The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you!
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    4.1 miles today.

exercise.png
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 great job with the pr! Congrats!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I've just found out I've got anaemia and I've been prescribed iron tablets. Since I started running about 7 weeks ago I've only been able to run at 6am because if I leave it any later in the day I'm just way too tired. I'm usually asleep within minutes of putting my kids to bed at 7pm! Does anyone else have it and does it affect your running?

Yes.. For some years now. I take ferro-grad with vitamin c to help with absorption. If I forget to take my tablets i get rundown. Once my B12 got really low because my anaemia was a bit out of control.. My body started using up b12 stores. Next time you get a blood test if they haven't checked already, ask them to check b12. Eat plenty of vit c foods when you take your iron supplement and avoid dairy for a while before and after as dairy makes it harder for he body to absorb iron.

Iron deficiency can affect your energy in huge ways.. Causes headaches and the fatigue can be out of control. You should feel better in a little while though! :smile:

We were talking about iron at the meet. Quite a few of my friends with running daughters have started to take iron and swear it's improved their running.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    Hi again everyone, it has been a long time, but I'm back! My darling baby girl was born January 21st, and she is such a content little soul. Her name is Evelyn. I'm soooo glad to not be pregnant anymore (I don't do pregnant well, lol). Evelyn was definitely worth it, though! Today I was out on the trails with the dogs and felt strong enough to try jogging it; I surprised myself with how well I did considering how many months I had to be completely sedentary due to debilitating nausea. So I'm setting a goal of 20 miles this month ~wish me luck!2db7xeo3op3c.jpeg
    aj6vyns7dzeu.jpeg

2/6 1.57 miles - 18.43 to go
    exercise.png

Scream!!!!!! Evelyn is precious. Congrats.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Ran the Daytona Beach HM today. It was fun! A little cold, but that's better than hot. It starts with a run around the speedway. I'm not into racing myself, but it was a really cool experience. Some crazy people went WAY up on the turns (the road goes way up practically a 90 degree angle!) So the race is supposed to leave the speedway and go down to the beach, on the beach a short way, then back. But they announced before it started that the beach was closed (couldn't hear why but people thought it was because of the rain and no sand to run on). I went with a 2:20 pacer - who was awesome. She did a great job. Mile 3-6 I pulled ahead because I was just feeling good and then we had to go over a bridge. WTH! I heard there were no hills. Even though I was still running the group came up on me then. So after the hill I passed them and was ahead for a long time, until it was time to go back over the bridge. Then they passed me going up and I wondered if I'd ever catch them. But I did! And passed them again. By the end there were only a few of us left but I finished maybe 30 seconds in front of the group.
    No bathroom issues (plagued me last HM) and felt great the whole way. But at the end I started FREEZING. I had a change of clothes which I changed into but in a freezing cold bathroom and I could not get warm. I tried to eat the pancakes which I had been looking forward to but I could not. Went to my car, and blasted the heat all the way home! I'm embarrassed to say :blush: my car said the outside temp was 47, and I had the heat blasting to 80 all the way from Daytona to home (45 minutes), lol.

Anyway, I finished in 2:18:57 (net time). A PR!
    When I was looking for the results I noticed the website says that it is one of the top 7 scenic races. If anyone has a chance to run it next year, I recommend it. :smiley:

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - PR 2:18:57!!!

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM
    3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K

@ddmom0811 super job on the PR! I ran a race that had bridges once. I said the same thing about Hills lol. I can also relate to the being cold. Hope you warmer up. I'm a huge race fan and have been on the track at Daytona and know what you mean about the angle. You can stand upright and put your arm out and almost touch the track.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - congrats on the PR.

I logged my first run all week, a 5k race. It was a "couple's run". Two people run the 5k and their place gets added together for a score.
    Last year, this was the first race I ran after having my son and was super pleased to get in under 30 minutes. This year I was hoping to get under 26, and under 25 for my ultimate goal.
    I had planned to pace off a friend but he hung back at the start and I was afraid he might decide to run it with his girlfriend, so I ran my own race.
    Usually I have a race plan from my coach giving me certain HR zones to try to hit. This wasn't a goal race, so no race plan. I just ran it.
    I went out fast. It didn't feel too bad at first but I noticed my HR was super high, like max HR zone. By the third km my HR had dropped by so had my pace. I wanted to quit but hung in.
    About halfway, my friend passed me. I should have hung back with him, I went out too hard.

I ended up finishing in 24:57. But. The course was short. Garmin says 4.75 km (I ran to finish the 5k). I know for a fact it is because I volunteered as race director one year and had added a little extra on to get the 5k. The race director didn't to that this year so I know it isn't just a Garmin thing.

The thing is, my first km was a 5:00 minute km (around an 8 minute mile). I've done km repeats recently at this pace and my HR never hit that high. I warmed up.

I'm still happy though.

I am also going to have to switch up my training this month for a physical test (run as far as I can in 12 minutes) so I probably won't hit my monthly goal. Missing this whole week of running doesn't help either.

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Wendy1f1 - Evelyn is adorable! Wow, I'm amazed you are already out walking trails and tried jogging so soon. I was a wimp with my two and certainly didn't do any running - but they never slept it seemed. Actually I never did any running until they were 23 and 21, lol. Years, not months.

@3dogsrunning - Congrats on 5K, That's a great time. That's strange that they didn't measure it correctly - and I'm sure you are right. It seems to me our devices never say we are "short" on a measured race. And @Stoshew71 posted an awesome explanation of why, which has helped me on every subsequent race be much closer to the actual measurement. Today my Endomondo app said 13.3 which is very close - so happy I've figured out how to turn, etc. . And I started it about 50 feet back from starting line.

I did warm up with a very hot bath and shower! But I should not have had such a big piece of King Cake when I got home. Didn't settle well. I know better than that!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    2/04: Off (bad head cold -_-), 45 min x-training
    2/05: 4 miles, easy, 8:40 pace
    2/06: 5 miles, 3 miles at race pace (averaged 7:43) with warm up/cool down + 55 min strength training + core
    2/07: 8 miles, long and easy, 8:39 pace
    Total: 30 miles (and some change)

Recap:
    8 miles today at a nice easy pace. Longest run yet since my cuboidal stress reaction a few weeks ago, and everything felt great so I’m really happy about that! I’m trying to enjoy the 40 degree weather this weekend, because the next two weeks are supposed to be cold and snowy again :(
    I loved this run because it really showed me how much I’ve improved as a runner. A year and a half ago, 8:40 was my 5K pace! And now it’s my easy pace! Talk about some big improvement :blush:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1f1 - Evelyn is adorable! Wow, I'm amazed you are already out walking trails and tried jogging so soon. I was a wimp with my two and certainly didn't do any running - but they never slept it seemed. Actually I never did any running until they were 23 and 21, lol. Years, not months.

@3dogsrunning - Congrats on 5K, That's a great time. That's strange that they didn't measure it correctly - and I'm sure you are right. It seems to me our devices never say we are "short" on a measured race. And @Stoshew71 posted an awesome explanation of why, which has helped me on every subsequent race be much closer to the actual measurement. Today my Endomondo app said 13.3 which is very close - so happy I've figured out how to turn, etc. . And I started it about 50 feet back from starting line.

I did warm up with a very hot bath and shower! But I should not have had such a big piece of King Cake when I got home. Didn't settle well. I know better than that!

@ddmom0811 - thanks.
    It's more of just a fun race, although timed, so I guess not as worried about correct distance.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy with hills

February total to date – 59.50

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – 47° F (8° C) is a gift in early February. I ran in shorts, a long sleeve tech shirt, and light gloves and enjoyed the sunshine. I might not have needed the gloves, but they're a convenient place to warm up a gel so it's easy to take on the run. The assignment was 1.5 hours easy, following yesterday's long speed work. I think the idea is to run on somewhat tired legs and keep going; easy pace wasn't very challenging in the really nice weather. I was probably a bit faster because of the weather, but I'm okay with that.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • KnordRW
    KnordRW Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody! My name's Ray, and I live just south of Pittsburgh. I'm just getting started on a training program to be able to run my first 5K. My very good friend @Becky_44 suggested I come over and join you all. I'm being very conservative in my goals here, because this is the very first time I'm actually running. I've been walking every day since the beginning of September, and I'm actually working towards a 20 mile overnight walk in NYC in the first weekend of June, but I got turned on to possibly running to help with endurance, so here I am.

So, my goal for February is just going to be to get thru the first week of the program I'm on. I attempted the first day today, and I was able to get through half before dropping back to just walking - this represented about a mile of intervals, 2 minutes walking 1 minute running. My plan is to be able to do the whole thing, which should be about 2 miles based on what I did today, with the full 2/1 intervals, all 3 of my running days in a week, before the end of the month. I'm doing Sunday - Wednesday - Friday as my running days, with Monday -Thursday- Saturday for upper body strength training. Plus a regular routine of 11k Fitbit steps every single day inclusive of the running time.

A long term goal/hope is to be able to run the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins 6.6k Run in October.

It's great to meet you all! Becky has told me so many wonderful things about this group!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Feb 2016

Date.…Kms….Total
    01/2….11.22....11.22
    02/2….3.64....14.86
    03/2….6.43....21.29
    04/2….2.22….23.51
    05/2….0.00….23.51
    06/2….5.05….28.56
    06/2….1.21….29.77
    07/2….8.08….37.85
    08/2….2.32….40.17

Goal : 180 km

Crappy crappy run! 1km in and my ankles started to buckle. Just don’t know what’s wrong with my legs lately! I had to walk all of last week after my first park run.. Which I can only put down to pushing myself too hard in the heat.. I ran park run again this weekend just gone and did fine – It was overcast and breezy and I kept my fluids up, only walked yesterday to give my legs a break… Felt great this morning, headed out with the pram/stroller but I just couldn’t run. Hoping the POD will shed some light on things because I don’t know what else to do.. If it’s not my shins it’s my bloody ankles!

I wish I had something happy to report today… But it looks like U.S. Road Running has lost my parcel – My race bib and medal for the February 10k I have registered for. No one is willing to help me track the parcel.. It was last registered in Jamaica, NY on Jan 21… It wasn’t signed out of the facility and hasn’t been tracked since. I have tried to contact someone from the dispatch company though it seems you have to enter a U.S. delivery address and postal code for them to get back to you.. No phone numbers etc… And I have send a few emails to U.S. Road Running now and no response. I am just hoping that the parcel is still on its way and they just got lazy on the tracking side of things… Otherwise, that is $40 AU down the drain!

Sorry. Today is just poo, to put it nicely!

Races:
    Jan 9th – New Year (virtual) 10km 1:11:58
    Jan 30th – Park Run 5km
    Feb 6th – Park Run 5km
    Feb 13th - Park Run 5 km
    February – I Love Running 10km
    February – Run For Mental Health 100km
  • runner_girl83
    Options

Anyway, I finished in 2:18:57 (net time). A PR!
    When I was looking for the results I noticed the website says that it is one of the top 7 scenic races. If anyone has a chance to run it next year, I recommend it. :smiley:

Congratulations on your PR!! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    Hi again everyone, it has been a long time, but I'm back! My darling baby girl was born January 21st, and she is such a content little soul. Her name is Evelyn. I'm soooo glad to not be pregnant anymore (I don't do pregnant well, lol). Evelyn was definitely worth it, though! Today I was out on the trails with the dogs and felt strong enough to try jogging it; I surprised myself with how well I did considering how many months I had to be completely sedentary due to debilitating nausea. So I'm setting a goal of 20 miles this month ~wish me luck!

Awww!!!! So soo cute!! :smiley: Glad you are feeling well and up to having a run! Evelyn was my grandmothers name. She is so precious! Enjoy your little bundle! Cluck Cluck! :smile:
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 thanks for the race recap, I love reading those :) and congrats on your PR!! awesome!

@MobyCarp What gorgeous weather, I'm so jealous! We've got some nasty stuff coming...its about time i suppose

@KnordRW Welcome to the group, Ray! You've got some nice goals and a solid plan, I'm excited for you!

@runner_girl83 I'm sorry you had such a crappy day...Lemme call them for you, I'll give em hell!!! :smirk: I sure hope the DR gets you all sorted with some answers and solutions!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you made it over Ray! Welcome! You will be a fantastic addition to the group! Great goal you have set there too! :smiley:
    KnordRW wrote: »
    Hello everybody! My name's Ray, and I live just south of Pittsburgh. I'm just getting started on a training program to be able to run my first 5K. My very good friend @Becky_44 suggested I come over and join you all. I'm being very conservative in my goals here, because this is the very first time I'm actually running. I've been walking every day since the beginning of September, and I'm actually working towards a 20 mile overnight walk in NYC in the first weekend of June, but I got turned on to possibly running to help with endurance, so here I am.

So, my goal for February is just going to be to get thru the first week of the program I'm on. I attempted the first day today, and I was able to get through half before dropping back to just walking - this represented about a mile of intervals, 2 minutes walking 1 minute running. My plan is to be able to do the whole thing, which should be about 2 miles based on what I did today, with the full 2/1 intervals, all 3 of my running days in a week, before the end of the month. I'm doing Sunday - Wednesday - Friday as my running days, with Monday -Thursday- Saturday for upper body strength training. Plus a regular routine of 11k Fitbit steps every single day inclusive of the running time.

A long term goal/hope is to be able to run the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins 6.6k Run in October.

It's great to meet you all! Becky has told me so many wonderful things about this group!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.1 km
    Feb 6 - 5.2 km
    Feb 8 - 5.3 km

Total 14.3 km
    Goal 45 km
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I was still feeling pretty beat up when I went to bed last night so I predetermined I would rest today instead of doing back to back long runs this weekend. I'm itching to get out and run today though. I'm just not sure yet if I jumped the gun on declaring a rest day or if my mind thinks it is more of a badass than my body.

@WhatMeRunning Thanks for the PB congrats!

LOL at "or if my mind thinks it is more of a badass than my body"! :) That's me too.

My hip tendon was still a little bit tender after parkrun on Saturday, but I still did a 5.3 km slow run this morning. Can feel it now, dammit. PleasebebetterbymynextscheduledrunonWednesdayIhatewaiting!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning Congrats on your race, wou ran a great time and pace! I'm going to run a race next month with a 4.7km long course. Weird distance, but now at least I know I'm not alone with an "not quite 5k" race ;-)

@7lenny7 Lol, I see you are still doing great following your "Marathon Training Suggestions" :-P The single one-foot-track sounds aweful. I hate riding a bike in that conditions (because of the nick-the-edge-and-slide effect, as well), I can see how that wouldn't be any more fun when you are running.

@annekka Heat, humidity and hills - that sounds like a combination that could mess up anyones time goals! The next race will be better, I'm sure! But regardless of the time, kudos on finishing a half marathon!

@ariceroni Wow, you can be really porund of that pace improvement ofer the last year.

@ceckhardt369 Oh wow. I've been tempted by LASIK every now and then (like, everytime my glasses or contact lenses annoy me), but I'm too chicken to let someone shoot a laser at my eyes. When I think about it, I imagine lots of horrible things that could go wrong.... That being said, I'm quite jealous every time I read someone got it done and doesn't need glasses anymore. I hope your eye doctor allows you some movement, but better a few days of extra rest than any risks to your eye sight!

@ddmom0811 Thanks for the race report, sounds like you had a good time. And congrats on the PR, awesome time!

@Elise4270 Oh no, I'm sorry to read about all the things that went wrong in your race! I hope the knee is not too bad and will heap up quickly!

@kateparry84 Congrats on your best run ever! So far - I'm sure there will be many more great runs in the future to compete with it :-) On your anemia question: I actually had a blood test done during a general checkup last december for the first time, and that showed Hemotocrite and Hemoglobine values slightly below the threshold of the "normal" range. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, I kinda knew that for years. I gave up on trying to donate blood, because they sent me home every second time due to too low Hemoglobine (Hg) values, and the other times I just barely made the cut. Other than that, I was happyly ignoring it. After that blood test I finally started taking some supplements (iron & B-vitamins, since a lack of those can apparently also cause low Hg values). But I can't tell you if it incluenced my running any, since I had low Hg before I ever started running. Also, I'm not sure it that qualifies as anemia, since I don't think I ever expirenced any symptoms. I do sometimes feel tired, but I can usually blame it on too little sleep ;)

@KnordRWMember Welcome to the group!

@michable glad to read that you got your long run in despite the weather, and that you found a hydration belt which seems to work for you. At least the first try sounds nice, after the first adjustment bit at the start of the run.

@Orphia Well done in your park run! You'll beat that 30 minute mark soon, the way you are going!

@runner_girl83 Oh no, sorry you had such a bad day. I hope you'll figure out why the ankles are troubling you, and that you find something that helps quickly.

@Wendy1Fl Those are absolutely adorable pictures. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, all the best to her and you! And of course, welcome back to this challenge, enjoy your return to the trails :-)