WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- What a beautiful story. I got all teary also. What a wonderful friend you are! A place I once boarded had a Bud bred Clydesdale mare. She was just the sweetest girl. Even though she had feet the size of dinner plates, I was never scared that she would step on me. She had an amazing sense of space. I only rode her once, walking around the ring, but what an experience.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
    janetr - you did awesome! don't compare yourself to anyone, not even me.

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh, my goodness, we had a busy weekend and I didn't check in so I ended up having to skip over a lot of posts this morning! Friday night we got dressed up on 1920's inspired outfits and attended a fundraiser for Greyhound Pets of America. It was fun, but 20's style does not exactly flatter women with any curves. Husband looked awesome, though!

We are gradually unloading the storage unit we got when we sold our house in October 2014. We knew we were moving to a temporary place so there was no point in unpacking all that stuff until we were settled somewhere. But now it's getting expensive and it's time to empty the thing. This week's big accomplishment was getting our bed moved! We've been sleeping in the guest bed, which is comfortable but I like our other one better. It's very tall and I call it the Ship of Dreams because we bought it from a neighbor complete with pirate themed bedding. Anyhow, another two or three trailer loads and we should have that unit empty and can start getting rid of stuff that doesn't fit in the new place. I'll be so glad to see the last of the monthly storage bill!

In addition to heavy lifting, I also got in a couple of nice walks with the dog. We've been enjoying very lovely spring weather here. It's too early yet to plant anything, but it's inspiring me to get some kind of garden bed ready so we can plant this year.

Wondering if anybody else uses the Map My Walk app. Since Google ditched its My Tracks app, that's what I've been using. It's OK but it is supposed to be able to synch with MFP and I have yet to get it to do that. Maybe you have to have a paid account for that to work.

That's it for today - see y'all tomorrow!

-Yvonne in TX
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone: Its a sunny day in WA!!! I have fed horses and cleaned the shelter. Also did some gardening. My DD and I discovered yesterday that the butterfly bush which is more the size of a tree is growing. They were brought to WA and have become an invasive species. they spread all over the place. This one has to go. It is situated in between two fences so cannot have neighbor pull it out with his tractor. We will somehow have to saw it down and haul it out of there. Planning to take the dog for a walk later. Spent part of yesterday cleaning and sorting tack that was left on the property or that we no longer need so that we can take it to the 4H used tack sale in two weeks.

Sylvia - Loved your Clyde story, made me teary too. I thought you were exercising in the pool at one time, maybe you need to get back to that. Did you participate in a class or swim laps? Maybe just do some water walking. Being in the water always lifts my spirits. I second the advice of others on diet advice but I would be sure to go to a Registered Dietitian not just someone who calls themselves a nutritionist. Anyone can use that title.

Pip - Love the lighted bike in the yard, that is so cool and yeah for Kirby getting on the treadmill.

Katla - Yeah for bareback and balance. Keep those heels down. Do you get any horse magazines? Horse Illustrated has a good article on getting fit for riding in the March issue.

Lenora - Not new here, been a member since August 2012. MFP was recommended by my dietitian at the time.
    I really like the program and particularly this group of ladies but lurked and did not participate much this last year as I finally retired and we sold our house in SD and moved to WA to be closer to family. Gained some weight and have taken that off plus a couple of pounds. Now that we are settled in more and things are quieter I am hoping to kick the weight loss back into gear. Spring is coming to WA with more opportunities for working and walking outside. I brought my horse with me from SD and am hoping to do a lot more riding this summer than last.

Barbie - Poor Brandy. Ginger sends lots of sympathy.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    janetr - you did awesome! don't compare yourself to anyone, not even me.

Thanks, Pip. I'm just happy that I'm back moving again. Feels good. :)

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Glad to say I am at LAST feeling better. I know it's a good thing, which is why I had it, despite seeing what DH went through, but it is not fun. :'( Arm still sore.

Yvonne - Oh my goodness, storage units! When you've got the stuff out of it you wonder what on earth you were paying out all that money for! I had mine in storage for 8 months. It was nice to see it again, but it's sooooooo expensive!

My salmon Thai curry was the biz. :D A bit hot for DH , but he suffered through it and ate it all. :laugh: Found some baby turnips lurking in the fridge where DH secreted them so tomorrow will make a lamb and turnip stew. I have to go to the dentist so can pick up some green veg in the village.

I'll have to have my alcohol free night tomorrow as I succumbed tonight. :embarassed:

Barbie - So sorry about the cone. :'(

Katla - I love your bareback riding! No reins as well.! You will have thighs of steel! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,138 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115/120, 5X5X124
    Sumo squats-5X5X109
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55, 3X5X 60, 2X5X 55
    BR- 5X5X 85
    DL-1X5X 150

I increase my weight on the squats and sumo squats today. New Max weight for those two. I ran out of energy for the OHP and was only able to lift 60 pounds for three sets.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Denise in Vermont -
    dnagel535 wrote: »
    My February goal is to Log everything and stay within my calorie count. I'm recovering from a breast reconstruction surgery that included removing fat from my stomach and I continue to have restricted movement - looking forward to being able to do "light cardio" beginning the middle of the month.

Welcome!

I would like to know when you had your surgery and how long you are not allowed to exercise. I am considering skin removal surgery and am curious about how long I will need to be off of work and away from exercise. If you would rather not answer in front of the entire group feel free to send me a private message. Of course, if you aren't comfortable talking about it at all you are always welcome to simply not answer.

Mia in MI
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA - I've not been on MFP that long; but, welcome back and hope for those who are newbies you'll let us know about yourself anyway. Married, or not; children, hobbies, etc. o:)

I've only been here since I started watching calories to lose weight in mid-May 2015. I get weigh in, tomorrow; and, I don't weigh myself at home ... just every two weeks. It will be interesting to find out how much I have lost this past 2 weeks. One day last week, it looked like I had lost about 3lbs that week. But, it might have been because of some OTC meds to help me not be sick as much; and, it worked - overtime. I probably could have had a colonoscopy afterwards. :'(

Lenora
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am back on Myfitnesspal after about a year absent. I have made a goal to eat clean for 21 days this month! It starts today, I allowed myself to get too lazy with my choices, not tracking any calories and slowing gaining weight, NO MORE! I am excited to be getting back on the bandwagon. I love how eating healthy makes me feel, and trimming a few pounds is a great side effect of that. I also love to encourage women who are having difficulties. I am blessed with the tall, slender gene (don't be a hater), not everyone is as lucky, I know!!! Let's not beat ourselves up here, it is about being healthy. Amen?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    B)annr- u should b excited cuz I am the most awesome person u will EVER visit. !!!!!!!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT...hahaha....hmmm are we too confident...naaaaa....
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options

Denise in Vermont~ Jumping in with both feet is the only way friend :-) If you jump with one foot its called limping, so... :wink: no limping! Quite an extensive surgery, so take it slow friend. (((hugs))) from Oregon!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    @CSSJ09 That is a good idea. The only problem with that is I will have to take the racket off the wall to secure the earring posts. I think I will just make a small little tennis net with two posts...and have it loose so I can reach round to get the earring post. Right now I have the racket leaning against the wall, husband says it will probably stay there for awhile...so...I have time to work this deal out. :-)
    Becca
    Ace tennis player in my head
    from
    Oregon
  • VeraWatkins1
    VeraWatkins1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Had a rough time getting started today but I got there. Didn't do my normal excercise routine. Just did my thread mill for 30 minutes, bicycling for 15 minutes and walking. I guess it was rough because it is coming up for 6 years of my mother's death next month. Getting a little sad.

Hope to do better tomorrow. Thanks

• Annr
    Options
    Penny, In my meal making I like to put two ingredients in a pan with olive oil and let them make merry and combine their flavors...keeping the heat on low.. :-) Sprinkle them with cayenne pepper, turmeric, and all-spice because those bring out everything!!
    Becca
    an Oregonian wedding planner of my food.
  • Annr
    Options
    Sylvia~ Touching story, I am crying tooooo... You were so thoughtful, to do that. Sometimes its the little things that mean the most to people, and you friend recognize that. ((hugs))
    Becca
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - I use MapMyWalk. I no longer have it set to sync to MFP because it fought with my FitBit over which was going to be in control of reporting my exercise calories.

Even though I don't watch football, I am sad that our Panthers lost. My son got home late last night so I haven't been able to see how upset he might be.

Not too much to report. I did go out with a new guy on Saturday. He was nice--not sure there will be anything there but friendship but it was fun to go out and have someone to talk to. I think I will see someone else new after next weekend--he's spent the past month in Australia on business and is coming home Sunday. He says he will need a bit to readjust from the time difference.

Someone I work with has offered to sell his truck to the boy child. He will drive it work on Wednesday so that Andrew can come look at it. I will be SO glad to have my car back full-time!

Sylvia - You are not allowed to quit! Give yourself and your doctors some time to figure things out. Sweet story about the lady and the horses!

I'm off to walk around the office for a bit to get in a few steps and to give my bursitis tormented hips some relief.

Carol in NC
  • Annr
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Struggling today! The gym kicked my butt. Usually when I have to drag myself there I start to feel energized by the time it is over. Not today! We did steps, sumo squats, calf raises three ways, squats and lunges with the Smith Machine, and leg lifts. Normally I would love this workout, but it exhausted me. Then I forced myself to do two miles with DH at home outside. I did one mile on the elliptical to warm up before my class. I don't know if I'm coming down with something, tired from an exhausting weekend with less than stellar food choices, or psychologically tired from all that I have to do later this week. I have to drive to Nashville on Thursday for a two-day conference with the woman who never shuts up and has hold me her life story 50 times. Then, I have to fill in for my pastor on Sunday. I guarantee my energy will be back when it's all over.

Thanks for letting me whine!

K
    Take time to listen to your body, it might be talking to you to slow down. You have your hands full the rest of this week....
    (nodding and listening to what you typed)....you can whine, its allowed...cutting a small slab of brie cheese with a whole wheat cracker....handing it to you. :wink:
    Becca
    being silly in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    janetr OKC~2.25 miles on the treadmill. YOU GO GIRL!!! You know if you walk on a road you might just head outta town...so be careful aiming yourself on the actual roads...just telling you....I do 1 mile and I am tired... Can I get your energy in pill form?
    Becca
    Oregon
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello again. My son and the kids just left. Boy, am I tired! My son has not touched clay in more than 20 years, and then it was just one class at the college, and he came in here and thought he could throw a beautiful bowl. Well, needless to say, he got very frustrated. He was yelling and slamming things around. He wouldn't listen to any advice, so I kept my mouth shut. Finally, he gave up on that and decided to "hand-build" a bowl. That's where you start with a slab of wet clay and form it without a wheel. Well, it turns out he had made up his mind to make a yarn bowl shaped like a specific kind of flower - a pitcher plant - which doesn't lend itself to being made with soft porcelain. So, again, he got frustrated. He ran out of oxygen twice and I had to run out to his car and get another bottle. So, he said, I'll come back tomorrow to finish it. Nope. Tomorrow I have to go to Kansas City to get my van's heater fixed. So, the next day. At least the kids will be in school on Wednesday. They were driving me nuts. All I managed to do was cater to their needs (popcorn, bananas, root beer, etc.) and fetch whatever tool my son decided he needed. We went through 50 pounds of clay, but most of it I was able to re-wedge and use for my own projects after they left. So, not much was wasted.

Luckily, the co-op meeting was cancelled for today because one of the ladies is sick (not lucky for her) so he actually had more time than he thought he would. But I can't understand why he has to get so upset about everything. The tiniest things will set him off. He was complaining that the kids schools have called him to say that the kids say he yells all the time. I believe it. But actually, he's always been very impatient, and thinks everybody is out to get him.

So, now I have to clean up and run over to the food bank for the Empty Bowls meeting. That should be more fun. Hopefully it won't last too long.

I planned to have a banana and hard boiled egg for lunch, but the kids ate all the bananas, so I just ate two hard boiled eggs. They were yummy. Soft boiled, just the way I like them. Tonight will be chicken and sweet potatoes.

Later again...

Sylvia