No posts about alcohol consumption on here?

Options

Replies

• Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    And people say sugar is the devil. <shakes head>

They can both kill you unfortunately.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Lets hope these suggestions serve lurkers who may be negotiating their weekly alcohol consumption! The OP already did say he's not interested in changing his drinking patterns

I said I didn't want to stop as I see no need to other than the fitness thing, which is purely aesthetic. Just was asking if anyone found greater success with drinking+fitness is all. This was never meant to be an alcoholic/living standard/true happiness post... I have plenty of fun and don't do any of these "destructive" things others have talked about. I will stop at some point. It would be cool to know the number of drinks it took to black out tho. Perhaps an experiment is called for

Fitness in not purely aesthetic, dear. It's representative of your life. You sound like an intelligent person, so I am sure you've googled why you black out and what it can do to your brain, permanently. So, maybe youre not dependent, as you seem to believe. You should research how a sufficiently high blood alcohol level can leave you comatose and/or in respiratory failure. How about Friday?

As far as your promise that you don't drive while intoxicated, how can you know for sure that you won't? Black out just means you don't remember what you did when you lost the capacity to make good decisions. Could you live with yourself if you killed someone? It's absolutely heartbreaking that this is fun to you. How about this. Just drink slower. No shots. Blackouts stem from a sudden spike in blood alcohol. I wish you well.

Hey thanks. I've been borderline comatose once. Meh. It's hard to explain, like I know everything that I am doing that night but then the next day I think to myself "the *kitten* just happened in the latter portions of the evening"haha. After all these messages and stuff no matter how absurdly, over-the-top morbid some responses have been...I am going to attempt to pace meself, depending on how it goes try to cut out a day or two also. Oh and I know fitness is not purely aesthetic, that is my main concern however, perhaps a bit vain or superficial or whatever, but oh well...not trying to live until 120 or win the Tour de France.

doesnt the drinking interfer with your complexion?
    look after yourself, its all written as light hearted, but you dont want to regret later.

Nah complexion is solid no anomalies or anything of that nature and I'm outside all summer so typically tan during those months. Thank you, I will keep an eye on me.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    drinking to the point of blacking out means that first, you need help with a drinking problem, then, you can work on your weight...your drinking problem is a "confounding variable" that will prevent you from making long term sustainable changes to your weight (among many other things)...seek professional or group/community help for your drinking, come back to us later.
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I blacked out once and haven't drank alcohol since. Mind you that was only last October...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just blacking out one night a week instead of three.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I drink every weekend. Wine sometimes with dinner. Personally, it goes right through me and I never notice *too much* of a difference. When I turned 21 all my friends commented on how I was the only person who could turn 21 and go out drinking every weekend and somehow end up skinnier than before. Tips: avoid the "drunk munchies" and eat healthy, low-cal yet filling foods throughout the day if you know you are going out at night.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I can't really say anything that someone else hasn't said. I will however, offer my support. I quit drinking January 4th and haven't touched anything since. I had a pretty serious drinking habit (couple of bottles of vodka a week not including what I drank when I went out). It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been as hard as I anticipated. I'm not saying I'll never drink again, but I won't drink until I feel I can do it in moderation.

I sincerely wish you luck, alcohol is a mean b!tch.

Yes but as most mean *kitten* they are a fun time if not in constant interaction with them.

From reading your responses in this thread, all I see are attempts to rationalize what you're doing. You've said yourself that you're not ready to quit and if that's the case, nothing anybody says here is going to do any good or make any sense to you. Some people learn the easy way, some people learn the hard way, some people never learn.

I again have created a confusing post I think. I was more or less looking for ways to drink and not gain "as much" body fat or lose "as much" muscle. I have gotten some valid ideas here on how to do that...don't know if they will work or not but I'm down to try and see....I think some peeps assumed that I thought I had some sort of problem and wanted to rid myself completely of the Devils sauce which was not my intention, still cool of everyone to help out tho and offer opinions. Interesting stuff.

You are missing the concern that we are trying to express. Your fitness or weight will not matter when you are a slobbering wheelchair bound invalid near death.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I can't really say anything that someone else hasn't said. I will however, offer my support. I quit drinking January 4th and haven't touched anything since. I had a pretty serious drinking habit (couple of bottles of vodka a week not including what I drank when I went out). It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been as hard as I anticipated. I'm not saying I'll never drink again, but I won't drink until I feel I can do it in moderation.

I sincerely wish you luck, alcohol is a mean b!tch.

Yes but as most mean *kitten* they are a fun time if not in constant interaction with them.

From reading your responses in this thread, all I see are attempts to rationalize what you're doing. You've said yourself that you're not ready to quit and if that's the case, nothing anybody says here is going to do any good or make any sense to you. Some people learn the easy way, some people learn the hard way, some people never learn.

I again have created a confusing post I think. I was more or less looking for ways to drink and not gain "as much" body fat or lose "as much" muscle. I have gotten some valid ideas here on how to do that...don't know if they will work or not but I'm down to try and see....I think some peeps assumed that I thought I had some sort of problem and wanted to rid myself completely of the Devils sauce which was not my intention, still cool of everyone to help out tho and offer opinions. Interesting stuff.

Be careful, your immaturity is showing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you are worried about your fitness, and the fact of the matter is that this black out drinking is impeding your fitness. it will kill you and then you don't have to worry about fitness.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't get why you are interested in health and nutrition or putting on weight - what do you want to be? a slim version of someone most people ignore?
    Seems like he wants to be a skinny corpse.

Could save a bit on the coffin.

Always looking for some extra money to save.

Well quitting drinking would probably save you quite a LOT of money.

You could save yourself the trouble, take half your pay check, light it on fire, then hit yourself over the head.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you aren't the only one, but it's not exactly a healthy choice, which most people on MFP are striving to make. Personally, I do not drink to "blackout drunk", but I do find it good to only drink on the weekends. I enjoy having a glass of wine or two a night, but I don't need the calories, so I only partake on the weekends, and then still staying within calories goals mostly. I find I almost always have excess calories during the week now and don't have to feel so bad about a little splurge.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Snow3y wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I 'black out' but I do enjoy my alcohol on weekends too :) I don't enjoy having so much that I'm not in control of myself, or that I'd make a fool of myself. So I know my limits for each night.

Right on. I need to find out what number of drinks gets me there, cause I rarely feel drunk...think I breeze right past that feeling haha.

Perhaps this would be a slightly better science experiment: For the next outing or few, try to pace yourself, maybe drink water heavily alongside the alcohol to minimize the dehydration, and strive to consciously assess how you feel and behave at each stage. Perhaps you can find a point that is still "fun", but not quite so self-destructive.

And I still think there's some denial in your responses. You say your main desire is aesthetic - I assume you mean you want to look good/attractive. Be aware that your body is accumulating the insults in some respects, only to display them externally later. By that time, they may not be fully reversible (wrinkling, general skin quality like youthful elasticity, etc.). Next time you're at a bar, look around you. Chat to some guys who are on your path but are 5 or 10 years older (chat so you can maybe really learn their age). The results could be sobering, literally.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Obviously you need a deficit to loose weight. SO if you log your drinks, you probably won't be able to eat anything in order to get that deficit. So, technically, you could drink a lot but I think it will be hard to have the energy to workout. I drink - but I log my drinks. 6 beer is 900 calories, thats a lot of food I could have had to replenish my body. Anyway, good luck on your journey.. hopefully you can focus more on healthy habits as you get older. A close family member of mine now has an enlarged heart surrounded by fluid... and she's only 35...from alcoholism and she's been sober for 3 months (in rehab). Could be fatal... but you don't need to know about that. Everyone here has already said their part. Log ahead of time - curious to know how many calories you consume for those 3 days.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Obviously you need a deficit to loose weight. SO if you log your drinks, you probably won't be able to eat anything in order to get that deficit. So, technically, you could drink a lot but I think it will be hard to have the energy to workout. I drink - but I log my drinks. 6 beer is 900 calories, thats a lot of food I could have had to replenish my body. Anyway, good luck on your journey.. hopefully you can focus more on healthy habits as you get older. A close family member of mine now has an enlarged heart surrounded by fluid... and she's only 35...from alcoholism and she's been sober for 3 months (in rehab). Could be fatal... but you don't need to know about that. Everyone here has already said their part. Log ahead of time - curious to know how many calories you consume for those 3 days.

It's gotta be a lot of calories, Prob about 2400 cals a day. I have still managed to lose a percent or so of body fat each week since I started cutting. The goal is to get to 9% at about 15% now so we shall see. So monitoring the consumption I'm hoping does the trick. I have no doubt I'll still run a surplus 1 or 2 of those days tho. Sorry to hear about your family member. I'll pray she's okay.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Snow3y wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I 'black out' but I do enjoy my alcohol on weekends too :) I don't enjoy having so much that I'm not in control of myself, or that I'd make a fool of myself. So I know my limits for each night.

Right on. I need to find out what number of drinks gets me there, cause I rarely feel drunk...think I breeze right past that feeling haha.

Perhaps this would be a slightly better science experiment: For the next outing or few, try to pace yourself, maybe drink water heavily alongside the alcohol to minimize the dehydration, and strive to consciously assess how you feel and behave at each stage. Perhaps you can find a point that is still "fun", but not quite so self-destructive.

And I still think there's some denial in your responses. You say your main desire is aesthetic - I assume you mean you want to look good/attractive. Be aware that your body is accumulating the insults in some respects, only to display them externally later. By that time, they may not be fully reversible (wrinkling, general skin quality like youthful elasticity, etc.). Next time you're at a bar, look around you. Chat to some guys who are on your path but are 5 or 10 years older (chat so you can maybe really learn their age). The results could be sobering, literally.

Your first paragraph I like and plan on trying. The second one sounds too morbid, I'm not trying to talk to wrinkly dudes at a bar to *kitten* my life. I do know continual heavy drinking will lead to serious health effects tho...unfortunately.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't get why you are interested in health and nutrition or putting on weight - what do you want to be? a slim version of someone most people ignore?
    Seems like he wants to be a skinny corpse.

Could save a bit on the coffin.

Always looking for some extra money to save.

Well quitting drinking would probably save you quite a LOT of money.

You could save yourself the trouble, take half your pay check, light it on fire, then hit yourself over the head.

Haha yeah suppose you are correct. You are correct it is about as expensive as a hobby as I have. Luckily it's usually the cheap stuff though. I stay away from the top shelf booze.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    I would suggest just blacking out one night a week instead of three.

This is a solid yet practical idea. One of the best ideas as of yet.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    I drink every weekend. Wine sometimes with dinner. Personally, it goes right through me and I never notice *too much* of a difference. When I turned 21 all my friends commented on how I was the only person who could turn 21 and go out drinking every weekend and somehow end up skinnier than before. Tips: avoid the "drunk munchies" and eat healthy, low-cal yet filling foods throughout the day if you know you are going out at night.

That is a good trait to have. I would imagine it makes it difficult to get drunk though haha
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    I blacked out once and haven't drank alcohol since. Mind you that was only last October...

Oh man. Well blackouts effect us all differently I suppose.