Just walking

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    :D ah bless, it'd be like a lake for the little one! Too cute. Can you see any of the animals from there? Or hear the lions roar? That would be very cool

Nooo... They keep us walkers well away from all the action. They want to sell tickets after all. ;)
  • CollieFit
    Options
    @CollieFit This picture melted my heart, so bloody cute :heart:

Thank you. :) Both are rescue dogs. Our collie girl was surrendered out of a domestic violence situation and the little one was put onto Gumtree "free to a good home" by his careless owner who concealed the fact that he needed urgent surgery for a heart defect. Free to a good home dogs often end up as bait dogs with dog fighters, so he was taken in by a rescue I was involved with and we fundraised for his surgery (a PDA closure). Both are very happy and healthy dogs now. :)

• CollieFit
    Options
    We have a lot of beautiful land in the country, but it's private property and no one is allowed to walk on it. You guys have a different law over there, right? You can walk on other peoples land?
    Where I live we have LOTS of public rights of way, bridgeways and restricted and permissive byways, so we are very lucky in that respect. We also have nice woodlands managed by the Woodland Trust (a UK charity) and quite a few National Trust properties which are dog friendly. Lacock for example is on my doorstep and there are plenty of footpaths around the grounds. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lacock-abbey-fox-talbot-museum-and-village/features/a-historic-village-with-a-modern-community
  • CollieFit
    Options
    I've just discovered Earth spirit shoes, they are really cushioned and have inbuilt shock absorbers in the soles. Plus they are really eco friendly. Just waiting on delivery now, can't wait

I have some Superfeet insoles for my hiking boots, which I find helpful.
    http://www.walking.org/equipment-reviews/walking-accessories-reviews/walking-insoles-guide/
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I've just discovered Earth spirit shoes, they are really cushioned and have inbuilt shock absorbers in the soles. Plus they are really eco friendly. Just waiting on delivery now, can't wait

http://www.walking.org/equipment-reviews/walking-accessories-reviews/walking-insoles-guide/

Thank you for this, just ordered a pair from Amazon :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Christine, we are envious of your hot weather and lovely beaches :D well I am anyway

We have a lot of beautiful land in the country, but it's private property and no one is allowed to walk on it. You guys have a different law over there, right? You can walk on other peoples land?

One of the three places I walk is on the trails behind my house. I consider trails to be public or to have a right-of-way. Not sure how accurate I am.

I tried to see lot maps from the property appraiser but was unable. Not sure how accurate the lot maps from Google Earth are, but the land I walk on appears to be all owned by one person, who rents out the house, so I don't imagine the property out back is aggressively guarded :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

@CollieFit - which kind do you have?
  • sherrique55
    sherrique55 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i enjoy walking. I didn't think you could hurt yourself walking. I thought injuries were a runner's bag. You all have some beautiful pets.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do other stuff as well, but we walk a lot. 1keikauxg4es.jpg

@CollieFit OMG cutest doggy pic EVER! <3
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise - it's one of my main ones :)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise - it's one of my main ones :)

You've done it now, you gotta post us a pic!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't do "just walking", but walking is the one exercise that I can keep doing no matter what season. I try to be a distance hiker, so in the winter, I usually walk on streets or frozen lakes to minimize the amount of snow I'd have to walk through.
    Getting a Fitbit and being awarded badges has also been a very motivating factor in walking. My two big goals for this summer, walking-wise, is to walk a marathon and to earn the Genie badge (75,000 steps in a day).
  • CollieFit
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@CollieFit - which kind do you have?

Hello :)

I use the orange ones in my hiking boots because my feet are as flat as a pancake and I pronate, so I need lots of arch support.
    http://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/insoles-and-sandals/orange

On the Superfeet website you can explore their range by activity as well as foot type, so you can see which ones might be best for you. I also have some for running and cycling. For running I use the greens.
    http://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/insoles-and-sandals/green
  • lgay14
    lgay14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @CollieFit great shot of the dogs! That is some beautiful scenery, where are you?
    @rjan91 I like to walk when it's cool and crisp, on a spring day would be my favourite. Canada sounds to me less cool and crisp and more losing fingers and toes to frostbite :D
    I'm totally sold on wanting to visit though, it looks and sounds beautiful

Oh but our summers and autumns are so fabulous. Makes up for the ugly winter.
  • lgay14
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    These pictures are inspirational! No wonder you are walking all the time! I love to walk, but another Canadian here. Not as cold as Manitoba - but Ontario is still pretty cold right now! If I lived by the beach - where it was warm - I'd walk everyday!

Yes I heard southern Ontario was in a deep freeze. I am originally from Brampton and my sister and hubby's brother are still both in the GTA area as are both our mothers. We are back there 3-4 times a year. When we moved here 30 years ago, it was either hibernate or invest in warm clothes and embrace the winter. Being outdoor people, we embraced the winter. They have a saying here when people comment on our extreme cold temps " but it's a dry cold"! It is really true. The dampness of southern Ontario is a factor as to how cold you feel. Don't get me wrong. Anything below -25 is darn cold but the minus teens don't feel as cold to us as they do in the GTA. Having said all that - I too envy those of you in the warmer climates where you get little or no snow. So much more fun walking when you are not bundled up like the Michelin Man
    ek7veir7sy0k.png
  • lgay14
    Options

Thank you. :) Both are rescue dogs. Our collie girl was surrendered out of a domestic violence situation and the little one was put onto Gumtree "free to a good home" by his careless owner who concealed the fact that he needed urgent surgery for a heart defect. Free to a good home dogs often end up as bait dogs with dog fighters, so he was taken in by a rescue I was involved with and we fundraised for his surgery (a PDA closure). Both are very happy and healthy dogs now. :)

Our Rigel is also a rescue. He was found just north of Winnipeg hanging around a restaurant. After about 2 months the restaurant owner took him in and contacted the Manitoba Great Pyrenees Rescue group. They don't just take Pyrenees. Our Rigel is a black retriever/Newfoundland cross. He was 18 months old when we adopted him. He is one of the best dogs we have ever had. Not sure who rescued who as he came into our lives just before we went through a very difficult time.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    lgay14 wrote: »

Our Rigel is also a rescue. He was found just north of Winnipeg hanging around a restaurant. After about 2 months the restaurant owner took him in and contacted the Manitoba Great Pyrenees Rescue group. They don't just take Pyrenees. Our Rigel is a black retriever/Newfoundland cross. He was 18 months old when we adopted him. He is one of the best dogs we have ever had. Not sure who rescued who as he came into our lives just before we went through a very difficult time.

Often happens that way doesn't it. My collie girl came into my life after a relationship break-up and our littlest one came to us when my dad was dying of cancer. I do think they rescue us. <3
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Our city built an amazing coastal walkway which is 13kms (8 miles) long, fantastic place to walk/jog/run/bike etc. I walk here every chance I get and there are always people on it.

5hur5bao211g.jpg
    9klembbirkci.jpg

I'm jealous of your walking paths, those look beautiful!

• CollieFit
    Options
    This is our local tow path, near our canal. It goes on for miles and miles. :)

1e0lne77jdwk.jpg

hnzpioe5yjx7.jpg