WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. The one who said people are going to stop coming is more than likely right. Two women left in the middle of class today, but they weren't regulars. One of the regulars didn't show up today. I guarantee the one who has lost 80 lbs and looks fantastic is not going to give up her weights for two weeks.

The saddest part is that I may never be able to eat blueberries again!

This exercise is supposed to be way more than a Kiegel. It is supposed to maintain tension in the midline from your breastbone to your pelvic bone. In defense of the program, it does get back to some serious training after the two weeks of breathing and picking up imaginary blueberries. After the first week, we add lunges and squats to the glute bridges and leg lifts and drop the ball and the clams. Then the third week we get to do weights again.

I will continue to go to the class because the support, especially from the woman who was my size and is now 80 lbs less, is fantastic. I am more of a team player than a Lone Ranger. It is the class that has kept me going. I would always quit when I tried to do it by myself. But I do have some Dumbbells at home that I can continue working on my arms until we get back to the program.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a step DVD, didn't really have much problem at all. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jari Love Ripped DVD.

We have another Skype session with Bryan. This time Vince is DEFINITELY going to be with me

Did a load of laundry. I wanted to get as many socks and underwear washed so that we can pack them. It's pretty icy so I have a feeling that we might not leave for FL until Thurs, by the time we can get everything done that we need to get done.

CSSJ - I'm 5'1" and I find that I don't eat back my exercise calories. If I do, then I'd never lose anything. I sometimes will go a bit over, but with the exercise I know that I have a "buffer". I just note it in the note section. We all have to do what works for us, and eating back my exercise calories doesn't work for me. I keep a word doument opened, write my replies on it, then cut and paste when I'm ready to post.

Lenora - I do hope you get answers for your hubby.

joanne - welcome! So glad to hear that all your scans were clear. Yes, being healthy is tops. One thing I've found helpful on this thread is that I got some very good ideas of foods/exercise

Woke up and there's LOTS of ice on the roads. I don't blame anyone not going out in it, I even had trouble getting to the garbage can which is right outside the garage to put in the used cat litter. Well, it's supposed to warm up later today. Right now you can see the steam rising from our deck and some of the ice is starting to drip, but the roads are still bad.

KJ - so glad things went well for your sis yesterday. "This too shall pass". She's so lucky to have you with her. Do you do exercises for your plantar faciatis? Which ones do you do, especially which do you do in the pool? I usually stand on the ladder for a bit before getting into the pool and drop my feet down. Is there a reason why a person couldn't use a dumbbell instead of a kettlebell? I just don't have room for all the equipment -- a step, a bosu, rebounder, risers for the steps, different size weights, ball, bands, TRX.

katla - I'll be thinking of your husband today. Hope you coffee is better. I'm lucky in that I'm not a coffee drinker, but I find that I always keep a tea bag with me. Most places will have at least hot water.

Alison - thank you for your well wishes going to FL. I'm afraid that I'm not going to enjoy my time down there this year since I can't drive. There are just so many things that I look forward to, and being dependent on Vince to take me everywhere is going to really put a damper on it. Oh well...this, too, shall pass.

We had the Skype session. Basically, we're going to continuing having them. Bryan was VERY upset that Vince was there, but I needed him. We could tell by Bryan's facial expression. When I told him about how I got him into the gifted program because that was one of his needs (added academic stimulation) and his therapist asked how he felt about it, there was a loooooonnnnnggg silence on the part of Bryan. Thank goodness Vince was there. You know what, the "letter" he sent me really hurt me at times, but I'm just going to put it in the past. I did mention how a few years ago he said that he wanted adult communication and so I started sending him and Diana short emails, just "thinking of you" and not once did either one of them respond to me. I sent him a friend request on Facebook, he never acknowledged me. He unfriended me saying that "I don't have time for Facebook" then I see him posting to his sisters. That's when he asked that we not assume how they feel (not mention them). I tried to look up his therapist on the Internet, but it was all in French and I couldn't read it.

Donna and everyone else - "yes, we can"

drkatiebug - I can't see not doing weight training, but doing it in addition to what that lady has you doing. Can you maybe do weight training on your own? I know of at least one yoga instructor (so you know that she's breathing right) and she has a pooch. To me, it seems to come with age. One day I looked in the mirror and said "where did THAT come from?" Don't forget to work your back muscles in addition to your core or else you will wind up having your stomach stick out even further.

Lisa - miss you tons and hope everything's OK. Later: thanks for popping in, can't wait to hear what's been going on

Linda - that uFit sounds interesting, what will they measure on the biometric screening? I'm assuming one of the measurements will be BMI, how will they measure it? Only good thoughts for your dad. Prayers that the surgery is successful

Sylvia - you are such a god send to those kids and I know they'll never forget it. I can't believe your son left the hosp!!! Morbid as this sounds -- maybe he's thinking that he'd rather die at home. Sorry, I know that's not something you want to hear. It's probably not something that'll happen except in his mind, anyway. Good for you losing!

Irish Terri - looking forward to hearing all about your trip. So sorry about your godmother. It's always hard. I felt a special closeness to my godmother and when she passed I flew up to VA then Jess and I drove to the funeral. There was a snowstorm so my return flight was delayed a day or two.

Right after dinner I was sitting watching TV and had this "weird" feeling in my stomach, and I was SOOOO cold. I have diahhrrhea.

Yvonne - I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. Sounds like you have a good plan

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    DH and I just got back from seeing the movie The Big Short. we both liked it and thought it thought provoking.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    cprbt1swll3b.jpeg

Nite peeps
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I've missed reading about how you ended up with the grandkids living with you but I'm sure they are much better off there for now. They are lucky to have you in their lives.

Kjlamore - My dad is 80 as well so I hope things turn out as well as they did for your MIL.

Barbie - oh poor Brandy. Hope that legs heals soon.

Michelle - I am glad you were able to have the Skype session with Bryan and his therapist. Sounds like a step in the right direction. I'm not sure how they will measure BMI but I'll let you know. They also take a blood sample to measure our cholesterol and glucose levels.

Had a session with a personal trainer tonight as part of my uFit program. I've been doing mostly cardio and the trainer focused mostly on strength. Was a good session and I felt like a complete wet noodle afterwards. But then I took advantage of the hot tub in the locker room. I will sleep good tonight. Speaking of sleep, heading to bed now.

Night all,

Linda/IA
  • joannestevens1962
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Well we had lovely whether today in Aussie land.Only reached 24 degrees not the average of a hot and humid 30+. I dare say tomorrow it will be back to the average. Took my younger two kids to the shops (20 and 22) and walked the length which is over a kilometre. Still living at home as they are both university students and they return next week.
    I've been tracking my food intake and staying under my calorie limits but there has been no change in my weight so far. I'm not giving up though. I really need to get fitter and healthier. I'm going to set my alarm in the morning and go for an early walk before it gets too hot. Now that I have seen my surgeon today and she doesn't want to see me for 12 months I might be able to sleep again. Fingers crossed. Hope everyone is well, Jo
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Poor Brandy~ Both Homer and Chester have had to wear the cone of shame..
    Michelle ~ so sorry that Bryan is being so indignant....is there any way you can find out if they have a senior van, or any side trips you can do down there while Vince does his thing? I would check that out... I bet you could find something..
    I dont go into work until 1.. and I should go to the gym, but havent gone in so long, I really have to get back into it and lose the weight, I have thrown most of it out the window....DFIL still in quarentine down at the nursing home.Told them to call me when it has been lifted..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Michele - glad the Skype went a bit better, but sorry you have an upset stomach. Sounds like you need that holiday! :flowerforyou: Do you have Google Translate for the French?

The guttering men are here. Three workers plus the boss man calling around. No wonder it's so expensive! They make the aluminium continuous runs on site. They look very smart, I must say, much better than the flimsy plastic stuff we had before. We are hoping they will be finished by the time my DDIL and grandchildren arrive tomorrow. Their plans have all gone awry as the child care broke down (it's half term holiday week here) and they had to dash down to her parents to drop the kids off. My son has the car so her mum is bringing them all over in her car tomorrow. DS will join us in the evening. A lot of botheration when you are 8 months pregnant.

I will be getting a bit of last minute shopping stuff in this afternoon and making the sorbet.

Unfortunately my tooth is bothering me again. Last time it subsided by itself, but I still have the antibiotics I got then in the cupboard. I know I've got to have it out, but I am playing ostrich about the expense and the bother. My dentist is not NHS so the cost could be substantial. However, I can't go on with these flare ups. :'(

Love to all. Heather UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Jo, and welcome!

Whereabouts in Australia are you? Sounds as though you're pretty far north and east, though I don't know diddly-squat about the climate on the west coast.

I was down under once a long time ago. We visited Melbourne in the spring (ah, the scent of freesias :heart: coming up between the pavingstones in the sidewalks!) and then went on to Cairns (where I got severe sunburn on the single square inch of skin my husband missed when he slathered on sunscreen for me). Our trip to Australia was actually the first time we left the kids at home alone. Our son had turned 18, so he was to be considered an adult, and though his sister was two years younger, she has always been very level-headed and responsible. So we said we'd see them in a couple weeks, waved good-bye and headed off halfway around the world.

I'm still working on the last items on that long to-do list that had me freaking out from stress a couple weeks ago. I'm down to just four on the original list, but a couple new things have crept onto it. :angry:

I read the posts from time to time and I'm thinking of everyone who's struggling with family and health issues. You're so strong, ladies! I admire you all!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    DrKatie ... Sounds like you have a plan!

Michele ... Glad to hear your Skype session was better.

Today is a new day!
    Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good morning.Keep meaning to ans a few posts,so here we go.
    Someone asked where I live? Born & raised a Buckeye.3 yrs ago we moved to the central part of the state to be closer to DD & her family.Other DD lives in Fl.....at least for a while. Her DH plans to take early retirement & they will move to NC.

We have 3 Grkids,2 in FL & one Great Grandson,also in Fl.Our family is small but close. My Sis has lived in MN for many yrs.

[/b]oyce,I never had an eye floater till Dr used laser on my eyes. His response was "they will go away in a few days".....then "give it a few wks", then "ppl get used to them"......Not happening! That was a yr ago....still waiting.......call him the Quack dr.....& family knows to be super careful when choosing an eye Dr. .......Sigh.....forgive the rant

My long simmered beef veggie soup is smelling so yummy! Will be lunch & then into zip lock bags....froze for later.Love,love having home made food ready to heat & eat!

Yummo on the homemade bread.I have 2 slices of bread for a lunch sandwich most days. Cutting back to 2 slices was huge,cause I no longer have bread for 2 meals a day. Slow learner is me,but that is one of my earlier food plans that stuck. Wondering how many slices of bread Oprah eats every day? That little detail isn't mentioned.

Sylvia,it isn't easy when your life is changed .......plus the worry about your son.Still,if they live with you full time,they know you & Grpa.....that alone will help.They know your home,your way of living,.......& you know them.Makes a world of difference when strangers aren't involved.Hope your son is doing ok.

Michele.....WOW a broken cheek bone sounds painful! DH has always been good about driving me around after surgery,but I am glad when I get back to driving. Who wants to look around,shop,etc....when there is someone waiting? Plus,......just miss the bit of privacy. Took him a looong time to "get"what privacy means to me.

Barbie,your poor Brandy.Bet you are getting soulful looks saying " please take it off" ?

Pip,those puppies aren't spoiled are they? They look so calm & cute.

Well,that is about all I recall. Good thoughts to all with surgery & Medical problems.

Here is a pic of last nights supper for myself....taken before cooking just a few minutes in a skillet.Shredded zucchinni,white beans,diced tomato,onion garlic & a sauce of sesame oil,soy sauce etc,along with small green salad....tasty for 380 cals....3 meatballs was enough.Keep them in freezer.Pat

oe27kxxibs43.jpeg

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Going to try and make this a good day short of having going to the periodontist this morning I am going to try and be positive and eat better.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mornin' I am experimenting with attaching a photo of DD hands after she had henna applied on her trip to india. she has to wait one hour before peeling of the treatment (like clay) and then left with only color which she says will last 2-3 weeks!
    dn203zw32hkk.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    crazy huh? proud of myself for figuring out how to post a pic, ah technology! :D Karen from NY
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    <3 thanks for the worries, ladies, I'm fine, been reading, but too crazy busy to write. Only son is home, with his sweet little wife of one year... teaching both to make bread, pasta and crackers from scratch. Fun!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Sorry I was gone all day yesterday. Some days at work are just like that. Accept my apologies, but I am going to jump to the most recent page. Hugs ! ! !

Barbie – poor Brandy. I find it interesting that they call it a Zen cone, so hopefully she will be able to stay calm. I hope the healing progresses quickly.

MsWolf – Nice babysteps. 2 Pepsi per week is much better than 7 or more. Keep moving forward. You Can Do This ! ! !

Michele – On the Internet on Google, you can translate. Simply do a google search called Google Translate. If you know the language, it will translate it quite well for you. I’m glad Vince was there for you ! // I hope your tummy gets better quickly ! ! !

Karen – your DD’s henna is amazing. Someone spent a LOT of time and talent on that creation. She is so lucky ! ! !

Today I get my second sticker for the week. I went over a little bit, but on flavorful things that made me happy and full. Plus, I had to eat softer foods, since I was at the dentist yesterday (just replacing an old filling). Today is more leftovers, then lots of fruits and vegetables. Time to buckle-down for real, not just talking about it. Tonight I’ll go to BigLots while the boys are bowling.

That’s about all for now. My hand is terribly swollen, so I need to get work done between ice sessions.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Karen - Loving the henna! Gorgeous! February is when we always went to India, because the weather is cooler and dryer. That also means it's the wedding season, with fireworks going off everywhere and parties lasting days. My DH was invited into one at the old palace we were staying at. Unfortunately I was in bed with Delhi belly. :'(

Heather UK