WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    otlw8jgbhlz4.jpeg
    Good morning ladies! Well the plow just went by and some cars can make it down the street but I cannot get out of driveway yet so at least for now I get to spend the morning with lots of guys. DH working from home, plumber hopefully coming to fix backed up sink and Old Faithful faucet and the driveway plow person. A foot more expected so I may not make it in to work at all.
    Welcome to the new ladies! This is a great bunch of lovely people!
    Made it the the Y yesterday. Does anybody here do Tai Chi? I am wondering if yoga or Tai Chi is preferred for flexibility. I need to do some good stretching exercises.
    Betty in WNY
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth time to look back at your logging to see why you may be gaining rather than just maintaining. I know myself, I am stuck on a plateau and am slipping in being really accurate (okay, I am lying or omitting when I log!!! >:) ) So, combine all the stress you are going through, the toughest part of winter and maybe a few too many holiday nibbles, or extra helping of comfort food and voila, the scale is moving again in the direction you don't want it to!!!

I am only saying this, cause I need a boot!!! Went to the grocery store and bought a cauliflower to make something creative, I don't love cauliflower but I hear it is tasty when you roast it, and I love roasted brussel sprouts so I thought I would give that a try. I am remembering my goal to be one size smaller at dd high school graduation and looking at the calendar for inspiration, and yes, a little more motivation cause spring is a coming no matter how cold it feels right now, she's gonna be marching down that aisle and I want to feel and look fit and trim as I cheer her on!

I am working from home alone this week, I like a quiet house, I like puttering, slept in fits and starts without DH but I get to keep the thermostat where I like it 68o and not touching it! Whoohoo, it is very comfortable, my DH loves a super hot house, I mean like 78o crazy hot, I have to wear a t-shirt, shorts and barefeet in the winter!!!

Karen from NY
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Well boss man just called. No work till noon at the earliest!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Katla- prayers for your DH today. You are right that he needs to get it done. (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria: DS and DDIL lived in Lacey for a few years. I loved the convenience of visiting them there and liked Lacey. I think they did, too. I hope you'll all be very happy there. :flowerforyou:

Joanne: Welcome to a great group! :flowerforyou:

Beth: Your snowy street looks beautiful and staying inside is a great plan. :flowerforyou:

Mary: Thanks for the good wishes. :heart:

I heard DH make a noise and will go up and see if I'm needed. I just made a pot of coffee and it was weak and yucky. I looked, and the brew setting somehow got changed from strong to medium. Yuck. I'm trying an experiment, running the brewed coffee back through the system a second time. I wonder how big a mistake that will turn out to be. I may be relying on hospital coffee. :grumble: I hope the rest of the day goes better. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Beth time to look back at your logging to see why you may be gaining rather than just maintaining. I know myself, I am stuck on a plateau and am slipping in being really accurate (okay, I am lying or omitting when I log!!! >:) ) So, combine all the stress you are going through, the toughest part of winter and maybe a few too many holiday nibbles, or extra helping of comfort food and voila, the scale is moving again in the direction you don't want it to!!

Karen from NY

Spot on! Not rocket science to figure out why the weight is coming back on. Getting my focus back seems to be the problem!

Exercise calories ... I do know this ... When I started eating them back is also when my weight started creeping up again. So the math is obviously wrong in my case.

Katla ... Good luck today. You commented on Betty's photo. This is the view from my front window (still snowing).

hnf33b77bwm8.jpeg

Staying home today as I accidentally worked on my paid holiday yesterday... The joy of a flexible job.

Beth near Buffalo

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just popping in for a moment. Yesterday I was feeling lousy so stayed on the couch all day which I allowed myself since it was a crazy busy weekend. I'm getting back on track today and am about to go do my exercise then prep for two phone interviews today.

I'm reading the latest book by Christiane Northrup and wanted to share a few quotes from the book:
    "The anti-aging prescription is to love life, try new things, and savor your experiences."

"Agelessness means you make your decisions based not on a fear of looking foolish, but on feeling comfortable in your body and being keenly interested in the world around you"

"There's no better way to suck up your vital energy than to try and prove to everyone that you are a good mother, good neighbor, good daughter and so on. Accept yourself absolutely and unconditionally. It's one of the most radical acts you can do in an insane culture that actually profits from your self-loathing".

Kimses in MA

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kimses thanks for the quotes. Love them.

Janetr
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I too, am being "unfaithful" to myself in tracking. Time to get myself back to where I was and track everything that passes through my lips. Life has not slowed down any for me - working full time, caring for my elderly mom and MIL, and now DOS and DDIL have went to TX for the next week due to her step-dad's critical illness. Of course, we have the 4 and 5 year old grand-daughters. That's okay because I love those little gals!!! <3<3

I do wish that I had more time to plan my meals. That is the key for me to stay on track!! I remember an old WW group leader telling me long ago "Fail to plan, plan to fail." Truer words were never spoken.

I keep telling myself "I think I can, I think I can"! And I can! But I have found that 10 years older makes a lot of difference in my stamina. The good thing is I have heard that 55 is the new 45! hahahaha

Have a wonderful day!

Donna in cold, wet, rainy, snowy WV
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3o:)B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    MORNING peeps -

love the snow pics, I wish I had some here!

well, the tree limbs and stuff that were there are gone. a guy came over to give Kirby a bid and he took him up on it and now it's gone. the fence is being worked on. who knows how much I will have by the time I get home today. Kirby is off for the week, he is close to maxing out on vaca time so he had to use some up.

in march they are scheduling a procedure to work on his frozen shoulder, first some sort of manipulation while he's under and if that doesn't work, while he's still under, they are going to do something to remove the scar tissue that has built up (from what I understand). that should hopefully get his range of motion back. right now, pt isn't working for that. so as soon as that is done (on a Monday) he will be in a sling for 2 days then right back to PT 5 days a week. they want it to be aggressive therapy to get his shoulder back.

the spine thing is just a matter of time, there is nothing to be done, they say it can improve in 1-2 years or it will be something he will just adjust to and live with. he's more concerned about the shoulder he says.

my shoulder on the other hand I think is going good. I wish I had this pt person from the get go. she said it seems like all the others were working on my strength instead of my range of motion first (I agree). I am scheduled with her for the rest of the time. she knows her stuff, been doing it for 34years. she says I would benefit if I did another month (end of feb. is supposed to be it). when Kirby starts doing pt here I'm doing to see if I can get him scheduled with her.

it's getting close to that time to start raising money for the MS ride again. I don't know what distance Kirby will be able to do, it may be the shortest one but that's ok, we usually do the 80mi route the first day but depending on how he progresses, it may be the 22mi route this year. it's ok, no big.

type to you later.

welcome new peeps

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Goblet squats-3X7X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-17 X9X 30, 5X 10 X 30

I am feeling pretty strong at this weight so I added an extra swing to five of the sets. I will continue to do this to the rest of the sets for the next week then move up to my 35 pound kettle bell.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

Barbie- what kind of flowers do you have coming up? Are those crocus? I am a four seasons girl! I love winter; but this winter in Michigan, the weather has been so wishy-washy and not a lot of snow coverage; it has been disappointing and I am finding I am ready for warmer weather!

:) My husband told me that the cute purple flowers are crocus....our daffodil greenery is just starting to show above the dirt....I am a four seasons person and love the changes...we have had a mild winter with only a short time of really cold days and I have wished for a good snowstorm without results...there is too much evidence of spring already...I do remember snow in March here so maybe there is hope.

:)<3 I'm thinking good thoughts for all the various husbands looking at surgery today or soon.

<3 Barbie

• mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    9x5k9a68fpn9.jpg
    8oxebeepiha6.jpg
    Hi Ladies
    Just a quick note from Key West...the first pic is of my son and I and the second is my best friend and sister in law and I. Funny that most people assume we are a couple, especially as we are here over valentines! Been logging everything and ex resizing a bunch which has given me ample room with my calories. Today we are going to use adult tricycles (sorry Pip I am not steady enough on a two wheeler to maneuver through sidewalks w lots of pedestrians and the traffic is very busy and people are gawking so I don't feel safe riding in the traffic lane either) to do a ten mile loop which is HUGE for me as I don't bike at all but we will take our time and stop at vistas. Yesterday we walked over two hours and swam laps for half an hour.

Sylvia my heart is with you as you strive to rise to this challenge for your loved ones.

HAPPY BELATED VALENTINES DAY LADIES!

Love
    Mindy from Boston usually but now in the Keys
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    <3 busy day, just reading today - Have a great one everybody!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation today, trying to be a team player with my exercise class. The leader is a young mom who is very fit except for a little pooch that she cannot lose. Another woman in the class is more my age, also thin with a little pooch. I am fat all over. Perhaps I would still have a pooch after losing the rest. I don't know. I have a pretty good shape now. My stomach is not particularly bigger than anything else. My biggest problem is that my upper arms are disproportionately big for the rest of me. I have been happy with the results I have gotten already and am pretty into what we have been doing. Others in the class are in varying stages of fit.

Well. Our leader has decided that we need to suspend all weight training for two weeks and work on core. She's been reading some kind of science that says the reason she and the other lady still have their pooches is because they aren't breathing right and paying attention to their core and pelvic floor. So we are doing these exercises that concentrate on breathing. We are supposed to imagine picking up a blueberry with our nether region (sorry, TMI) while inhaling and exhaling. This week we are doing one exercise with the stability ball, glute bridge, clams, and leg lifts, concentrating on when we breathe and lifting and putting down the blueberry. We are doing 3 sets of 10 reps and that is it! We are allowed to walk, but not run or lift weights, not that I ran anyway.

Am I wrong to be unhappy? I don't see how this is going to help at all with my back fat and upper arms, but of course continued weight loss will help.

Thoughts?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    3h67uj0ipm5f.jpg

Woke up to a winter wonderland which will promptly melt by the end of the week.

#crazywinterweather2016

Cheri in NE oHIo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Been missing Lisa and Irish Terri. :o

Just done a BIG shop for the DGC. Phew! Hope I've got enough stuff! Although I had made a list I was wandering around a bit lost with my brain racing. ;) They are 4 and 2. I'm out of practice. They probably won't have any room left for food after they've eaten the biscuits we're going to make!
    For the adults I am being easy on myself. Two dinners to plan for. First night it's Chicken in Black Bean Sauce with Chinese veg stir fry. Egg noodles. Then my blood orange and Aperol sorbet that I made before. DH liked it so much he's asked me to make it again. :D Will do it tomorrow. I have bought prawns for the adults to nibble with olives while the kids are having their tea.
    Then DDIL and DS are off after croissants for breakfast to Brighton for a night in a hotel. They are scouting out suitable places to live so I suggested they make a night of it for their last treat before the 3rd baby is born. <3 Back on Saturday. I have blinis with sour cream and salmon for nibbles, then Guinea Fowl with roasted vegetables and mushy peas. Dessert is a bought Creme Brulee. :noway: This is unheard of for me, but I am practising my mantra DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :laugh: Of course, I will have moderate portions of protein and vegetables and maybe a taste of dessert. I mean a teaspoon. o:) I will have some wine >:) but will be careful.

Norwegian still going well. I can now say, " The man doesn't love me. He loves beer and dogs. The dogs don't eat many vegetables, they like meat. I am reading several books and eat fish and love the teacher." :laugh:

Heather UK