM
    3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move.

Ha-ha the good old panty liner trick! Hospitals swear by filling them with water and freezing them for emergency icepacks if you need to.. So absorbent! Hope the knee isn't too sore!!

@shanaber Have you had your race yet? Best of luck!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Ran the Daytona Beach HM today. It was fun! A little cold, but that's better than hot. It starts with a run around the speedway. I'm not into racing myself, but it was a really cool experience. Some crazy people went WAY up on the turns (the road goes way up practically a 90 degree angle!) So the race is supposed to leave the speedway and go down to the beach, on the beach a short way, then back. But they announced before it started that the beach was closed (couldn't hear why but people thought it was because of the rain and no sand to run on). I went with a 2:20 pacer - who was awesome. She did a great job. Mile 3-6 I pulled ahead because I was just feeling good and then we had to go over a bridge. WTH! I heard there were no hills. Even though I was still running the group came up on me then. So after the hill I passed them and was ahead for a long time, until it was time to go back over the bridge. Then they passed me going up and I wondered if I'd ever catch them. But I did! And passed them again. By the end there were only a few of us left but I finished maybe 30 seconds in front of the group.
    No bathroom issues (plagued me last HM) and felt great the whole way. But at the end I started FREEZING. I had a change of clothes which I changed into but in a freezing cold bathroom and I could not get warm. I tried to eat the pancakes which I had been looking forward to but I could not. Went to my car, and blasted the heat all the way home! I'm embarrassed to say :blush: my car said the outside temp was 47, and I had the heat blasting to 80 all the way from Daytona to home (45 minutes), lol.

Anyway, I finished in 2:18:57 (net time). A PR!
    When I was looking for the results I noticed the website says that it is one of the top 7 scenic races. If anyone has a chance to run it next year, I recommend it. :smiley:

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - PR 2:18:57!!!

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM
    3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K

Love the PR! I freeze after a run too even in the heat.. Yesterday's run was windy and 38-40. I swear even as I went to bed I didn't feel warmed up. I think your body get in cooling off mode and is slow to adjust.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Congrats on the PR! I'm glad that the race went well for you! That sounds like a great course. Thanks for the report!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the PR @ddmom0811!!

It takes me a long time to heat back up aftee a run I get too cold on. All the fatty areas on me are still cold to the touch even hours after coming back in. The only thing that really seems to help is a hot shower.