what do you do to lower your sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There is none that I have been able to find

If you bring the concept that there is then prove it. Because it is not a belief held by diabetes UK or the NHS or any other official body

And the Mayo clinic link says

"What's the best way to lower triglycerides?

Healthy lifestyle choices are key:

Lose weight. If you're overweight, losing 5 to 10 pounds can help lower your triglycerides. Motivate yourself by focusing on the benefits of losing weight, such as more energy and improved health.
    Cut back on calories. Remember that extra calories are converted to triglycerides and stored as fat. Reducing your calories will reduce triglycerides.
    Avoid sugary and refined foods. Simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and foods made with white flour, can increase triglycerides."

You infer a direct causation that should be available from the core body of research. I infer that sugary and refined foods are high calorific items which feeds into the second point and then in turn the first point

Anyway I have to go out in the current gale to the gym which I don't wanna do

But calories count

I have nothing to prove. I provided a link. Believe it, don't believe it. Makes no difference to me. Be careful and have fun with your workout.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?

I've had to severely limit my sugar intake due to being pre-diabetic. I'm not sure about sugars effect on high cholesterol but I can help with lowering sugar.

There's a few good videos on youtube about what sugar/glucose does to your body (I'm at work or I'd link it) so I'd start with looking those up and watching them. All carbs break down into glucose in your body. If you're eating a lot of carbs plus adding sugar to those carbs (ex: toast with jam), PLUS eating fruit, then having a glass of OJ with it you'd be eating more sugar than you realize. For most people it's completely fine to have an apple or an orange for a snack, but if your eating a sandwich with PB+jam, potatoes, rice, glasses of juice or pop, plus a bunch of fruit it really adds up. Log everything you're eating into MFP, even condiments like ketchup or relish and you'll see how much you're eating every day.

If you're not eating low carb, choose the healthiest carbs possible with lots of fiber, like oatmeal, to keep you full and you can top it with a handful of berries. Be careful about selecting bread because even bread has hidden sugar/HFCS. Choose one that's high in fiber, for ex I had some that was "sprouted" bread that was under 18g of carbs (example: http://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/7-sprouted-grains-bread). You'll quickly learn to read labels.

As far as what I'd eat instead I'd load up on more veggies and save fruit/honey as a topping, snack or a treat. Strip out all the high fructose corn syrups and any added sugars from your meals. For veggies I eat cauliflower (baked or whipped into mock "potatoes"), broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, zucchini (spiraled as "noodles"), romaine lettuce etc. If I want chocolate I choose the darkest chocolate I can find so I don't overeat it. Lindt makes one that's 90%.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?

I've had to severely limit my sugar intake due to being pre-diabetic. I'm not sure about sugars effect on high cholesterol but I can help with lowering sugar.

There's a few good videos on youtube about what sugar/glucose does to your body (I'm at work or I'd link it) so I'd start with looking those up and watching them.

I'd STRONGLY urge sticking with reputable sites like the Mayo Clinic, Harvard Nutrition, American Heart Association, MyPlate, and the NHS, none of which suggest that it's important to go low carb or cut back on fruit or intrinsic sugars/starches. They will encourage various healthy changes, such as subbing higher fiber versions of some carbs (which is a separate issue from the sugar question, which seems more related to the various cautions about excessive added sugar).
    All carbs break down into glucose in your body.

This isn't a bad thing.
    If you're eating a lot of carbs plus adding sugar to those carbs (ex: toast with jam), PLUS eating fruit, then having a glass of OJ with it you'd be eating more sugar than you realize.

This suggests that the "sugar limits" recommended include intrinsic sugar and starches, and they don't. I'd urge OP to talk to her doctor about what a good diet is and what she should be aiming for, if she has concerns that she needs to lower sugar beyond the usual or watch carbs. Typically low carb or worrying about intrinsic sugar isn't recommended to people for cholesterol issues.

On that note, here's a piece by Dr. David Katz of Yale's nutrition center (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/cholesterol-unscrambled_b_6692940.html). I don't consider Huff Post a great source, but I do consider Katz one. It's mostly about dietary cholesterol and the vindication (to a point) of eggs, but he adds:
    In my opinion, the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee is right about the absence of harm from cholesterol for the average American (although not the average hen).

But to my knowledge, they are not suggesting there is evidence of specific demonstrable benefit from eating more eggs. In contrast, we have exactly such evidence -- lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, dementia, cancer, and so on -- associated with higher intake of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds, olive oil, and fish. Why aspire to lack of harm when we have evidence that wholesome foods in sensible combinations can help us slash our lifetime risk of heart disease by some 80 percent?

Now, I'm very much pro egg (not the topic) and usually prefer them for my own purposes to steel cut oats with berries (easier to eat more protein and vegetables with the eggs, for me), but the point I'm making is that I don't see anything credible supporting the idea that people with high cholesterol should be concerned about sugar grams in general (let alone carb percentage). A healthy diet, of course, but typically whole grains, legumes, fruit, etc., are considered among foods that add to a healthy diet. (Katz would agree about the benefits of limiting added sugar and losing weight, of course, so following a diet that helps you lose.)
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lent:

For lent I'm giving up all food with additional sweeteners be they "real" or "artificial". So fruit is still fine. It'll be an interesting 40 days.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I did one month low-fat, no added salt. At the end of it we had a major crave and ordered in KFC. Oops. We had become more sensitive to the taste of foods once the extra fats and salts were removed. The KFC ended up tasting DISGUSTING afterwards.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah I wanted a real challenge this year. Last year I just gave up chocolate and that was fairly difficult all on it's own. You best bet that I'll be going into a sugar coma on Easter Sunday though.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I avoid presweetened foods; when I eat something like yogurt I'll sweeten it myself with stevia. Or Splenda, if stevia isn't available. I use a little flavoring in my water, which has artificial sweetener in it (some are available with stevia on Amazon, have tried one and it works just fine). I use stevia in my coffee and tea. I'll have a cup of sugar free Jello as a snack with lunch, and if I have the calories left I'll have a smoothie after dinner with fruit in it, and a bit of stevia to sweeten it. Other than that, no caloric sweeteners at all. I tend to run 25g to 50g per day, but includes the sugar in fruits, dairy, and vegetables (though I don't do all that much dairy these days).

What I've found is that if I gradually reduce sugar, I lose my taste for it to a certain degree. It was the same with salt. Things with a lot of sugar in them seem a lot sweeter than they used to.
  • RebelHips
    RebelHips Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I've found that when i'm craving sugar, it's really just my body needing protein. Having quick, pre-made protein snacks readily available really helps.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    Conclusion of above article from American Heart Association:
    The studies above, taken in total, indicate that high sugar intake should be avoided. Sugar has no nutritional value other than to provide calories. To improve the overall nutrient density of the diet and to help reduce the intake of excess calories, individuals should be sure foods high in added sugar are not displacing foods with essential nutrients or increasing calorie intake.

Exactly it's about excess calories and overweight

Now fair enough if cutting down on sugar means you are hitting your calorie goals and nutritional requirements

But sugar does not cause high blood cholesterol

Unless somebody has info that proves otherwise I'm sticking with the advice to lower trans and sat fats and lose weight

Lowering sugar can lower triglyceride levels, which is part of our total blood cholesterols levels.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/triglycerides/art-20048186?pg=2

Avoid sugary and refined foods. Simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and foods made with white flour, can increase triglycerides.

Direct causation or through obesity? I think that's an "empty calories" argument and whilst I clearly have no issue with people reducing sugar in order to eat more nutritious diet within a decent calorie goal I do think we shouldn't muddy the water by inferring direct causation from one food to an end result without considering the weight impact

It risks focusing on individual foods rather than overall diet

I'm all for overall diet balance and against specific food demonisation because it is partly the demonisation of food groups / foods in my own personal experience that kept me fat for decades

I think it's likely a direct cause. Thin people with poor diets often have high cholesterol.

Being aware of how certain foods affect our health is not about "demonizing" foods. It's about learning how to eat for health.

Yes thin people can have high cholesterol and science has provided a link with sat fats and trans fat to high blood cholesterol, also of course the genetic predisposition and other factors. I'm just saying I haven't seen similar research on sugar to blood cholesterol ...so please provide the peer reviewed research so that we can all learn. I would happily read and change my current thinking.

I agree on the importance learning about how to eat for overall nutritional balance, but believe it important to differentiate that from unproven links. There is enough that has valued research and future investment in research

I truly believe that people should go with the best science has to offer us at the present time, keep an eye on how the research is moving ...and avoid all the fads and media exposes for our maximum health

The more we can destroy the multi million health and fitness industry of woo and derp (oh yes I used those words) the better

Saturated fat has been 'demonized' for decades, why is that ok for you to repeat this without actual real science?

What is already known on this topic
    Contrary to prevailing dietary advice, authors of a recent systematic review and meta-analyses claim that there is no excess cardiovascular risk associated with intake of saturated fat, and the US has recently taken policy action to remove partially hydrogenated vegetable oils from its food supply

Population health guidelines require a careful review and assessment of the evidence of harms of these nutrients, with a focus on replacement nutrients

What this study adds
    This study reviewed prospective observational studies and assessed the certainty of the associations with GRADE methods

There was no association between saturated fats and health outcomes in studies where saturated fat generally replaced refined carbohydrates, but there was a positive association between total trans fatty acids and health outcomes

Dietary guidelines for saturated and trans fatty acids must carefully consider the effect of replacement nutrients

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3978
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    From American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp#.VrkA9oQ-CT8

Getting too much added sugar in your diet could significantly increase your risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, according to a study published in April 2014.

According to the study published in JAMA: Internal Medicine, those who got 17 to 21 percent of calories from added sugar had a 38 percent higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease compared to those who consumed 8 percent of their calories from added sugar. The study factored in some sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics such as age, ethnicity, level of schooling, smoking, medication use, and others. The relative risk was more than double for those who consumed 21 percent or more of their calories from added sugar.

Added sugars are sugars and syrups that are added to foods or beverages when they’re processed or prepared.

Please go to http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573 for more info of the study that was published in the Journal American Medicine Association, An international peer-reviewed general medical journal.

To clarify article not about healthy carbs such as fruits, beans, starchy vegetables.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    From American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp#.VrkA9oQ-CT8

Getting too much added sugar in your diet could significantly increase your risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, according to a study published in April 2014.

According to the study published in JAMA: Internal Medicine, those who got 17 to 21 percent of calories from added sugar had a 38 percent higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease compared to those who consumed 8 percent of their calories from added sugar. The study factored in some sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics such as age, ethnicity, level of schooling, smoking, medication use, and others. The relative risk was more than double for those who consumed 21 percent or more of their calories from added sugar.

Added sugars are sugars and syrups that are added to foods or beverages when they’re processed or prepared.

Please go to http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573 for more info of the study that was published in the Journal American Medicine Association, An international peer-reviewed general medical journal.

To clarify article not about healthy carbs such as fruits, beans, starchy vegetables.

The problem is that excess added sugar is, of course, associated with excess weight and excess weight is associated with cardiovascular disease. This doesn't answer the question of whether excess added sugar would be associated with cardiovascular disease when controlling for weight. (I'm open to the idea it is, and try not to eat excess added sugar myself, on average, for a variety of reasons, but this does not answer that question.)

Edit: actually I see they tried to control for that, but there remain some lingering issues worthy of further study, including the fact that they have to rely on the NHANES, which isn't all that accurate (and the study acknowledges the shortcomings).

Another interesting bit is that the higher added sugar levels are found in those with lots of other risk factors (like low activity, poor overall diet) and, interestingly, non-white persons. Why that's interesting is (a) of course there are other factors relating to what is already known to be a higher tendency to CVD, AND (b) some other studies suggest that African Americans may be more honest in these types of studies (for example, it appears that the assessments of obesity rate by state are off because African Americans are less apt to lie about their weights, on average). As a result, the midwest may actually be fatter than the south, despite prior reporting to the contrary. So if AA's are more inclined to CVD and also admit to sugar intake more readily than other groups, that would distort the study. These things are always so hard to figure out, although I certainly see no reason not to just focus on what we know is a nutrient-rich, sensible diet anyway, which would mean limiting added sugar.

Also, sat fat of course has the same association. See also: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/study-saturated-fat-as-ba_b_5507184.html and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/03/19/dietary-fat-and-heart-disease-study-is-seriously-misleading/ and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-fats/

Walter Willett:
    Saturated fat is less healthy, since it raises “bad” cholesterol in the blood. We can’t completely eliminate saturated fat from our diets, though, because foods that are rich in healthy fats also contain a little bit of saturated fat. The best strategy is to limit foods that are very high in saturated fat, such as butter, cheese, and red meat, and replace them with foods that are high in healthy fats, such as plant oils, nuts, and fish. An alternative approach is to just use a very small amount of full-fat cheese, butter, cream, or red meat in dishes that emphasize plant foods such as vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    RebelHips wrote: »
    As a vegetarian, I've found that when i'm craving sugar, it's really just my body needing protein. Having quick, pre-made protein snacks readily available really helps.

You hit the nail on the head. We rarely ate meat at our house for many years and I had HUGE sugar cravings. Making sure I get enough protein every day (I aim for 20% of calories) has wiped out those cravings.

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    RebelHips wrote: »

This is a great tip!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    Opinions? Methods?

As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I found I routinely went above MFP's default goal for sugar - usually substantially over - just via the inherent sugar in no-sugar-added dairy and fruit (at non-ridiculous fruit consumption, like around 3 servings a day, none of them juice). The only added sugar I was eating then was a tablespoon of all-fruit spread to sweeten my oatmeal (it has a bit of apple juice concentrate in it, which is added sugar). (Yes folks, this is accurate. I'm very aware of food ingredients, and eat mostly one-ingredient foods I prepare myself.)

What did I do about going over MFP's default sugar goal? I stopped including sugar on my diary display, and replaced it with a column for tracking fiber. ;)

In your case, if the problem is an attachment to sweets that aren't very nutrient dense (cookies, candy, cake, etc.), this is something I had adjusted in my own eating well before losing weight. Everyone's different, but what helped me was consciously trying to increase my whole-fruit consumption to about 3 servings per day. That helped me reduce my cravings for less-nutrient-dense sweets. I may eat less fruit than that on average now, but it got me over the habit/cravings hump at a point in time. Now, heading into maintenance weight, I still eat very little added sugar.

I had high cholesterol, too: In late 2014, my cholesterol was 230, and my triglycerides were 193. In late 2015, 54 pounds down, my cholesterol was 176 and my triglycerides 82 - solidly in the normal range. HDL was up from 45 to 65, ratio down from 5.1 to 2.7, LDL down from 146 to 95, VLDL down from 39 to 16.

I had brought my levels down a bit by changing what I ate without losing weight (in early 213, they were cholesterol 253 / triglycerides 402!). But weight loss was what really brought the blood-test results . . . and lots of other improvements, too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Conclusion of above article from American Heart Association:
    The studies above, taken in total, indicate that high sugar intake should be avoided. Sugar has no nutritional value other than to provide calories. To improve the overall nutrient density of the diet and to help reduce the intake of excess calories, individuals should be sure foods high in added sugar are not displacing foods with essential nutrients or increasing calorie intake.

Exactly it's about excess calories and overweight

Now fair enough if cutting down on sugar means you are hitting your calorie goals and nutritional requirements

But sugar does not cause high blood cholesterol

Unless somebody has info that proves otherwise I'm sticking with the advice to lower trans and sat fats and lose weight

Lowering sugar can lower triglyceride levels, which is part of our total blood cholesterols levels.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/triglycerides/art-20048186?pg=2

Avoid sugary and refined foods. Simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and foods made with white flour, can increase triglycerides.

Direct causation or through obesity? I think that's an "empty calories" argument and whilst I clearly have no issue with people reducing sugar in order to eat more nutritious diet within a decent calorie goal I do think we shouldn't muddy the water by inferring direct causation from one food to an end result without considering the weight impact

It risks focusing on individual foods rather than overall diet

I'm all for overall diet balance and against specific food demonisation because it is partly the demonisation of food groups / foods in my own personal experience that kept me fat for decades

I think it's likely a direct cause. Thin people with poor diets often have high cholesterol.

Being aware of how certain foods affect our health is not about "demonizing" foods. It's about learning how to eat for health.

Yes thin people can have high cholesterol and science has provided a link with sat fats and trans fat to high blood cholesterol, also of course the genetic predisposition and other factors. I'm just saying I haven't seen similar research on sugar to blood cholesterol ...so please provide the peer reviewed research so that we can all learn. I would happily read and change my current thinking.

I agree on the importance learning about how to eat for overall nutritional balance, but believe it important to differentiate that from unproven links. There is enough that has valued research and future investment in research

I truly believe that people should go with the best science has to offer us at the present time, keep an eye on how the research is moving ...and avoid all the fads and media exposes for our maximum health

The more we can destroy the multi million health and fitness industry of woo and derp (oh yes I used those words) the better

Saturated fat has been 'demonized' for decades, why is that ok for you to repeat this without actual real science?

What is already known on this topic
    Contrary to prevailing dietary advice, authors of a recent systematic review and meta-analyses claim that there is no excess cardiovascular risk associated with intake of saturated fat, and the US has recently taken policy action to remove partially hydrogenated vegetable oils from its food supply

Population health guidelines require a careful review and assessment of the evidence of harms of these nutrients, with a focus on replacement nutrients

What this study adds
    This study reviewed prospective observational studies and assessed the certainty of the associations with GRADE methods

There was no association between saturated fats and health outcomes in studies where saturated fat generally replaced refined carbohydrates, but there was a positive association between total trans fatty acids and health outcomes

Dietary guidelines for saturated and trans fatty acids must carefully consider the effect of replacement nutrients

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3978

That's an interesting meta analysis...thanks for the link I look forward to delving in

I think you misread the conclusion though it says the evidence re sat fats is not uniform

"Conclusions Saturated fats are not associated with all cause mortality, CVD, CHD, ischemic stroke, or type 2 diabetes, but the evidence is heterogeneous with methodological limitations. Trans fats are associated with all cause mortality, total CHD, and CHD mortality, probably because of higher levels of intake of industrial trans fats than ruminant trans fats. Dietary guidelines must carefully consider the health effects of recommendations for alternative macronutrients to replace trans fats and saturated fats."
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I am sugar agnostic. I just don't love it personally. I eat 3-4 veggies to every single serving of fruit. My favorite fruits are tomatoes & avocados. I make my own salad dressings, pasta sauces, enchilada sauces, sloppy joe base, etc from scratch because lots of stupid sugars lurk in commercially prepared versions. If I want a dessert I generally go for very dark chocolate. Just those little things alone keep my sugars low without really trying. Yes, I do eat birthday cake, holiday pie and an occasional scoop of ice cream. But most days I don't even think about them. Oh, I love a diet soda now and again. But even my favorite diet soda, Coke Zero, is known for being less sweet than average.

ALL of this. I especially like the veggie: fruit rule. 10-a-day does not mean 9 fruits and one veggie...really, we should be aiming for something closer to the opposite.

It's really not too challenging if you cook from scratch. In years of tracking, I think that I've only gone over the sugar recommendation once.
  • Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    To answer the original question, what I did was eat less and be more mindful of high cal sweets I was eating. By my fattest I was just eating whatever sweet (or other extra food) showed up at my office, with the idea that I was stressed and deserved it or even "if it's there, I should eat it." (Sugar wasn't really my main issue, but I was still eating too much stuff without thinking about how it added up.) I still eat stuff like ice cream, but now only in a planned way -- a sensible amount after dinner or instead, maybe a bit of high quality chocolate (or some cheese instead) -- and don't eat food I don't even care much about just because it's there. When food shows up at work, I eat it only if I judge it worth the calories and as a trade-off with something else (like the ice cream after dinner).

I am not concerned about sugar from fruit, veg, or dairy. I'd only stress about fruit if I was eating so much I was going over calories or not getting enough protein or vegetables.

Beyond that, I looked at my sugar total and what it came from. Mine is usually fine (based on what I'm looking for), but if it were surprisingly high on a regular basis I'd look at what it was from and lower my consumption of those foods, if I thought the sugar/cals were too high. I usually don't get much so-called hidden sugar, but I know granola bars and the like can have a bunch and sometimes people don't realize it (although they are sweet, so it seems unsurprising).

On the whole, for the question "how to lower X" I think MFP provides an easy way -- see where it's coming from and what you are willing to eat less of or substitute for something else, what's not really worth it or just an unthinking choice.

Thanks for the response! I have the same problem with too much goodies at work.. and a vending machine
  • jikijo
    jikijo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not implicated in high cholesterol ..it's sat fat

Look at The Meditterranean or DASH diet

• jikijo
    jikijo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jikijo wrote: »

Your wrong about this. Sugar is implicated in heart disease. If we lower our roaming glucose we reduce damage to our arteries which cause inflammation. Then cholesterol passes cleanly through the arteries. Look into LCHF or ketogenic diet. Cut all sugar and most carbs. After the initial addiction withdrawal period the sweet cravings disappear. I have been ketogenic for aprox 2 months. I was 189. Now 168. I am diabetic but no longer taking meds because my blood sugars are always level. No ups ups and downs=no sugar/carb crashes=no sugar/carb cravings=reduced hunger and appetite.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Your wrong about this. Sugar is implicated in heart disease. If we lower our roaming glucose we reduce damage to our arteries which cause inflammation. Then cholesterol passes cleanly through the arteries. Look into LCHF or ketogenic diet. Cut all sugar and most carbs. After the initial addiction withdrawal period the sweet cravings disappear. I have been ketogenic for aprox 2 months. I was 189. Now 168. I am diabetic but no longer taking meds because my blood sugars are always level. No ups ups and downs=no sugar/carb crashes=no sugar/carb cravings=reduced hunger and appetite.

Interesting. I googled, and found "New Evidence Of How High Glucose Damages Blood Vessels Could Lead To New Treatments" in Science Daily, but this refers only to diabetics (whose blood glucose levels are no longer being promptly reduced by insulin). http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090511140951.htm