K, who has great protein intake and an open diary?

2»

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    That's a perfectly fair trade for 90g of protein imho. I'm not opposed to doing that for breakfast. Could you link me a website or even just the actual name (brand and all) of that one please?

ETA: if I could get 90 from a shake in the morning, I can easily attain the other 30 I'm wanting through regular food the rest of the day.

Mine is a Northern European brand so I'm not sure of all the varieties that are available to you, but I did look through Amazon quickly and found this one http://www.amazon.com/100%-Pure-Protein-grams-Pwdr/dp/B0017OFSDW/ref=sr_1_19?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454995820&sr=1-19&keywords=pea+protein which seems pretty close with 17g protein for 20g at 80 calories. So maybe try that or something similar? They all seem to have pretty different stats and this one's especially high in protein. o:)

Mine is also unflavored and it doesn't taste bad or anything just like that. I was pretty pleased with just the plain flavor. (Wouldn't have guessed!)

Be honest, does it make you gassy? I'm using organic rawmeal (plant based) protein and also pea blend protein and it makes me gassy sometimes
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Sometime if I don't have protein powder, I eat a can of plain water packed tuna.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'll also be buying some protein powder today. Luckily this is Colorado, one of the healthiest states in the union, so I'm not long away from like fifty places that stock protein and other dietary supplements... Google says there are 3 different GNC's within 3 miles of my house. Colorado ladies and gentlemen. (GNC is too expensive though, but I'm sure one of these other 9 places will do)
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    fit and light greek yogurt has 12 grams of protein for only 80 calories and no artificial sweeteners.

lentils are great - if you cook them right they should not cause gas (but everyone's different, so who knows.)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,694 Member
    Mine's only open to friends (feel free to friend me), but I'm getting around 100g most days from ovo-lacto sources, on 1700 calories net, with no bars, shakes, protein powder, or fake meat. (It does include a good bit of dairy, such as daily Greek yogurt.)

One thing that helps a little, IMO, is the little bits of protein one can get from placing priority on protein from sources beyond that "one main protein" people usually put in a meal. For example, for crunch on a salad, nuts or seeds instead of croutons/oil, dress the salad with a yogurt or blended cottage cheese option, breads with more protein rather than less (I like the Ezekiel sprouted-grain ones), or veggies with a little protein rather than none. These tend to be lower-quality sources (in terms of amino acid completeness), but mixing them up helps somewhat. It's surprising how 2 grams here & 5 grams there will add up in a day.

Some specific foods:
    • Banza chickpea pasta isn't too bad (acceptable texture, slightly flat taste that perks up with a flavorful sauce) - much higher in protein than wheat pasta - 14g per 2oz dry);
    • I like whole soy sources like tempeh, edamame, or dry-roasted soy nuts;
    • crispy chickpeas as a snack (I like Saffron Road brand);
    • Indian puppodums (I like Sharwood's, and microwave them without added oil - very salty, though);
    • many people hate bean pasta, but I do like Explore Asian edamame/mung fettuccine (24g protein in 2oz dry) in peanut sauce (made with PB2 & chile sauce, usually) or soy/sesame/brown rice vinegar with veggie (because it's more vegetal-tasting & chewier than wheat pasta, I don't like it in Italian-style or cheese sauces, but I've known some folks who do).
    You may've seen it since you've been around here for a while, but I love love love the spreadsheet linked in this thread, too: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It's a good source to browse for ideas that might not otherwise occur to you.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Greek yogurt, tuna, egg whites
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mine's only open to friends (feel free to friend me), but I'm getting around 100g most days from ovo-lacto sources, on 1700 calories net, with no bars, shakes, protein powder, or fake meat. (It does include a good bit of dairy, such as daily Greek yogurt.)

One thing that helps a little, IMO, is the little bits of protein one can get from placing priority on protein from sources beyond that "one main protein" people usually put in a meal. For example, for crunch on a salad, nuts or seeds instead of croutons/oil, dress the salad with a yogurt or blended cottage cheese option, breads with more protein rather than less (I like the Ezekiel sprouted-grain ones), or veggies with a little protein rather than none. These tend to be lower-quality sources (in terms of amino acid completeness), but mixing them up helps somewhat. It's surprising how 2 grams here & 5 grams there will add up in a day.

Some specific foods:
    • Banza chickpea pasta isn't too bad (acceptable texture, slightly flat taste that perks up with a flavorful sauce) - much higher in protein than wheat pasta - 14g per 2oz dry);
    • I like whole soy sources like tempeh, edamame, or dry-roasted soy nuts;
    • crispy chickpeas as a snack (I like Saffron Road brand);
    • Indian puppodums (I like Sharwood's, and microwave them without added oil - very salty, though);
    • many people hate bean pasta, but I do like Explore Asian edamame/mung fettuccine (24g protein in 2oz dry) in peanut sauce (made with PB2 & chile sauce, usually) or soy/sesame/brown rice vinegar with veggie (because it's more vegetal-tasting & chewier than wheat pasta, I don't like it in Italian-style or cheese sauces, but I've known some folks who do).
    You may've seen it since you've been around here for a while, but I love love love the spreadsheet linked in this thread, too: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It's a good source to browse for ideas that might not otherwise occur to you.

That's cool thank you:)

ETA: Sign me up for the lobster!
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    I'm pretty picky when it comes to bars. The Pure Protein bars (i've only found them at wal-mart around here) are pretty awesome. The chocolate chip one has 20g of protein and seriously tastes like a candy bar.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    I'm pretty picky when it comes to bars. The Pure Protein bars (i've only found them at wal-mart around here) are pretty awesome. The chocolate chip one has 20g of protein and seriously tastes like a candy bar.

I like them too, I'm looking a little harder at their shake though. More bang for the buck. Or rather, more protein for the calorie count.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    That's a perfectly fair trade for 90g of protein imho. I'm not opposed to doing that for breakfast. Could you link me a website or even just the actual name (brand and all) of that one please?

ETA: if I could get 90 from a shake in the morning, I can easily attain the other 30 I'm wanting through regular food the rest of the day.

Mine is a Northern European brand so I'm not sure of all the varieties that are available to you, but I did look through Amazon quickly and found this one http://www.amazon.com/100%-Pure-Protein-grams-Pwdr/dp/B0017OFSDW/ref=sr_1_19?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454995820&sr=1-19&keywords=pea+protein which seems pretty close with 17g protein for 20g at 80 calories. So maybe try that or something similar? They all seem to have pretty different stats and this one's especially high in protein. o:)

Mine is also unflavored and it doesn't taste bad or anything just like that. I was pretty pleased with just the plain flavor. (Wouldn't have guessed!)

Be honest, does it make you gassy? I'm using organic rawmeal (plant based) protein and also pea blend protein and it makes me gassy sometimes

There's only one vegetable I know of that I have some digestive issues with. It's my nemesis but I still eat it sometimes out of spite. :D