WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kim for giving the extra info. I was glad you got Michele's permission as I wasn't sure how much to say. Thanks again.

Michele - This whole situation sounds extremely odd to me. A qualified therapist would never behave like this. Have you checked her qualifications? It all sounds destructive, vindictive and unprofessional.

Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Reading when I have time and trying to catch up. I had trouble figuring out where to put everything in my kitchen as I had a lot of cabinets and a big pantry in my other house. Finally figured it out so am feeling good about how much I have done. My goal everyday has been to unpack 2 to 3 boxes a day and have been doing that and sometimes more.

I could hardly walk after the move - had to use my cane all the time. Yesterday I finally was able to walk on my own and am feeling so much more energetic!

I am loving my new apartment. I think part of it is I don't have to worry about yard work anymore. Well enough about me.

Thanks to all who have been welcoming me back!

Janetr so sorry for what your family is going through. I know what it's like to have to make the decision to let a loved one go and wait until they pass. Prayers for the entire family and for those who will live through your families' unselfish gift of his organs. <3
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Michelle - sending you prayers and a million hugs. Keep talking freely to us as much as you are able. We can help you through this horrible situation. Where does you son live now?

Barbie-hoping you get clear information from your Dr. today. Sending you lots of hugs too.

Welcome to all the newbies. Nice to meet you : ).

Not much new we me. Still struggling to get back on my healthly food and exercise program, but have not given up.

Made an appointment with the dentist to have two teeth fixed later this month. Both need crowns. My favorite dentist retired and sold his practice and I stayed on with the new guy. Big mistake. Over a 15 month period he replaced all my metal fillings because they were old. Well I thought he was honest! He'd did a partial crown and just made a mess of things! My new dentist has wanted to replace the partial from day 1, but I've put it off because for my insurance to cover the tooth, 5 years needs to have passed. That won't be till Jan 2017. Can't wait it out it hurts drinking hot and cold beverages. Just life so going to take care of it.

Sending prayers and wishing you all a little peace in your day o:)

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    a quick good morning I overslept..
    have review at nursing home and then rush back here buy 9 for furnace guy..
    My DSIL is on her way to Florida.. but she cant find her drivers license, how they let her on the flight is beyond me, but she has rented a car and wont be able to pick that up....told her after furnace guy leaves I can go look for it up and the house and then send it down.. if not she will have to pay for taxi's everywhere
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Had to shovel this morning and I got a late start; so I only have had time to catch up with the reading! No time to reply right now, but know that I am thinking of you all and I hope every one has a wonderful day/evening! ttyl

Kelly
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's 6:30 am. I'm sitting in the hospital ICU room watching my son struggle to breathe. He went into respiratory arrest about 2am and his wife called an ambulance. He's settled down quite a bit, as he was terribly agitated at first. I'm hoping he will fall asleep and get some rest, but they have all these machines going, and tubes everywhere, so it will be hard for him to sleep. Every so often he jerks and twitches and coughs and gags which disturbs the oxygen mask so they have to come in and straighten him out. He's awake and semi lucid. Very semi lucid.

When his wife called me I thought she wanted me to come sit with the kids while she went up to the hospital, but it turned out that he wanted me to come to the hospital because I have his power of attorney and they are legally separated. So, he keeps asking me to message her and tell her that he loves her. When the ambulance pulled away from his building they were not using their flashing lights and were not in a hurry, which scared me to death.

She said she is keeping the kids home from school today. So after she gets herself up and around I'm sure she will want to come up to the hospital so I will go sit with the kids. It's going to be a long day with no sleep.

The doctor in charge of the ICU is the same pulmonologist who he claims tried to kill him and he's make me promise not to let Dr. Bailey touch him. He doesn't want me to leave him alone for a minute.

Hubby came to the hospital with me but I sent him home after we found out what was going on. He doesn't have class today, so he will probably be able to help with the kids later. What a mess!

Well, he has fallen asleep at last. So I'm going to try to rest a little too. They gave me a recliner.

Bye for now.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Michele so sorry about your situation and pain. Sounds like you need to find a different therapist to help your family heal. I know this has been said before "On a plane they tell you to give yourself oxygen first before you try to help anyone else." I need this reminder too. It is not selfish to take care of yourself. Tune out the guilters, should sayers, and manipulators. Easier said than done. Only you know what is best for you. :flowerforyou:

:heart: Margaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when my son was a baby and I used to sit by the crib and just watch him breathe. The sound of his breathing has become a lot more gentle, so a lot of my stress has eased up too. It really is the little things that mean the most.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Sylvia~ I am so sorry that you are having to go through this... if you have your cell phone with you and can come a cross a set of headphones.. try the app "Calm" it is a meditation app and it has helped immensely... sending loving thoughts to all who need them..
    Aunt Mary isn't doing well they have her on a ventilator and tried weaning her off yesterday, and that didnt go well.. I am hoping this has a better outcome than what it looks like..
    went to see DFIL and they have the place quarentined nice of them to call me.. they must have called SIL who is POA and she didnt let me know..
    I am packing to go up to Faiths this afternoon, will do some stuff around here first...
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I am so sorry you're dealing with this with your son! I wish I could bundle you up in my arms for a real life hug. Please keep us up-to-date as much as you are able. And, don't forget to take care of Sylvia. ((((HUG))))

Michele - I deliberately thought about this overnight before I said anything. 1) The things Bryan was complaining about sound like typical parenting to me. 2) The "therapist" sounds like she has issues. 3) My childhood was pretty lousy and I feel justified in saying that the key thing for Bryan is simply to grow up and take responsibility for his own life and his own actions and feelings. I realize that my parents did the best they knew how in the circumstances that they were in. Yes, they screwed up horribly, but I make my choices in life now and I choose to be the best person I can be regardless of what happened in childhood. Unless you did something purposely to hurt Bryan, then you have nothing to apologize for. I'm assuming you did the best you could just like the rest of us. I sure hope you heal quickly! I can't imagine you being confined to the house. ((((HUG))))

The deal for buying a truck fell through so the boy child is still using my car. This really has got to end! I need my car back and he needs his independence. He is missing his friends in Charlotte but knows he can't leave me car-less for a full weekend to go visit them. I'm going to try to tackle his dad again tomorrow.

I've had a couple days of unwise eating but today is a new day. Do any of you have advice on how to deal with fatigue? I follow good sleep hygiene (I go to bed at close to the same time each night with very little variation on the weekends, temps are right, etc.) but I pretty much always feel exhausted. In fact, I was so tired when I left work last night that I really was not safe to be driving.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I have had two really nasty cold sores over the past few weeks--I haven't been sick. It occurred to me yesterday that, for years, I got strep or bronchitis every February, like clockwork. I always figured it was my body's response to the stress of financial year-end at work on top of the holidays. I haven't had the strep or bronchitis for the past few years, but I have had a cold sore in February for at least the past three years. I guess if I'm going to have a stress related health issue, a cold sore (even two) is much better than strep or bronchitis!

I'm going to go take a walk around the building for a few minutes to stretch my legs and in an attempt to wake up. I hope everyone has a good day!

Carol in COLD NC

• DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello friends - I've been trying to read through all the posts. Seems like many of us are going through a lot of "stuff" right now. Prayers for each one that is having a tough time. (((Hugs))) The sun will shine again - eventually.

On the positive side, I have been walking everyday and tracking everyday for over a week. I have yet to see the scales move down, but that doesn't mean I'm quitting. It's hard to maintain control when it's my turn to spend the night with my mom. Bless her heart, she's in stage 5 renal failure and has always been an independent woman. It's really hard to see her struggle with everyday living tasks. I know this won't last forever and I want to spend as much time as possible with her. Thank God there are 5 of us siblings and several grandchildren to share in her care.

My BP was up yesterday when I had my checkup. 143/93. That's high for me. There's a lot of stress in my life right now.

Donna in cold, cold WV

• TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just checking in for the morning. I hope today brings improved circumstances for those who need them and continued sunshine for those who don't.
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Michele That sounds totally screwed up. Therapists are supposed to facilitate a conversation, not pass judgement. I spent plenty of time blaming my parents for stuff, but a good therapist helped me accept responsibility for my own actions and move past that. Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with this...and over skype no less.

Sylvia It's a never ending stress-fest with your son. I hope you can do something for yourself.

I'm procrastinating, but am going to get up now and go workout.

Kimses in MA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria in WA: I'm so happy for you! It is good to know you love your new home. :flowerforyou:

Rosie: A good dentist is so vital. I'm sorry the person who took over your old dentist's office turned out to be unsatisfactory. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: You and your son are in my prayers. :heart:

Michele: Focus or your own health for now. I agree with Margaret, "Michele so sorry about your situation and pain. Sounds like you need to find a different therapist to help your family heal. I know this has been said before "On a plane they tell you to give yourself oxygen first before you try to help anyone else." I need this reminder too. It is not selfish to take care of yourself. Tune out the guilters, should sayers, and manipulators. Easier said than done. Only you know what is best for you. " :heart:

DH has an appointment with a surgeon today for an exam. He has a cyst on his back that needs to be removed & the surgeon will examine him. We've been told the actual removal will be an additional appointment. I'm hoping the surgery will be an office visit and not a full-blown surgery with anesthesia & an operating room.

Good thoughts for each of you.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning all

Still have the flu bug...but tried to go to work yesterday, that was a mistake!! So back at home today. DH has my flu bug - so of course it is now the END OF THE WORLD!!! MEN!!

I am going to sterilize the house today so hopefully we get rid of some of the bugs before DGD shows up on Saturday.

Hugs to all

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :) Morning!

Sending good healing thoughts and prayers to all those in need. Hang in there and glimpses of light will appear in your tunnels of life I am sure of it!

Cheri in snowy NE oHIo
  • jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hugs and prayers to Sylvia, Michelle, Anne, and the others who are facing physical, emotional, and family challenges.

Joyce in SD
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sylvia - Big HUGS. <3<3<3

Went out this pm to buy some special food to have for Valentines Day. We were looking for Dover Sole, but the place that normally stocks it didn't have any. Had to buy fillet steak instead. :'( Poor us! :bigsmile: Having it with garlic butter and fresh peas and asparagus. DH is having a jacket potato.
    Starting with ready prepared chilli and coriander prawns and finishing with the remains of the blood orange sorbet I made for Burns Night. So hardly any actual cooking to do. We bought each other a case of posh wines for our Christmas presents, so we will be having the posh champagne out of that.

I'm starting to think about next week when the grandchildren and DS & DDIL are staying. Apparently DGD is already talking about "making biscuits with grandma". HELP!!!!!!!!! I think I will make meatballs in advance, as everyone likes those. Then buy some ready prepared bits and pieces. My children have got used to gourmet meals, so I have made a rod for my own back. :'( I need two proper "dinners" and a few extra meals for the grandkids.

The case for my tablet has lost its corners. I only bought it in October so I've emailed the company to see if they will replace it.

Also rang the cruise company to see if we can pay our bill in two halves. (We fund our own holidays ) They said yes, but DH wants to pay with a credit card. They charge 2% :noway:

I hope everyone's struggles and troubles soon resolve themselves. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather in the south of England, bathed in sunshine.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I am so sorry your son is struggling. You are in my thoughts throughout the day. ((hugs))

Carol, fatigue can be caused by many things. I would ask your doctor about it. We tend to discount it and not bring it up but it is a symptom, often the first, of many things that can go wrong. Your doctor should do some blood work to make sure there isn't something like anemia or a vitamin deficiency or thyroid issues causing it. Then you might want to look in to a sleep study. It is not normal to be dangerously sleepy just driving home from work if you are getting enough time to sleep. It could be sleep apnea. It could be diabetes. It could be so many things but it needs to be addressed.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well 332.98 later the furnace is clean~ yikes!!! hope Jean got down there safely